Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wa27 posted:

If you read, he actually spent $8,000 of the $10,000 he apparently netted after fees and backers pulling out just buying the vent hood. The money now is just to install it.

Last I heard he had found a used vent hood for a lot cheaper. 8k seems ridiculous, but I'm not in the vent hood business and I haven't kept up on the project since it was funded.

I'm looking at Hoodmart, who are in the vent hood business and a good-sized exhaust-only vent hood between 7 to 10 feet costs about $2000, give or take a hundred or so depending on the lenght. A 4-footer costs about $1300 and I'd imagine, given Doobie's preferred location, probably the right size for that. A fire-suppression system will add another $2500. but that's if he needs it or not.

Now, vent hood installation does get kinda expensive. The quotes I'm looking at suggest $500 to $1000 per linear foot. So a 4-foot hood is going to cost an additional $2000 to $4000 dollars.

So, right now, a 4-foot hood will cost $1300, installing it another $2000 to $4000 dollars, and a fire-suppression system another $2500. We're looking at between 6k to 8k for total cost of purchase and installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

monster on a stick posted:

Also you won't have to pay $50 since it's not going to get funded.

($3,200 for a vent hood?)

According to some other posters in the thread, vent hood purchase and installation is an enormous cost that is often the reason that people trying to start restaurants fail before they get off the ground - many people without previous restaurant starting experience have no idea that it's so expensive, and construct a business plan that doesn't even include buying one, let alone installation.

The goon who talked about that actually brought it up BEFORE Doobie had a problem with it. It was like prophecy.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

According to some other posters in the thread, vent hood purchase and installation is an enormous cost that is often the reason that people trying to start restaurants fail before they get off the ground - many people without previous restaurant starting experience have no idea that it's so expensive, and construct a business plan that doesn't even include buying one, let alone installation.

The goon who talked about that actually brought it up BEFORE Doobie had a problem with it. It was like prophecy.

An indigo prophecy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Good lord...

That is his chili cheese dog. It looks like someone sprayed explosive diarrhea over a hot dog and I'm pretty that's spray can cheese.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^^ he already said that it was his dinner one night and that the hot dogs he served wouldn't necessarily look like that.

theflyingorc posted:

There was also a goon who said "yeah I talked to him offline and he had a solid business plan :words: we should totally fund this" and we see how that turned out.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

^^^ he already said that it was his dinner one night and that the hot dogs he served wouldn't necessarily look like that.

There was also a goon who said "yeah I talked to him offline and he had a solid business plan :words: we should totally fund this" and we see how that turned out.

your business plan looking good to a guy whose qualification is giving lots of money to random internet rednecks for forums coolpoints is a pretty spectacular warning of impending doom yes

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Indigo Prophecy didn't really mean anything but it worked pretty well as a name. Fahrenheit doesn't tell you poo poo though. Heavy rain, is so-so. Its not bad, and it implies some heavy drama is coming, but it doesn't sound all that cool.

Indigo Prophecy was a reference to the concept of 'Indigo children,' even if the plot didn't really work off of that. Fahrenheit, in my opinion, worked with the atmosphere of the game (contrasting hot and cold, yada yada) but it still wasn't very good. I liked it because the (hardware constrained obviously) textures and modelling made the game feel 'cold' to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chomp8645 posted:

Good lord...

That is his chili cheese dog. It looks like someone sprayed explosive diarrhea over a hot dog and I'm pretty that's spray can cheese.

That's mustard.

Edit: I still think people are overreacting to that picture hot dogs look gross even when handled by a professional food photographer. Doesn't look great but it's a hot dog

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Dec 13, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Besides, the actual hot dogs he sells shoot laser beams and are surrounded by the blood of their enemies. :black101:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Besides, the actual hot dogs he sells shoot laser beams and are surrounded by the blood of their enemies. :black101:

It's funny, those hot dogs look way better than the old picture, but then he made it tiny and mspainted all over it. It's like he scanned it from a cookbook and needed to disguise it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

dijon du jour posted:

THOSE ARE RAYS OF SUNLIGHT YOU HEATHEN gently caress

or piss. probably piss

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

So for a $25 pledge you can walk in, mention Kickstarter, and get a free meal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jett posted:

The very idea that Doobie isn't keeping careful and scrupulous records of legit Team Frogout members for his shack is hurtful.

He's probably not going to understand when this KS fails that you don't get a second shot when you squander the first miracle that lead to an outpouring of Internet Stranger Goodwill.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jett posted:

So for a $25 pledge you can walk in, mention Kickstarter, and get food poisoning

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In pissy Kickstarter gaming non-news: Mighty No. 9 hired a woman to act as an online community manager and now the fat manbaby MRA tears are flowing like waterfalls because having her moderate their forums means that the jumpy shooty robot game is now going to be about strong womyn using grrrl power to expand the reach of the shevil fempire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSfUJBCj0

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I love all of the "not sexist" reasons they come up with for being angry about her. Like "she only got in because of her boyfriend bloo bloo" and "she doesn't know anything about Megaman!"

1. "Connections" have been a thing going on in business for literally thousands of years in every single part of the civilized world. They're angry because it's a woman this time and not a man, and this woman has strong opinions.

2. It's a "spiritual successor," as in NOT A SEQUEL. If they want to play the same old rehashed Megaman stuff they can play romhacks. Game companies bring in new artists and creative directors (neither of which is what she is, iirc) all the time even when they haven't played the games in the series.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

that goon was a moderator

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In pissy Kickstarter gaming non-news: Mighty No. 9 hired a woman to act as an online community manager and now the fat manbaby MRA tears are flowing like waterfalls because having her moderate their forums means that the jumpy shooty robot game is now going to be about strong womyn using grrrl power to expand the reach of the shevil fempire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSfUJBCj0

I unironically want to play the game that they're so afraid of.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Pomp posted:

I unironically want to play the game that they're so afraid of.

Woman touched it, it's garbage.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Stop trying to shove your femanazi agenda into my safe videogames hugbox.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those MRA-types really started squealing when they realized that they are being forced to pay the salary of a vocal feminist. :mmmhmm:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here is what Kenji Inafune has to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_S39kSCDI

Quick, somebody make a 'Photoshop dicks into games' thread. It's perfect for GBS 2.1!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
"It is the second book of my series it is compltet just want an editer and published."

E: Jesus Christ the video's creepy! :stonk:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

DStecks posted:

Here's some games from the bottom of Steam's Metacritic sort function, illustrating the magic of colons:

Global Ops: Commando Libya

I did not know this game existed, and I am now so mad they've tarnished the good name of Commando Libya.

(god I played some terrible rear end games as a kid)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

"I am a first time writing looking to start off. I am a 25 year old male in USA Maryland. I live with my single mom. I was born in eastern Europe. I have a writing disability and I am going to overcome it with this" (Formatting all original)

Now I'm sad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

THOSE ARE RAYS OF SUNLIGHT YOU HEATHEN gently caress

or piss. probably piss

R Kelly Dogs.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Not sure if this has been posted, and it's not a kickstarter per-say but it's still a stupid idea:

Shotgun shells filled with "flower seeds". The idea being that you use a gun to spread life instead of death. Ignoring the fact that the heat and force of firing the shell would ensure that few, if any, seeds survive the journey to the ground. Also firing it at point black at the ground would just mean there are far too many seeds too close to to allow for correct growth. And if you hit any rocks on the way down it'll destroy the seed as well. And you'll probably end up with the seeds too deep in the soil to grow. And many other problems.

Their "test videos" are also just some guy shooting a shotgun into the ground. I can't find any proof on their promotional material that they managed to ensure the seeds would actually grow.

Crain has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Dec 16, 2013

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Also is like ricochet an issue when you're firing a gun at the ground? Like what if the ground is frozen or particularly dense? Could the seeds conceivably bounce and hit the shooter?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rosalind posted:

Could the seeds conceivably bounce and hit the shooter?

That would probably be for the best.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rosalind posted:

Also is like ricochet an issue when you're firing a gun at the ground? Like what if the ground is frozen or particularly dense? Could the seeds conceivably bounce and hit the shooter?

With such a soft (or relatively soft) projectile it's more likely that the seeds would just shatter instead of ricochet. Although fragmentation of larger seeds could still cause some problems.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All this :spergin: is basically the TFR equivalent of "my five year-old could paint that!" levels not getting art.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

What the hell happened here

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All this :spergin: is basically the TFR equivalent of "my five year-old could paint that!" levels not getting art.

Yeah, I guess you can read it as a pretty good critique of impotent 'symbolic' green activism as the shells do entirely fail to perform their only practical function.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Max22 posted:

goons happened, also mods

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Max22 posted:

You may have missed the fun the first go around, but you can always donate to his second KS mentioned several posts back.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, I guess you can read it as a pretty good critique of impotent 'symbolic' green activism as the shells do entirely fail to perform their only practical function.

What if that's intentional and this whole project is a fantastic condemnation of the environmental movement?

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Chomp8645 posted:

Good lord...

At least we have a clue for who contributed with all his video game earnings:

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What if that's intentional and this whole project is a fantastic condemnation of the environmental movement?

Or it's literally weapons dev for ecoterrorists. Each shell comes with daisy seeds so that each lumberjack kill is literally and symbolically the reintegration of humanity into the environment.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Guerilla gardening gone militant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max22 posted:

Click Here, then click on Noni's name to start the thrillride.