Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Best and worst drivers by state.

The lighter colored the state, the better the drivers. Vermont has the best, Louisiana has the worst.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524438/Hell-wheels-The-state-Americas-worst-drivers-revealed.html

It's interesting, because living in the northeast (VT :smug:), I hear most often is that MA drivers (Massholes) and NJ drivers are the worst, yet that's not even remotely true.

I suspect that the instances of DUI's are what drive lot of states up.
There's no way that map is right, Nebraska has horrible drivers, especially if you need to make a left off of a busy street onto a side street without a light. You'll be stuck waiting for an opening in oncoming traffic, while the traffic in your own lane waits until the very last second to go around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walking
Nov 27, 2013
I don't know if I'd trust the Daily Mail for the truth on anything.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

There's no way that map is right, Nebraska has horrible drivers, especially if you need to make a left off of a busy street onto a side street without a light. You'll be stuck waiting for an opening in oncoming traffic, while the traffic in your own lane waits until the very last second to go around you.

I don't understand. That might be annoying for the people waiting behind the driver who's hesitating to pass the turner, but sounds completely par for the course for the person turning left. Are you saying drivers are bad because they don't stop to let you in? Are there even places where that happens?

Personally I'm surprised RI isn't on the list. I'm pretty sure it's optional to obey street signs and traffic lights in Providence. And I'm saying this as someone from MA.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
New York has the only competent drivers in the entire nation. We do crazy poo poo because we can pull it off :colbert:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

SWITCH HITLER posted:

New York has the only competent drivers in the entire nation. We do crazy poo poo because we can pull it off :colbert:

Nobody even owns a car in New York. Myth busted.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't understand. That might be annoying for the people waiting behind the driver who's hesitating to pass the turner, but sounds completely par for the course for the person turning left. Are you saying drivers are bad because they don't stop to let you in? Are there even places where that happens?

Personally I'm surprised RI isn't on the list. I'm pretty sure it's optional to obey street signs and traffic lights in Providence. And I'm saying this as someone from MA.
No, I'm saying the drivers in your own lane are bad because they wait until the last possible second to go around you, when they can see that you're stopped with your turn signal on.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I had someone make a right turn in front of me from the left lane while I was headed straight a week after I saw a different car make that move in front of a bus so I don't know how California isn't the worst.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

No, I'm saying the drivers in your own lane are bad because they wait until the last possible second to go around you, when they can see that you're stopped with your turn signal on.

Okay nevermind then, that does sound horrible! I hope I never have to drive in Nebraska!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Narrator posted:

Content: Potential nuclear targets in the United States (Source: Natural Resources Defense Council, FEMA and Medicine and Global Survival(?)

As someone who's not American, can someone clarify what the 2000-warhead targets in North Dakota, Montana and around Cheyenne are? US missile silos? And then I suppose the other black dots are generally just major cities, military placements and the like?

Black dots are also power plants (such as the black dots in SW Indiana). All three of them are major power plants, including the largest coal plant in the western hemisphere.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Action-Man posted:

The correct answer is DC. DC has the worst drivers. Since moving here, I've seen poo poo that'll turn you white.

Isn't this just populationdensity.jpg?

My car gets hit on a regular occasion in Chicago from people desperately trying to parallel park their 12 foot long car in a 12.1 foot gap. When I drive to visit friends in Iowa I'd have to go out of my way to hit someone.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Narrator posted:

No Waterman butterfly projection :qq:

Content: Potential nuclear targets in the United States (Source: Natural Resources Defense Council, FEMA and Medicine and Global Survival(?)

The key is small, so:
Black dot: Target in a 2000 warhead scenario
Purple triangle: Target in a 600 warhead scenario
Red asterisk: State capital
Red square: City

As someone who's not American, can someone clarify what the 2000-warhead targets in North Dakota, Montana and around Cheyenne are? US missile silos? And then I suppose the other black dots are generally just major cities, military placements and the like?

Why are so many getting dropped on Tampa in a more limited scenario? Wouldn't the extras be better served trying to pop the silos, assuming a successful first strike? Or is it more like in a 600 they knew that they wouldnt be able to prevent a retaliation so the aim is to cause us much damage to important population/economic/infrastructure hubs that we would only have the one shot at retaliation?

Disco Infiva posted:

Why aren't there a million nukes in Nevada? We don't want to anger the aliens, isn't it :ohdear:

Because we've already done that job for them.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 17, 2013

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

Isn't this just populationdensity.jpg?

My car gets hit on a regular occasion in Chicago from people desperately trying to parallel park their 12 foot long car in a 12.1 foot gap. When I drive to visit friends in Iowa I'd have to go out of my way to hit someone.

I was thinking this as well, but then there's Alaska and New Mexico.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I had someone make a right turn in front of me from the left lane while I was headed straight a week after I saw a different car make that move in front of a bus so I don't know how California isn't the worst.
I saw this exact thing. Only I'd just got off the bus and was in the street they were turning into. Two feet from being over/under that car. I'm fairly sure I pissed myself a bit.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mu Cow posted:

I was thinking this as well, but then there's Alaska and New Mexico.

Those are easy: drunk driving is the official state pastime of New Mexico.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Those are easy: drunk driving is the official state pastime of New Mexico.

Apparently not, at least they make it a long distance before they crash.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frostwerks posted:

Why are so many getting dropped on Tampa in a more limited scenario? Wouldn't the extras be better served trying to pop the silos, assuming a successful first strike? Or is it more like in a 600 they knew that they wouldnt be able to prevent a retaliation so the aim is to cause us much damage to important population/economic/infrastructure hubs that we would only have the one shot at retaliation?
I thought the limited scenario was the Russians launching a retaliatory strike with what they have left, in which case targeting silos wouldn't make that much sense, since the contents are already in Russia.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Narrator posted:

It'd be cool to see a fallout estimation. My area is unhit but is surrounded by probably like fifty strikes so I'm guessing radiation would gently caress us up.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

There's a map that gets thrown around a fair bit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Tampa is targeted most likely because MacDill Air force Base is home to both Central Command and Special Operations Command.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oregon is FINE

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought the limited scenario was the Russians launching a retaliatory strike with what they have left, in which case targeting silos wouldn't make that much sense, since the contents are already in Russia.

Ahh, that makes a ton of sense. In which case yeah, may as well target major population centers and economic infrastructure.

Mustang posted:

Tampa is targeted most likely because MacDill Air force Base is home to both Central Command and Special Operations Command.

NW Florida are they mostly targeting the military bases, population centers or Interstate/Rail infrastructure?

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 17, 2013

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baronjutter posted:

Oregon is FINE

Except for the fact that every dam on the columbia river is now rubble.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DerLeo posted:

There's a map that gets thrown around a fair bit.

Houston was utterly destroyed in the first map and is untouched in this one? It's gotta be a little old.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Armacham posted:

Except for the fact that every dam on the columbia river is now rubble.

They're just looking out for the fish.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Dusseldorf posted:

What are you going to hit? A cactus or something?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Narrator posted:

The key is small, so:

I'm pretty sure the black dot in northern lower Michigan is Camp Grayling but what is the northernmost black dot on the west coast? The only thing I can think of is the Coast Guard base in Ludington but I'd think that would be a waste of time.

I guess in the post-nuclear wasteland of the Upper Midwest the irradiated remnants of the Yooper Republic would be the regional power since they don't seem worth nuking after Kincheloe AFB and KI Sawyer AFB got closed down.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

computer parts posted:

They're just looking out for the fish.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

Houston was utterly destroyed in the first map and is untouched in this one? It's gotta be a little old.

The fallout map is a late 80s FEMA one which depicts a Soviet first strike on military targets IIRC.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dusseldorf posted:

Have you ever seen how desolate New Mexico is? :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Numerical Anxiety posted:

What's the spot on the Canadian border with Idaho?

There's a big dam just over the border in Estevan, Saskatchewan. That's the only thing I can think of.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 18, 2013

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's a big dam just over the border in Estevan, Saskatchewan. That's the only thing I can think of.
Saskatchewan doesn't border Idaho. You're thinking of North Dakota that's just south of Estevan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lonelywurm posted:

Saskatchewan doesn't border Idaho. You're thinking of North Dakota that's just south of Estevan.

Oh loving Google Maps.

Looking at the real Idaho-Canada border, the only things that could possibly be targeted are high-voltage power lines and a road and rail border crossing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh loving Google Maps.

Looking at the real Idaho-Canada border, the only things that could possibly be targeted are high-voltage power lines and a road and rail border crossing.

Yes, but all that stuff is on the eastern end of the Idaho-British Columbia border, and the target "dot" is on the west side, where as you mentioned there's pretty much nothing there but forest. There's not really any signs of human development in the area either, apart from a hiking trail or two and the aforementioned (but not important) power lines.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Sucks to be a fish in either the South or East China Seas. Are there any left?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Frostwerks posted:

NW Florida are they mostly targeting the military bases, population centers or Interstate/Rail infrastructure?

Bases/ Shipbuilding yards. That's why the strikes on the MS gulf coast center on Pascagoula instead of the more populated Gulfport/ Biloxi.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I found this interactive demographic map of the US (income, household size, head of household race & head of household age) to be pretty interesting. One thing I noticed is that they didn't split out Hispanic, and included them in the White category.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

The Narrator posted:

The key is small, so:

I like how even Fresno is considered a serious target for a nuke with both 2000 and 6000 warheads. :ca:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gen. Ripper posted:

I like how even Fresno is considered a serious target for a nuke with both 2000 and 6000 warheads. :ca:

I'll have you know that in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG, Fresno was pretty important after the apocalypse, so Russia was maybe onto something:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Now, South Africa I know why, ANC, Mandela etc.

But the band in Mittelafrika??

It's not all ex-French colonies, but it does look link most of them (AOF+AEF). What the heck is going on here?

Doesn't seem to be a religious thing. Mali/Sénégal VS Congo/Zambia.