Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kraps posted:

The movie didn't give me closure just more heartache :argh:

Wash :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kai Tave posted:

I skipped Dollhouse and don't feel a lot of regret over that one, and for a thing basically made on a shoestring budget by some pals goofing around Dr. Horrible is all right but I never really thought it was as great as a lot of people do.

I think Dr. Horrible's charm is in being such a small production. It's really nothing amazing or anything, it's just a fun little story that's kind of impressive in how together it is given the circumstances.

Dollhouse is crap and honestly kind of soured me on Whedon since its when I really started noticing a lot of his crutches and habits. It's also when I really soured on the Whedon fanboys for really ridiculous arguments they came up with to defend it.

I loved Firefly but are there seriously still people obsessed with it? How does that even make sense? Castle's been on forever. Adam Baldwin had a whole series begin and end since then. Gina Torres has moved on to a successful show. Summer Glau will apparently get a guest appearance in every scifi show that is ever made going forward. And Whedon has the Avengers. How are so many fans unable to move on from a tv show that they just watched?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cactus posted:

Maybe, and it's a long shot, but maybe if they'd used her in Alphas instead of Summer Glau it might not have been cancelled. I think she'd have fit that role ok - her acting wouldn't have been too much worse - and the Glau curse would have been avoided.

And then we'd still have Alphas :unsmith:

I think she was on Eureka at the time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Really, you have to think of Dr. Horrible as a small thing to enjoy it, if you can buy the blog-web show thing it's got going on you're going to have a much better time than thinking of it as a real production. Also, a little unrelated, I once was a part of a Dr. Horrible performance, it was a good time. It works quite well as a live theater thing.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

How are so many fans unable to move on from a tv show that they just watched?

Because they're convinced that if Fox hadn't messed with the airdates/episode order, it would have been a massive, massive hit.

I mean, they're wrong, Firefly was great but it would never have been a massive hit, but that's why they still cling to it - the potential they feel was lost.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Austrian mook posted:

I haven't seen any Whedon aside from those two, but Firefly is seriously loving incredible. Every single element is just magnificent, acting, visuals, music, directing. It's just a thrilling show.

I have tried to watch and enjoy Firefly so many times, trying to figure out what I'm missing, and I have failed every time. I can make it past the hilariously terrible theme song and the two-dimensional characters, but I think the attempts to make it "wild west but in space" to the point where they literally act like characters from the 1800s on distant planets is a bridge too far for me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Because they're convinced that if Fox hadn't messed with the airdates/episode order, it would have been a massive, massive hit.

I mean, they're wrong, Firefly was great but it would never have been a massive hit, but that's why they still cling to it - the potential they feel was lost.

After reading the places they were planning to take the show, it's a huge shame. Plus, there's not really a show since that really has such perfect character chemisty, that and everyone involved was really, really loving into what they were doing. It's silly, but for a Whedon fan I can see being bummed that he never really got a shot at his "mastepiece".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

STAC Goat posted:

Dollhouse is crap and honestly kind of soured me on Whedon since its when I really started noticing a lot of his crutches and habits. It's also when I really soured on the Whedon fanboys for really ridiculous arguments they came up with to defend it.

Yeah, Dollhouse is inexcusably bad in every technical and artistic regard, and it turned me off Whedon for a long time as well. Every week he'd say "no really, it wont be poo poo this episode because the evil execs have stopped holding me back" and then the episode would somehow be worse than the one before. Dollhouse S1 makes the Buffy movie look good.

But then someone will come back and start talking about how it's redeemed by that one episode that only appeared on the DVD and wasn't actually in immediate continuity with the season or some horseshit. It wasn't by the way, the Epitaph episode was merely okay.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

I loved Firefly but are there seriously still people obsessed with it?

This is the internet so yes. Come on man, do you even need to ask this question? Of course the actors have all gone on to do other stuff, including entire other multi-season shows since then, of course you can't put lightning back in the bottle, but that doesn't stop some people from fantasizing about something something Kickstarter, or an animated series, or video games, or

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

raditts posted:

hilariously terrible theme song

And here I thought we could ever be friends raditts. :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Add Whedon chat to the list of things we can't handle.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Killing a main cast member just for "drama", especially a likable one like Wash, almost never works and in the case of Serenity had the gorram opposite effect. WHEEEDONNNNNNNNN!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

the hilariously terrible theme song

Do yourself a favor and stab an icepick in each ear, you're clearly not using them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kai Tave posted:

This is the internet so yes. Come on man, do you even need to ask this question? Of course the actors have all gone on to do other stuff, including entire other multi-season shows since then, of course you can't put lightning back in the bottle, but that doesn't stop some people from fantasizing about something something Kickstarter, or an animated series, or video games, or

Honestly, I guess I just avoid the obsessive corners of the Internet so I'm sometimes surprised when I'm reminded by it. If you manage to avoid Bronies, Reddit, tumbler, and a lot of the other stuff I think you can still be surprised.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, Dollhouse is inexcusably bad in every technical and artistic regard, and it turned me off Whedon for a long time as well. Every week he'd say "no really, it wont be poo poo this episode because the evil execs have stopped holding me back" and then the episode would somehow be worse than the one before. Dollhouse S1 makes the Buffy movie look good.

But then someone will come back and start talking about how it's redeemed by that one episode that only appeared on the DVD and wasn't actually in immediate continuity with the season or some horseshit. It wasn't by the way, the Epitaph episode was merely okay.
Ah, Dollhouse excuses.

"Yeah, the first seven episodes suck but after that its just mediocre."
"The totally unconnected episodes that barely fit the story's continuity make it great by delivering a payoff to a completely different story."
"It's all Fox's fault for demanding a network show have a network schedule, or for wanting episodes that built on the basic premise."
"Well maybe if the Whedon favorite actress wasn't the lead in the Whedon show it would be better, but that's not Whedon's fault."
"It's an awesome show now that its abandoned all sense of pacing and storytelling and poo poo is just happening constantly."

Whedon's a decent writer and director but everyone throws up a brick now and then. "Brainwashed Prostitutes Taking Over The World" might just have been a bad and creepy idea. He's done enough good stuff that he can afford to own a clunker.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kraps posted:

Killing a main cast member just for "drama", especially a likable one like Wash, almost never works and in the case of Serenity had the gorram opposite effect. WHEEEDONNNNNNNNN!

It was a really bad decision and had no bearing on anything and I'm really confused as to why it was made, you already had your whole character dies thing and it worked why pointlessly try and double up?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

No, the real excuse we use is "Yes its kind of poo poo, but god loving drat Enver Gjokaj is amazing, and if they killed off loving Eliza Dushku and made him the main star this would be awesome".

Pretty much Enver Gjokaj is Tatiana Maslany, but better looking.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

It was a really bad decision and had no bearing on anything and I'm really confused as to why it was made, you already had your whole character dies thing and it worked why pointlessly try and double up?

You could make the argument that Wash died to 'up the stakes' or add 'an element of danger' to the movie's climax, whereas Shepherd's death was more about establishing who the antagonist is and why he needs to be stopped for audiences unfamiliar with the tv show. Of course, Whedon is an incompetent writer/director and anything he tried to accomplish with Wash's death was undercut by how lame the actual death scene was.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

O...kay moooving on, Dan Feinberg put his top ten list up.

Happy to see Orange is the New Black on there, Rectify, and Les Revenants. I really need to get around to finishing Top of The Lake. "Don't buy into the hype that Mad Men is declining" - I'm not mate, I watched it and saw for myself, right in front of me, that it isn't quite as good as previous seasons. And of course there's no need to say what came top, and no-one in possession of correct opinions will disagree, I'm just glad he didn't go down the route of being contrary just for clicks'n'giggles.

I've never loving heard of Bob's Burgers or whatever was at number 9 on the list, so I'll take his word for it. Hannibal, Justified, Shameless and Orphan Black are glaring omissions, but he said he's planning another list so I reckon they'll be on that one, and anyway subjective opinion lists are stupid but w/e.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob's Burgers is the bomb son.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:sigh: another one to add to the backlog.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Do yourself a favor and stab an icepick in each ear, you're clearly not using them.

Sure I am, I'm just using them to listen to music that is not terrible. :smugbert:
But seriously, if people actually enjoy that theme song then I'm probably never going to understand the appeal of Firefly. Next I'll find out there are staunch defenders of the theme song for The Mindy Project.

zoux posted:

Bob's Burgers is the bomb son.

I think I'd like Bob's Burgers if I ever watched it regularly, but I've never had any particular desire to actively seek it out. Probably due to the fact that I haven't given a poo poo about Fox's Sunday night block or Adult Swim outside of Venture Bros. or Black Dynamite in years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should. Rick and Morty is really good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hey, speaking of Bob's Burgers (...sort of), does anyone know when Archer season 4 is going to be added to Netflix? I binge watched seasons 1-3, and I'm dying for season 4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob's Burgers is the proper heir to the Simpsons in terms of utterly fantastic animated show for adults (pre-the-Simpsons-being-Real-Bad)

It's also on streaming so get on that poo poo yall.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

raditts posted:

I have tried to watch and enjoy Firefly so many times, trying to figure out what I'm missing, and I have failed every time. I can make it past the hilariously terrible theme song and the two-dimensional characters, but I think the attempts to make it "wild west but in space" to the point where they literally act like characters from the 1800s on distant planets is a bridge too far for me.

That's the charm people love about it.

Personally, I did like the characters and the anachronistic setting had its appeal.

It did seem like it was going to lose a lot of steam, and while the space hooker was hot, I never really felt that her situation made sense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I was crushing on Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker at the time and I couldn't even finish the first season. It was inexcusably bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doctor Butts posted:

That's the charm people love about it.

Personally, I did like the characters and the anachronistic setting had its appeal.

It did seem like it was going to lose a lot of steam, and while the space hooker was hot, I never really felt that her situation made sense.

I think she makes sense if you accept that she (A) secretly hates the system as much as Mal so keeps it at arms length by staying on Serenity and (B) secretly loves Mal but hates that he doesn't have his poo poo together so keeps him at arms reach by staying connected to the system he hates.

But yeah, the entire appeal to the show is the characters' chemistry and the wacky concept of space colonization and political corruption forcing people to live like the Old West. It's completely reasonable for you not to buy into it but if you don't then you might as well just turn back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Sure I am, I'm just using them to listen to music that is not terrible. :smugbert:
But seriously, if people actually enjoy that theme song then I'm probably never going to understand the appeal of Firefly. Next I'll find out there are staunch defenders of the theme song for The Mindy Project.

It's no Psych theme, but I like the Firefly theme song a lot. What's so terrible about it?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I'm one of those people who enjoyed Dollhouse as a whole unit though the early episodes were crap (I couldn't watch it as it aired) and Dushku was never the right lead. I even watched the whole thing again just because I liked it so much. I guess that means I'm going to be first against the wall in the TVIV revolution.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sophia posted:

I'm one of those people who enjoyed Dollhouse as a whole unit though the early episodes were crap (I couldn't watch it as it aired) and Dushku was never the right lead. I even watched the whole thing again just because I liked it so much. I guess that means I'm going to be first against the wall in the TVIV revolution.

People here are so evenly divided in their TV opinions that EVERYBODY'S going to be the first against the wall. That's why we're not revolutionaries.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sophia posted:

Nah, not even close to first. There have been far greater crimes committed by TVIV posters than "liking Dollhouse."

DivisionPost posted:

People here are so evenly divided in their TV opinions that EVERYBODY'S going to be the first against the wall. That's why we're not revolutionaries.

This too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

It's no Psych theme, but I like the Firefly theme song a lot. What's so terrible about it?

You guys are loving with me about the Psych theme song aren't you?

Sophia posted:

You've been headed to the wall for awhile now, pile on your TV sins, you are well past redemption.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Nah, not even close to first. There have been far greater crimes committed by TVIV posters than "liking Dollhouse."

Hell, Azure_Horizon was a regular here, so we've already got "Rape" on the list.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Psych theme song owns so hard that the only thing that owns harder are the tons of remixed versions that they do. Suck on that zoux!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First against the wall was alright, but they started phoning it in by the second.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

I feel that there is a horrible "The Office"-style television show about a bunch of incompetent internet posters going through the daily grind of trying to get upvoted on Reddit and failing. I think this could air on the Onion network.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Hell, Azure_Horizon was a regular here, so we've already got "Rape" on the list.

Haha and he's not even the worst person we've had around here.

It's you :catstare:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sophia posted:

I feel that there is a horrible "The Office"-style television show about a bunch of incompetent internet posters going through the daily grind of trying to get upvoted on Reddit and failing. I think this could air on the Onion network.

I'd watch the something awful sitcom. Hell, I'd probably be in it! :v:

E: Heh, FYAD amirite? (laughtrack)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Haha and he's not even the worst person we've had around here.

It's you :catstare:

No, it's Aatrek. Azure_Horizon may have raped his drunken straight friends, but at least the drunken straight friends he raped weren't little preteen girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thank you for explaining the joke for me. Somehow the seminal watershed moment in TVIV history had escaped me, the guy who does nothing but post in the TVIV chat thread all day.

• Locked thread