Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I wasn't angry, I was poking fun at myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd bike instead just because gently caress wearing a backpack for 2 months

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
My waifu is chronic lower back pain.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well it's possible to do long distance hiking, but cycling is more of a thing and probably a lot more enjoyable. I've met several people who'd done cycling trips all across honshu and kyushu so this is definitely an option for you. One Korean guy didn't have enough money for his trip so he just slept on public fountains and cycled instead of taking buses or trains.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Sounds gross as hell.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Worst Muslim posted:

Hey guys it's me the guy who had a bad China day and bugged out and posted here! My comrades in the China megathread still never forgave me. Anywho, I'm planning my next big adventure and I just wanna ask how reasonable it would be to walk almost all of Japan? Starting from somewhere like Aomori and ending up in Fukuoka, how long would it take if I use the main roads and such?

Drop this hipster traveler pretense, you just want to ride the cat bus to a maid cafe and watch anime.

Just get a rail pass/hitchhike. Or try the 88 temple tour

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Worst Muslim posted:

Perhaps. The thing is, I want to be able to travel across the country but not take a year to do so. I decided not to use bullet trains or whatever because that would be way too fast and perhaps I'd miss out on something interesting on the way to a town or city or whatever.

I think you only get 90 days on a tourist visa by default anyhow, not sure if they're extendable.

I'm with you on digging the random, in-between poo poo. A bicycle is probably gonna be your best bet, although the mamachari's that are most common here really blow for anything other than quick hops to the combini. If you're tall you'll probably have a harder time finding a secondhand frame that'll fit you well, and will have to pay a bit more for the privilege, so you might want to bring your own bike in, depending.

If you've got a motorcycle license + IDP (the IDP for just a car license won't cover you for 50cc's even if your home country's license does), you might be able to buy a 50cc scooter (depending on whether a tourist can own a vehicle or not, dunno) or at least get an extended rental and tour on that. Would make all the mountains/hills a lot less of a pain, and they're really good on gas. Can't use the expressways with anything under a 125cc, but if you're in no hurry then you're not really missing out on much there. I'm going to be doing ~30 days to Hokkaido and back on my 250cc dual sport next summer, really looking forward to it.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

caberham posted:

Drop this hipster traveler pretense, you just want to ride the cat bus to a maid cafe and watch anime.

Just get a rail pass/hitchhike. Or try the 88 temple tour

His blood turns cold as he reads the post. Abe has found out the truth. The walk, the bikes. All lies. The maids call to me in a voice sweeter than all the music in the world.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Like, the problem with the Japan thread is that they always say "take the bullet train" as if I could experience rubbing my dick against a villagers face on a bullet train.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's Japan, lad. Chances are, you probably can turkey slap whatever the caste, gender, age or orientation of your choosing you prefer on the bullet train.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah but surrounded by the tranquility of nature? I think not, fucker.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
So not to distract from Japan marathon chat, but my (new) wife and I are heading to Japan for our honeymoon and would love the chance to meet up with a Nippon goon for a totally socially normal meal or something! We will be staying in Tokyo from this Tuesday to Thursday and heading to Kyoto on Friday. While in Tokyo we'll be staying just a couple blocks from Ueno station (near the saddest zoo on the planet apparently) but we'll obviously be running all over Tokyo as well, so if anyone would be up for a goon meet that'd be awesome!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My wife and I got back from our two week trip in Tokyo this past weekend. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. We had a blast walking around Tokyo. We ended up going Suica & N'EX pass when we got there and it dropped us off at the Ikebukuro station near our hotel. Getting to the train was pretty easy and the only challenge was navigating the platform in Ikebukuro at 7pm on a weekday. Had to wheel my luggage pretty close to the edge to get through but people were very understanding. We decided to take the Airport Limousine bus back to the airport because we doubled our bags by shopping too much. The bus took 2 hours but was a nice ride straight from our hotel to the airport. Got to look at the non-metropolitan towns and some nice traditional houses.

We split our time half going shopping and half doing touristy sight seeing. Two weeks blew by fast and there were still things we haven't seen. We're definitely going back to see more of Tokyo and probably do Kyoto and Osaka next time.

I was a bit surprised how well I got by with my year and a half of college Japanese and what I picked up from watching Japanese TV shows. Most people were happy that I tried to ask things in Japanese instead of just asking in English. I did get mistaken a lot of being from Mainland China so I got Mandarin spoken to me a lot; to which I just responded in English that I don't speak Mandarin. So to follow up on an earlier conversation here, I didn't get any weird looks being from the US and being Asian. But I wasn't expecting to be mistaken for being mainland Chinese as often as I was. Especially being that I'm 6'1" with a medium build.

Can't complain too much though. People were super friendly and nice and I quickly picked up on the common etiquette around places. So thanks again for the great advice in the thread. I grab a lot of info from this and the previous thread.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Revolver Bunker posted:

But I wasn't expecting to be mistaken for being mainland Chinese as often as I was. Especially being that I'm 6'1" with a medium build.

That's probably because you dress bad or walk funny :downsrim: True Gaijins wear anime shirt and just stick to Akihabara. I kid, I kid, but a lot of times it's Japan :japan: fashion or mainland Chinese :china: :frogout: Or Mainlanders don't really speak English and use broken Japanese or sometimes just speak Mandarin :suicide:

Got any pictures to share? Seems like an awesome trip.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thread definitely needs more pictures. Preferably Flickr since imgur and most other image upload sites are blocked by my company's firewall.

\/\/ i've posted several!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 17, 2013

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

be the change you want to see in the world.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

I can post some pics of Japan. Oh! I have pictures of the Diayou Islands...oh wait...nevermind, I should post them in the China thread.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Revolver, any luck finding a Daimos figure?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

caberham posted:

That's probably because you dress bad or walk funny :downsrim: True Gaijins wear anime shirt and just stick to Akihabara. I kid, I kid, but a lot of times it's Japan :japan: fashion or mainland Chinese :china: :frogout: Or Mainlanders don't really speak English and use broken Japanese or sometimes just speak Mandarin :suicide:

Got any pictures to share? Seems like an awesome trip.

Oddly enough most of the tourist that I saw from China defaulted to broken English to order things and never really tried asking in Japanese. I took a fair amount of pictures. A lot of which was food that I ate because it was amazingly delicious. I'll sort them out and post a link when I get the chance.

riderkick posted:

Revolver, any luck finding a Daimos figure?

No luck finding it. Went to every Mandarake in Tokyo and they had all the other Chogokins cept Daimos. All for the best though. I literally ran out of space in my luggage. I might see if Amazon.jp will ship internationally. 16000 yen for it isn't bad.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Worst Muslim posted:

I can post some pics of Japan. Oh! I have pictures of the Diayou Islands...oh wait...nevermind, I should post them in the China thread.

Do you have any pictures of the Senkaku islands? I think those are okay :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Destroy all disputed rocks :china: :japan::korea:

Lol Korea hasn't earned a smilie yet, something else to be :smug: about today

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

peanut posted:

Destroy all disputed rocks :china: :japan::korea:

Lol Korea hasn't earned a smilie yet, something else to be :smug: about today

SA has yet to officially recognise the independence of the Korean Peninsula

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:gifttank: colony joke etc

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, there are actual jokes about the annexation? Do tell.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

knock knock

who's there?

japan, give us all your loving land

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, could one of you guys living in Japan help me get a domain? Star-Domain.jp sells .jp domains for like 20 bucks, whereas American sites go near 60 or 100. Any help is appreciated, and I have PMs if the conversation is better suited there.

Willing to trade sexual favors or Pokemon.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

The Worst Muslim posted:

knock knock

who's there?

japan, give us all your loving land

:gb2gbs::milk:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
What do you folks do for internet access where you live? My apartment is super nice, but it lacks net access and I'm unfamiliar with the costs and who to contact.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Fiber is really the only option given how cheap it is for ludicrously fast speeds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I signed up for 7/11 wifi, would it be idiotic to rely on that? I really don't want to pay for data if I can avoid it. I don't need to make calls or anything, just maps.

Also Christmas isn't a real holiday in Japan, right? Everything will be open?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

I signed up for 7/11 wifi, would it be idiotic to rely on that? I really don't want to pay for data if I can avoid it. I don't need to make calls or anything, just maps.

Also Christmas isn't a real holiday in Japan, right? Everything will be open?

It's a love holiday. Get your KFC and hotel on.
Starbucks has free wifi too. And there was another option for free wifi from JR as well. Sign up for Starbucks now and JR you can do at the big stations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Got Starbucks too, and the Kyoto city one (which requires two different passwords because Asia IT). The internet says Family Mart also has it but I can't find the signup page anywhere.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'll fly in to Narita in May next year, and I'm gonna bring my wife and kids over and just trying to browse a few different hotels. I'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance of either Akihabara station or Ueno station. I stayed at Hotel MyStays Ochanomizu before, and it was great for just myself, but I'm not sure their "Deluxe Twin" will really be large enough to fit a porta-cott into (about the size of a roll-out mattress).

Anyone know any places in the area the I should do a bit of googling for? Would love to catch 7 days for less than 100,000JPY but a bit over that would be ok.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Mug posted:

I'll fly in to Narita in May next year, and I'm gonna bring my wife and kids over and just trying to browse a few different hotels. I'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance of either Akihabara station or Ueno station. I stayed at Hotel MyStays Ochanomizu before, and it was great for just myself, but I'm not sure their "Deluxe Twin" will really be large enough to fit a porta-cott into (about the size of a roll-out mattress).

Anyone know any places in the area the I should do a bit of googling for? Would love to catch 7 days for less than 100,000JPY but a bit over that would be ok.

As tourists, me and my husband used to always stay in hotel sardonyx ueno, but I'm not sure if they still do nonsmoking rooms. Very easy walking distance to ueno station and close to the ameyoko markets too. We have also stayed in sutton place ueno, close to the station but not in as exciting or interesting a part of ueno.

You can walk to akihabara from either of these, and they're cheap. Sutton place is small, so keep that in mind.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rogue 7 posted:

What do you folks do for internet access where you live? My apartment is super nice, but it lacks net access and I'm unfamiliar with the costs and who to contact.

My place isn't even that new (I'd guess at least 15 years old), and I could get VDSL. It's pretty fast and rock-solid reliable, cost no more than the Yahoo BB either.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

Mug posted:

Doing Villa Fontaine Ueno next week. I've used several villa fontaine hotels but not the ueno one, they're cheap and have all been really good with zero issues so far.

Can anyone help me out planning a fuji/aokigahara trip? We decided last minute we wanted to daytrip somewhere with a nice view of fuji and a walk through aokigahara. I've only found the one group tour place around doing it and they've had some seriously disappointing feedback, plus they're charging like 200 dollars for the whole trip. Is this easy enough to just wing and do solo? I'd rather not do a guided tour anyway, but I don't know a single thing about the fuji area so I wouldn't even know where to go to from Tokyo.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Cool. Just checked into Narita for the 20 hour layover. Flew ANA - the live action Gatchaman kinda sucked, Kamen Rider was basically Dragon Ball Abridged, and Until the Lights Come Back was a nice Christmas movie.

Will try to see if I can scrounge up a schedule for a short Tokyo visit.

Edit: Will probably just do a quick Narita visit to the temples instead.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 23, 2013

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Travelling with kids, it's way easier to use futons than sleep in separate beds. A double tatami room with 3 futons should do ya. And you don't need to lug baby bedding around.

Edit: daytrip to Mt. Fuji. Japan has trains. Just look up whatever stations are in the area you want to go to and Hyperdia will throw some possible routes out. I'd leave it until last minute because I planned a fancy onsen trip out to a remote village, then it was cloudy and we couldn't see poo poo :shrug:

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 24, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'm flying into Japan in mid January to fly out elsewhere because your airfare is cheaper than ours (Korea) for some reason and I'm trying to decide between Osaka and Nagasaki. I did a rush of Osaka last time and didn't much care for it. I'll probably come back to the other anyway for a visit. Not cold down there is it, what's the better for the season now or what will be better this May?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Saw the Shinshoji Temple in Narita. That place is pretty amazing.

Though finding it was a huge pain. My random walk took me to every place other than the temple road - it doesn't help that roads don't connect onto each other that often :v:

I have to admit, Japan seems really cool and I'd love to visit for longer than half a day.

• Locked thread