Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-best-films-of-2013-200655

Frances Ha at number 3 really struck me, because the Current Releases review convinced me that it's a movie neck-deep up its own rear end. So in other words, it will be on pretty much every "Best films of 2013" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Frances Ha at number 3 really struck me, because the Current Releases review convinced me that it's a movie neck-deep up its own rear end. So in other words, it will be on pretty much every "Best films of 2013" list.

Ugh you have no idea how popular that movie is here. It portrays twee New York as foreigners want it to be, in the way Midnight in Paris did romantic Paris for everyone who doesn't live there. Being from Connecticut and knowing far too many people like the titular heroine made it really hard to like that movie.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I am apparently very much in the minority with hating Frances Ha, literally every other critic seemed to adore that pretentious pile, it even went straight into the Criterion collection.

I would love for someone to convince me of what I am missing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ugh you have no idea how popular that movie is here. It portrays twee New York as foreigners want it to be, in the way Midnight in Paris did romantic Paris for everyone who doesn't live there. Being from Connecticut and knowing far too many people like the titular heroine made it really hard to like that movie.
I live a subway ride away from the areas of Brooklyn where this movie could have taken place, so watching it will probably give me a stark reminder of how boring such people can be. If I wanted to experience being around a struggling creative type scraping by, I'd take the train to Bushwick and visit my friend there- he's got more humor and talent than that pretentious garbage pile of a movie.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 17, 2013

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Vargo posted:

I am apparently very much in the minority with hating Frances Ha, literally every other critic seemed to adore that pretentious pile, it even went straight into the Criterion collection.

What did ypur other fellows think of it again?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Frances Ha is low-priority viewing for me in light of Marty's review...and the B&W publicity still of Greta Gerwig he hung on the office dartboard. Frankly, I'm scared to defy him.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I stand by my minority report.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Keanu Grieves posted:

Frances Ha is low-priority viewing for me in light of Marty's review...and the B&W publicity still of Greta Gerwig he hung on the office dartboard. Frankly, I'm scared to defy him.

I really do love Greta Gerwig, too! It's just a shame this film is so terrible.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I still might give it a shot because The Squid and the Whale, Kicking and Screaming, and Margot at the Wedding are among my favorites. PLEASE DON'T BEAT ME UP MARTY!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I know the word of the photoshop guy doesn't account for much (especially since there hasn't been a banner in over a month) but I walked out of Francis Ha. Did not care for it in the slightest and realized about thirty minutes in, i cared zero about what was happening

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

(especially since there hasn't been a banner in over a month)

I'd been meaning to ask, what happened with those? I miss them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vargo posted:

I'd been meaning to ask, what happened with those? I miss them.

Clumsy usually remembers to ask me on Saturday afternoon. I haven't been around on Saturdays for a while.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just saw La Vie d'Adèle despite it being out for about 3 months in France (I was busy/lazy.) It's terrific. The acting. OH MAN, the acting. The protagonist steals the show obviously rightfully deserves every acting award ever but that's just me.

Duly agree on the sex scenes. I guess they prove passion? But they were unnecessarily long in what is an otherwise wonderfully edited movie. For a film that pushes 3 hours I don't know how they couldn't pare those down. I remember there was some controversy after Cannes (it won the Palme D'Or) because people were unsure it'd get a commercial release due to the sex scenes. I think they did end up taking some out, but I'm pretty sure the rest wouldn't have been missed. If anything they were kept to honor the grueling poo poo the actresses had to deal with while making them. I bet they'd of been pissed to see all that effort go down the drain.

I'm going to read the graphic novel soon, seeing as a friend has a copy, and while I planned on reading it initially I'm looking forward to see the contrast between what comes down to two different visual mediums.

Off-hand there was a trailer for a German (?) movie about gay priest, I think... anyway it seems it was nominated for the Golden Bear Award(s) of the Berlin Film Festival and the trailer called said award a 'Teddy'. Is that a thing? Is the Berlin Film Festival calling the Golden Bear a "Teddy" to compete with the Oscar or something? Cause that's lame.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Vargo posted:

Frances Ha is seriously, heinously loving terrible, to the point where I was almost tempted to put it on our list (at least until I realized that would mean having to watch the rest of it), so I guess that puts me in the "just don't get it" boat too. For some reason it's just one of those fashionable things, I don't know why. Even watching the trailer is exhausting. If it was just me I'd probably chalk all that up to the usual bitter husk reflex I've developed from constant overexposure to barbarian butt-worship, laser titty witches, and weird robot sex-play, but I'm glad I'm not the only one :hchatter:.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm curious Vargo (and anyone else who's seen both films), what makes Frances Ha fundamentally different from Inside Llewyn Davis? I'm not a huge Coen brothers fan- I mean I like their movies but I don't nerd gush about them, so it seemed to me like the main difference between the two is that Inside Llewyn Davis is better made and more self-aware, which to me honestly isn't much of an endorsement on its own. Nebraska sounded like a much better movie to me simply on the grounds that its characters didn't sound as pretentious.

On a more general note, a truism about criticism I've heard a lot is that you can't criticize a movie for having a bad message, but rather on its intrinsic value (Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will being obvious examples). But the way Keanu Grieves directly attacks the apparent rape in Contracted (something Current Releases does a lot) has made me wonder whether this is an inherently valid idea. If critics can't attack this kind of stuff, who else is there? Where are we supposed to find someone who can point out that lesbians do not regularly shack up with guys and this idea shows up in movies way more often than makes any kind of logical sense? TV Tropes?

Speaking of lesbians I guess I'll probably have to watch Blue is the Warmest Color, since I'm just hearing too many good things about it to ignore it on general film lesbian problem principles. Also, Keanu Grieves directly pointed out the Male Gaze problem but still seemed to think the positives clearly outweighed the negatives there (see how that kind of direct criticism can help establish credibility?). I must admit the title annoys me. On the festival circuit it was just called Adele: Chapter 1 and 2 and that title seems way more appropriate for the kind of story it is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if the title was changed slightly to help promote the graphic novel overseas or something.

And honestly the overlong and gratuitous sex scenes of the movie are the only bad point I can think of. I thought it represented lesbians and their relationships just fine especially since it showed them having a relationship just as anyone else would. That's a problem a lot of movies have when representing gay relationships. They seem to think that because they're gay they have to do something different but the fact is that both gay and straight relationships function in the same way. The movie did a nice job handling the respective meet the in-laws dinner where the tension arose even more from the working class versus upper class contrast between Adèle's family and Emma's family. That type of struggle is even more relevant in general relationships and I felt was the biggest problem in the relationship between the two women, since it is that very struggle that leads to the end, regardless of Adèle's own struggle with coming out, which all told is only briefly touched upon in the film I felt.

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm curious Vargo (and anyone else who's seen both films), what makes Frances Ha fundamentally different from Inside Llewyn Davis? I'm not a huge Coen brothers fan- I mean I like their movies but I don't nerd gush about them, so it seemed to me like the main difference between the two is that Inside Llewyn Davis is better made and more self-aware, which to me honestly isn't much of an endorsement on its own. Nebraska sounded like a much better movie to me simply on the grounds that its characters didn't sound as pretentious.

I really liked Inside Llewyn Davis and it reminded me in no small way of A Serious Man. Both are very bleak in different ways. Llewyn Davis is better made and more self-aware and that's what surely helps it. Davis is a unlikeable but very clearly human. He has his good points and his bad ones and I felt as an audience member that I could get what was happening with him and sympathize at times. But since the film itself doesn't take sides and remains quite neutral in the matter, it makes it easier to recognize when he's hosed up. That was my biggest problem with Frances Ha, it's about an unlikeable person but the film itself tries so hard to make you like her and celebrates her success that she in no way deserves. Perhaps that's why it's the perfect hipster movie because it's so damned "ironic"? Unlike Frances, Llewyn Davis doesn't succeed despite trying and in fact keeps getting shat upon, again very much like A Serious Man. It also had a great supporting cast of flawed characters presented as such unlike, the cast of paper thin caricatures that Frances Ha expected us to like and dislike as she did despite the fact that we have no real inclination to ever agree with her on anything. Re-reading this I don't think I'm going anywhere new with this argument and I can't reviews as prettily as you folks do. All I can say is if you liked A Serious Man you'd probably enjoyed Inside Llewyn Davis. It was surprisingly less about the period music than O Brother was (a thing I really liked from that movie) but seeing as I'm not a huge fan of folk music that's ok.

Just found out they reviewed Inside Llewyn Davis this week. Reading it I liked it better than Vargo did it seems.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 22, 2013

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really liked Inside Llewyn Davis and it reminded me in no small way of A Serious Man. Both are very bleak in different ways. Llewyn Davis is better made and more self-aware and that's what surely helps it. Davis is a unlikeable but very clearly human. He has his good points and his bad ones and I felt as an audience member that I could get what was happening with him and sympathize at times. But since the film itself doesn't take sides and remains quite neutral in the matter, it makes it easier to recognize when he's hosed up. That was my biggest problem with Frances Ha, it's about an unlikeable person but the film itself tries so hard to make you like her and celebrates her success that she in no way deserves. Perhaps that's why it's the perfect hipster movie because it's so damned "ironic"? Unlike Frances, Llewyn Davis doesn't succeed despite trying and in fact keeps getting shat upon, again very much like A Serious Man. It also had a great supporting cast of flawed characters presented as such unlike, the cast of paper thin caricatures that Frances Ha expected us to like and dislike as she did despite the fact that we have no real inclination to ever agree with her on anything. Re-reading this I don't think I'm going anywhere new with this argument and I can't reviews as prettily as you folks do. All I can say is if you liked A Serious Man you'd probably enjoyed Inside Llewyn Davis. It was surprisingly less about the period music than O Brother was (a thing I really liked from that movie) but seeing as I'm not a huge fan of folk music that's ok.

Just found out they reviewed Inside Llewyn Davis this week. Reading it I liked it better than Vargo did it seems.

Pretty much everything in this post is correct. The Coens are perfectly content with saying "Llewyn Davis is a schmuck." Frances Ha wants us to sympathize and root for the title character, who doesn't deserve it at all.

Also, like I said, I didn't like ILD much, but I expect many people will get more from it than I did.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I want to write a fuller response to you and 100YrsofAttitude, but in the meantime, you should get in touch with me: seanhanson at gmail dot com. Hurry, Some Guy TT!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My nearby movie theater has Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle playing on its two screens. Thanks for telling me that Wolf should have been pared down, that makes my choice a lot easier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm looking forward to Jay Dub's review of Bill and Ted 3: Stallyns in Sengoku.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm looking forward to Jay Dub's review of Bill and Ted 3: Stallyns in Sengoku.

"Party on, dudes!"

"Party on, gaijin!"

It writes itself!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Dub posted:

"Party on, dudes!"

"Party on, gaijin!"

*air guitar*

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Jay Dub posted:

"Party on, dudes!"

"Party on, gaijin!"

It writes itself!

At some point there must be a white-bearded, hunched over Kung Fu master who will judge them and then exclaim, 'EXCERRENT!' and air guitar with them with KARATE MAGIC that makes actual guitar sounds.

What's Alex Winter up to these days?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There is only one way to see whether Prof. Clumsy's phallic image obsession is grounded in reality or just plain out there. Does he agree or disagree with The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQsvOkkLq4

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Reading through Vargo's Post-Occupy essay and got to the point about Scarface. The only thing I could think of was "People missed the incest part? His sister totally tells Tony that she'll gently caress him now because he won't let her be with anyone else." How do you not catch that?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

*air guitar*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXSZ2opq8Y

poo poo, I'd watch it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

N. Senada posted:

Reading through Vargo's Post-Occupy essay and got to the point about Scarface. The only thing I could think of was "People missed the incest part? His sister totally tells Tony that she'll gently caress him now because he won't let her be with anyone else." How do you not catch that?

For a very long time, Pacino denied that there were incestuous themes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't think the SHIELD show and the Marvel movies are going to be as interconnected as Jay Dub believes. For starters, the much ballyhooed Thor tie-in amounted to "the McGuffin for this episode is an Asgardian artifact, and Peter MacNicol plays an Asgardian we've never seen or heard of before and probably never will again." And we're probably going to find out why Coulson isn't dead this Tuesday. As for Skye, my theory for that is "Amazing Spider-Man Annual 5, without Spider-Man."

I suspect there'll be Easter Eggs, and something HYDRA-themed for a similar Winter Soldier tie-in, but I don't think they're going to let a TV show dictate story points to the movies.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
You're probably right. But if Coulson returns in Avengers 2, they're either going to have to explain why he's back all over again (which they could very well just handwave with a line or two), or have Tony Stark shrug and say something like "Welp, guess I missed that briefing. *wink*"

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Jay Dub posted:

You're probably right. But if Coulson returns in Avengers 2, they're either going to have to explain why he's back all over again (which they could very well just handwave with a line or two), or have Tony Stark shrug and say something like "Welp, guess I missed that briefing. *wink*"

They'll do the latter, because America is in love with RDJ's smarm.

On the topic of this CR this week, I just love the mental image of Clumsy diving into a pile of cocks Scrooge McDuck style.

I think he's dead on with his interpretations (especially The Wolverine and Only God Forgives), but that image just cracks me up.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Y-Hat posted:

There is only one way to see whether Prof. Clumsy's phallic image obsession is grounded in reality or just plain out there. Does he agree or disagree with The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQsvOkkLq4

Oh, you found my youtube channel.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Alternatively, I'd love it if Avengers 2 featured a subplot about Stark constantly trying to get Coulson killed again. Hey, he came back once. Maybe he can do it twice!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

If it were anyone else, that kind of handwave would be dumb, but I'd buy it from RDJ. He made the loving Galaga joke work.

TwistedLadder posted:

On the topic of this CR this week, I just love the mental image of Clumsy diving into a pile of cocks Scrooge McDuck style.

Instead of a lucky dime, he has a lucky dong.

I'll see myself out.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Look, there are only so many jokes we can make about Vietnamese currency!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're all such good writers and Keanu Grieves has certainly given me a good list of movies to look for. But it's Prof. Clumsy's pieces that make me feel like I learned something. He actually almost makes me want to re-watch Only God Forgives, not that I didn't get his points the first time around, it's far from a subtle movie, but he makes it sound so pretty and engaging that I'm lucky I remembered how much of a horrible slog it was to watch. So congrats Clumsy for writing with your heart on your sleeve. I don't think it's ever been in doubt but you really can tell the passion you have for what you do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love Clumsy and I want him to obsess over my penis.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're all such good writers and Keanu Grieves has certainly given me a good list of movies to look for. But it's Prof. Clumsy's pieces that make me feel like I learned something. He actually almost makes me want to re-watch Only God Forgives, not that I didn't get his points the first time around, it's far from a subtle movie, but he makes it sound so pretty and engaging that I'm lucky I remembered how much of a horrible slog it was to watch. So congrats Clumsy for writing with your heart on your sleeve. I don't think it's ever been in doubt but you really can tell the passion you have for what you do.

Thank you for the kind words. I must have watched Only God Forgives seven of eight times in total by now and I love it. Easily my film of the year.

Y-Hat posted:

I love Clumsy and I want him to obsess over my penis.

I'm obsessed with the phallic imagery in your avatar. What are the implications of the the bird's phallic sword thrusting toward the fleeing knight?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Prof. Clumsy needs to see Little Children if he hasn't already.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The 2013 in Review article is hands-down the best work you guys have ever published. I don't know if it was intentional or just a natural evolution, but either way the entire writing crew has become specialized and personal, there's a consistency of insight that the readers can rely on and utilize, it's fantastic. There are really no greater objectives than these for arts reviewers. That it's a whole staff writing at this level is astounding on top of that.

Keep it up, Crazy 8's. 2014 seems to be the year you've all got your voices figured out, not just independently but in tandem, and that's really exciting.

E: Grammar

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Onomarchus posted:

Prof. Clumsy needs to see Little Children if he hasn't already.

I am really confused by the use of a spoiler tag here. No matter what angle I think about why you used one, it doesn't make sense.

• Locked thread