Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Decided to buy a bottle of Kraken rum since I see it pop up so much in the bachelor threads. I hope this stuff is as delicious as you all make it out to be.

Mix with gosling's ginger beer and drop in a lime wedge (or whatever, I'm too lazy to cut up a lime most of the time) for a delicious dark and stormy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Calamari creams: 3 Oz. Kraken, fill to top with cream soda. Tastes like candy.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Mix with gosling's ginger beer and drop in a lime wedge (or whatever, I'm too lazy to cut up a lime most of the time) for a delicious dark and stormy.

I've never actually seen ginger beer in any bar or store. I'm beginning to think it's all a ruse to make me think I'm not booze-smart enough. Like a "no soap, radio" of alcohol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ginger beer is a soft drink though?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Cakefool posted:

Ginger beer is a soft drink though?

If "ginger beer" has been the same thing as "ginger ale" all this time...

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Captain Trips posted:

Slightly different, but the same general idea.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Trips posted:

I've never actually seen ginger beer in any bar or store. I'm beginning to think it's all a ruse to make me think I'm not booze-smart enough. Like a "no soap, radio" of alcohol.

It's usually with the soda or organic, upscale food.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Also sometimes you can find it in the mixers section of larger liquor stores.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Check the rum section as well. My local store sells Gosling's Black Seal rum in a box that also includes a liter of ginger beer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fizbin posted:

Slightly different, but the same general idea.

This, and the fact of the matter is both are absolutely magical.

My proudest parenting moment recently was my 2.75 year old daughter drinking Vernors for the first time, then immediately asking for more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Trips posted:

It really is.

Try it with pineapple juice.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I love Kraken so I'm going to have to try these. I'm not big on pineapple but I dig cream soda.

I however drink like a college student. I just pour Kraken right into a can of Monster Rehab (orange is my preferred flavor but lemonade will work too) and then continue to top it off with more Kraken.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

My slightly autistic (re: really loving picky and texture sensitive in a way I haven't seen other than in those with autism) roommate is out of town for two weeks. I'm cleaning the place up, decorating for Christmas, and shower beering. I would've started earlier, but I have to be at the clinic at 6am. 3 day weekends during training? Shower beer errday. Oh, and you can't forget cooking my favorite foods that she bitches about. Glorious, whine-free (but not wine-free) two weeks.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
For anyone that can still find it Captain Morgan sherry oak finish makes the most delicious rum and cokes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Captain Trips posted:

It really is.

Try it with pineapple juice.

What proportions?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I just finished a semester of grad school. Breakfast consisted of a pile of bacon and a full coffee mug of espresso. I have some bottles of wine from a trip to Napa that are going to be amazing tonight. So far all I've done today is shower and watch Dexter on Netflix and considering making a booty call.

God bless student loans, god bless unemployment checks, god bless roommates out of town for the holidays.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Cakefool posted:

What proportions?

I never nailed down a perfect ratio, but black rum mixes well. Try anything between 1-1 and 1-2 rum-pineapple

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Fill what to the top? :spergin:

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Sounds like a forest fire shot. Get a shot of gin and add some Tabasco. Tastes like a forest on fire.

This sounds like a much tastier Texas Prarie Fire. 1 1/4 oz well tequila, 1/4 oz Tabasco. Kind of a 21st birthday right of passage around here. For bonus points, heat the tequila up first.

Tastes like hate.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hayden posted:

This sounds like a much tastier Texas Prarie Fire. 1 1/4 oz well tequila, 1/4 oz Tabasco. Kind of a 21st birthday right of passage around here. For bonus points, heat the tequila up first.

Tastes like hate.

I got to help celebrate a friend's 19th birthday (I'm 28). Since everyone else we're friends with tends to be on the self-depriving level of gym-rattery, it was myself and the birthday boy drinking.

We started with prairie fires.

Then moved to jaeger bombs.

Then to ghostbusters.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hayden posted:

Tastes like hate.

No it's really not. It's always well gin. You know, the stuff that's good only for an OK gin n tonic.

Damnit now I miss my old college bar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just emailed Newmans Own to humbly request that they make all salsa jars with wide enough necks that one can reach the bottom with chips without getting messy hands.

They donate all their profits to charity, I know where I am buying all my salsa from in the future.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kastein posted:

I just emailed Newmans Own to humbly request that they make all salsa jars with wide enough necks that one can reach the bottom with chips without getting messy hands.

They donate all their profits to charity, I know where I am buying all my salsa from in the future.

That's a good idea...why don't dip manufacturers make wide jars that tesselate? I'm thinking wider on the top than the bottom.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Call me Lance loving Armstrong because I did two rounds on the Tour du Franzia this weekend. Who knew their Moscato was 9.0abv? Jesus Christ does it give hangovers though.

Now to celebrate I'm drinking Evan Williams. Just from the bottle. I haven't actually touched a glass in a week, they just sit on my dish drying rack like little decorative things. They're already clean, why get them dirty?

Best part of the weekend: going over to a friend's house who also bakes. Usually i get the itch and people say "oh sorry I don't have any baking stuff at the moment" but she whipped out her vacuum sealed jars of flour/sugar and showed me a cookie recipe her grandma gave her :getin:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's a good idea...why don't dip manufacturers make wide jars that tesselate? I'm thinking wider on the top than the bottom.

It'd be a bitch to ship and stock the shelves with.

There are these things called bowls. Is it not common to always put your salsa in a bowl?

I know you're all gross fuckwits who don't wash dishes, but seriously, wash a drat bowl and use that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Captain Trips posted:

Relax, it's not.
Ginger ale is a soda/soft drink, with ginger flavouring.
Ginger beer is usually real fermented ginger, can be alcoholic or non alcoholic.
And BTW, ginger wine is awesome.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Relax, it's not.
Ginger ale is a soda/soft drink, with ginger flavouring.
Ginger beer is usually real fermented ginger, can be alcoholic or non alcoholic.
And BTW, ginger wine is awesome.

It also is usually a much stronger ginger flavor, which makes it also pair well with Jameson. The strong flavor means you start mixing your drinks stronger without realizing and, well, :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Apprentice Dick posted:

It also is usually a much stronger ginger flavor, which makes it also pair well with Jameson. The strong flavor means you start mixing your drinks stronger without realizing and, well, :getin:

Last winter I made what was basically a Dark and Stormy, but I replaced the rum with bourbon (usually Evan Williams) and the lime with lemon. poo poo was awesome on a snowy day.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

DrBouvenstein posted:

It'd be a bitch to ship and stock the shelves with.

There are these things called bowls. Is it not common to always put your salsa in a bowl?

I know you're all gross fuckwits who don't wash dishes, but seriously, wash a drat bowl and use that.

I'm not seeing the problem? It's like having a billion books and have them lying down instead of standing up? If anything, it'll be easier to ship because they're less likely to fall over.

I'm thinking this shape, by the way:

But with a proper top that can be reattached, it was just the first thing I could think of that's shaped right

Unless you were remarking, specifically, on the bit about wider top than bottom in which case I agree.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
There really isn't much of a "taper" to salsa jars as it is. If you can't get your greasy chip-demolishing hand into this:

You've got bigger issues.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Trips posted:

There really isn't much of a "taper" to salsa jars as it is. If you can't get your greasy chip-demolishing hand into this:

I'm average height and weight. Maybe your little Japanese boy band hands can fit in that thing, but mine can't, without getting salsa all over my knuckles.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captain Trips posted:

Like the fact that you're eating lovely Tostitos salsa.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Captain Trips posted:

If you can't get your greasy chip-demolishing hand into this

Your hands are the size of golf balls. That's a 16oz jar, the opening is the size of a soda can.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just take a drink of salsa from the jar then eat a tortilla chip. Both problems solved.

I was recently reading about coffee and read that cowboys on the trail made coffee by just putting grounds into a pot of boiling water and waiting for the grounds to settle. I tried it in a sauce pan and it works. Boil water, stir in grounds, wait 5 minutes, pour off liquid into mug. Perfectly clear coffee with way easier cleanup.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Dec 17, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've solved the problem by never eating salsa because it's useless.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was recently reading about coffee and read that cowboys on the trail made coffee by just putting grounds into a pot of boiling water and waiting for the grounds to settle. I tried it in a sauce pan and it works. Boil water, stir in grounds, wait 5 minutes, pour off liquid into mug. Perfectly clear coffee with way easier cleanup.

Years ago, someone explained 'an old cowboy trick' to me:

Out in the desert, cowboys would make and drink hot coffee, but the hotness of the coffee would somehow cool them off, because it would raise their temperature, and stop them from sweating, or ... something.

How would that work?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Red posted:

Out in the desert, cowboys would make and drink hot coffee, but the hotness of the coffee would somehow cool them off, because it would raise their temperature, and stop them from sweating, or ... something.

How would that work?

When you drink caffinated drinks your body thetans get all riled up and they steal your body heat for their energy so you cool down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red posted:

How would that work?

It doesn't stop them from sweating, it would make them sweat more, which then cools you off more.

But really, it has a tiny overall effect. I'd much rather drink something cold because I get a nice, immediate relief of "holy gently caress thank God, cold water!"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Red posted:

How would that work?
Hot coffee on a hot day will make you sweat more if anything. Which is cooling, in the right circumstances-- the slight raise in body temperature from the drink is exceeded by the cooling effect of the sweat. Caffeine doesn't really factor into it, so it works with herbal teas as well.

Spicy food can also help make you sweat. There's a reason why hot climates have popular spicy foods and hot drinks.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Knowledge is knowing that hot drinks have a cooling effect. Wisdom is realising cold drinks are way loving better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kenny Logins posted:

Hot coffee on a hot day will make you sweat more if anything. Which is cooling, in the right circumstances-- the slight raise in body temperature from the drink is exceeded by the cooling effect of the sweat. Caffeine doesn't really factor into it, so it works with herbal teas as well.

Spicy food can also help make you sweat. There's a reason why hot climates have popular spicy foods and hot drinks.

That's what I wondered, but some will claim it's entirely bullshit: http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/whimsy/a/teamyth.htm

• Locked thread