Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm using a 98 Iron Man 40, 72 Astonishing Wolverine and 70 Captain America with no boosts. If I'm fighting a Spidey I'll throw an All/RY on. It's a bit of a slow starter, but once I get to Recharge the match is pretty much on lockdown with 800+ in strike tiles and Cap bouncing both shields off faces. The only thing it's had trouble with so far is Daken teams due to its reliance on Wolverine matching green and providing strike tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

death .cab for qt posted:

IM and Thor don't really work well together because they fight over red and yellow. If you have maxed IM yellow, you could theoretically funnel all that AP into IM and make a buttload of protect tiles, but that just elongates the match when you can thwack out 1000 damage with Thor and kill the dangerous guys outright. I think if you swapped out IM for somebody that can churn the board into something fresh, and MAYBE swap Hawkeye for a different stunner or a character with non-RYG priority, you could easily tackle teams above your level and win.

Oh I know I could be doing this better, but I am limited by what I have!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The big list of character abilities got updated recently. I had no idea Hawkeye Classic's HP was so bad compared to literally anyone else. Even Yelena and Storm have 200 more HP.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=781

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

omnibobb posted:

Oh I know I could be doing this better, but I am limited by what I have!

If you're in need of covers, there's Wolverine covers in the last PVE Prologue chapter, as well as other places, I believe. He's easy to put together and synergizes really well with either Thor or Iron Man.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

If you're in need of covers, there's Wolverine covers in the last PVE Prologue chapter, as well as other places, I believe. He's easy to put together and synergizes really well with either Thor or Iron Man.

I've been so focused on events lately I have barely touched the last 1.5 prologue chapters. Since The Hunt is over, I'll probably jump back into that soon to kill time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You definitely should, there's a lot of hero points and covers tucked away in there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I just started diving into the last Prologue chapter as well, trying to mop up some HP and Wolverine covers

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

My spideyman is 1/1/3 currently and I have an extra cover for the passive purple sitting in my cache. Should I make him 1/1/4 with the hopes of being 4/5/4 or should I sell it and try to eventually be 5/5/3?

Any other max spidey combo suggestions?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

SpclKen posted:

My spideyman is 1/1/3 currently and I have an extra cover for the passive purple sitting in my cache. Should I make him 1/1/4 with the hopes of being 4/5/4 or should I sell it and try to eventually be 5/5/3?

Max purple, leave yellow at 3.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

SpclKen posted:

I asked the same question awhile back and was urged to go 3/5/5 because of the latest buff to his purple passive. My Spidey is 2/5/1 and at 2 with 5 webs on the board, I am healing all allies for 1750. I can easily get the healing up over 2500 per ally by the end of a match. 3 in his yellow ability should definitely be enough as with a maxed out purple, you will be taking less damage anyway.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Now If I could just get some yellow for my spidey. I have 3 purp and 2 blue, but no yellow, which makes him kinda useless.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I read that advice about Spidey's yellow. He's sitting at 1/3/1 after a second place win yesterday and some very lucky token redemptions prior to that. So now just need to look out for blues and purples. I need to get Wolverine built up some more, then I'll have a pretty sweet team.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Peechka posted:

Now If I could just get some yellow for my spidey. I have 3 purp and 2 blue, but no yellow, which makes him kinda useless.

Certainly not useless. Yellow is good to have, but blue is absolutely vital because it's the best lockdown in the game and you're 2/5 of the way to having that in hand.

The crabs are pinching in NHB but at least this one flips the color order -- two through ten all get the desirable Green cover instead of just #2. If I can snag two of those this week my Widow will be at 5/3/4 and then there will be some serious sniping of skulls. (Rag - Widow Grey - Spidey is already my favorite NHB team of the moment.)

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I wish they would randomize which color you pull as an event reward. The last few have had purple Moonstone as the 325 point reward. My Moonstone has had 5 purple for awhile now. I guess it's good for 125 iso, which is 3 more fights I don't have to pay for a R/Y or P/B buff.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Can I sell my Modern Black Widow at this point? I have a 2-power Grey and 1-power Original or Classic or whatever.. Don't really see myself going back to Modern.

I really need to do some house cleaning. I have so many dudes that I'm holding onto just in case I get more.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

intangible posted:

I wish they would randomize which color you pull as an event reward. The last few have had purple Moonstone as the 325 point reward. My Moonstone has had 5 purple for awhile now. I guess it's good for 125 iso, which is 3 more fights I don't have to pay for a R/Y or P/B buff.

Any thoughts on optimal Moonstone? I'm sitting at 3/5/3 and wondering whether to train the purple cover I have or hold off for black. Neither power seems immediately superior.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ratatozsk posted:

Any thoughts on optimal Moonstone? I'm sitting at 3/5/3 and wondering whether to train the purple cover I have or hold off for black. Neither power seems immediately superior.

I went 5/5/3 I almost never use black, but purple on a blank board is a nice punch of damage, and occasionally it helps destroy a special tile

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am straining hard to think of a typical situation where you would use Moonstone outside of a Dark Avengers tournament.

I am straining hard to think of a Dark Avengers tournament in which neither Venom nor Bullseye would be a more productive use of your black APs.

So, yeah, 5/5/3.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I've been wondering how I'm ever going to keep building up my Ragnarock and it turns out the 60th daily login reward is a green Rag.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Ratatozsk posted:

Black is garbage. Purple 4 lyfe.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Can I sell my Modern Black Widow at this point? I have a 2-power Grey and 1-power Original or Classic or whatever.. Don't really see myself going back to Modern.

I really need to do some house cleaning. I have so many dudes that I'm holding onto just in case I get more.
I would personally hang on to at least 3 one-star characters (I prefer the team of IM35, M.Storm, M.Widow). When they have the Back to Basics tourney again, it will be easy money.

As for Moonstone, no question 5/5/3, but the optimal use of her is to not use her at all because she sucks :haw:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's your heaviest hitter if you dont have Ragnarok for your Dark Avengers tournaments. That red power scales up very very fast.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SynthOrange posted:

She's your heaviest hitter if you dont have Ragnarok for your Dark Avengers tournaments. That red power scales up very very fast.

That's what I used her for in the last one. There are so many DA characters that are black/purple, and multiple with green as the third option. She does actual damage with red matches (which is good when you're playing keepaway with red, especially against Rag) and has a power to use those tiles, even if it's not a great one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm in a bracket with a whale—they're in first by over 120 points and I'm in 2nd! :woop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But those prizes! Those fabulous prizes!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

But those prizes! Those fabulous prizes!

I'm about 200 points shy of the next Heroic token, the only worthwhile thing on this entire stupid bracket. I basically just need to wait until tomorrow before rushing in headlong again.

Brackets aren't so bad once you can glance at a team of level 50 heroes and think "yeah, that's doable, might cost me a single health pack"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I'm at the point where I can reliably murder Ragnarok, it's just annoying and I'll take a beating. Anyone else is going down unless I get a terrible board.

I'm just more interested in trying out different hero combos now. I'll need to level up my dudes a lot more though. Anyone under 3k hitpoints doesnt last long.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Moonstone does not suck. She's carrying me through this tournament. That is to say, she's my replacement for Thor when he takes too much damage and I don't feel like healing him up via Spidey or health packs. She is also tanky as hell.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm doing much better with my level 55 Daken as the 3rd team member. Having two regenerating strike tile factories, one who feeds off the other's green matches, is making a big difference. Once Daken is maxed, I'll start leveling Spidey again. He doesn't have enough health yet to hang in yet if there's no blue on the board.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Some fun combinations:

* Ragnarok - anyone. Okay, that's not fair. Ragnarok - Grey Widow. What to do with someone who eats reds and shits greens profusely? Team him with someone who turns greens into a hard-hit, a multi-hit if you've reached skill 5, and can turn purples into greens herself for either of them to use.

* Ragnarok - Wolverine Astonishing. Same principle. Lots of greens let you go back-and-forth between Feral Claws and Thunderclap to make both more effective.

* Ragnarok - Storm (either). Turn all those green APs into board churn that _does_ generate some APs.

* Magneto Classic - IM40. Not the first you'd think of when it comes to Recharge fodder, since nobody puts Recharge up to where it gives purple APs, but every level of blue on Maggie makes him a more efficient death machine. Which brings me to...

* Magneto Classic - Hawkeye Modern. A crit machine paired with a 4.5x crit multiplier. Yep!

* Magneto Classic - Bullseye. Same principle, slightly less compatible colors. But with Magneto's help, maybe Bullseye can finally hit for full damage on Murderous Aim.

* Captain America - IM40. A natural pair despite what Civil War would have you think. IM sets him up with Recharge, Cap locks them down with Peacemaker and Star-Spangled, then when the red APs come back IM Unibeams them to hell.

* Doom - Magneto Now. Purples turn Blue, Blues turn Black, enemies catch on fire.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got decent enough 3-star dudes to start levelling them up. The problem is that they've terrible synergy with each other. I think I could put Grey Widow in with my Thor/Wolverine 2* main dudes though. At max level she's got 5k hit points which is decently tanky, and she's got enough covers to be pretty useful already. Spidey is shaping up nicely, but still needs a few more blue covers to be at his best.

There's only a few 2*s that I actually want to level up some more. Captain America is actually pretty good with a cap of 4.5k hit points. Super tanky and super useful. Moonstone's a real wildcard with her red, and is surprisingly durable too, same hit points as Cap. If only her purple and black powers werent quite so unreliable and rare she might have regular usage.

Anyway my gut feeling in the end: Anyone under 4k hit points at max is dead meat in the high end game. Wolverine gets a pass due to his regen. Daken's is too slow and hindered by the possibility of 'heat' and he often ends up dead. 1* tanky oddballs: Venom and Juggernaut. Venom's surprisingly durable for a 1* guy, not too useful in later game, but for early-mid, pretty solid. Juggernaut maxes at a respectable 3.5k hp. Let someone else use that red AP and you should be good smashing poo poo with green.

Thinking of throwing my Storm Classic in the shredder and rebuilding as 5/5/3 but I'm never using her at this point.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Russad posted:

Max purple, leave yellow at 3.

Yeah, I FINALLY got a blue spidey cover from the Doom event yesterday, immediately dumped 2500 HP and all of my ISO stockpile into him, getting to 1/3/4 lvl 79, and the purple's been pretty great so far. Nothing like being hit for 1 per match off a big Modern Storm green cascade. Sidenote: the PC version's a godsend for characters like this, stunlocking takes aaaaaages on the mobile version...

Seriously considering burning a gift card for those last 2 blue covers. Of course, then you just know what'll be in my next heroic...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

delfin posted:

* Magneto Classic - IM40. Not the first you'd think of when it comes to Recharge fodder, since nobody puts Recharge up to where it gives purple APs, but every level of blue on Maggie makes him a more efficient death machine.
I fought an IM40 earlier that surprised the hell out of me when he kept refusing to Recharge - turned out he'd skilled it all the way to black so it cost a fortune, either to stop the computer giving it priority over Thunderstrike or because he didn't get any blue covers.

I also found out that Original Widow's black skill text is written very literally. If any other character has a higher purple skill then her passive doesn't activate because she has to be the one matching them.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

delfin posted:

Some fun combinations:

* Ragnarok - anyone. Okay, that's not fair. Ragnarok - Grey Widow. What to do with someone who eats reds and shits greens profusely? Team him with someone who turns greens into a hard-hit, a multi-hit if you've reached skill 5, and can turn purples into greens herself for either of them to use.

Throw in IM40 and that's how I roll. Very efficient team.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm still waiting on someone I can add to cstorm/magnow. If I could ever roll The Hood, or if I could get some more covers for Grey Widow, that'd be my ultimate fun time team, what with taking a few turns to set up then rolling several full team semi high damage blue attacks with stuns, or being able to actually take advantage of black. I'd go Doom for the synergy with Magnow, only I like taking advantage of cstorm's board cleaning green and I don't want to worry about losing them demons

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Got my 800 point reward gently caress off Storm Classic I need Hoods. Now I can ignore the tournament 'til the last day.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I fought an IM40 earlier that surprised the hell out of me when he kept refusing to Recharge - turned out he'd skilled it all the way to black so it cost a fortune, either to stop the computer giving it priority over Thunderstrike or because he didn't get any blue covers.

I also found out that Original Widow's black skill text is written very literally. If any other character has a higher purple skill then her passive doesn't activate because she has to be the one matching them.

That is what I did. My IM40 is at 5/4/4 so his recharge cost 12 yellow ap. Seriously I'm never going to use IM40 for stuns.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hope things pick up tomorrow. I'm in a slacker bracket, rank 7 at 513, which means I can't easily climb to the 800-point reward. And I'd prefer to put some covers into OBW instead of gray widow so I'm gonna have to fail my way down afterward. Nobody's attacking me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Don't use boosts unless you're making more ISO than you're using. For instance, clearing PVE events with the +3 All | +3 Red/Yellow boosts costs 300 ISO for 3 Matches. In PVE that's 600 ISO earned for 3 consecutive wins on matches you haven't played, in PVP it's anywhere from 210 to 420 :420:. This is why you want at least 1000-1500ISO—so you have a cushion in case you only get 210 a few times in a row.

Oh, so that's what you meant. So after using this advice I'm in 2nd place in my pvp bracket with a scrubbo 2/2/3 L37 Thor Now, 5/5/3 L23 mStorm, 5/5 L21 Black Widow Modern team.

Though I'm at a measly 552 points so maybe I'll be able to hit 800 if the rest of these clowns pick up the pace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Moonstone does not suck. She's carrying me through this tournament. That is to say, she's my replacement for Thor when he takes too much damage and I don't feel like healing him up via Spidey or health packs. She is also tanky as hell.

Aside from being my highest level character (go random covers :p), Moonstone is my replacement when IM35 is down. I'm only at 12-13 days played though, so once I have a thor who can get higher than 22, I'll probably not use her too much.