Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Wait, so any modded races you add just get stuffed into that little side window and don't mess with the pre-existing UI? Huh, I may need to grab some of the cooler ones now.

I think the extended race window is also a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

There is some kind of weird, subtle subtext, and I get this nebulous impression that the Hylotl are actually worse than they appear. Floran dialog includes lines like "you know what you did" and "Floran know the truth". There's something sinister at work here. A friend of mine suggested that the Hylotl actually engineered the planet-eating Tentacle Beasts as a bio-weapon, like the one that destroyed Earth, thus making them a scourge to the entire galaxy. But I don't know if there's actually anything in the texts to support this.

In terms of chronological aesthetics, I'd say it goes Floran (tribal) -> Avian (early Meso-American) -> Glitch (European medieval) -> Human (modern day, presumably) -> Hylotl (cyberpunk/neo-Tokyo stuff) -> Apex (sci-fi future, sterile labs).
Not really, Apex villages are retro, 70's like, Human military bases are definitely generic sci-fi and the technopyramids are Avian, if the guardians there speaking of Kluex aren't a bug..

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Ugh, I was just about ready to start on my own mod (a lantern backpack for each metal tier) when it appears that backpacks have 30 spites each. Ouch.

Maybe I'll just do the Violium one, since that was just going to be a hugeass purple crystal anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Advanced Suit is now done. By 'done' I mean 'gently caress it I've had a beer or two and it's fine as it is dammit'. Also I noticed your character sinks into the ground a bit when they're standing on wood so that's weird.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

InfinityComplex posted:

Yes, that would be perfect if you drop off a link.

Here's the .abc file. It's just a conversion of the midi from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchZ9q0FscY

Testing a bunch of other songs out, too, but most kinda come out bad.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You're doing Isaac'sGod's work son. It looks great! Now if they come up with armor that can animate on the fly, you need to adjust every RIG suit helmet accordingly. :colbert:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Anybody yet figured out bands and who needs what .abc file? I love to download songs, but I have a habit of re-naming them to the actual song instead of just a line of letters with the band and a few letters from the song title. Do other people need the exact same files for you to play the same songs? Is there going to be a way for only one person to have the song file and for them to sync in automatically? Do the songs have to be the exact same filename? :confused: I love all those vids posted of people playing music, but I don't know how to do it.

quote:

There is some kind of weird, subtle subtext, and I get this nebulous impression that the Hylotl are actually worse than they appear. Floran dialog includes lines like "you know what you did" and "Floran know the truth". There's something sinister at work here. A friend of mine suggested that the Hylotl actually engineered the planet-eating Tentacle Beasts as a bio-weapon, like the one that destroyed Earth, thus making them a scourge to the entire galaxy. But I don't know if there's actually anything in the texts to support this.

One reason I think everyone dislikes the Hylotl, and for some reason my friends tell me I'm reading too much into it, is that they are pretty much the personification of 'The white man's burden'. They talk about all other races as 'primitives', and the ones that leave are called 'missionaries', Meant to civilize and bring 'peace' to the savage races they find.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Last night's exploring: Found a creepy floran prison full of caged florans and flaming coal pits and hostile guards.

Then I found a desert planet which was nearly solid tar under the sand layer. Pity you cant actually do much with tar.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Wait, so any modded races you add just get stuffed into that little side window and don't mess with the pre-existing UI? Huh, I may need to grab some of the cooler ones now.

Yeah, as mentioned, it's a mod. And you still have to go into some files and edit them if you want more than one race to show up at a time.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

E-Tank posted:

One reason I think everyone dislikes the Hylotl, and for some reason my friends tell me I'm reading too much into it, is that they are pretty much the personification of 'The white man's burden'. They talk about all other races as 'primitives', and the ones that leave are called 'missionaries', Meant to civilize and bring 'peace' to the savage races they find.

And they're totally dicks about it, too. See the screenshots from a few pages back where Hyotl randomly criticizes Avian pottery, and then explains that their jars are so awful that they MUST be smashed.

Outside of any history of galactic-scale war crimes, the fish dudes are just kinda insufferable, which explains why nobody likes them.

As for the Glitch and Floran getting along well, it's pretty understandable. Florans look at almost everything that moves as food or prey, but there's clearly no instinctive drive to murder something that doesn't have flesh and blood, so it's easy to make friends.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dominic White posted:

And they're totally dicks about it, too. See the screenshots from a few pages back where Hyotl randomly criticizes Avian pottery, and then explains that their jars are so awful that they MUST be smashed.
I interpreted that as "All these little containers spit money at me when I hit them with something. I wasn't this violent before I left the seas :ohdear:"

... Of course, they spit completely insignifigant amounts of money at you so I don't bother smashing them anymore.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

InfinityComplex posted:

gently caress farming.

I dunno what the Floran speed buff is, but their racial food is super easy to make (it's just twice cooked meat and their starting plant, one of each), so all you really need to do is set up a tiny farm on your ship with the three seeds and you're golden.

Anyways Floran are the best. I lost it in their descriptions of an Apex tech lab, demanding a sign not try to tell them what to do, and pondering how many Floran Big Ape would feed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Floran speed buff is the stuff that needs Chilies.

So, you know. They're unlikely to make many of them given how incredibly slowly chilies grow.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

This makes sense when you note that Florans probably can't eat Glitches. From what I recall one of the defining things about non-PC Florans is that they don't really recognize the other civilizations as being civilizations - they're just funny food bags that have fun things for them to steal and use. Glitches aren't food, so they could count as an actual civilization (and their medieval thing probably puts them closer to the Floran tribal thing)

There's a codex entry written by Greenfinger that talks about the similarities between Floran and Glitch culture. Normal, hiveminded Glitch are "singularly driven" and very focused on teamwork. Florans are as well, but out of choice rather than because they're a hivemind. Glitch aren't edible to Florans but many of their foods are. And many books found in Floran villages suggest that the Glitch outcasts have been attempting to (with some success) raise the level of education among Florans. A Floran PC examining an Avian bookcase mentions reading as a waste of time. But examining Glitch bookcases elicits interest in the books and a desire to learn how to read.

So yes. Floran and Glitch are the universe's best match.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that every race's big name players are involved in a conspiracy. Greenfinger is a known associate of Big Ape. The Techno-pyramids combine Avian and Apex architecture. The USMC has been up to some shady poo poo and Big Ape is involved in their prison system, somehow. There's too much hinting at something big going on. And combined with the meta-reasoning that every race's story will probably be the same at the end I'm convinced there's a cabal of shadow rulers going on.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The Floran stuff like the Drysap, the Oaken Warriors, the Hyolotl War and Greenfinger is some of the most interesting stuff they hint at in the codex. I hope when they add the questing that there's some good stuff about that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I bet there's no big conspiracy, it's all just Big Ape being a dick.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like all the races but the Avians have a distinct, defined culture. The Humans are the usual meddling shitheads, the Apex have a dystopian society, the Floran are a tribal race that wants to eat everything, and the Hylotl are hippies, but I have no idea what Avian culture is like. The most I've seen of Avian civilization are some scattered hamlets on some forest planets.

e: Also I didn't realize that gold was a tier 3 material and turned it all into pixels. :suicide:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dominic White posted:

Outside of any history of galactic-scale war crimes, the fish dudes are just kinda insufferable, which explains why nobody likes them.

As for the Glitch and Floran getting along well, it's pretty understandable. Florans look at almost everything that moves as food or prey, but there's clearly no instinctive drive to murder something that doesn't have flesh and blood, so it's easy to make friends.

I think that people hating the Hyotl has much more to do with them being a race of people who don't understand what constitutes 'socially acceptable behavior'. They break poo poo, they can't keep secrets, they can't walk into a place without blowing it up. They're also a bunch of sword collecting space weeaboos. What I'm saying is, the Hyotl are a race of fish Goons, and Hiraki Corale is like, the Queen Goon of Being Terrible.

I imagine their hygiene has to be awful.

Edit: If it's not lore that the Hyotl's culture is entirely based off of radiowaves of Blade Runner and dubbed anime, it really should be.

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like all the races but the Avians have a distinct, defined culture. The Humans are the usual meddling shitheads, the Apex have a dystopian society, the Floran are a tribal race that wants to eat everything, and the Hylotl are hippies, but I have no idea what Avian culture is like. The most I've seen of Avian civilization are some scattered hamlets on some forest planets.

e: Also I didn't realize that gold was a tier 3 material and turned it all into pixels. :suicide:

Go to a moon, dig down until you're not cold anymore. Gold is everywhere.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

TheBlandName posted:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that every race's big name players are involved in a conspiracy. Greenfinger is a known associate of Big Ape. The Techno-pyramids combine Avian and Apex architecture. The USMC has been up to some shady poo poo and Big Ape is involved in their prison system, somehow. There's too much hinting at something big going on. And combined with the meta-reasoning that every race's story will probably be the same at the end I'm convinced there's a cabal of shadow rulers going on.

Adding on, Kluex is a possibly dead, possibly mortal deity figure who hasn't been seen in centuries, giving his/her/its power to a cabal of ruthless, bloodthirsty priest-warriors. I bet Novakids will be the most straight-forward of all the races once they're put in.

"My sun exploded and I'm out of alcohol! Take me to your distillery!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Could MShadowy or anyone else who has experimented with making their own ship(s) take a look at this and tell me if they see what isn't working? I tried swapping my stuff out for one of the race's files, but it isn't working. When I try to select a brand new character of that species it just hangs for a bit then dumps me back to the main menu with an error message about server connections (in single player?).

dropship.structure

I even tried just renaming the images to the standard shipship.png and dropshipblocks.png and using the standard .structure file and that didn't work.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mirthless posted:

I think that people hating the Hyotl has much more to do with them being a race of people who don't understand what constitutes 'socially acceptable behavior'. They break poo poo, they can't keep secrets, they can't walk into a place without blowing it up. They're also a bunch of sword collecting space weeaboos. What I'm saying is, the Hyotl are a race of fish Goons, and Hiraki Corale is like, the Queen Goon of Being Terrible.
Hylotl are clearly a race born of Space Autism. But not actual Space Autism, just the sort of self-diagnosed Space Autism that's really more like Space Rudeness and a lack of Space Social Awareness. They're going to post on their OKCupid profile, the one with the fedora and the real durasteel katana, about how they're a Nice Race that keeps getting warzone'd by dumb bitch species that only want to make planetary alliances with jerks, and I don't even know where I was going with this increasingly strained metaphor.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Vib Rib posted:

Hylotl are clearly a race born of Space Autism. But not actual Space Autism, just the sort of self-diagnosed Space Autism that's really more like Space Rudeness and a lack of Space Social Awareness. They're going to post on OKCupid profile, the one with the fedora and the real durasteel katana, about how they're a Nice Race that keeps getting warzone'd by dumb bitch species that only want to make planetary alliances with jerks, and I don't even know where I was going with this increasingly strained metaphor.

I don't either, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vib Rib posted:

and I don't even know where I was going with this increasingly strained metaphor.

It was a metaphor rodeo and you rode that sucker like a true rodeo metaphor guy.

In all honesty, I think people will warm to the fishgoons once ocean planets are a thing and we need them to craft aqualungs. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, I think I'll just warm them up. With a flamethrower. Same with the monkeys, they're kill on sight since I've never seen anything but food shops out of them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ViggyNash posted:

All the Avians you see are Grounded who are actively getting away from actual "Avian Culture". If you talk to them as a fellow Avian they say things like "You're welcome here as long as you don't try to spread the word of Kluex" and stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, all the actual avian culture I've seen has tried to kill me no matter what race I am. Both the tree houses and the tombs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't think Avians build treehouses?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think Avians build treehouses?

Every now and then you'll find an avian town inside a really tall hollow tree with the top open to the sky. And I've yet to find one that didn't try to kill me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Yeah, the tree houses are Floran.

The Avians do build giant towers to toss each other off of, though! :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Avians are all intentionally maimed at birth so they cant fly due to religious decrees. :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

The Avians are all intentionally maimed at birth so they cant fly due to religious decrees. :smith:
You sure? I read some codex that said Kluex was declared a god because he could fly.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

You sure? I read some codex that said Kluex was declared a god because he could fly.

He was declared a god because he was Iron Man, basically, then decreed that those who didn't worship him totally would be clipped at birth so as to never even have the possibility to experience flight.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ViggyNash posted:

I dunno, from what I've gathered, Avians are hardcore theocrats who's rituals and such don't actually work, but gently caress if they're giving that information out. Also their god, while probably existing, wasn't an actual god, and is mostly used to bludgeon the faithful into submission.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno, from what I've gathered, Avians are hardcore theocrats who's rituals and such don't actually work, but gently caress if they're giving that information out. Also their god, while probably existing, wasn't an actual god, and is mostly used to bludgeon the faithful into submission.

Wow, this game is so life like. :smug: Sorry, sorry. It was going to be said sooner or later.

Really I think the general feeling is that the avians are sick of this poo poo, but it's been that way for so long, and the leaders are too powerful. Coming out as an atheist is tantamount to walking up to the king and telling him that you don't respect his right to rule.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

E-Tank posted:

Wow, this game is so life like. :smug: Sorry, sorry. It was going to be said sooner or later.

Really I think the general feeling is that the avians are sick of this poo poo, but it's been that way for so long, and the leaders are too powerful. Coming out as an atheist is tantamount to walking up to the king and telling him that you don't respect his right to rule.

Which, conveniently, is essentially what Glitch players did.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
I'm casually streaming a bit of Starbound. I'm not the most pro Starbound player in any way, but come along on a journey through the stars if you're so inclined. I might even put a server up if my net can handle it.
http://www.twitch.tv/sibleyirresistible

Done for dinner! Thanks for coming by and laughing with me everyone. Be back in 2 hours.

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mirthless posted:

I imagine their hygiene has to be awful.

Hylotl are taking perpetual baths, their hygeine is probably pretty good. Meanwhile Apex live entirely off of processed "superfood" like it's loving Soylent and genetically engineered themselves into all having neckbeards, even the women.

I think the most outstanding thing about Hylotl is that the disconnect between the player Hylotl and the general culture seems largest. The player Hylotl is this pacifistic missionary-monk who wants to spread the word of peace and love and of course Hylotl don't hurt anybody and it's super obvious from their armor descriptions that they have an intricate military caste system.

I do like that for Hylotl they have a super-secret directive that only some people are supposed to be involved in. But all you need to do to know it is to ask about it.

Oneiros posted:

Yeah, the tree houses are Floran.

The Avians do build giant towers to toss each other off of, though! :v:

Those towers are INCREDIBLY phallic, even by the standards of towers. The entrance atria are obvious balls and everybody jumps off the bulbous head. It's insane.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aww, gawd, I just kept digging and then I found myself in some strata where everything was made out of meat and bones.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

E-Tank posted:

Also the Avian villages are full of apostates, which gives them a different feel to the bird temples etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dug into a giant underground organism, you monster.

I dug around once until I hit a layer of solid mushroom. I was tunneling inside a giant fungus. Mushroom blocks everywhere.

• Locked thread