Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think you can do better than even the "dear sir or madam" approach. Find the must junior, overworked HR person you can find. Leave your letter of resignation in their in box. In hardcopy. Nobody can say poo poo about it because you did give your notice in writing, but it's entirely possible your boss may get a surprise that way. There's a chance of fuckery if they decide to toss the letter and then try and gently caress you over. Maybe send an email, and bcc an offsite email address, with the subject line "Something long overdue". HR will look at that one last. Even better, find an HR person who is going on vacation, and send it as close to the time they activate their vacation responder as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Or just stop showing up and collect your last check late because they're going to fick you on it regardless

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Don't forget to show arrangebypenis.exe to that guy you work with on your last day. You'll know who.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, he should just walk out rather than giving any sort of notice. If they're not going to reimburse him for poo poo he did for the company, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to try to dick him over on that two weeks pay.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Satisfying as it would be, and much as they deserve it, give your two weeks' notice and exit like a responsible adult.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

guppy posted:

Satisfying as it would be, and much as they deserve it, give your two weeks' notice and exit like a responsible adult.

This. Always take the high road and never burn your bridges.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Number19 posted:

This. Always take the high road and never burn your bridges.

And then sit back smugly and watch their world burn, if they truly are as idiotic as your posts make them out to be. That should be satisfying enough.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Don't listen to these doormats

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You can be like me and do both! I quit, went back, gave two weeks notice, and then quit again!

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

quote:

While login the Environment, PC can database

As a double whammy, for some reason the end user requested it be assigned directly to me. On the network engineering team.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One job I left they insisted on 6 weeks notice. At the time I quit I had 4 weeks of holiday time owning I needed to take or lose. I gave them the 6 weeks, then gave them 2 weeks notice I was using the holidays, as the contract stipulated.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Varkk posted:

One job I left they insisted on 6 weeks notice. At the time I quit I had 4 weeks of holiday time owning I needed to take or lose. I gave them the 6 weeks, then gave them 2 weeks notice I was using the holidays, as the contract stipulated.
Were you expecting them to want to work out your notice? Because that's pretty unusual for any job where you have access to anything exciting, even if you leave rather than are fired, right?
The only job I've had where they wanted me to work out my notice was the one where, up until my last day, they genuinely couldn't believe I wanted to quit.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Decent jobs use those two weeks for knowledge transfer and frantic last-minute documentation, so yeah, generally, they expect you to work them out.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Every job has expected me to work my notice so far... I've resigned every time, but had to walk out of one on the spot due to being hired to do a different job to what they actually had me doing (a demotion in effect)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I think especially in a knowledge job like IT it's just fair to stick around for a bit and update your documentation and show your soon former colleagues around on things they will have to do for you in the future.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So got a call last night from the trucking company IT manager. According to him he was talking to the general manager and recommending that they interview me to replace him. The general manager told him "Oh, weren't you told? We already hired a replacement"

Not sure if that's true or not.

I did get a call from my old manager, from before the company I work for got stupid, asking if I want to work for him again. It would be helpdesk and from our conversation, id take a bit of a pay cut. He would give me the option to work from home, as transit into their office is flaky at best. Gonna toss a resume in and see what the actual offer says and see if i can negotiate to at least what im making now.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

So got a call last night from the trucking company IT manager. According to him he was talking to the general manager and recommending that they interview me to replace him. The general manager told him "Oh, weren't you told? We already hired a replacement"

Not sure if that's true or not.

I did get a call from my old manager, from before the company I work for got stupid, asking if I want to work for him again. It would be helpdesk and from our conversation, id take a bit of a pay cut. He would give me the option to work from home, as transit into their office is flaky at best. Gonna toss a resume in and see what the actual offer says and see if i can negotiate to at least what im making now.

At this point, take the pay cut. Your sanity isn't worth the extra money.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
After all the costs of insurance going up despite NJ to NY train fare being nonexistent, my recent YOTJ was more or less a lateral take-home pay move, but good Christ the sanity difference is palpable.

Take the pay cut. At least you know what you're getting with the old people.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

RadicalR posted:

Work from home can be worth the paycut... commuting is generally unpaid time that you get back.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lum posted:

Well it's usually more like taking your broken car to the mechanic and being all "it's running like crap and making funny noises LOL skodas amirite" and the actual problem is:

I used to work at a dry cleaner. I would regularly have customers come in and indicate a hole in their garment, then ask me to "dryclean it out."

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Varkk posted:

My last job, contractually was 3 months notice. When the recession hit and they suggested they were making redundancies, the long notice period was almost beneficial. However the risk averse side of me fortunately found a new job. I knew they wanted to keep me at my last job but I suspected the company may go under anytime (it never did in fairness)

However I managed to leave within about 3 weeks after pointing out, unlike the redundant staff I'm not asking to walk off with a chunky pay off. I got lucky I guess

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

coyo7e posted:

I used to work at a dry cleaner. I would regularly have customers come in and indicate a hole in their garment, then ask me to "dryclean it out."

It's heartwarming to see stupidity of people continues to all fields.

Or, you know, tragic and depressing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Taking a pay cut with a new job is one of those things that's almost always a terrible idea. This is not one of those times.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So I got home after work and this was on my kitchen table from my fiancee:

The bottle was unopened when I got home, and the cookies are Ginger Snaps she made today...

Content:

Had a phone interview before I left work. I would be sole IT for a small government board, pay is really good but transit will be a nightmare until I can afford a car. I would be leaving home at 615am and getting home at 745pm.

Interview will be in the new year as they are closed most of the next two weeks

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A vacation came in...

Time to do jack poo poo for a week and a half.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

blackswordca posted:

So I got home after work and this was on my kitchen table from my fiancee:

The bottle was unopened when I got home, and the cookies are Ginger Snaps she made today...

Content:

Had a phone interview before I left work. I would be sole IT for a small government board, pay is really good but transit will be a nightmare until I can afford a car. I would be leaving home at 615am and getting home at 745pm.

Interview will be in the new year as they are closed most of the next two weeks
Nice, you're treated well at home, at least!
That commute is going to be taxing. If you get a car, can you get it down to 2 to 2.5 hours a day? Is that possible in a few months?
During my probationary period, I was commuting 2.5 hours each way to work from my mother's place before I moved out (three different transit systems and almost no wait times for transfers. And on bad days it can be 3 to 3.5 hours in whatever direction I tried to go in).
But generally I was getting up at 5am and getting home at 9pm. I did this for three months and a bit, and yes, it sucked really hard. You find ways to use the commute time (like sleep, reading, research, etc), but it still wastes your life away.

Is relocating closer to the job a realistic idea if you found the area attractive, hopefully?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Kachunkachunk posted:

Nice, you're treated well at home, at least!
That commute is going to be taxing. If you get a car, can you get it down to 2 to 2.5 hours a day? Is that possible in a few months?
During my probationary period, I was commuting 2.5 hours each way to work from my mother's place before I moved out (three different transit systems and almost no wait times for transfers. And on bad days it can be 3 to 3.5 hours in whatever direction I tried to go in).
But generally I was getting up at 5am and getting home at 9pm. I did this for three months and a bit, and yes, it sucked really hard. You find ways to use the commute time (like sleep, reading, research, etc), but it still wastes your life away.

Is relocating closer to the job a realistic idea if you found the area attractive, hopefully?

with a car, it'll probably be 30-45 minutes or so each way, depending on traffic. On bus im looking at a good 1.5 hours or so each way. I have to go across two transit systems with a 20 minute wait in between. The stop at least is fairly close, about a 2 block walk.

Edmonton isnt too bad for commuting in, but since its an oil city transit is terrible.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Migishu posted:

A vacation came in...

Time to do jack poo poo for a week and a half.

In our weekly meeting this week our boss told those of us on going on vacation to remember to check our email at least three times a day. Guess it's a shame I won't have a computer or Internet access and my phone doesn't have my work email on it... :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blackswordca posted:

with a car, it'll probably be 30-45 minutes or so each way, depending on traffic. On bus im looking at a good 1.5 hours or so each way. I have to go across two transit systems with a 20 minute wait in between. The stop at least is fairly close, about a 2 block walk.

Edmonton isnt too bad for commuting in, but since its an oil city transit is terrible.

Any reason you can't go and finance a junker as soon as any kind of offer is finalized? I had to do something similar when my car got wrecked in the middle of the work week, I had another car by the beginning of the next week.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

dennyk posted:

In our weekly meeting this week our boss told those of us on going on vacation to remember to check our email at least three times a day.

If ever there was an appropriate use of "BAHAHAHA, yeah. gently caress you"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Renegret posted:

Any reason you can't go and finance a junker as soon as any kind of offer is finalized? I had to do something similar when my car got wrecked in the middle of the work week, I had another car by the beginning of the next week.

Mostly because I am on a tight budget right now and cant swing it. After a paycheque or two I will be able to do it no problem as it is at least a 50% pay increase.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

dennyk posted:

In our weekly meeting this week our boss told those of us on going on vacation to remember to check our email at least three times a day. Guess it's a shame I won't have a computer or Internet access and my phone doesn't have my work email on it... :v:

Checking email is working. So : minimum 3 hours pay each time email is checked. Overtime.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

blackswordca posted:

Mostly because I am on a tight budget right now and cant swing it. After a paycheque or two I will be able to do it no problem as it is at least a 50% pay increase.
If you get the job, you should set up a paypal account and maybe goons would, in the spirit of christmas, do the needful..
I bought a loving spaceship in a game that doesn't exist yet, and i haven't had a "gaming computer" for six+ years. I could do better things..

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So two calls came in.

Two users are unable to access their personal drives. Doing some research looks like the Sr tech moved the user folders for two active users AGAIN. Im waiting for him to get back to me on where they were moved too as I cant find them in the folders where he put them before.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you turned auditing on for those volumes yet?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Having done the long-distance transit commute for a few years now, I can attest that, while it's hardly ideal, you get used to it (and there are even advantages over driving, such as being able to gently caress around the internet, nap, etc. while commuting).

Also, as per usual, unless they actually expect you to walk barefoot over broken glass that is on fire to get to work, take it. (Barefoot over broken glass that is on fire would knock it down to a "maybe").

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Caged posted:

Have you turned auditing on for those volumes yet?

I did after the last time. Auditing has been disabled and the log just has events for this morning.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

an IM posted:

The printer in $area isn't working. there was a jam, they tried to fix it, now they have "an extra piece" lol

Welp.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

I did after the last time. Auditing has been disabled and the log just has events for this morning.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know I probably know the answer to this already, but does the person who employs him not care that he's loving up and covering his tracks?

In this situation I'd just assign him the ticket and forget about it. I had a manager who liked to gently caress about with things and cause issues and while giving him all the tickets caused by his fuckery didn't stop it happening it made me feel a lot better.

• Locked thread