Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

duck monster posted:

Um. I'm not.

And what "5 data sets"? So far the data is somewhat unambiguous , climate change is happening, in some places quite dramatically. There isn't a debate about this except in crazy person circles. Are you a crazy person, Arkane?

You expressed doubt that the "hiatus" is happening.

The 5 climate data sets all show a hiatus lasting from 2001 (or 1998). These are the Met Office/Hadley Centre (ground), NASA's Goddard Insitute (ground), NOAA's National Climatic Data Center (ground), Remote Sensing Systems (satellite), and finally the University of Alabama at Huntsville (satellite). The 13-year trend in global temperature is ~0 degrees C.

Through the end of October 2013, it was actually a 1/100th of a degree decline on a decadal over that time period: http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/CotwinAndWay_2001.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
rivetz, main problem I have with the 97% number is that there's a double-talk element to it. When people question the severity of changes by 2100, the 97% number is thrown out as if you are disagreeing with the scientific community by not believing large/even cataclysmic change is coming. But the 97% number is a backwards-looking number that encompasses all of those that think that the climate has gotten warmer over the instrumental record and humanity contributed to it (I'd obviously be part of that 97% if I were a publishing scientist in the field).

I'd say hanging out at the Daily Caller comment section is a pointless activity. If you want to read the blogs that I read to get the other side of the argument, those would be Climate Audit, the Blackboard, Roger Pielke Jr.'s blog, and occasionally Judith Curry's blog. I also check sea ice on Watt's page (southern hemisphere sea ice has seen incredible growth this year...global sea ice in 2013 peaked at the highest level since 1994)...the first week of the month Dr. Roy Spencer publishes the previous month's climate data...quarterly, the University of Colorado publishes the latest update on global sea levels on their website. Andrew Revkin at the NYT is a good read with Dot Earth/good follow on Twitter. Very good reporter in my estimation who questions quite a lot and takes a middle of the road approach. Conversely, Justin Gillis at the NYT is a sycophant but I think I've said that before. If you wanted to get a slice of the other side (a side that is actually investigating rather than prosthelytizing), those would be the places to go.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 16, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Arkane posted:

There is decreased surface temperature warming over a 15 year period. That does not fit the definition of hiatus the way you want it to, because the absorption of heat does not stop because of natural variability. Could you please use the right words instead of the latest Watts Up With That spin?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

Ahh yes, the "hiatus"

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You already pasted that graph to me, and I probably pointed out that it was multiple years out of date so it hides the true length of the pause.

And the reason that the hiatus is stressed is because the models forecast(ed) EXPONENTIAL GROWTH in temperature. As I am sure you are keenly aware, it was predicted, POUNDED INTO OUR HEADS, that the temperature is going to be skyrocketing.

Clicky on this, por favor: http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ModelsObsComparison_2020.png

Doesn't take coding in R to see that the climate models are biased warm based on our observations to date. You only need an eyeball or two.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 16, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

You already pasted that graph to me, and I probably pointed out that it was multiple years out of date so it hides the true length of the pause.

Do you realize the timescales that Earth's climate system operates on and how surface temperatures staying relatively the same for 12 years might not be relevant to the big picture?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's such a dangerous argument man. The fact that we cannot forecast the global temperature with any degree of precision over a 10 year period indicates that we know less than we thought we did about natural influences or that our models are wrong.

But ceding the point to you...13 years isn't enough. Let's fast forward this thread 24 months to December of 2015 making it a 15 year (Jan 2001-Dec 2015) trend. Extend that observations/models line out another couple of years. Maybe increase the temp 1/20th of a degree if it suits your fancy. We're now below every single modeled run of every single climate model in the IPCC AR5 report. We're also now well outside the 95% confidence intervals that would signal model rejection in every other field that purports to undertake statistical analysis. Is the tenor of this thread still going to be that the Earth is careening toward disaster? I am guessing mostly yes, although it will probably be dialed back due to media coverage of the pause. Now imagine its December of 2018 and the pause is still happening, still not convinced? At this point the field would probably in an uproar. December 2020?

Here's what I driving towards...at what point in this clear DIVERGENCE of climate models and observations will you start to seriously question whether the climate models are over-predicting? You can't keep pretending forever. The apocalypse illusion can only last for so long.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

That's such a dangerous argument man. The fact that we cannot forecast the global temperature with any degree of precision over a 10 year period indicates that we know less than we thought we did about natural influences or that our models are wrong.

We can forecast the global temperature with some degree of precision over a ten year period, so I guess?

quote:

Here's what I driving towards...at what point in this clear DIVERGENCE of climate models and observations will you start to seriously question whether the climate models are over-predicting? You can't keep pretending forever. The apocalypse illusion can only last for so long.

When the arctic ice loss reverses itself

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

a lovely poster posted:

We can forecast the global temperature with some degree of precision over a ten year period, so I guess?

How about when models regularly exceed Arctic ice loss. Right now, they can't keep up, and modelers can't quite figure out why we are losing September ice so god drat fast. The ocean warming faster than expected is the best explanation.
When we have an ice-free Arctic, poo poo is going to hit the fan, and fast.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Arkane posted:

Correct. It isn't. You are deluded.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.2297/abstract

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Cowtan & Way found a fault in one data set that resulted in a minimal increase. The alteration is presented graphically here: http://ourchangingclimate.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/cowtan_way_hadcrut_rcp85_5-95_perc.png

Even with the change, the hiatus is still occurring.

That error isn't found in the other 4 data sets afaik, as their polar coverage is adequate.

Try again man.

a lovely poster posted:

How does this make sense as a response to my question?

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 16, 2013

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arkane posted:

Because the decline in sea ice is more than what the models are predicting, which means models underestimate reality in that case?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Arkane posted:

Do you not understand this climate science you pose as an expert commentator of? I am a layman idiot who can't even remember a single name behind the latest IPCC report and the response was completely obvious to me: your words can't reform sea ice.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

You asked me

quote:

at what point in this clear DIVERGENCE of climate models and observations will you start to seriously question whether the climate models are over-predicting

When they over-predict is my answer. The arctic is one clear area where that in fact is not happening. I agree with you that the climate system is more complex than most people like to admit, but I don't think the "errors" you're concerned about are terribly relevant to the discussion as a whole.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 16, 2013

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Arkane posted:

Cowtan & Way found a fault in one data set that resulted in a minimal increase. The alteration is presented graphically here: http://ourchangingclimate.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/cowtan_way_hadcrut_rcp85_5-95_perc.png

That error isn't found in the other 4 data sets afaik, as their polar coverage is adequate.

Try again man.

Despite being one of the more gloom and doom goons in this thread, I really like your posts because you do a great job evaluating both the forecast and the obsereved surface temperatures. If you just look at surface temperature and the associated stall it really does seem like global warming is no big deal. However I am unable to reconcile that viewpoint with the rapidly diminishing sea ice. Once the sea ice is gone do you think that might cause a change in our currently mild surface temperature trajectory? I would really like to hear your thoughts on sea ice, even if it doesn't directly relate to your earlier question.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Malgrin posted:

When we have an ice-free Arctic, poo poo is going to hit the fan, and fast.
What are you talking about? Ice melts all the time, therefore this is nothing to be concerned about :pseudo:

Also, it might be with noting that November 2013 was the warmest November ever:

Also also, I don't remember if this got mentioned when it was first announced but it probably bears repeating due to Yet Another Arkane Derail: it's estimated that the past 15 years of mean global temperature rise has been underestimated by a half due to the lack of Arctic measurements:

quote:

A new study by British and Canadian researchers shows that the global temperature rise of the past 15 years has been greatly underestimated. The reason is the data gaps in the weather station network, especially in the Arctic. If you fill these data gaps using satellite measurements, the warming trend is more than doubled in the widely used HadCRUT4 data, and the much-discussed “warming pause” has virtually disappeared.

Cowtan and Way apply their method to the HadCRUT4 data, which are state-of-the-art except for their treatment of data gaps. For 1997-2012 these data show a relatively small warming trend of only 0.05 °C per decade – which has often been misleadingly called a “warming pause”. The new IPCC report writes:

Due to natural variability, trends based on short records are very sensitive to the beginning and end dates and do not in general reflect long-term climate trends. As one example, the rate of warming over the past 15 years (1998–2012; 0.05 [–0.05 to +0.15] °C per decade), which begins with a strong El Niño, is smaller than the rate calculated since 1951 (1951–2012; 0.12 [0.08 to 0.14] °C per decade).

But after filling the data gaps this trend is 0.12 °C per decade and thus exactly equal to the long-term trend mentioned by the IPCC.

The public debate about the alleged “warming pause” was misguided from the outset, because far too much was read into a cherry-picked short-term trend. Now this debate has become completely baseless, because the trend of the last 15 or 16 years is nothing unusual – even despite the record El Niño year at the beginning of the period.
Source

Go and find another flawed argument Arkane, and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Typically I just glaze past Arkane's posts, because hes full of poo poo and the most disingenuous human being on these forums.

GUys, global warming isn't real.

Ok ok, I mean, sure, its real, but its not BAD.

Wait wait, GUYS, Global warming WAS real, but now it stopped, so relax.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yiggy posted:

Typically I just glaze past Arkane's posts, because hes full of poo poo and the most disingenuous human being on these forums.

Yeah, but at the very least, he causes this thread to rise up to the top again, meaning more people will discuss this issue on the forums.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
TACD you're clearly not reading my posts because I JUST talked about the Cowtan and Way paper that you are referencing. Like on this very page. In fact I posted an image which visualizes it. Here is another one: http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/CotwinAndWay_2001.png

Even in the data set that is corrected, the pause doesn't disappear. Let alone the other 4 that do not need corrections.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TehSaurus posted:

If you just look at surface temperature and the associated stall it really does seem like global warming is no big deal. However I am unable to reconcile that viewpoint with the rapidly diminishing sea ice. Once the sea ice is gone do you think that might cause a change in our currently mild surface temperature trajectory? I would really like to hear your thoughts on sea ice, even if it doesn't directly relate to your earlier question.

I think "no big deal" is not really what I am saying, although it may seem like that contrasted to this thread in particular. The Earth is going to change, albeit very slowly. I think we do not have evidence of any cataclysmic effects coming anytime soon and a lot of observational evidence that the risk is being over-predicted. I think as a species adaptation will not be all that difficult, considering how fast we are moving in terms of technology.

As far as sea ice and what I know of it, the current understanding of arctic sea ice is that a complete summer arctic sea ice melt could happen in 30 to 40 years (granted, it would only be summer sea ice, and probably only very briefly). This would have an unknown effect on surface reflectivity of the Earth (albedo), although it is postulated that the Earth would become less reflective and would absorb more heat. I have seen conflicting arguments on that. Beyond that, I have no clue what ill effects would be seen. The ecosystem would be changed, but that has almost certainly happened in the past. Polar bears aren't going to drown or face extinctino. Al Gore had a bit on that in Inconvenient Truth based on the work of a scientist, who was subsequently fired for falsifying that research. It's been postulated that methane excretions would be accelerated in the arctic, but a Science article a couple years back said it wouldn't be anywhere bad as feared link. It's also been postulated that we'll see glacial melt accelerate, specifically in Greenland, but I have seen articles that there are physical limitations by which glacial melt can accelerate, that puts a significant damper on anyone predicting exponential acceleration. I believe it was in Nature. I am leaving so I don't have time to find it but I've posted it in this thread before. There was also another article on how we are starting to understand how glacial floes work, and that there are again limitations on how fast glaciers can melt. So there you go. Will edit in those papers later.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Arkane posted:

Try again man.

It completely *negates* that "pause" dude.

I mean you've plucked that out of an article that literally says there ISN'T a pause.

quote:

Combining their new method of infilling with the most up-to-date sea surface temperatures gives a substantially larger trend over the last 15 years than the abovementioned datasets do. The temporary slowdown in global surface warming (also dubbed “the pause”) nearly disappears. As Michael Tobis notes:

quote:

This demonstrates is how very un-robust the “slowdown” is.

Why did you ignore that? Why did you pull a graphic from an article that says more or less "The hiatus is a bust" and parade it as "The hiatus is real!".

Are you dishonest or just out of your depth? The later isn't a personality fault, but it does suggest that perhaps you don't have as much of value to contribute to this as you think you do.

Dunning Kruger is a hell of a drug dude.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Pause your pause nonsense:

(from a 2011 study, red is adjusted for some sources of natural variability and pink is observations)

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Arkane posted:

I think "no big deal" is not really what I am saying, although it may seem like that contrasted to this thread in particular. The Earth is going to change, albeit very slowly. I think we do not have evidence of any cataclysmic effects coming anytime soon and a lot of observational evidence that the risk is being over-predicted.

What would you define as a "cataclysmic event"?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Arkane posted:

As far as sea ice and what I know of it, the current understanding of arctic sea ice is that a complete summer arctic sea ice melt could happen in 30 to 40 years (granted, it would only be summer sea ice, and probably only very briefly). This would have an unknown effect on surface reflectivity of the Earth (albedo), although it is postulated that the Earth would become less reflective and would absorb more heat.

Melting ice would not have an "unknown effect" on the Earth's albedo. The ice-albedo positive feedback is not controversial. Land and water are a lot less reflective than ice. Melting ice causes a positive feedback cycle that leads to the Earth absorbing more heat. This isn't "postulated," it's well studied and backed by evidence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
To rebut his points is to give the denier movement all they ever want, folks. Suddenly it looks like you're citing two equally valid piles of data.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

SedanChair posted:

To rebut his points is to give the denier movement all they ever want, folks. Suddenly it looks like you're citing two equally valid piles of data.

Not to mention giving validity to whatever blogs are being used as arguments, which is utter nonsense. I don't really care what some non-peer reviewed blog writer has to say about climate change data.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Arkane posted:

rivetz, main problem I have with the 97% number is that there's a double-talk element to it. When people question the severity of changes by 2100, the 97% number is thrown out as if you are disagreeing with the scientific community by not believing large/even cataclysmic change is coming.
Huh? Who the hell ties the results of that survey to catastrophic events (besides a few alarmists looking for page hits? The only survey I know of that references catastrophic events is the Oregon Petition; it's an easy mistake to make, since the Oregon Petition is loving garbage.

Nobody credible ever holds 97% up as evidence that a majority of scientists expect Dennis Quaid to be snowshoeing from DC to New York in 2100. It's held up when skeptics say that poo poo's gonna be fine in 2100 and there's nothing to worry about. The uncertainties in a dynamic system as complex as climatology make cataclysmic change one of an enormous number of possible scenarios, neither ruling out or mandating such change.

quote:

But the 97% number is a backwards-looking number that encompasses all of those that think that the climate has gotten warmer over the instrumental record and humanity contributed to it (I'd obviously be part of that 97% if I were a publishing scientist in the field).
No, this isn't true either. The methodology used in Cook 2013 was quite specific in querying current activity:

code:
1 Explicit Endorsement with Quantification: paper explicitly states that humans are causing most of global warming. 
2 Explicit Endorsement without Quantification: paper explicitly states humans are causing global warming or refers 
to anthropogenic global warming/climate change as a given fact. 
3 Implicit Endorsement: paper implies humans are causing global warming. E.g., research assumes greenhouse gases 
cause warming without explicitly stating humans are the cause. 
4 Neutral: paper doesn't address or mention issue of what's causing global warming. 
5 Implicit Rejection: paper implies humans have had a minimal impact on global warming without saying so explicitly.
E.g., proposing a natural mechanism is the main cause of global warming. 
6 Explicit Rejection without Quantification: paper explicitly minimizes or rejects that humans are causing global warming. 
7 Explicit Rejection with Quantification: paper explicitly states that humans are causing less than half of global warming.
I guess I need a clarification on how a survey can be backwards-looking when all its questions are in the present tense.

quote:

I'd say hanging out at the Daily Caller comment section is a pointless activity.

?? I certainly don't go there to get climate news, I go there for the sole purpose of presenting a counterargument to folks like you.

quote:

If you want to read the blogs that I read to get the other side of the argument,

Yeeeah no I don't, see, the problem is that those words take as long to read and process as these other words on these other sites that represent the overwhelming majority of the scientific community, so they tend to wind up at the bottom of the pile for me :(. Maybe if they can round up like another few dozen active, qualified scientists who don't think the skeptic position is largely bullshit, maybe get the count up over...sixty? Can we shoot for that and then they could carpool over to my place to discuss

Bizarro Watt posted:

Not to mention giving validity to whatever blogs are being used as arguments, which is utter nonsense. I don't really care what some free-of-the-sinister-international-conspiracy blog writer has to say about climate change data.
FIXED THIS ONE FOR YA

rivetz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 17, 2013

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Arkane posted:

As far as sea ice and what I know of it, the current understanding of arctic sea ice is that a complete summer arctic sea ice melt could happen in 30 to 40 years (granted, it would only be summer sea ice, and probably only very briefly). This would have an unknown effect on surface reflectivity of the Earth (albedo), although it is postulated that the Earth would become less reflective and would absorb more heat. I have seen conflicting arguments on that. Beyond that, I have no clue what ill effects would be seen. The ecosystem would be changed, but that has almost certainly happened in the past. Polar bears aren't going to drown or face extinctino. Al Gore had a bit on that in Inconvenient Truth based on the work of a scientist, who was subsequently fired for falsifying that research. It's been postulated that methane excretions would be accelerated in the arctic, but a Science article a couple years back said it wouldn't be anywhere bad as feared link. It's also been postulated that we'll see glacial melt accelerate, specifically in Greenland, but I have seen articles that there are physical limitations by which glacial melt can accelerate, that puts a significant damper on anyone predicting exponential acceleration. I believe it was in Nature. I am leaving so I don't have time to find it but I've posted it in this thread before. There was also another article on how we are starting to understand how glacial floes work, and that there are again limitations on how fast glaciers can melt. So there you go. Will edit in those papers later.

That makes sense. I would like to see the articles, but honestly I don't think I will have time for them. Maybe over the holiday. Suffice it to say that there are some areas of unsettled science with respect to the details of what sea ice loss will mean, and the rate at which it will occur. I am skeptical about the limitations on the speed of glacier melt being compelling given the accelerating and consistently underestimated rate of (land) glacier loss.

Obviously it would be great if the planet has a lower climate sensitivity than we thought, but I cannot say that it seems likely given the current state of the field.

Thanks for providing your thoughts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TehSaurus posted:

That makes sense. I would like to see the articles, but honestly I don't think I will have time for them. Maybe over the holiday. Suffice it to say that there are some areas of unsettled science with respect to the details of what sea ice loss will mean, and the rate at which it will occur. I am skeptical about the limitations on the speed of glacier melt being compelling given the accelerating and consistently underestimated rate of (land) glacier loss.

Obviously it would be great if the planet has a lower climate sensitivity than we thought, but I cannot say that it seems likely given the current state of the field.

And another mammoth gets caught in the tar pits. I hope you're getting paid for this Arkane.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SedanChair posted:

And another mammoth gets caught in the tar pits. I hope you're getting paid for this Arkane.

I have asked about his interests several times. He has declined to respond.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

TehSaurus posted:

That scientist who did the work on polar bears wasn't fired for falsifying research and was cleared of any alleged scientific misconduct; it involved unrelated shenanigans that don't bring his results into question. http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/10/cleared-of-misconduct-polar-bear-researcher-is-reprimanded-for-leaked-emails.html

The Science "article" that Arkane is referring to regarding methane is interesting, but isn't a peer-reviewed research paper (Which is definitely what he was trying to imply).

This kind of tomfoolery by Arkane is par for the course, which is why people who've been contributing to these climate change threads for a while don't bother listening to him. His mentioning of a Nature paper backing up one of his points but saying he doesn't have time to find it is pretty typical.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SedanChair posted:

To be clear, I don't agree with Arkane's view at all (it is right there in my post, I do not think there is sufficient compelling evidence to state that we have undersold the climate sensitivity of the planet.) I think he's on the wrong side of the science and that the climate outlook is genuinely grim. However, he does a good job of presenting a coherent view from an opposition perspective which includes actual science and results (assuming that he's not just pretending to have sources for the assertions on glacier melt and reflectivity) as opposed to the typical climate denier. This is good because it shows us that maybe some of these details are worth exploring more fully in order to create better arguments and a clearer picture of the future.

I mean, I think we need to stop burning fossil fuels yesterday. I just want to know what a not-crazy climate denier argument looks like.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It looks like $.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TehSaurus posted:

I just want to know what a not-crazy climate denier argument looks like.

Presumably they are made on other planets where there's a real debate about whether it's happening.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TehSaurus posted:

However, he does a good job of presenting a coherent view from an opposition perspective which includes actual science and results (assuming that he's not just pretending to have sources for the assertions on glacier melt and reflectivity) as opposed to the typical climate denier. This is good because it shows us that maybe some of these details are worth exploring more fully in order to create better arguments and a clearer picture of the future.

But most of the big denier blogs and whatever already do this - they have plenty of sources and cherry-picked data, and then they put it together in such a way as to build the picture they want. It just doesn't hold up to any scrutiny, purely because it's a ramshackle house of cards instead of broad, coherent and robust science.

The mistake you're making is thinking that this stuff comes into being out of a genuine misunderstanding of climate science and research. It doesn't. Making the arguments clearer won't do anything but make it slightly harder for bullshit to fly - I say harder because it doesn't actually stop it. There are claims and talking points that have been addressed and debunked ad nauseum, and they still continue to be trotted out, especially in popular media. It's a narrative looking for supporting evidence, not the other way around

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

TehSaurus posted:

I mean, I think we need to stop burning fossil fuels yesterday. I just want to know what a not-crazy climate denier argument looks like.
Most anti-AGW people aren't crazy, at least in the classic pants-on-head way. They're mostly ignorant, willingly or not. Some of them take it a step further by doing everything in their power to impress that ignorance onto other people by misrepresenting good science or pushing poo poo science. And some of these people are terrifyingly good at what they do, to the point where they actually have some mastery of the subject, but they use it for purely malicious purposes. It turns out they can't be reasoned away, only sufficiently humiliated.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

To be clear, I don't agree with Arkane's view at all (it is right there in my post, I do not think there is sufficient compelling evidence to state that we have undersold the climate sensitivity of the planet.) I think he's on the wrong side of the science and that the climate outlook is genuinely grim. However, he does a good job of presenting a coherent view from an opposition perspective which includes actual science and results (assuming that he's not just pretending to have sources for the assertions on glacier melt and reflectivity) as opposed to the typical climate denier. This is good because it shows us that maybe some of these details are worth exploring more fully in order to create better arguments and a clearer picture of the future.

No, he trots the same 5-6 arguments in circles , which then get comprehensively shot down in flames and then he just ignores it and starts again until all thats really left to do is to tell him to go away because its pretty loving tireing having the same drat argument in a loop forever.

It gets even more painful when your living in a country adjusting to a new reality that every year for the past decade we're being hit with what was once once-per-century catastrophes and then some git comes along and says "Buuutttt this study says it isnt reaalllll" (and then when you read it it says the oposite). Right, I'll keep it in mind paddling my upside down house down the road*. Its dishonest and frankly pretty boring.

*Don't actually have an upside down house or even flooding, but I sure as gently caress know people who have had that poo poo go on in the last few years. Excuse the colorful prose!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

duck monster posted:

Right, I'll keep it in mind paddling my upside down house down the road*. Its dishonest and frankly pretty boring.

*Don't actually have an upside down house or even flooding, but I sure as gently caress know people who have had that poo poo go on in the last few years. Excuse the colorful prose!

Sounded like you were throwing a jab at the economy in there, lots of people are upside down on their home loans lately.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Melting ice would not have an "unknown effect" on the Earth's albedo. The ice-albedo positive feedback is not controversial. Land and water are a lot less reflective than ice. Melting ice causes a positive feedback cycle that leads to the Earth absorbing more heat. This isn't "postulated," it's well studied and backed by evidence.

Not as simple as that. The Arctic has clouds that are found to warm the surface during most of the year, but summer clouds (when sea ice melts) cool the surface: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2000JC000439/abstract With melting sea ice there is more open ocean; cloud formation would be expected to increase in the summer months. This would mean a higher reflectivity and a decrease in solar radiation that hits the surface. Now there are differing wavelengths of radiation that can penetrate clouds, hence the reason that I erred on the side of a positive albedo feedback when I responded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I'm just going to go ahead and repeat myself here:

Inglonias posted:

:negative:
Is there any news that's going to make me want to live through the century? Anybody have anything at all, or is it just bad all the way down?

See, because I look and all I find is that things just keep getting worse.

So I ask one more time: Is there any reason I shouldn't give up here yet?

• Locked thread