Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Red posted:

That's what I wondered, but some will claim it's entirely bullshit: http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/whimsy/a/teamyth.htm
I think the thing is that hundreds of years ago it was the best available fix for a constant problem. Now we have refrigeration and cold drinks that are just as sanitary as boiling hot ones, so the hot drink on a hot day will always be a last resort.

I'm willing to grant that it could have just been a hokum placebo solution for people who have no other choice, just to make them feel better than having no "cowboy tricks" at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I heard the English drank tea in India for the same effect. But I think that was just due to really liking tea.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm pretty sure a bunch of old timey uneducated dudes who spent their lives staring at cows knew something we don't.

It's fun to tell people lies and sit in the shade while you drink hot drinks and sweat like a moron

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Marenghi posted:

I heard the English drank tea in India for the same effect. But I think that was just due to really liking tea.

It was probably more about really liking not making GBS threads their guts out. :v:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was recently reading about coffee and read that cowboys on the trail made coffee by just putting grounds into a pot of boiling water and waiting for the grounds to settle. I tried it in a sauce pan and it works. Boil water, stir in grounds, wait 5 minutes, pour off liquid into mug. Perfectly clear coffee with way easier cleanup.

This is what my parents taught me was called a 'stinger' and they picked it up in med school. It's great it you have ground coffee at work, but not sieve/strainer/cafetiere/etc. You need pretty course-ground coffee beans, though. Spoonful in the mug, boiling water, stir once, and let it settle. Persistently floating grounds can be coaxed to sink by stroking the surface with the back of the spoon or, in a pinch, tapping them with a fingertip smartly. Works a treat. You just have to be careful when you get to the bottom of the mug.

Combine with a roll-up for a seriously early-morning-hangover vibe, if that's your thing. Recommended, personally.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

isn't boiling water with the grounds just turkish coffee?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pointers posted:

isn't boiling water with the grounds just turkish coffee?

But that's with a SUPER fine grind so you don't notice so much.

And relevant, I used a French press for the first time last night since I haven't had a way to make coffee at my new apartment for the three months I've been there (I've been getting it at the mini mart like 50 feet from my front door.)

The grocery store bean grinder machine didn't have a French press setting, so I used the "percolator" setting since it was coarser than the standard "auto drip" one. It came out pretty good, certainly better than what I'm normally used to, which is gas station/mini-mart coffee or from a Kuerig at work.

Also, adding whiskey and some eggnog into your coffee is both delicious and festive!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, adding whiskey and some eggnog into your coffee is both delicious and festive!

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

DrBouvenstein posted:

And relevant, I used a French press for the first time last night since I haven't had a way to make coffee at my new apartment for the three months I've been there (I've been getting it at the mini mart like 50 feet from my front door.)

You can get a Mr Coffee at any thrift store for $5 or less.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Trips posted:

You can get a Mr Coffee at any thrift store for $5 or less.

1) I don't trust used kitchen appliances.
2) I have very little counter space and no free outlet.

Edit: Plus, that requires me to buy yet another thing that I will always forget to buy when I'm out; the coffee filters.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Captain Trips posted:

There really isn't much of a "taper" to salsa jars as it is. If you can't get your greasy chip-demolishing hand into this:

You've got bigger issues.

You have tiny hands.

I'm 6'5" and if I spread my hand it's over 10" from thumb tip to pinky tip, I'm sorry but my hand isn't fitting in a goddamn 16oz jar.

So yes, I guess you are correct because I do have "bigger" issues. Like not being a midget :haw:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I'm 6'4", 240lbs, and I can reach most of the salsa with the chip. The reason? I don't hold it with my entire fist like some sort of Mexican-food-eating caveman.

Hold the chip so your fingers can fit into the lip of the jar. Is that really so hard?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Captain Trips posted:

I can reach most of the salsa

kastein posted:

reach the bottom with chips

Reading comprehension, man.

Oh wait, your avatar. I'm not sure why I bothered.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I used to have that salsa problem, but then I just started getting those dollar store nacho cheese tins and doing a bit of double-scooping in each container until theres room to dump salsa in the cheese

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Plus, that requires me to buy yet another thing that I will always forget to buy when I'm out; the coffee filters.

Paper towels work just fine as coffee filters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Man with Hat posted:

I'm not seeing the problem? It's like having a billion books and have them lying down instead of standing up? If anything, it'll be easier to ship because they're less likely to fall over.

I'm thinking this shape, by the way:

But with a proper top that can be reattached, it was just the first thing I could think of that's shaped right

Unless you were remarking, specifically, on the bit about wider top than bottom in which case I agree.

Coincidentally I just switched to Newman's Own from a brand that came in a wide, plastic, resealable tub. So the concept exists.

(Newman's Own is way better though.)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cowboy coffee is good only when you're camping. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Captain Trips posted:

Hold the chip so your fingers can fit into the lip of the jar. Is that really so hard?

Fingertips are indeed a lot easier than my whole greasy chip-demolishing hand, yeah. :jerkbag:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

1) I don't trust used kitchen appliances.
2) I have very little counter space and no free outlet.

Yeah, my last apartment had a tinyass kitchen, so a french press was great in that situation. My problem with them, though, is that you end up going through a shitload of coffee really fast. Sometimes I use the grounds twice if I'm making a second cup right after, and I'm usually making a second cup right after because I have a severe coffee problem.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

DrBouvenstein posted:

See, more people need to use French presses. They are far superior to filter. Americans are pretty dumb about coffee (sorry, I'm a coffee snob, it was my job for many years)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, my last apartment had a tinyass kitchen, so a french press was great in that situation. My problem with them, though, is that you end up going through a shitload of coffee really fast. Sometimes I use the grounds twice if I'm making a second cup right after, and I'm usually making a second cup right after because I have a severe coffee problem.

How big is your French press you can't get at least 2 cups out of it :psyduck:

Also, on ginger beer chat, if you can get to a World Market or a place with an international section and they have Australian Bundaberg Ginger Beer it is AWESOME. Especially for Moscow Mules. I've turned many people over to Moscow Mules with my recipe using Bundaberg :australia:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Man, I visited Australia for 3 or 4 weeks this summer and you chumps have some alcohol problems. Mostly that is it literally 4x the price, and also that you think bundaberg rum qualifies as palatable.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Trilineatus posted:

Man, I visited Australia for 3 or 4 weeks this summer and you chumps have some alcohol problems. Mostly that is it literally 4x the price, and also that you think bundaberg rum qualifies as palatable.

We sure do! There's a reason I got paid a bunch of money to be in an anti binge drinking ad campaign! (Because I'm a great actor?)
Although when I moved to the US, I struggled with how strong liquor drinks are because you can't free pour in Aus. I guess because we can't be trusted...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Miranda posted:

We sure do! There's a reason I got paid a bunch of money to be in an anti binge drinking ad campaign! (Because I'm a great actor?)
Although when I moved to the US, I struggled with how strong liquor drinks are because you can't free pour in Aus. I guess because we can't be trusted...

In the state I live they sell moonshine. Literal moonshine. It is 95% corn alcohol in a liter bottle.

Australia sounds like hell

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

death .cab for qt posted:

I think that every time I see an AusGoon post here or AI or Games (or anywhere else), the first thought through my mind is "what the hell is wrong with their electorate that the government is that invasive?"

I mean, I think that about several states, too, but at least the majority of the flora and fauna of those states aren't actively trying to kill you.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

death .cab for qt posted:

In the state I live they sell moonshine. Literal moonshine. It is 95% corn alcohol in a liter bottle.

Most moonshine isn't that strong, unless it is straight from the still. And it isn't legal, so I don't know what your point is. You can't pour a glass of alcohol poisoning in America either.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Yay Pudding! posted:

And it isn't legal, so I don't know what your point is.
You can't pour a glass of alcohol poisoning in America either.

Yes, it is, and yes you can. Everclear 190 proof and Diesel 191* are both available in plenty of places in the USA, and are, basically, moonshine. I also didn't see anything in his post that said he was outside of the USA.

* Haven't seen this in a little while, but I used to find it in New Orleans, all the time.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Centripetal Horse posted:

Yes, it is, and yes you can. Everclear 190 proof and Diesel 191* are both available in plenty of places in the USA, and are, basically, moonshine. I also didn't see anything in his post that said he was outside of the USA.

* Haven't seen this in a little while, but I used to find it in New Orleans, all the time.

Those examples you gave are both legally distilleries, not moonshine, and anything over 190 proof is going to evaporate alcohol. And if you think redneck moonshiners are going through the number of distillations you need to get 95% alcohol, you are an idiot that doesn't actually understand the process involved, and are talking out your rear end.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yay Pudding! posted:

You can't pour a glass of alcohol poisoning in America either.

What? Yes you can.

A 750 ml bottle of Everclear has ~16 1.5 oz shots in it (24.5 oz). Pour that into a mason jar and figure you've got 12 oz of everclear per drink. That's 8 1.5 oz shots. If you did that with whiskey at about 100 proof in an hour you'd be at somewhere around 0.17 BAC for a 200 pound male. For everclear with a bit more than twice the ABV you should be somewhere around 0.30 - 0.32 BAC. Depending how much you drink you're pretty loving close before you finish half the bottle.

0.35 - 0.40 is Coma/Respiratory arrest possible.

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Dec 18, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yay Pudding! posted:

Those examples you gave are both legally distilleries, not moonshine, and anything over 190 proof is going to evaporate alcohol. And if you think redneck moonshiners are going through the number of distillations you need to get 95% alcohol, you are an idiot that doesn't actually understand the process involved, and are talking out your rear end.

I am very sorry for sullying the fine name of lovely hillbilly shine by comparing it to its legal, max-alcohol cousin. I promise to, in the future, clarify that the 190 proof clear tasteless alcohol I am referring to is entirely different than the above-160-proof clear near-tasteless alcohol we had at farm parties

The whole point is that the Australian was talking about strong drinks, which is really funny considering there are legally-purchasable bottles of extremely potent alcohol in liquor stores, that people can use to make stupidly strong drinks. The only people that care so strongly about that distinction are pedants and shiners.

And now I want to give an Australian a jug of Apple Pie and let them know just how far rural America is outclassing them in trashiness :unsmigghh:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Plinkey posted:

What? Yes you can.

A 750 ml bottle of Everclear has ~16 1.5 oz shots in it (24.5 oz). Pour that into a mason jar and figure you've got 12 oz of everclear per drink. That's 8 1.5 oz shots. If you did that with whiskey at about 100 proof in an hour you'd be at somewhere around 0.17 BAC for a 200 pound male. For everclear with a bit more than twice the ABV you should be somewhere around 0.30 - 0.32 BAC. Depending how much you drink you're pretty loving close before you finish half the bottle.

0.35 - 0.40 is Coma/Respiratory arrest possible.

I was assuming he was referring to moonshine's reputation for not working too hard to avoid methanol contamination.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Yay Pudding! posted:

And if you think redneck moonshiners are going through the number of distillations you need to get 95% alcohol, you are an idiot that doesn't actually understand the process involved, and are talking out your rear end.

I guess that's it, and not just that you are cherry-picking specific portions of the meaning of the word "moonshine" to justify an angry confrontation over nothing. It isn't like it was perfectly clear what death .cab for qt meant and you intentionally misinterpreted it so you'd have an excuse to post a smug rebuttal.

Bachelor/hobo contribution: I've been sleeping on air mattresses for quite a while, largely because I was planning to move. Also, I don't want to own much in the way of furniture, because I like to be mobile. Also also, beds are expensive. No matter what the manufacturer says, air mattresses don't do well as everyday beds. My latest one finally went flat, and I am breaking down and buying a real bed, tomorrow. In the meantime, since last Friday night, I have been sleeping on a big pile of cardboard boxes that has accumulated in my bedroom. Many of the boxes are from air mattresses. I threw a bunch of clothes, and the carcass of an air mattress, across the boxes, and I am sleeping on them. I have to contort myself into bizarre positions because the boxes are all different sizes, and full of different things.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, real moonshine is actually pretty awesome.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, real moonshine is actually pretty awesome.

The best I've had included raspberries during the settling time and it tasted like straight up raspberry juice mixed with hate

It's just so much easier to make a simple "reduction" with juice and combine it with Everclear or another substitute, though. Tastes even better, and you still have tons of options.

My goal for my next batch is going to be pineapple juice and pink lemonade. Lemonade didn't turn out as well as regular apple did, but I think that was due a lack of sweet flavors to balance the lemon, even with the lemon/honey half and half. Pineapple juice should help out a lot in that respect

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Miranda posted:

See, more people need to use French presses. They are far superior to filter. Americans are pretty dumb about coffee (sorry, I'm a coffee snob, it was my job for many years)

How big is your French press you can't get at least 2 cups out of it :psyduck:

I have a big-ish French press at home that say's it's a 3-cup one and you can only really get 2 medium mugs of coffee out of it. I dunno who would drink the tiny amount of coffee they expect you to and still be satisfied. I also have a personal one for the office that just about gives you a mug's worth. The little french press was like £6.50 and it's paid for itself 3 times over in the 2 weeks I've had it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Trilineatus posted:

Try telling a bogan that they should be drinking Mt Gay.

Besides the costs of alcohol here though, at least it's legal everywhere and legal to drink at 18 y/o.
We don't have stupid county or state laws that restrict it to a different degree than other countys/state. Doesn't matter if it's beer, wine or spirits, all sold from the same shops in the same way.
It's all available 7 days a week from 9am to 9pm (e:sometimes 8am to 12am but I am of course talking about major cities here), and you can even take your car and get booze using a drive through service.

But yeah, not one upping you, it's really expensive, especially beer and spirits. It's only wine that it is relatively cheap.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Dec 18, 2013

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, on the other hand, I can buy booze at my grocery store without going through a separate kiosk and at 3am as long as I'm sober enough to make polite small talk.

The cost was probably more horrifying to me because the friend I stayed with was borderline alcoholic and between the cost of booze and weed it was lucky if he could afford to eat every other day. Also, your groceries are expensive too. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

I think that every time I see an AusGoon post here or AI or Games (or anywhere else), the first thought through my mind is "what the hell is wrong with their electorate that the government is that invasive?"

I mean, I think that about several states, too, but at least the majority of the flora and fauna of those states aren't actively trying to kill you.

The sad part is that they like it that way, every time anyone says anything about australia being a ridiculous nanny state the australians I've seen posting instantly defend it and yet complain about it. It's the weirdest stockholm syndrome like behavior I've ever seen from most of an entire country. Oh well, move if you don't like it, just don't bring it with you I guess.

Yay Pudding! posted:

Apparently this chump doesn't know that everclear is available in 190 proof in a number of US states. It tastes like burning and hate and pain though, so I don't buy it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Miranda posted:

How big is your French press you can't get at least 2 cups out of it :psy

It's not so much the size of the French Press as it is the size of the mug I was using. Which was huge.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Centripetal Horse posted:

In the meantime, since last Friday night, I have been sleeping on a big pile of cardboard boxes that has accumulated in my bedroom. Many of the boxes are from air mattresses. I threw a bunch of clothes, and the carcass of an air mattress, across the boxes, and I am sleeping on them. I have to contort myself into bizarre positions because the boxes are all different sizes, and full of different things.

Straight up floor sounds more comfortable than this :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

whatshesaid posted:

Straight up floor sounds more comfortable than this :psyduck:

My limbs go seriously numb if I try to sleep on the floor. I sleep on my side, and everything gets pinched/cut off.

• Locked thread