Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Haha and he's not even the worst person we've had around here.

It's you :catstare:

Look, I'm just saying, people with Downs Syndrome have no business in movie theaters and I can't be held responsible for what happens if they talk over Zero Dark Thirty.

(EDIT: Holy poo poo I meant that as a joke but that is purestrain goons.txt on the new page. Hope I didn't bother anyone too badly with that!)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everybody stop apologizing for jokes!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

This post lacks a meta-apology for your post in some way, step your game up zoux!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Hell, Azure_Horizon was a regular here, so we've already got "Rape" on the list.

What the gently caress. Can you PM me about this?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Hell, Azure_Horizon was a regular here, so we've already got "Rape" on the list.

I think we had that on our list before him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just want to go on record that I've never raped, killed, or stolen things. The worst thing I've got on my record are speeding tickets!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

What the gently caress. Can you PM me about this?!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579491

Details here.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

I just want to go on record that I've never raped, killed, or stolen things. The worst thing I've got on my record are speeding tickets!

I steal stuff and do drugs. Oh well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a legal place to watch Burning Love?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Because they're convinced that if Fox hadn't messed with the airdates/episode order, it would have been a massive, massive hit.

I mean, they're wrong, Firefly was great but it would never have been a massive hit, but that's why they still cling to it - the potential they feel was lost.

It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops from the fandom, either. I get that there are a lot of different geek groups that overlap, but when Firefly was coming out I remember there being a lot of complaints from fandom that it was a rip-off of Outlaw Star, Trigun and Cowboy Bepop just from the first trailers and the plot synopsis..

I recall some very vocal fandom really condemning the show on those points and a chunk of people already writing it off based on that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha at nerds thinking anime inspires anything outside of Darren Aranovsky movies. And brutal scorn.

Being Human is a blantant ripoff of Fullmetal Doku Doku Bubblegum Magical Girl Panic!!!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

Haha at nerds thinking anime inspires anything outside of Darren Aranovsky movies.

anime inspires a lot, and I mean a loving lot of online fanfiction. There's quantities that would make astrologist amazed.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Anime shares elements with another anime: They're part of the same sub-genre, there is natural overlap.
Anime shares elements with a non-anime: It's a coincidence, an homage or it inspired it. But it's still ALL original. Nothing else!
Non-anime shares elements with anime: It's a rip-off! HOW DARE THEY!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Haha at nerds thinking anime inspires anything outside of Darren Aranovsky movies. And brutal scorn.

Being Human is a blantant ripoff of Fullmetal Doku Doku Bubblegum Magical Girl Panic!!!

Pacific Rim was the greatest anime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you walked down the street and just stopped random people, how many of them do you think could tell you what "anime" even means?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JediTalentAgent posted:

Anime shares elements with another anime: They're part of the same sub-genre, there is natural overlap.
Anime shares elements with a non-anime: It's a coincidence, an homage or it inspired it. But it's still ALL original. Nothing else!
Non-anime shares elements with anime: It's a rip-off! HOW DARE THEY!

Avatar the Last Airbender is an anime show

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

If you walked down the street and just stopped random people, how many of them do you think could tell you what "anime" even means?

They'll probably think you had a stroke while saying animation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Anime is cartoons like The Flintstones, right?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slamhound posted:

Imagine all the girls had tits the size of their heads and yeah basically

E: Also eyes, eyes the size of their tits.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Slamhound posted:

Yeah. Although people may try to limit it to shows that discuss more adult topics, things you might recognize like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and Pokemon count as anime.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

They'll probably think you had a stroke while saying animation.

I don't know any Anna May, when did you last see her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*Raises index finger* Actually they should hear it as Annie May, if you are pronouncing correctly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah. Although people may try to limit it to shows that discuss more adult topics, things you might recognize like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and Pokemon count as anime.

That's a hell of a custom title you got there.

zoux posted:

*Raises index finger* Actually they should hear it as Annie May, if you are pronouncing correctly.

Please tell me this isn't a thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well couch chat sure got weird in a hurry.

:munch:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

Well couch chat sure got weird in a hurry.

:munch:

Mad Men is overrated IMO

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Akira's motorcycle scene inspired a lot of homages.
Inception was inspired byPaprika.
Dragonball Evolution was based on Dragonball Z
:smugbert:

edit:

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

I'm a fan of both of the leads, especially Michael Ealy. Really loved Sleeper Cell.

Watch it. The first two episodes are the best for setting up the procedural sci-fi cops style. If you don't like either, it's probably not the show for you. Pilot and Skins are real tone setters for the series.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 17, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

That's a hell of a custom title you got there.

Please tell me this isn't a thing.

Go mispronounce Japan words at fedoras and see what happens.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Anime is that thing where an octopus rapes a school girl, right? The Daily Show taught me that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Austrian mook posted:

Mad Men is overrated IMO

You're doing it wrong. Watch.

Orphan Black isn't very good at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I do admit that I ended up watching Queen's Blade just because I couldn't tell if it was seriously earnest or a satire, but I still don't know what the intent was. That'll haunt me forver.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Breaking Bad is a mediocre show and Bryan Cranston can't act his way out of a paper bag. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Postal Parcel posted:

Breaking Bad is a mediocre show and Bryan Cranston can't act his way out of a paper bag. :v:

No, the point is that it has to be sincere. Nobody would take that seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

No it has to have a hint of believability about it to work. It's like yall have never read an Irish Joe post in your lives.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Firefly is far from a perfect show, and it's not even the best thing Whedon's done, but you really can't say whether it would have been successful or not because Fox really did screw it over. That's not a Whedon fanboy thing, that's an undeniable fact.

edit: Dollhouse is better than Firefly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

JediTalentAgent posted:

I do admit that I ended up watching Queen's Blade just because I couldn't tell if it was seriously earnest or a satire, but I still don't know what the intent was. That'll haunt me forver.

Hmmm, is this anime lady's chestplate falling off to reveal her huge knockers satirical? I must investigate further.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

No it has to have a hint of believability about it to work. It's like yall have never read an Irish Joe post in your lives.

Deadpool posted:

No, the point is that it has to be sincere. Nobody would take that seriously.

Dammit, I'm trying ok!

Okay, how about :

Happy Endings was a poorly made comedy with amateur actors and literally no chemistry between them. Ditto for DTBA23

Edit:

Zaggitz posted:

Hmmm, is this anime lady's chestplate falling off to reveal her huge knockers satirical? I must investigate further.

Is the woman with breasts larger than her body a stab at female sexuality stereotypes?

Edit2:

Deadpool posted:

Too much effort.

Fine, I quit. Can't compete with the masters I guess.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 17, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Postal Parcel posted:

Dammit, I'm trying ok!

Okay, how about :

Happy Endings was a poorly made comedy with amateur actors and literally no chemistry between them. Ditto for DTBA23

Too much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Deadpool posted:

I really couldn't get into Madmen. It looks pretty but there just doesn't feel like anything is going on. Look at Breaking Bad's opening, that had poo poo happening. It has downtime sure, but there's no opening lull, I hate an opening lull. Start your drat show off with a loving bang or don't start it at all.

• Locked thread