Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say don't stress over the bars if the signal strength under "about" is fine.

They should really just remove the bars completely and just have a binary "connected or not connected" since it is rarely useful info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, thanks for the confirmation that my bars are weird. And yeah, I definitely get better speeds downtown and at work than at home (well...if for whatever reason I'm not on wifi at either place.)

nimper posted:

Great job posting an exact map of your whereabouts! Goons are gonna take pictures of your house and place of employment now.

:ohdear: :tinfoil:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
New thread title owns.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

But therein lies the rub, why would you recommend it over other phones without those UI drawbacks?

This is the rightest answer/question to the Great G2 Debate of 2013.

The G2 does some things well. Does it do those things well-er enough to recommend it over other phones with good-cameras/large-screens/whatever-else-you-like about the G2 when weighed against its drawbacks?

If so, good for you, you found the best phone for your needs. (The answer for the vast majority of people is going to be "no" (or "yes", people are weird))

I'd like many more posts arguing about the G2 now. Thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wheany posted:

Is the reason that the official Nexus wireless charger is not available outside the US (it seems), because it's so popular or because it's not popular enough?

It's available in Canada.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

New thread title owns.

I was at least hoping to replace this BRCT with a new one, but a new thread title will do.

This sentence says what I wanted to say way better than I was able to say it:

Thermopyle posted:

The G2 does some things well. Does it do those things well-er enough to recommend it over other phones with good-cameras/large-screens/whatever-else-you-like about the G2 when weighed against its drawbacks?

That said, message received and I will shut up about the G2.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Did anyone else's Nexus 5 get super fuckin loud after the last update? I've always had my ringer/notification sounds on max and now it seems waaaaaaay louder.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KoB posted:

Did anyone else's Nexus 5 get super fuckin loud after the last update? I've always had my ringer/notification sounds on max and now it seems waaaaaaay louder.

Yep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KoB posted:

My RMA was louder, not sure if it was 4.4.2 that did it or the new phone hardware (I read that apparently there were some minor hardware tweaks to phones shipped after the first batch such as bigger speaker holes?).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I did terrible things with my phone. Bricked it, couldn't find a Samsung rom to put on it and went put on a cyanogen rom instead.

I take back every defense and positive comment I've ever posted about TouchWiz.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"asu" means arbitrary strength unit. In case of 3G and LTE, it's just the signal strength in dBm and adding a static value to it. In case of GSM and EDGE, there's also a multiplicator in play.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boiled Water posted:

I did terrible things with my phone. Bricked it, couldn't find a Samsung rom to put on it and went put on a cyanogen rom instead.

You got gumption, kid.

:golfclap:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Touchwiz isn't bad but the design language looks awful (because Gingerbread looked awful) and while it's functional I would never willingly take any of it over stock Google except for their camera app.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I went to AOKP on my Note 2 and it's literally more stable than Samsung's stock 4.3. My phone would randomly reboot at the weirdest times. I'm willing to give up the camera app for my phone not rebooting when I wake it with the home button.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Boiled Water posted:

After putting CM10.2 on my GS3, I am echoing this. I tried out the 4.3 release without Knox, and it was just not what I wanted. After putting on CM, it was faster, easier to use, more functional, all the things I should have assumed from the start. Speaking of the camera app, are there any good samsung replacements? I have used Vignette so far and its fine, but id love a camera which did HDR/low light/etc.

Now I just need to take the plunge and flash CM11

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

At least you had 4.3. The international versions are all running 4.2.2.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Boiled Water posted:

At least you had 4.3. The international versions are all running 4.2.2.

Mine is still running 4.1.2 here in Canada...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Welp does that mean the update just applied to freedomland? I'm appalled.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Re the Nexus 5:

LastInLine posted:

I hate the headphone jack being at the wrong end.

I'll second this. It makes it impossible to pull my phone out of my pocket and look at the screen when I'm wearing earphones - especially during these cold months when they're routed underneath a clothing layer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spincube posted:

Re the Nexus 5:

I'll second this. It makes it impossible to pull my phone out of my pocket and look at the screen when I'm wearing earphones - especially during these cold months when they're routed underneath a clothing layer.

In the winter, if you aren't using a bluetooth headset you are doing it wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM

Something like the MW600 is perfect. The phone stays in your pocket, and clip the headset to your jacket. I've recommend this to several of my friends and they all love it.

It's especially handy if you walk a lot, in NYC having those headphone cables flopping around is just asking for trouble. I've had numerous people hook my headphone cable with their umbrella. Detaching the phone and the cable is a great advantage.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

This is the rightest answer/question to the Great G2 Debate of 2013.

If so, good for you, you found the best phone for your needs. (The answer for the vast majority of people is going to be "no" (or "yes", people are weird))

I'd like many more posts arguing about the G2 now. Thanks.

In summary, the difference is:

G2 = better hardware
Nexus 5 = non-bloated software

If you don't care about hardware such as battery, speakers, camera, removable storage, etc... and only care about ASOP, unbloated software, then buy a Nexus. A lot of people in this thread literally only care about this one thing, and they were always, and will always, buy a Nexus regardless of how much better hardware another phone has or how much they argue about phones. And, frankly, there is really nothing to argue about because there is only one Nexus phone released each year. If you're one of those people, then just go out and buy the next Nexus ffs.

Other people care more about hardware. Take battery life for instance. Who cares if your phone was coded by loving allah himself - if it runs out of power, then your blessed phone that was running the most kosher sw ever is now just as useless as a brick. This can only realistically be improved by better hw.

The whole argument about the G2 stems from people with conflicting opinions on how much software or hardware should be valued in their own minds, and their own narcissistic need to state that only they are right. In actuality, no one is right, and no one is "weird" for preferring hw or sw. Again, it boils down to hardware vs software for the end user.

P.S. I don't own a G2 or a Nexus 5.

I wasn't clear on if we really aren't supposed to talk about the G2 anymore. If so, then please remove this post.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Something like the MW600 is perfect. The phone stays in your pocket, and clip the headset to your jacket. I've recommend this to several of my friends and they all love it.

It's especially handy if you walk a lot, in NYC having those headphone cables flopping around is just asking for trouble. I've had numerous people hook my headphone cable with their umbrella. Detaching the phone and the cable is a great advantage.

I have the MW600, and just got one of the LG Tone behind-the-neck headsets. So much better, and far less cable to tangle.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The Gadfly posted:

Other people care more about hardware. Take battery life for instance. Who cares if your phone was coded by loving allah himself - if it runs out of power, then your blessed phone that was running the most kosher sw ever is now just as useless as a brick. This can only realistically be improved by better hw.

iOS manages to get good battery life out of phones that have a smaller battery than the Gnex so no you're wrong, good software can make less impressive hardware get more mileage.

Of course we're talking about Android here so that's a crapshoot.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yep.

The MW600 is the poo poo. I use mine all the time, great for sporty stuff.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Seconding the LG Tone (not tone+, havent tried that one). Super comfortable, great sound quality, great range, good battery life.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I have a Galaxy S3 that is having some memory problems. It constantly is telling me that I only have <2GB of memory left, and when I see what is taking up all my memory it just says that almost 80% of my memory is taken up by "downloads". However, when I go into the downloads section, it is empty. I torrent a lot of things on my phone, could it be related to that? Can someone help me fix this? Thanks!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Xandoom posted:

So I have a Galaxy S3 that is having some memory problems. It constantly is telling me that I only have <2GB of memory left, and when I see what is taking up all my memory it just says that almost 80% of my memory is taken up by "downloads". However, when I go into the downloads section, it is empty. I torrent a lot of things on my phone, could it be related to that? Can someone help me fix this? Thanks!

Make sure you're looking in /mnt/sdcard/download (internal storage), rather than /mnt/extsdcard (microsd card).

Download ES File Explorer from the market if you don't have a capable file manager.

Or you can always plug it into your PC, snoop around in the SGH-XXX\Phone directory, and try to figure out what's eating all your space.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

The LG G2 is definitely the most dad-phone of 2013, for sure

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Civil posted:

Make sure you're looking in /mnt/sdcard/download (internal storage), rather than /mnt/extsdcard (microsd card).

Download ES File Explorer from the market if you don't have a capable file manager.

Or you can always plug it into your PC, snoop around in the SGH-XXX\Phone directory, and try to figure out what's eating all your space.

I hooked it up to the computer and found out what was taking all the space. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know what that com.chrome.beta:sandboxed thing is? Sometimes it shows up multiple times.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gadfly posted:

In summary, the difference is:

G2 = better hardware
Nexus 5 = non-bloated software

If you don't care about hardware such as battery, speakers, camera, removable storage, etc... and only care about ASOP, unbloated software, then buy a Nexus. A lot of people in this thread literally only care about this one thing, and they were always, and will always, buy a Nexus regardless of how much better hardware another phone has or how much they argue about phones. And, frankly, there is really nothing to argue about because there is only one Nexus phone released each year. If you're one of those people, then just go out and buy the next Nexus ffs.

The whole argument about the G2 stems from people with conflicting opinions on how much software or hardware should be valued in their own minds, and their own narcissistic need to state that only they are right. In actuality, no one is right, and no one is "weird" for preferring hw or sw. Again, it boils down to hardware vs software for the end user.

P.S. I don't own a G2 or a Nexus 5.

I wasn't clear on if we really aren't supposed to talk about the G2 anymore. If so, then please remove this post.
This is a mostly wrong post.

Largely for continuing to talk about the G2, but also for lying out a false dichotomy between hw and sw.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This is a mostly wrong post.

Largely for continuing to talk about the G2, but also for lying out a false dichotomy between hw and sw.
This isn't a G2 phenomenon though, this is an Android problem. Android fans always talk about the specs and how much better x is than y. That's why Samsung and others crank the performance on benchmarking apps because when you can't compete on experience you compete on numbers.

It's a classic example of, "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance then dazzle 'em with bullshit."

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So it's looking like the Moto X wood backed phones are going to be released very soon. Am I the only one who has been holding off on an upgrade for months waiting for the chance to own a wooden phone?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
So the difference between the Moto X Dev Edition and the regular is that the bootloader is unlockable, NOT that you can unlock

and keep your warranty. Because that is what a lot of people told me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

b0nes posted:

So the difference between the Moto X Dev Edition and the regular is that the bootloader is unlockable, NOT that you can unlock

and keep your warranty. Because that is what a lot of people told me.

Motorola stated awhile ago that they would honor all warranties on unlocked phones.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/21/motorola-developer-edition-warranties/

Edit:

I might be reading you wrong. Only Dev edition phones are unlockable. Non-dev have always been locked. If someone told you differently, they were wrong.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 17, 2013

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Moto X $150 off promo code.

H2DM-MA7C-HYHL-FZKC-KHCP

Please post if you use.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Only Dev edition phones are unlockable. Non-dev have always been locked. If someone told you differently, they were wrong.

This matrix on the Motorola site about who can unlock what must be full of lies.

In the US, Sprint, US Cellular, and T-Mobile Moto X models can be bootloader unlocked. However, AT&T and Verizon models cannot be unlocked. For these people, there are developer edition GSM and Verizon models for sale direct from Motorola.

My reading of their blog post about reinstating warranties is that this only applies to the Developer Edition devices purchased directly from Motorola. That is, some non-DE devices are unlockable but are subject to losing your warranty.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

This isn't a G2 phenomenon though, this is an Android problem. Android fans always talk about the specs and how much better x is than y. That's why Samsung and others crank the performance on benchmarking apps because when you can't compete on experience you compete on numbers.

It's a classic example of, "If you can't blind 'em with brilliance then dazzle 'em with bullshit."

Yeah, I was going to type stuff like this but then I realized I was posting about the stupid loving G2 and I couldn't muster the care.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, I didn't think any carrier branded devices could be unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I'm using an N5 (pretty happily) as an upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus. Thing is, it seems new Google Now voice doesn't play nice with concurrent multiple languages. It picks up my bassy demi-transatlantic on generic-English or US-English well enough, but I no longer get dynamic search interpretations for Russian or French or Spanish.

Am I misremembering, had I set the language to custom for each instance back then? Don't much care about OK GOOGLE recognition for other languages, but I really thought it'd pick up impromptu multi-lingual inputs. Really don't recall any fidgeting with settings and I think those instances were seamless.

• Locked thread