Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

she's using clear plastic funnels, the ultimate in cheap gunpla tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love Yuuki Kawaguchi. All the other leads have flashy customised protagonist Gundams, and he's rolling over the competition with a buffed-up Zeon ace mech using nothing but guns, knives and Mad Skillz.

A worthy Char if ever there was one. :allears:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm somewhat curious that she might be detonating plavsky particles, but I do consider funnels much more likely.

Well, I mean, it is a Qubeley, after all.

I wonder how using a Gaw carrier and a PG Zaku II are even remotely legal. I thought it was restricted to 1/144 scale?

That said, if build fighters were a thing, I would probably want to make some hellish monstrosity that's a combination of the Turn X and the Devil Gundam. Sure, build quality and imagination trump the actual canonical strength, but I would just imagine it to be even more broken and ridiculous than a hypothetical Turn X Devil Gundam would be.

"Oh, it can resist nukes, if it is destroyed but so much as one atom remains, it can completely regenerate itself using DG cells, it can survive inside the sun, travel through time, warp its shots directly into the pilot's cockpit, teleport, has a Angel Halo mind control system, it can go faster than the speed of light, its moonlight butterfly can destroy entire galaxies and it has a mini-fridge in the cockpit stocked with plenty of beer."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Oh, it can resist nukes, if it is destroyed but so much as one atom remains, it can completely regenerate itself using DG cells, it can survive inside the sun, travel through time, warp its shots directly into the pilot's cockpit, teleport, has a Angel Halo mind control system, it can go faster than the speed of light, its moonlight butterfly can destroy entire galaxies and it has a mini-fridge in the cockpit stocked with plenty of beer."

Gundam meets Majin Buu meets Gurren Lagann meets Megas XLR, then?

It's a shonen anime, so it wouldn't be out of place. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder how using a Gaw carrier and a PG Zaku II are even remotely legal. I thought it was restricted to 1/144 scale?

As somebody who owns Perfect Grade kits, that Zaku is WAY bigger than a PG. Judging by how big its hand is next to Build Strike, you're looking at something closer to 1/10 scale.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Please god don't let Yousuke Kuroda write anything but action-comedies from now on. Something wonderful must have rubbed off on him when he adapted Excel Saga.

The dramatic Meister non-reveal absolutely killed me and now I am dead.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 17, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TaurusOxford posted:

As somebody who owns Perfect Grade kits, that Zaku is WAY bigger than a PG. Judging by how big its hand is next to Build Strike, you're looking at something closer to 1/10 scale.

The 1/12 Gundam is almost as big as a man. If this is the case, I think we all know what's going to come alive at the end of the series.

I want to see Sei and Reji controlling the 1/1 Gundam with an NES advantage controller while they listen to Jackie Wilson.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The 1/12 Gundam is almost as big as a man. If this is the case, I think we all know what's going to come alive at the end of the series.

I want to see Sei and Reji controlling the 1/1 Gundam with an NES advantage controller while they listen to Jackie Wilson.

No, no. They have to use a Powerglove.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well maybe the 1/144 thing is a gentlemen's agreement and the guy with the huge Zaku is being a dick

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Replace Jackie Wilson with Tobe! Gundam and you have a deal.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Replace Jackie Wilson with Tobe! Gundam and you have a deal.

If the final battle of this show has Tobe! Gundam playing while the 1/1 Gundam comes alive to save the world this will become the greatest of all past and future Gundam shows.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

DookieSandwich posted:

Well maybe the 1/144 thing is a gentlemen's agreement and the guy with the huge Zaku is being a dick

It's probably because repairing damage to a 1/100 or bigger kit would just get ridiculous fast. They're pretty much just bigger targets too, so you'd have to put a ton of time and effort into making a beam coat, like how the dude from episode 7 gave his Apsalus an I field and the dude from this episode ensured Fellini's Buster Rifle wouldn't be able to stop him.

If you really think about it, HGs are actually the best option. Cost effective, good mobility, and less time-consuming to modify.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tsob posted:

Looks like, and also pretty much confirms that Reiji might have been telling the truth in the first episode when he said he was a prince, to say the guy instantly recognized him. He's pretty famous at the very least.

The exact method of address used is extremely formal, so yeah. Not that I know why you'd suspect deception, I don't think he's clever enough for that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So going by the toys, apparently the Star Build Strike's new backpack is called the Universe Booster I. So that confirms it's not the final suit, if anyone had any doubt.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

So going by the toys, apparently the Star Build Strike's new backpack is called the Universe Booster I. So that confirms it's not the final suit, if anyone had any doubt.

Well of course, we're not even halfway through a show about selling Gunpla.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Kanos posted:

Well of course, we're not even halfway through a show about selling Gunpla.

I wouldn't be suprised if Sei goes through about 3 more suits during the show.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure she has funnels made of clear plastic. Or something like that.
This would be amazing and diabolical, and I hope this happens.

I want a crazy "even more guns" Build Heavyarms for Sei. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Star Build Strike isn't the final upgrade (and not even halfway through the series it probably isn't) then we've probably got a Build Star Mk.II and then probably a Build Freedom or something to look forward to. I doubt he's going to switch canons for a full upgrade. If it isn't something like that it's probably going to be completely original.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

If Star Build Strike isn't the final upgrade (and not even halfway through the series it probably isn't) then we've probably got a Build Star Mk.II and then probably a Build Freedom or something to look forward to. I doubt he's going to switch canons for a full upgrade. If it isn't something like that it's probably going to be completely original.

All I want is one Gundam Hammer on a unit.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I'm hoping someone has a Gundam with a destroy mode at some point.

Honestly, this might be the the most fun anime I've watched in a long time. When I realized that I liked it because it was EVO + Gundam, it all made sense. It's just plain fun.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All I want is one Gundam Hammer on a unit.

I've been praying for this ever since the show started. Or maybe a reveal of his Dad's ace status being due to his liberal abuse of all of RX-78's gimmicky weapons. :swoon:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I've been praying for this ever since the show started. Or maybe a reveal of his Dad's ace status being due to his liberal abuse of all of RX-78's gimmicky weapons. :swoon:

His secret weapon is the beam javelin.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

G-Armor. :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ethiser posted:

His secret weapon is the beam javelin.

Super Napalm.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Man, I should have looked into this show a lot earlier than I have. I was watching other Gundams when this came out and seeing a different type of show is a nice change. I've always liked watching the fights in Gundam, so this is basically the best show for that.

It also knows how silly it is and just rolls with it, and who could hate that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thetrin posted:

I'm hoping someone has a Gundam with a destroy mode at some point.

Honestly, this might be the the most fun anime I've watched in a long time. When I realized that I liked it because it was EVO + Gundam, it all made sense. It's just plain fun.

Is Unicorn permitted for use? Not sure how they'd do that when the HGs don't transform. Kyshatria would be neat.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Nobell Gundam in episode 9 went berserker mode even though that's a separate HG, so I imagine the Unicorn will be able to transform.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This episode made me realize that battleships are probably not completely out of the question in this show. I've watched a bit of Gundam but I'm still absolutely clueless about pretty much everything concerning names or units, I completely gloss over them - and frankly I don't care - Well, I have a rough idea what a Zaku looks like and what-not but still... But give me Archangel (or any battleship) kicking some rear end (Hah, I wish) complete with a nerdy crew acting out weapons officer roles and what-not like from some Artemis LAN party and I'd be completely swooned over. That makes me think, how come some people get a co-pilot with them in Gunpla battles? Can they actually check instruments/do fiddling with power management, etc. so the pilot can actually focus on piloting? How is that fair towards solo pilots? Or are they not just shown in the anime?

I unironically like SEED best just because of the drat battleship scenes... I prefer the "gritty realistic" battles of... 08th MS Team - name escapes me... and god drat spaceship battles over flashy shounen bullshit. Am I weird? I mean, I probably shouldn't be watching Gundam for battleships, right?

...Does any specific Gundam show do ship battles better than others?

vv Yeah, which is why I'd love to see a full crew of a battleship in some episode, even if they fail spectacularly. Subset of Gundam fans that are neglected and want to show that ships are not completely useless, if you will. A bit similar in theme with the bar full of Zeon military hardcore nuts and this episode's ex-girlfriend squad. It'd fit the theme, in a way.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ships tend to be kind of secondary. It's fairly rare for there to be a lot of ship-to-ship combat because mobile suits were specifically designed to destroy ships and so you've kind of already failed if a MS is getting past the AA guns. The White Base and Archangel probably get the best 'showing' of carriers, both due to being completely separated from help and a prime target for the enemy, although a few others get some good scenes. (Victory Gundam's Reinforce/Lean Horse/whatever has some pretty good scenes from what I recall but I don't think that many.) Usually they are there to be a central target for enemies and fire a bigass gun.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Ships are cool but more often than not theyll end up as debris field for mobile suits after having been blown up by mobile suits. Alot of zeon aces became aces because they blew up alot of ships early in the war.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 17, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AzraelNewtype posted:

The exact method of address used is extremely formal, so yeah. Not that I know why you'd suspect deception, I don't think he's clever enough for that.

I wouldn't say he's not clever enough (though this is also probably true), more that he just doesn't care enough to try and hide it. And while I didn't suspect him of lying about it personally, a good few people do seem to think it was a lie - though that could just be /m/ being /m/ since it's mostly there I saw it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dessel posted:

That makes me think, how come some people get a co-pilot with them in Gunpla battles? Can they actually check instruments/do fiddling with power management, etc. so the pilot can actually focus on piloting? How is that fair towards solo pilots? Or are they not just shown in the anime?

I don't think they actually get any controls, just monitors on status and functions. Somebody to track the charge bar, energy expenditure and damaged sections so the pilot can know about it without having to go through menus they don't have time for. A canny pilot probably can keep track of these intuitively though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I get the impression that what people bring to the Gunpla arena isn't strictly monitored beyond "Did you bring a plastic model from Gundam to fight with". There are multiple teams with a separate operator/pilot(sometimes more than one operator, look at Gundam DX Jamil cosplayer guy), people bringing battleships instead of mobile suits, people apparently bringing models in entirely different scales from everyone else, Aila's allowed to have her weird super pilot suit that presumably does something that other pilots don't have access to, etc.

Gunpla fighters seem to just be given an arena and told to have at it any way they want.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The most important thing to take away from this episode:

Those GP bases can stand up to just about anything, goddamn.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dessel posted:

This episode made me realize that battleships are probably not completely out of the question in this show. I've watched a bit of Gundam but I'm still absolutely clueless about pretty much everything concerning names or units, I completely gloss over them - and frankly I don't care - Well, I have a rough idea what a Zaku looks like and what-not but still... But give me Archangel (or any battleship) kicking some rear end (Hah, I wish) complete with a nerdy crew acting out weapons officer roles and what-not like from some Artemis LAN party and I'd be completely swooned over. That makes me think, how come some people get a co-pilot with them in Gunpla battles? Can they actually check instruments/do fiddling with power management, etc. so the pilot can actually focus on piloting? How is that fair towards solo pilots? Or are they not just shown in the anime?

I unironically like SEED best just because of the drat battleship scenes... I prefer the "gritty realistic" battles of... 08th MS Team - name escapes me... and god drat spaceship battles over flashy shounen bullshit. Am I weird? I mean, I probably shouldn't be watching Gundam for battleships, right?

...Does any specific Gundam show do ship battles better than others?

vv Yeah, which is why I'd love to see a full crew of a battleship in some episode, even if they fail spectacularly. Subset of Gundam fans that are neglected and want to show that ships are not completely useless, if you will. A bit similar in theme with the bar full of Zeon military hardcore nuts and this episode's ex-girlfriend squad. It'd fit the theme, in a way.

While ship battles would be great Bandai doesn't really make ship models to scale with the 1/144 scale Gundams. Most ships are something like 1/448 scale. I'm not even sure if the carrier we saw ever came out as a kit or if the guy scratch build the whole drat thing himself for the sake of girlfriend revenge. :stare:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

While ship battles would be great Bandai doesn't really make ship models to scale with the 1/144 scale Gundams. Most ships are something like 1/448 scale. I'm not even sure if the carrier we saw ever came out as a kit or if the guy scratch build the whole drat thing himself for the sake of girlfriend revenge. :stare:

You my friend have never been truly in love.

... And then had that love stolen from you by an Italian plastic model enthusiast.

I can't believe that is something applicable to this show.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
We've seen him in action several times. How terrible were all those guys that he was actually able to steal their girlfriends?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I was disappointed when the reveal turned out to not be that lanky & all wrongly proportioned Zaku from that cheap-rear end original Gundam episode :saddowns:

Still chuckling at the image of all the characters going :wtc: at seeing that

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

We've seen him in action several times. How terrible were all those guys that he was actually able to steal their girlfriends?

Eh, last year Reiji wasn't there to stop him and he probably wasn't drunk off his rear end. And he did say they came to him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pimpmust posted:

I was disappointed when the reveal turned out to not be that lanky & all wrongly proportioned Zaku from that cheap-rear end original Gundam episode :saddowns:

Still chuckling at the image of all the characters going :wtc: at seeing that

It was the '70s maaaaan, you weren't there.

• Locked thread