Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

FRINGE posted:

No one likes relearning UI. Its a complete waste of time when its still just a browser. Im one of the last holdouts at work using FF.

Dude, come on. Relearning a browser UI takes minutes. You're being a little dramatic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Fangs404 posted:

Dude, come on. Relearning a browser UI takes minutes. You're being a little dramatic here.
Not at all. When you use something day in and day out the clicking is partially worked into muscle memory. Moving things around has a real effect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Like the new Find function. I hit Ctrl-F and the search bit is on the far left but all the other buttons are right over on the far side of the screen. In the middle is an empty, unused wasteland.

Why :psyduck:

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

FRINGE posted:

Not at all. When you use something day in and day out the clicking is partially worked into muscle memory. Moving things around has a real effect.

Get in line of complaining though.

People complained in the 3.6 days that it looked outdated. They complained in the 4 days that it was too different. They said they wanted something similar to Chrome and now they are complaining that it's Chrome. Someone is not going to like change, and someone is not going to like that it isn't changing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ryokurin posted:

Get in line of complaining though.

People complained in the 3.6 days that it looked outdated. They complained in the 4 days that it was too different. They said they wanted something similar to Chrome and now they are complaining that it's Chrome. Someone is not going to like change, and someone is not going to like that it isn't changing.
The problem with one part of that though is - the people that wanted something "like Chrome" are using Chrome. Listening to them accomplishes nothing.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like the new Find function. I hit Ctrl-F and the search bit is on the far left but all the other buttons are right over on the far side of the screen. In the middle is an empty, unused wasteland.

Why :psyduck:

Hit alt-a or alt-c to select them when the search box has focus

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But why not just keep them all on the left side of the screen? There's literally no point to moving them all the way over beyond making the program just a little bit more annoying to use.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FRINGE posted:

The problem with one part of that though is - the people that wanted something "like Chrome" are using Chrome. Listening to them accomplishes nothing.

Yeah, when every other browser either is or seems intent on emulating Chrome it's nice to nave something different. I honestly have no issues with the look of the new UI though and I'll reserve judgement until it hits the beta channel I use.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Twiddling about with the UI seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Yep, I know that's taking it too far, but it feels similar, even if the circumstances for Firefox aren't nearly that dire. I also know that UI programmers aren't rendering engine programmers, but I feel like there should be a lot more focus on improving the UX through increased performance, not by moving buttons around.

I feel bad that every time I post here I have something negative to say, but Firefox remains my browser of choice, I'm not just making GBS threads on it from afar. I want it to get better. I'm still getting the random squares all over the window glitch that happens on every single computer I have with an AMD graphics card. It's been going on for I feel like a whole year now, and has persisted though updating both my graphics drivers and Firefox multiple times. Stuff like that just makes me sigh in disappointment.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

xamphear posted:

Twiddling about with the UI seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Yep, I know that's taking it too far, but it feels similar, even if the circumstances for Firefox aren't nearly that dire. I also know that UI programmers aren't rendering engine programmers, but I feel like there should be a lot more focus on improving the UX through increased performance, not by moving buttons around.
It feels like the part you're missing is that they didn't just decide to build a new UI to tweak buttons, they needed to build a new UI that was faster and wouldn't gate performance improvements elsewhere in the browser. Since they were already building a new UI, it makes sense to tweak and improve at that time.

I'd recommend checking out Planet Mozilla for more information about what Mozilla is doing and why. Right now they're running a series of blog posts about the performance regression testing for Australis (finding places where it was slower instead of faster like intended). There are also regular posts from the teams working on memory usage, overall browser responsiveness, as well as JavaScript and other aspects of browser performance.

E: Typo.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 17, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Memshrink has also been making a lot of progress on reducing the memory requirements for Firefox, and electrolysis is making progress. Most of these things are to benefit mobile, especially Firefox OS, but the benefits transfer to the desktop version as well. Firefox 27 on desktop or so uses electrolysis here and there, like for generating tab images on the new tab page, and Firefox 29 has electrolysis for the whole browser (preffed off). Right now, I think electrolysis is just 1 process the browser and 1 process for all the tabs, but even that is a pretty big improvement to usability.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Avenging Dentist posted:

Memshrink has also been making a lot of progress on reducing the memory requirements for Firefox, and electrolysis is making progress. Most of these things are to benefit mobile, especially Firefox OS, but the benefits transfer to the desktop version as well. Firefox 27 on desktop or so uses electrolysis here and there, like for generating tab images on the new tab page, and Firefox 29 has electrolysis for the whole browser (preffed off). Right now, I think electrolysis is just 1 process the browser and 1 process for all the tabs, but even that is a pretty big improvement to usability.

Is there a noticeable difference in UI performance with Electrolysis enabled?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a noticeable difference in UI performance with Electrolysis enabled?

I haven't tried it, but I imagine the main benefit is going to be eliminating animation hitching in browser chrome (no, not that Chrome). Also, security.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It'll be really cool when they really sort of the UI lag stuff. Chrome rarely does that. I mean Chrome is also fast and seems lean, so I suspect that's why a lot of people switched to it.

I go back and forth.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Here's a recent blog post by Bill McCloskey about multi-process Firefox (Electrolysis/e10s) and current progress. It gives a good overview of the project and challenges faced, though it does get a bit technical you can just skip to the next section when you stop caring about what he's saying.

Bonus Edit: A release happened since this blog post and the feature is in Aurora. They aren't kidding about needing a fresh profile, my browser was almost totally broken when enabling with my current profile, but seems to be working okay so far on a clean profile. My current profile is grungy as hell though.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
My only complaint about the UI change is it looks like rear end on Windows Classic. If anyone knows how to change that blue on the menu bar to the same colour as the rest of the UI I'd love to hear it. Also double clicking the tab bar doesn't open a new empty tab but fullscreens Firefox instead. I didn't notice but it seems I use that quite a lot!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fapos posted:

My only complaint about the UI change is it looks like rear end on Windows Classic. If anyone knows how to change that blue on the menu bar to the same colour as the rest of the UI I'd love to hear it. Also double clicking the tab bar doesn't open a new empty tab but fullscreens Firefox instead. I didn't notice but it seems I use that quite a lot!

Windows... Classic..?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Jago posted:

Windows... Classic..?

Windows XP still has a couple months of support left it's a bit silly of Mozilla not to test that.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Jago posted:

Windows... Classic..?
The "Windows Classic" theme in Windows 7, under the Control Panel->Personalization options.

AKA the proper theme with some actual contrast so you can see what's going on.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Maybe you should get a better monitor and/or glasses.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pilsner posted:

AKA the proper theme with some actual contrast so you can see what's going on.

More accurately the "disable hardware acceleration" mode.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm using the latest version that updated like a week or two ago, and it's constantly crashing now. Just sitting there on a few normal non flash webpages in the background not even looking at the browser it will sit there and eat up 3.5 gigs of my 4gb of ram and puts my computer into 486 mode while it's grinds everything into the pagefile until I can manage to kill it from task manager.

Anyone have any idea whats going on or how to fix it? It's really starting to piss me off.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

I'm using the latest version that updated like a week or two ago, and it's constantly crashing now. Just sitting there on a few normal non flash webpages in the background not even looking at the browser it will sit there and eat up 3.5 gigs of my 4gb of ram and puts my computer into 486 mode while it's grinds everything into the pagefile until I can manage to kill it from task manager.

Anyone have any idea whats going on or how to fix it? It's really starting to piss me off.

Firefox is crashing/being slow/acting weird/using a lot of memory. How do I fix it?
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox and all extensions.
  2. Use https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to make sure all plugins are up to date (specifically, ensure Flash is current).
  3. Ensure that you have the latest graphics drivers.
  4. If it's still crashing, disable all extensions. If Firefox acts normal with all extensions disabled, re-enable extensions one by one until you determine the culprit.
  5. If it's still crashing, try recreating a new profile using the built-in Reset Firefox feature.
  6. If it's still crashing, manually create a new profile.
  7. If it's still crashing with a new profile, uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
  8. If it's still crashing after doing all of these things, post in this thread.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Can someone help me out here please? Just got a new laptop and I've tried several times to import my Profile over from my old machine to this one. I followed the directions I found on the Mozilla help area, basically copied the unique Profile over to a USB drive and then pasting it into my Appdata file on the new machine. It shows up and says that I am using that profile (I did the firefox.exe -p command first, as instructed).

But nothing seems to have transferred, none of my Addons/extensions/logins, etc. What am I missing? Both machines are running version 26, old machine was Windows 7 and new is running 8.1 (if that matters).

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
about:support then click Show Folder, close firefox then Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C create a new folder on a USB stick then Ctrl-V to paste everything into the usb folder,

put usb in new machine, then open firefox on that machine, do About:support click show folder close firefox, then CTRL-A to select all mash the Delete button then open your usb open the folder you created and then select all CTRL-A then CTRL-C then CTRL-V into the folder firefox opened.

log-out then backin and relaunch firefox and everything should be how it was on the old machine.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Atrocious Pirate posted:

about :support then click Show Folder, close firefox then Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C create a new folder on a USB stick then Ctrl-V to paste everything into the usb folder,

put usb in new machine, then open firefox on that machine, do about :support click show folder close firefox, then CTRL-A to select all mash the Delete button then open your usb open the folder you created and then select all CTRL-A then CTRL-C then CTRL-V into the folder firefox opened.

log-out then backin and relaunch firefox and everything should be how it was on the old machine.

Oh man, thanks so much. That worked flawlessly. Thank you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is possible to only selectively clear parts of your cache? Say could I make a grooveshark folder or partition or some thing so I don't have to re download songs but clear could every thing else?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Jippa posted:

Is possible to only selectively clear parts of your cache? Say could I make a grooveshark folder or partition or some thing so I don't have to re download songs but clear could every thing else?
Are you sure Grooveshark songs are stored in your cache? I just fired it up and played a few songs and I'm not seeing anything that looks like the actual audio in about :cache, but I could be wrong. To answer your question directly, I don't think it's possible to selectively clear your cache if the Grooveshark files are going in the same disk cache as everything else.

Edit: And the Grooveshark site seems to imply that caching is only done through their mobile app. I changed some cache settings in Firefox and enabled HTTPS caching and I'm still not seeing anything in the cache that looks like music when I search for "grooveshark", but the actual cache entries may not contain that string.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 1, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for your help anyway.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I have flash set to "Ask to Activate", but I accidently input "Always Activate" on the SA Forums on a previous time it asked, and I'd like to get it to revert to requesting first. How do I reset this? Some topics with heavy YouTube linkage give my browser problems on OSX.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thauros posted:

I have flash set to "Ask to Activate", but I accidently input "Always Activate" on the SA Forums on a previous time it asked, and I'd like to get it to revert to requesting first. How do I reset this? Some topics with heavy YouTube linkage give my browser problems on OSX.

Click the icon to the left of the URL when you're on the Forums. More Information... Permissions tab> Activate Plugins

Change your settings there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Click the icon to the left of the URL when you're on the Forums. More Information... Permissions tab> Activate Plugins

Change your settings there.

Thanks, the settings there are going to be useful for plenty of other things as well. I know Flash in OS X is always going to perform pretty dreadfully, but I wish Firefox could handle it as well as Safari can on my new, fairly powerful computer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you prefer a slower pace of UI updates, you can use the ESR releases. While they're designed for enterprises, there's nothing stopping end users from using them.

I'm on ESR, and it just updated itself to remove a bunch of features.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Tunicate posted:

I'm on ESR, and it just updated itself to remove a bunch of features.

ESR occasionally (every 7 versions) updates to whatever the latest version of mainline Firefox is. The point is that you get feature updates in one go rather than gradually.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I finally got tired of how the chucklefucks at Mozilla seem to be actively making Firefox shittier and shittier with each new version and decided to switch to an alternative. Specifically, I went with Comodo IceDragon since it's supposed to be faster and more secure while still being able to use Firefox extensions. While it's otherwise working fine and seems to be living up to its reputation so far, I see that it has the same problem Firefox had a few months ago with the default page zoom level being too close and making every new page look like poo poo. Unfortunately, I can't remember at all what it was that I had to do to fix this problem when I encountered it with Firefox and searching for the answer again isn't getting me anywhere because of course it isn't. So could I get some help with this, please?

Also, how would I go about transferring all my extensions and their settings from Firefox to IceDragon?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem, an add-on, flash or Youtube problem but lately when I try and watch random videos (not all of them) they simply won't load until I refresh the page (sometimes a few refreshes are needed) and then they'll work magically. I'm on the latest Firefox, latest flash, all add-ons are up to date and I've tried with all add-ons disabled with the same results, is only started maybe a few weeks ago. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Fake edit: Seems it's one of my GreaseMonkey scripts 'YouTube - Auto-Buffer & Auto-HD' hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 13, 2014

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Well, I have that happen on YouTube videos sometimes, too, and I don't have any extensions that affect YouTube. And at least turning off AdBlock doesn't seem to help. So :iiam: I guess.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Yeah same here, nothing fancy, just Adblock and NoScript. They'll sometimes abruptly stop and refuse to load the rest of the video too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had a speed dial add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial/) which was great, except that while I was using it (and no other add-ons) I would regularly get pop-ups for phishing sites like browser-update.org, browser-update.net, etc., all exhorting me to update my up-to-date Firefox. I removed the extension and the pop-ups stopped. Are add-ons seriously this insecure? If there's a better speed dial add-on out there, that would be great. The firefox default is stupidly difficult to manually customize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Super Start is pretty great https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/super-start/?src=search