Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A school in Albuquerque told students that they could come in dressed up as Santa, an elf, or a reindeer. Obviously, the War on Christmas is in full swing. Inevitably, someone had a problem with this display of holiday Christmas cheer.

quote:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - A New Mexico high school teacher has been disciplined after a parent says the man told his black son that Santa Claus is white.

Officials at the school in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north of Albuquerque, said Saturday that the teacher recently was disciplined for his comments to the student, but they declined to say how.

The move came after students at Cleveland High School were told they could come to class dressed as Santa, an elf or a reindeer.

Michael Rougier told KOB-TV his ninth-grade son, Christopher, arrived wearing a Santa hat and beard, and the teacher asked the boy: "Don't you know Santa Clause is white? Why are you wearing that?"

Good call! The black children should obviously only be allowed to dress up as Santa's factory workers or as the animals pulling his sleigh. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

A school in Albuquerque told students that they could come in dressed up as Santa, an elf, or a reindeer. Obviously, the War on Christmas is in full swing. Inevitably, someone had a problem with this display of holiday Christmas cheer.

Good call! The black children should obviously only be allowed to dress up as Santa's factory workers or as the animals pulling his sleigh. :waycool:

Well, reindeer are brown. Hard to argue with that one.

And black people hate cold weather! Right guys? Right???? *teaches in a public school*

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Some Reindeer are white. Ask Megyn Kelly.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/12/15/drones-on-the-rangeacoloradotowngoeshunting.html

I'm on my phone so formatting is a bit tough. But this article is just hilarious. The guy in it is a total Sovereign citizen type, or is smart enough to scam them

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Joementum posted:

This makes me loving seethe

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Here's some hard-hitting journalism from well-known news source Kotaku. Seems a Florida Tea Party facebook page posted on their wall an image from the game Bioshock Infinite!

http://kotaku.com/tea-party-facebook-group-posts-bioshock-image-satirizin-1483821325

It says "It is our holy duty to guard against the foreign hordes" on it, and is a liiiitle crazy and racist. I mean, that was the point of the image in Bioshock Infinite, but that some Florida Tea Party group posts it on their Facebook wall unironically?

(One of the "foreign hordes" in the image is a Native American, hah)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder when they'll post this one.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

HJE-Cobra posted:

Here's some hard-hitting journalism from well-known news source Kotaku. Seems a Florida Tea Party facebook page posted on their wall an image from the game Bioshock Infinite!

http://kotaku.com/tea-party-facebook-group-posts-bioshock-image-satirizin-1483821325

It says "It is our holy duty to guard against the foreign hordes" on it, and is a liiiitle crazy and racist. I mean, that was the point of the image in Bioshock Infinite, but that some Florida Tea Party group posts it on their Facebook wall unironically?

The irony is even larger since the Tea Party threw a hissy fit over the concept of the Founders to the point The Blaze and Briebart made articles about calling the game un-American.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HJE-Cobra posted:

This is really funny until you realize all of these people are more likely to vote than most of the people you know.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The annual Salon takedown of Freidman is worth a read.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

I don't know if that was written too well or too poorly, it was just awful to read.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's almost no fun taking down Friedman any more because he just keeps staying there. He's the loving Count of St. Germain.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

joeburz posted:

I don't know if that was written too well or too poorly, it was just awful to read.

:thejoke:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Was the joke supposed to be so good that you don't even finish reading it?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush starts off today going off on the Pope. Specifically he was responding to mainstream news sources trolling him by pointing out that he got the ball rolling on right-wingers openly calling the Pope a Marxist.

quote:

Some of the passages in the “Evangelii Gaudium” attracted the criticism of ultraconservatives in the USA. As a Pope, what does it feel like to be called a “Marxist”?

Pope Francis posted:

“The Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended.”

The most striking part of the Exhortation was where it refers to an economy that “kills”…

Pope Francis posted:

“There is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church. I wasn’t speaking from a technical point of view, what I was trying to do was to give a picture of what is going on. The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefitting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist.”
http://lastampa.it/2013/12/14/esteri/vatican-insider/en/never-be-afraid-of-tenderness-5BqUfVs9r7W1CJIMuHqNeI/pagina.html

Now, the Pope is anti-abortion yet was made TIME Man of the Year. Limbaugh is unable to reconcile these two things in his brain since he believes them to be mutually exclusive. In order to be TIME Man of the Year you must be a leftist (after all Hitler was Man of the Year at one point :smuggo:)!

He ended the segment :byodood:ing on how 60 and 40 Watt incandescent light bulbs are being made illegal in the US of A.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Somebody posted about how the White House is changing the name of the Christmas Tree to a "holiday tree" and some big response from Ben Stein so I posted the Youtube video of Obama at the 2013 tree lighting ceremony calling it a christmas tree, saying merry christmas to everyone and Michelle reading twas the night before christmas, and the snopes link about the Ben Stein story. The only response I got was "I'm not checking those links, I don't care, I just liked the story!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Neal Boortz has the quintessential Smart Take on this whole business about Santa being white, "I’m gonna scream and complain because Martin Luther King is always portrayed as black!"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Joementum posted:

Neal Boortz has the quintessential Smart Take on this whole business about Santa being white, "I’m gonna scream and complain because Martin Luther King is always portrayed as black!"

Can we ignore the obvious racism here and just focus on the fact that people are literally arguing over the skin color of a fictional character?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahaha Francis is master of trolls. "Marxism is wrong. But I've known a ton of Marxists who are good people!"

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

joeburz posted:

If you're trying to parody Thomas Friedman's writing and the result is completely unreadable dreck, you're probably doing something right.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

The annual Salon takedown of Freidman is worth a read.

I've kind of given up on Salon, mostly because their sensationalism aggravates that nattering little Minnesotan in my head who thinks that everyone should Just Stick To The Facts, k thx. But every year they put that hack Tom Friedman on their Hack List, and every year I enjoy reading the head kicking they give him.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Radish posted:

They already have. Rutherford B. Hayes is their party's founder, not Lincoln.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="kik2dagroin"

He ended the segment :byodood:ing on how 60 and 40 Watt incandescent light bulbs are being made illegal in the US of A.
[/quote]

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush starts off today going off on the Pope. Specifically he was responding to mainstream news sources trolling him by pointing out that he got the ball rolling on right-wingers openly calling the Pope a Marxist.

The most striking part of the Exhortation was where it refers to an economy that “kills”…
http://lastampa.it/2013/12/14/esteri/vatican-insider/en/never-be-afraid-of-tenderness-5BqUfVs9r7W1CJIMuHqNeI/pagina.html

Now, the Pope is anti-abortion yet was made TIME Man of the Year. Limbaugh is unable to reconcile these two things in his brain since he believes them to be mutually exclusive. In order to be TIME Man of the Year you must be a leftist (after all Hitler was Man of the Year at one point :smuggo:)!

[/quote]
The 'lightbulbs are illegal' talking point is still a thing?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'lightbulbs are illegal' talking point is still a thing?

Vince Foster and Whitewater still come up now and then so yeah.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Ahaha Francis is master of trolls. "Marxism is wrong. But I've known a ton of Marxists who are good people!"

I thought he said "I'm not a Marxist, but that doesn't mean Marxists are bad people"?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Joementum posted:

I thought this idiot retired. I feel lied to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McDowell posted:

Vince Foster and Whitewater still come up now and then so yeah.
I'm so looking forward to hearing about those two again in a year or two

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radish posted:

Fun fact, the Southern Avenger is an avid JWB fan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I thought this idiot retired. I feel lied to.

He was filling in for Herman Cain.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is from the GOP thread, but it's a chance to mention Michael Berry because Dan Patrick is just another boring milquetoast old man conservative:

zoux posted:

Dan Patrick's first bill as a senator was to emblazon "In God We Trust" above the rostrum in the Senate Chamber.

Are you aware that's not his real name and also his job is as a right wing local radio talkshow host in Houston?
Yeah, okay, so that's about Dan Patrick, but Michael Berry is funnier. I'm sure some here are familiar, but if not I'll just drop this link for general bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berry_(radio_host)

Wait, what's that thing at the bottom?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...er-bashed-gays/

http://www.texasobserver.org/homophobic-radio-host-busted-at-gay-bar/

O RLY

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 16, 2013

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

This is from the GOP thread, but it's a chance to mention Michael Berry because Dan Patrick is just another boring milquetoast old man conservative:
Yeah, okay, so that's about Dan Patrick, but Michael Berry is funnier. I'm sure some here are familiar, but if not I'll just drop this link for general bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berry_(radio_host)

Wait, what's that thing at the bottom?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...er-bashed-gays/

http://www.texasobserver.org/homophobic-radio-host-busted-at-gay-bar/

O RLY

I now know that there is a website called gayhomophobe.com

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Someone should go back to 1993 - 1994 or so and see what Rush was saying about the GOP alternative (basically Obamacare/Romneycare) to HillaryCare back then.

Googling a bit gave me a few interesting things to read but nothing about pundits:

quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/health/policy/health-care-mandate-was-first-backed-by-conservatives.html?_r=0

To combat President Clinton’s proposal, a large group of Republican senators, including the minority leader at the time, Bob Dole, and several who are still in office, proposed a bill that would have required individuals, and not employers, to buy insurance.

These were interesting reads too:

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/graphics/2010/022310-bill-comparison.aspx

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2010/february/23/gop-1993-health-reform-bill.aspx

If anyone can dig up or find what Rush said back then I bet it would be equally enlightening.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

joeburz posted:

The joke is that a man who thinks like a child and writes like a trainwreck somehow has many with power and influence hop aboard his thought-train and follow him into the new frontier of space.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There are a lot of interesting arguments being made about Thomas Friedman and his columns. I can't make a decision yet on how I feel about his writing, though. I think his next six months of columns will be vital toward making this decision.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Santa is like Galactus. He is a being of unknowable power with a true form beyond our comprehension and instead is perceived by each mortal in a form which they are more accustomed.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

There are a lot of interesting arguments being made about Thomas Friedman and his columns. I can't make a decision yet on how I feel about his writing, though. I think his next six months of columns will be vital toward making this decision.

You have a point; some people enjoy the work of Thomas Friedman, while others do not. It puts me in mind of an ancient bit of wisdom I learned from a former yurt-dweller I paid to carry my bags during my last trip to China: "Hakuna Matata", or "Everybody can do something, but nobody can do nothing".

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

I've never heard of Thomas Friedman, so I looked him up and according to his Wikipedia he is a supporter of "radical centrism". Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Eponymouse posted:

I've never heard of Thomas Friedman, so I looked him up and according to his Wikipedia he is a supporter of "radical centrism". Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

:lol:

So to my understanding, radical centrists are the kind of milquetoast libertarians who nod thoughtfully at TED talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've kind of given up on Salon, mostly because their sensationalism aggravates that nattering little Minnesotan in my head who thinks that everyone should Just Stick To The Facts, k thx. But every year they put that hack Tom Friedman on their Hack List, and every year I enjoy reading the head kicking they give him.

Most of Salon is pretty terrible but Alex Pareene is usually worth reading.

Eponymouse posted:

:lol:

So to my understanding, radical centrists are the kind of milquetoast libertarians who nod thoughtfully at TED talks.

That's actually an excellent way of putting it. You see, these people are totally non-ideological, because their assumptions are somehow based in the ether. These are people who read Francis Fukuyama in 1992 and thought Western liberal democracy had finally won, then proceeded to shut down their synapses.

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 17, 2013