Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

duckfarts posted:

Um, based on that video, he'd be against that litter box because it's automated and not because it's a roll box; the "poo poo all over the walls" would actually be a good thing rather than bad because it "smells like him/her". He's against automated litter technology(not litter itself) because "you won't be as engaged in your cat's life"(less sensible reason imo) and "you may not be as alert to any health changes in your cat". That second one is more reasonable, but I don't think having an automated box means you won't be cleaning it out and can't check for weird poops from your cat. His rationale for not toilet training(note: this is training to use an actual toilet) is kinda dumb; I think you can try and toilet train your cat if you want so long as you know it's not a guaranteed thing that's going to happen and you're prepared to live with/clean up the consequences of failure because they'll be your fault, not the cat's.

Jackson also diagnoses cats with psychiatric disorders like PTSD and recommends that you use reiki magic oils to settle cat fights, so I don't think he's much of a resource on cats, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

duckfarts posted:

Um, based on that video, he'd be against that litter box because it's automated and not because it's a roll box; the "poo poo all over the walls" would actually be a good thing rather than bad because it "smells like him/her". He's against automated litter technology(not litter itself) because "you won't be as engaged in your cat's life"(less sensible reason imo) and "you may not be as alert to any health changes in your cat". That second one is more reasonable, but I don't think having an automated box means you won't be cleaning it out and can't check for weird poops from your cat. His rationale for not toilet training(note: this is training to use an actual toilet) is kinda dumb; I think you can try and toilet train your cat if you want so long as you know it's not a guaranteed thing that's going to happen and you're prepared to live with/clean up the consequences of failure because they'll be your fault, not the cat's.

That's not at all true. Cat's don't enjoy the scent of their own poo poo or they wouldn't bury it. They like their own scent, from their cheeks, paws, etc. They rarely mark things with poo poo unless its extreme territorial anxiety. And as far as the poo poo and piss on the walls go, its not so much about the cat, its that people buy them to be more sanitary when its actually a lot more gross than a scoopable litter box.

As for toilet training, I made a post a page or so ago about how loving stupid it is, so I won't bother to re-type it here, but god drat, its stupid. I don't agree with Jackson on a lot of things, mostly on his spiritual garbage and essence products. But he's right about litter and how silly it is when humans try to make their cats conform to their own desires on things which go against their very nature.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 16, 2013

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Franklin's baby teeth have been falling out recently and today I noticed this: (!)

How long should it take for the little things to fall out? I'm just worried that they are bothering him or something, but I know I'm being silly worrying about that. :ohdear:

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast has mutant double fangs for like a week or two before the milk teeth popped out on their own. I wouldn't worry about it hurting Franklin unless it's affecting his eating, honestly.

Toast also had horrible death breath while he was teething, too, but it went away once he was done. Apparently that's a thing?

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

aghastly posted:

Toast also had horrible death breath while he was teething, too, but it went away once he was done. Apparently that's a thing?

Thanks for the response. Our lady cat's teeth only stayed snaggley for like 3 nanoseconds before they fell out. And on the bad breath, I honestly thought that was a boy cat thing and had resigned my fate to having a cat with really stinky cat breath as opposed to just stinky cat breath. Here's hoping Frankie's gets better too once all these teeth fall out!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

huh, you know. My cat had stinky breath also when teething. I never considered that was the reason. I never had the double fang though. Also, for teething kitties I highly recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Petstages-Dental-Health-Chews-pair/dp/B0009YF3KY/ Helped a lot with getting her to chew something other than my arm and wires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How hard are cats on real hardwood? (As opposed to the tougher engineered stuff.)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay I have a question. One of my cats does this weird thing. My wife has some pink fuzzy socks that she (the cat) like to pick up and hold in her mouth, carry around, then she'll start meowing really loudly. Sometimes she'll do this hours on end. All 4 cats are fixed, and she's the only one that does this. They're all healthy physically. It's adorable as poo poo at times, but should I be worried, or is it just a quirk that she picked up?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay I have a question. One of my cats does this weird thing. My wife has some pink fuzzy socks that she (the cat) like to pick up and hold in her mouth, carry around, then she'll start meowing really loudly. Sometimes she'll do this hours on end. All 4 cats are fixed, and she's the only one that does this. They're all healthy physically. It's adorable as poo poo at times, but should I be worried, or is it just a quirk that she picked up?

My cat does that with a feather boa like this

She usually only does it when I'm not home (the boyfriend tells me about it). She's done it for years, if I were you I wouldn't be too concerned.

e: Just remembered that my boy cat who lives with my parents does it too with a few of his favorite toys. I think it's just a weird cat thing.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

She has learned to sing the song of the "X" (X being whatever object she likes). Those socks are the Best Socks, and they are Her Socks, and she must lord them over the rest of the household while singing the song of the Best Socks That Are Hers.

She's fine, it is just a goofy behavior. My in-law's cat sings the song of her mouse at about 11pm every night, and my friends had a cat that would sing the song of his favorite Puffball. She may just be trying to taunt the other cats into playing, aka "Oh goodness, I have this thing and it is awesome, please don't chase me for it!" If she get weird or obsessive then just put the socks away.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Ziploc posted:

How hard are cats on real hardwood? (As opposed to the tougher engineered stuff.)

loving hysterical when they try to turn corners and don't get any traction.

Real answer: they don't seem to do damage to it, and it makes cleaning up pukes easier.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

duckfarts posted:

Um, based on that video, he'd be against that litter box because it's automated and not because it's a roll box; the "poo poo all over the walls" would actually be a good thing rather than bad because it "smells like him/her".

No, the rolling litter box incident was on the "Cat from Hell" show, during an episode about a cat called "Minibar."

Dienes posted:

Jackson also diagnoses cats with psychiatric disorders like PTSD and recommends that you use reiki magic oils to settle cat fights, so I don't think he's much of a resource on cats, period.

So he's not only cat crazy, he's just plain crazy. At least the magic oils smell nice and will help cover the cat poo smell.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Every night around 10pm my cat plays with a nylon-rope fishing cat-lure, then picks it up in his mouth, and meows loudly, dragging it from the living room to the bedroom. When she reaches the bedroom, she gives a different type of meow, drops it, and then jumps on the bed for sleeptime.

She doesn't meow all that much besides, especially not loudly, mostly just murrs and greetings near foodtime. That though, is a unique meowing system. Worried me at first, but now it's just a cute ritual.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
One of my cats has a distress call that he makes when he gets lonely. It's a loud MAAAOW?MAAOW?MAAOW?MAAAOWWW?, in quick succession, very distinctive. Because he's thick-headed, he'll do it when the other cat is merely sitting behind him or because I'm in another room and not in his eyesight. It's kind of cute in an, "Awwww, look at this poor clingy loser!" kind of way, but sometimes he'll do it in the middle of the night and wake me up, rather than just walk in through my closed-but-not-latched door.

He never meows, otherwise. He'll make little chirrup noises or trills when he greets you, but you never hear a clear "meow" unless he's wailing it to the heavens in despair.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is also the noise some cats make when they want to announce they have hunted something. It is very distinctive and is usually our cue to go rescue the mouse or bird or vegetable or bread product (and once a tiny Persian kitten) that our cats have caught or found outside. Decoy has a green toy mouse he will trumpet about sometimes as well. She just wants to tell you about what a Great Hunter she is!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Tamarillo posted:

This is also the noise some cats make when they want to announce they have hunted something. It is very distinctive and is usually our cue to go rescue the mouse or bird or vegetable or bread product (and once a tiny Persian kitten) that our cats have caught or found outside. Decoy has a green toy mouse he will trumpet about sometimes as well. She just wants to tell you about what a Great Hunter she is!

Exactly, it's the most :3: thing. Though a bit annoying if its in the middle of the night. My cat is VERY vocal with her prey, and it sounds like she's whining when she does it. She'll grab her mouse in the kitchen, start whining loudly and then chirping as she runs over to my bed to drop it next to me. She also drowns her prey, sometimes before dropping it on my lap at midnight, ugh. She gets angry and starts mewing at me if I don't throw it so she can play fetch.

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice
My siamese is pretty vocal in general, but if he has his favorite toy (any string) and wants attention, sometimes he'll stand in the hall making terrible sounding MOWWWWW noises like he's dying. They only sound bad because he has the string in his mouth, but he just wants to play.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
One of my cats meows just before he throws up, which is pretty fantastic because I can grab him and throw him in the bathtub. He's an idiot who likes to lick any sort of tuft of hair or fur he finds which he will always throw up within the hour. I try to keep the floor pretty clean, but it's like he goes out looking for it.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

It's a cat thing. Mine has various versions of his battle cry depending on what he wants. The loudest is when he sits in the bathtub and wants the other cat to come play chase.

My old cat would carry around one of the refills for his cat dancer toy and meow super loud while wandering around until he found you. Then he'd stop, look up at you, spit out the toy and walk away. He was weird.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hey here's my cat

His name is Roast Beef. He's kinda chubby because I fed him too much when I first got him this summer.

I'm visiting my parents for two weeks for Christmas, so this little guy is going on two five hour car trips. Do I like...

I mean, with a dog you just kinda stop at a rest stop and take 'em for a walk and then they poo poo and you're good but what the hell do I do with the cat? How do I make him not poo poo in his carrier or all over my car or whatever? I'm new to this help me

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
He should be able to hold it for five hours, just make sure he has somewhere to go immediately upon arrival.

We put ours in carriers in the back seat of the car, using the seatbelts through the handles at the top to secure them in place. I put a towel on the floor of the carrier just in case they peed. One of my cats peed himself on a practice run drive around town, since we didn't know how he'd react in the car, but on the day of he was fine. I think he was just scared. Keep a few extra towels just in case and check whenever you make pit stops.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
My 5 month old kitten has a curious glow in his right eye, i think he hit his head while playing earlier and i've already shown it to the vet who thought nothing of it since the eye seems to work fine, it just glows alot more than the other eye even in bright areas and it looks like he has a fingerprint inside his eye or something, maybe some kind of injury to the glowy part of the eye but it doesnt seem to bother him at all.

Alpha1
Jun 20, 2010
My three month old kitten likes toilet water. How can I fix this so I can get back to arguing whether to leave to seat up or down, because right now everyone's losing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Alpha1 posted:

My three month old kitten likes toilet water. How can I fix this so I can get back to arguing whether to leave to seat up or down, because right now everyone's losing.

Cats don't seem to like stale water. Get a car fountain.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ema Nymton posted:

So he's not only cat crazy, he's just plain crazy.

The thing that gets to me about My Cat From Hell, is that 90% of the issues would be solved if those people would pay attention to their cats.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing that gets to me about My Cat From Hell, is that 90% of the issues would be solved if those people would pay attention to their cats.

That's basically what every episode is, he tells people to play with their cats. I don't get why so many people think cats just want to be left alone to do their own thing. Hell, I read reddit pets sometimes for laughs and probably 90% of the problems there with cats are due to not interacting with them. "Why does my cat run around the house and attack me." x100 times a day. aka lazy poo poo owners don't spend 30 minutes a day having their kitten chase something, so they get little energy bombs that go off and attack them in the middle of the night. You don't need to be a cat behaviorist to help most cats, you just need to make people realize their cat needs some loving attention.

Holy poo poo, there was one episode of my cat from hell that really got me laughing. I think it was the only episode Jackson had no idea what to do, some chick was dressing her dogs and the cat, and walking her dogs in a stroller and washing their feet after walks. It was insane. Pet owners turn their cats into cats from hell. I do like the show though, even if its trash TV, its pretty much the only cat show on tv.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm here to brag that I have a cat that actually likes getting his nails clipped. Sycamore, one of our two cats, let me clip every one of his nails and only moved around to try and snuggle into my arms more. When I stopped and went to do something else, he came into the room carrying the nail clippers. :3: I think he associates nail clipping with being cuddled with. It's so much better than the other cat who I have to wrap in a towel while she wails.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Asiina posted:

One of my cats meows just before he throws up, which is pretty fantastic because I can grab him and throw him in the bathtub. He's an idiot who likes to lick any sort of tuft of hair or fur he finds which he will always throw up within the hour. I try to keep the floor pretty clean, but it's like he goes out looking for it.
Same here for 2 cats I've had. It's MROOOOWWWWRRR MROOOOOOWWWRRR MROOOOOOOWWWRRR then hurk hurk hurk bleugh splat. I take it as a warning klaxon to go make sure the cat's not on the sofa before the magic happens.

Alpha1 posted:

Learn to close the toilet lid when you're done using the toilet.
~the end~

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

JayJay posted:

You don't need to be a cat behaviorist to help most cats, you just need to make people realize their cat needs some loving attention.
One episode went like this:

:mad: Jackson, Kitty won't behave at the cat show and scratches the judges!
:catstare: gently caress this poo poo!
:reject: Lady, your cat doesn't want to be a show cat.

JayJay posted:

, and walking her dogs in a stroller and washing their feet after walks. It was insane. Pet owners turn their cats into cats from hell. I do like the show though, even if its trash TV, its pretty much the only cat show on tv.
Since the SA forums makes a cameo on the show, it is also the best show on TV ever

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Cat goons, I need advice on weight loss. I've never had an obese cat before and don't really know much about safe rates.

Butts has gone from 14.5 pounds when I adopted him in early September to 10.5 now. He's just as active as he's ever been and still has the ridonculous muscletone of a former stud. He's definitely eating, just not a lot (way less than my last cat, but she was always very skinny). His teeth and gums are great, no bad breath. He also scarfs up crappy cat treats like nobody's business. Drinking and peeing normal amounts. I've tried a few different cat foods and bowls, and he still pretty much just nibbles.

He is due for his physical and vaccinations in a month, but do you think I should move it up? Or just monitor his weight more closely? I'm guessing by his frame his current weight is probably optimal.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Alpha1 posted:

Get a toilet seat that slightly slopes inwards. Jimmy used to drink from the toilet sometimes before we moved but then the new seat isn't level and when he tried it here, his paws slid into the bowl and he never tried to drink from the toilet again :v:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

^^^ Do people really have that much loving trouble closing the toilet?

Ema Nymton posted:

One episode went like this:

:mad: Jackson, Kitty won't behave at the cat show and scratches the judges!
:catstare: gently caress this poo poo!
:reject: Lady, your cat doesn't want to be a show cat.

Since the SA forums makes a cameo on the show, it is also the best show on TV ever

Holy poo poo, never even knew about that. I saw that episode too. I'm going to need to re-watch it now because I somehow missed that shot.

Yea, the show cat episode was hilarious, probably my favorite actually. Seeing them wrestle that cat into a bag like a violent prisoner, and the entire time Jackson just looks completely speechless. I was waiting for that cat to tear a judge a new rear end in a top hat.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Cat goons, I need advice on weight loss. I've never had an obese cat before and don't really know much about safe rates.

Butts has gone from 14.5 pounds when I adopted him in early September to 10.5 now. He's just as active as he's ever been and still has the ridonculous muscletone of a former stud. He's definitely eating, just not a lot (way less than my last cat, but she was always very skinny). His teeth and gums are great, no bad breath. He also scarfs up crappy cat treats like nobody's business. Drinking and peeing normal amounts. I've tried a few different cat foods and bowls, and he still pretty much just nibbles.

He is due for his physical and vaccinations in a month, but do you think I should move it up? Or just monitor his weight more closely? I'm guessing by his frame his current weight is probably optimal.

Can you post a side shot of him if possible? 4 pounds is quite a lot for a cat to lose, but maybe he was heavy before? Was he at a shelter with free feeding?

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 17, 2013

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Sockser posted:

Hey here's my cat

His name is Roast Beef. He's kinda chubby because I fed him too much when I first got him this summer.

I'm visiting my parents for two weeks for Christmas, so this little guy is going on two five hour car trips. Do I like...

I mean, with a dog you just kinda stop at a rest stop and take 'em for a walk and then they poo poo and you're good but what the hell do I do with the cat? How do I make him not poo poo in his carrier or all over my car or whatever? I'm new to this help me

Ahhh! Is he a Russian Blue? My cats are Russians and I love them dearly. your cat has the colorings of a Russian except the eyes are the wrong color (my girl Russian has the yellow-orange eye color).

If you are concerned with a long trip you can make a pit stop 3 hours in and buy one of those disposable cat litter boxes (its made of recycled paper) and let him use it in the car then toss it out...I did this when I made a long trip of 12+ hours with my cats. They'd get out of the carrier in the car, use the litter box, then I'd put them back in the carrier and toss the litter. They SHOULD be good in 5 hours though.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

DressCodeBlue posted:

He's lost 4 pounds in 4 months? That is an awful lot in a short amount of time. I would move up the appointment.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ok, advice needed for my friend's cat.

He apparently eats Blue Buffalo indoor cat food (the hairball management stuff), but he apparently also has kidney issues with struvite crystals?

My friend has been thinking of moving him to a wet food to see if that helps since he flat out refuses to eat the vet diet stuff or anything else. The only wet food he liked they quit making (Natural Life Turkey & Chicken Entree).

So, can anyone recommend a few good brands of food that would be something close to the natural life stuff? Even the blue buffalo wet version of the turkey/chicken is ignored.

Also, best stuff to clean the carpet with. There's clumps of litter kinda buried into the fiber, so he needs to clean anyway but thought he'd tackle 2 things at once (cleaning the carpet and getting rid of the cat pee smell).

Thanks for any advice.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He apparently eats Blue Buffalo indoor cat food (the hairball management stuff), but he apparently also has kidney issues with struvite crystals?

My friend has been thinking of moving him to a wet food to see if that helps since he flat out refuses to eat the vet diet stuff or anything else. The only wet food he liked they quit making (Natural Life Turkey & Chicken Entree).

So, can anyone recommend a few good brands of food that would be something close to the natural life stuff? Even the blue buffalo wet version of the turkey/chicken is ignored.

Also, best stuff to clean the carpet with. There's clumps of litter kinda buried into the fiber, so he needs to clean anyway but thought he'd tackle 2 things at once (cleaning the carpet and getting rid of the cat pee smell).

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Fizzion-Empty-Spray-Bottle-Refills/dp/B009Z0TQNS/ is supposed to be pretty great for cat pee, but I have not had to use it yet.

As for the food, not sure what you can do aside from buying 5 or 6 different brands and just seeing which one he'll eat. Was natural life a big solid block of meat, or was it flaked/pieces? Blue buffalo has a few different sub-brands, normal, spa, wilderness, etc. and some of the chicken/turkey has different textures.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

JayJay posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Fizzion-Empty-Spray-Bottle-Refills/dp/B009Z0TQNS/ is supposed to be pretty great for cat pee, but I have not had to use it yet.

As for the food, not sure what you can do aside from buying 5 or 6 different brands and just seeing which one he'll eat. Was natural life a big solid block of meat, or was it flaked/pieces? Blue buffalo has a few different sub-brands, normal, spa, wilderness, etc. and some of the chicken/turkey has different textures.

You can always try buying some of a couple brands and mixing them at different ratios until you can move over to 100% the new food you want the cat to be on. Thats how we transitioned my cat with allergies to the grain free diet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Am I starving my cats?
I was free feeding each 1/3c of Merreck Before grain AM/PM and they were getting pretty tubby.
I've cut that to 1/3 in each bowl in the AM. Now they still don't finish it all, look like they've slimmed down, and are treat responsive. (before they gave no fucks, even for Bonito flakes.)

Am I a horrible cat owner? Do I need to feed them more?

Here is fattles recently being upset the flash went off (An is the lump under the coves to the upper right of fattles rear end):

and here are both girls on the couch at the end of october:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Took this Sunday night. Will try to get a better one when I get home. He was at a foster before. I don't know if they free-fed, but it was definitely grocery store dry food.

Edit: When he saw the vet for a post-adoption visit in September, she mentioned him being very overweight and to make sure it didn't get any higher.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thanks for any advice.

Has said cat been to the vet about this?

My cat has to eat prescription food because she was prone to UTIs. She had to get 9 bladder stones surgically removed, that's something I really don't recommend.