Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Been using it for a bit now. So far the only thing slightly bugging me, should the username and avatar be a different gradient from the post text? I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This is beautiful. So crisp.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Is it possible to get an option where posts will have an alternating slightly different background color?

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Looks pretty good. One issue is that clicking a user's name while in landscape forces a quit. I'm on an iPod touch 5, iOS 7.0.4.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Quick question, why'd I just lose my ability to swipe in/out the navigation bar now?
I used that all the time instead of tapping a hide/unhide button.

iPad Air on latest iOS here.

EDIT: I preferred the distance needed to pull down in the old app to refresh the nav bar. You need to pull further now, so it's harder to refresh with a flick.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 17, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Also crashes when hitting the ... button in landscape.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

:neckbeard: so shiny!

The swipe to show the menu on the left hand side uses my wallpaper as a background, which kind of clashes with the white text at places where it's white/a bright colour. Would it be useful to overlay a semi-transparent black to make it clash less?

A half-arsed mockup of my suggestion (I couldn't be arsed making the icons bright white, but you get the idea):

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It actually was originally supposed to be the darkened blurred version of your wallpaper but one of the ios7 betas broke the method being used.

Funny though I thought when it broke it just was pure black.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

a glorious hole posted:

Is it possible to get an option where posts will have an alternating slightly different background color?

I'm not crazy about alternating colors, however the current theming isn't perfect and my proposed changes are:

- bringing back darker read
Backgrounds

- posts being separated by a thicker ( like 8-10px ), lighter colored border.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Been using it for a bit now. So far the only thing slightly bugging me, should the username and avatar be a different gradient from the post text? I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's a bit odd.

Gradient? Can you clarify a little?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

The Dave posted:

It actually was originally supposed to be the darkened blurred version of your wallpaper but one of the ios7 betas broke the method being used.

Funny though I thought when it broke it just was pure black.

Mine is pure black. I'm on iPhone 5c with iOS 7.0.4

I'll get used to the new version eventually, but I really miss having the forums/bookmarks/etc. buttons constantly available at the bottom of the screen.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

violetdragon posted:

Mine is pure black.

I'll get used to the new version eventually, but I really miss having the forums/bookmarks/etc. buttons constantly available at the bottom of the screen.

actually, mine turns black when I enter the app switcher

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

violetdragon posted:

Mine is pure black.

Yeah, they also make the nav bar take up more room. Having the nav bar open in portrait mode on the iPad makes posts look really squished. I can't see reading the forum like that as a valid option.

Edit: Not liking how you have to back out of the forum you're in if you want to access bookmarks on iPhone/iPod Touch. That's two taps instead of one on the old app.

Edit: light theme needs a gray "already read" background like how dark theme gets a blue background for read posts.

Edit: not to be unappreciative (because I loved Awful 1.whatever), but is there anything that's an improvement with this new app or is it just things taken away in service of Apple's new flat design?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 17, 2013

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The Dave posted:

Gradient? Can you clarify a little?

Maybe not a gradient but it just seems odd there's not a divider between usernames and their posts.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Maybe not a gradient but it just seems odd there's not a divider between usernames and their posts.

It's a bit confusing to me when the user hasn't got an avatar, I have to agree. You could put in some kind of placeholder, perhaps?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Whoa.

Nice.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Usernames aren't pressable if you're scrolled passed the post divider line

Profiles are also white (blindingly so) in the dark theme

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't think a placeholder silhouette is a bad compromise if no av is throwing people off.

However I would say let the new template sink in a little you might I know it could be a little disorienting at first.

Not Feasible
Apr 1, 2011
Can't be done.
Edit: nevermind, seems to have fixed itself after I posted this

Possible bug report: YOSPOS threads don't display as YOSPOS forum theme when accessed via bookmarks.

(I only read the cat thread in there but it's still jarring when you're expecting it to look different)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Posting from Awful 2 :)

The only thing I dislike is that there's no green box around posts where people have quoted you, but other than that, everything looks and feels prettier and snappier than it did before.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Posting from Awful 2 :)

The only thing I dislike is that there's no green box around posts where people have quoted you, but other than that, everything looks and feels prettier and snappier than it did before.

Oh yeah, I'll miss that. I liked the little feeling of self-satisfaction that gave you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When someone quotes you it should show up as purple text no? Or were there different parameters to get green?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Dave posted:

When someone quotes you it should show up as purple text no? Or were there different parameters to get green?
It does, I just thought the green box made it easier to differentiate than just the text being purple. Made the reading experience flow smoother, I thought. But it's a minor nitpick. Everything else rules.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, they also make the nav bar take up more room. Having the nav bar open in portrait mode on the iPad makes posts look really squished. I can't see reading the forum like that as a valid option.

I'm not totally understanding this partially because I don't really touch the iPad version. You know there is the expand button now on iPad if you feel all 3 columns in portrait are too cramped? I'm not sure how easy it is to toggle. Ideally we'll get to a point where it can be used with gestured vs. having to tap the button.

JazzFlight posted:

Edit: Not liking how you have to back out of the forum you're in if you want to access bookmarks on iPhone/iPod Touch. That's two taps instead of one on the old app.

True that it's more steps now, hopefully it feels like less work though by using the swipe from left gesture.

JazzFlight posted:

Edit: light theme needs a gray "already read" background like how dark theme gets a blue background for read posts.

Yeah. To be honest we've known that it's way too light and should have taken care of it. Going to go back to a more bluish hue from before.

JazzFlight posted:

Edit: not to be unappreciative (because I loved Awful 1.whatever), but is there anything that's an improvement with this new app or is it just things taken away in service of Apple's new flat design?

A good bulk of the work in this app is under the hood. Pokeyman has been slaving away like crazy trying to build a better, more efficient way to get the data from the forums and render the posts. It doesn't seem like a picnic either. So don't think of it as things were taking away, it's more like they haven't been rebuilt yet. The design isn't also finalized and hopefully we get some good user feedback as well to make any necessary changes.

I think pokeyman might also be re-releasing Awful 1.x as Awful Classic, for the people that hate change, unicorns, and rainbows. (...right?)

Diabolik900 has also been putting in a ton of work redoing templates and implementing the new design.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is it just me or is the option to switch/disable stylesheets on yospos et al gone

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

The Dave posted:

I'm not crazy about alternating colors, however the current theming isn't perfect and my proposed changes are:

- bringing back darker read
Backgrounds

- posts being separated by a thicker ( like 8-10px ), lighter colored border.

This would probably help. I've just gotta get used to the [...] post options being down at the bottom, really. It makes more sense there though honestly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hereby request that the unread post count on the bookmarks page be more visible. Maybe bold or slightly bigger font or slightly darker color?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

withak posted:

I hereby request that the unread post count on the bookmarks page be more visible. Maybe bold or slightly bigger font or slightly darker color?
Yeah, I don't really mind it how it is but more visibility would be a good thing.

Perhaps a spacer between the thread title and unread post count, plus the number being more bold?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we were looking for a way to keep unread counts dark blue even if you had thread coloring enabled. I believe we all decided to try this out:

radge
Jan 21, 2005

The Dave posted:

Yeah we were looking for a way to keep unread counts dark blue even if you had thread coloring enabled. I believe we all decided to try this out:

It needs a way to differentiate read and unread threads like this.

Also incoming Awful 2 ~pro tip~:

If you stumble across a thread while in safari, you can easily open it in the app If you add a bookmark to Safari with the following.
code:

javascript:location.href='awful'+location.href

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

radge posted:

It needs a way to differentiate read and unread threads like this.

I don't think you need the coloring of the bookmark to have an unread color state when you have the 0 staring you in the face. Less colors = More comprehension especially in real world use when you may not have perfect visibility of the screen.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

The Dave posted:

I don't think you need the coloring of the bookmark to have an unread color state when you have the 0 staring you in the face. Less colors = More comprehension especially in real world use when you may not have perfect visibility of the screen.

Fair point. Maybe make the unread counts grey but leave the colours as is.

Alternatively, unread threads could be sorted first to save having to scroll through your bookmarks to find threads you still have to catch up on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How come when you scroll all the way down on your bookmarks list, then pull up and release, it no longer loads your second page of bookmarks anymore? Not something I'm doing all the time, just something I noticed in playing around with the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Because I guess nobody who was testing ever goes to the second page of their bookmarks. Whoops!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

radge posted:

Alternatively, unread threads could be sorted first to save having to scroll through your bookmarks to find threads you still have to catch up on.

I think everyone wants that but it's deceivingly hard to do and hasn't been implemented yet. (Might be wrong on my memory there.)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Is there a way to read Gas Chambered threads in the app without already having it in your bookmarks? I couldn't find the Star Citizen thread by scrolling through the subforum, but I have the URL (http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is it being super nitpicking to say I miss the forum/PM/bookmarks nav bar being horizontal at the bottom left on iPad? The empty vertical white bar underneath the 4 icons feels like a lot of wasted space.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

The Dave posted:

Before, a mention of your name was purple, while a quote box of your posts would be green.

I am an absolute sucker for the new design, so this is awesome. My only gripe is that I can't swipe the sidebar open/closed like before on iPad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Is it being super nitpicking to say I miss the forum/PM/bookmarks nav bar being horizontal at the bottom left on iPad? The empty vertical white bar underneath the 4 icons feels like a lot of wasted space.

It might be now, but it was designed behind the idea of having all the functionality of the forums built into the app. So it was designed to have like 12 items on it. Is that a great answer? Probably not. But just telling you that's why that layout was chosen.

Mo0 posted:

Before, a mention of your name was purple, while a quote box of your posts would be green.

Hrm. I swear mine was always purple, must have been getting confused with SALR. Makes sense to change it to green text then I guess, which might be rough for YOSPOS theme. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I'm dumb as hell, how do I change the text size? It's way too big for me :(

• Locked thread