Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Azhais posted:

The Cowboys' most pressing issue is the salary cap: something like 30m over next year already. They are due for a Raiders like 60m dead money season soon.

Just how who gets this money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I hate Allen Robinson but I don't know why. Only thing I can think of is that he is sort of a body catcher, but even then not all the time.

Does anyone have a good reason to explain my irrationality?

A-Rob is kinda slow for a late firsts rounder. Got caught from behind with an open field ahead a couple times this season. Other than that, nope.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Penn State skill position players are historically awful in the NFL

That was with JoePa.

Bill'O is different. See: Matt McGloin

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Just how who gets this money

Here's everyone over $5m, accounting for over $92m of that number:

Tony Romo - $21.7m
DeMarcus Ware - $16
Brandon Carr - $12.2
Jason Witten - $8.4
Miles Austin - $8.2 (only a $400k savings if cut)
Seam Lee - $7.5
Jay Ratliff - $6.9 (all dead, they cut him already)
Orlando Scandrick - $6.6
Doug Free - $6.5

Then there's another 5 guys at $3-4.5m each accounting for another 20m.

Outside of Ware, there's literally no one they can cut for more then a $1.5m savings either.

Gonna be some amazing restructures this offseason from them. (They're at $136m currently, have to get down to $129m ish, along with probably $10m for rookies and whatnot).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DOOP posted:

Bill'O is different. See: Matt McGloin

I...uh...I saw him last week.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Coughlin is leagues better than Garrett but Gilbride and Tom Quinn still suck

I'm actually fond of Perry Fewell and think he's doing the best he can given the circumstances our defense gets put in

I wish Fewell well. He started off awful in the beginning of the season but really turned it around. He seems to be the only coach on the roster that actually deviates from his gameplan.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo the cowboys are paying that much for that quality of cornerback play Hahahaha holy poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

I...uh...I saw him last week.

In the sense McGloin is even able to play in the NFL. Dude was legit terrible and very bad under the Paterno Clan. Bill'O actually coached him into something passable at the very least.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Holy poo poo the cowboys are paying that much for that quality of cornerback play Hahahaha holy poo poo

Isn't Carr at least decent (but injured) though? I always have a hard time faulting guys who get injured as that is mostly bad luck. I don't pay enough attention to the Cowboys to know for sure on that though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AAA DOLFAN posted:

In fairness they aren't so bad compared to the safeties, defensive linemen or linebackers (with Ware and Lee broken.)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

HappyHelmet posted:

Isn't Carr at least decent (but injured) though? I always have a hard time faulting guys who get injured as that is mostly bad luck. I don't pay enough attention to the Cowboys to know for sure on that though.

Carr's decent, but he's probably overpaid. Same with Scandrick, who's a decent nickel/slot CB (but a bad #2).

The Cowboys will cut Parnell (1.5), Cost (1.5), Bernadeau (1.4), Durant (1.2), Carter (1.0) and Orton (0.9) in the offseason to make cap room, then they'll restructure Carr and Romo and possibly Lee to create another 8-15M, and then they'll have to do something about Ware. Their best bet is to trade Ware to save $7.4M and free up room in 2014. Anything they can get for him is a plus, but the trade partner list is limited given the cap hit he'd incur with a $12.25M base salary. Based on currente commitments and system fit, the most likely trade partner is Indianapolis.

After that, the Cowboys will have to address their defense in the draft.

I have been considering doing a "fantasy GM" type thread after the super bowl, where everyone picks a team and has to manage free agency/trades, then run that through the mock draft a couple of weeks before the draft happens. Any interest?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Trade Ware to the Texans, have them draft Clowney, now you have a Clowney/Ware OLB combo with Watt :v:

To dream the impossible dream... also would have to be Ware from a couple years ago

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Ozu posted:

Bortles owns but I was thinking late 1st ceiling, likely 2nd or 3rd round if he came out. Could have the highest drafted UCF player since Daunte.

quote:

And in his weekly "MMQB" column, King wrote, "I know one team that, as of now, thinks it's no sure thing [Louisville's] Teddy Bridgewater will be the top quarterback on its board. ... Moreover, this team believes Blake Bortles or [Texas A&M's] Johnny Manziel could be the top quarterback on the board."

Henchman of Santa posted:

Blake Bortles won't succeed in the NFL because he has a scrub name.

It's us, isn't it? "My QB is also named Bort."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Trade Ware to the Texans, have them draft Clowney, now you have a Clowney/Ware OLB combo with Watt :v:

To dream the impossible dream... also would have to be Ware from a couple years ago

Ware would probably look better if given time to heal and put back in a 3-4 OLB spot but he's still slower and older and the Texans really can't afford to tie up $12M in cap room on him. The Colts have the cap room and seem to like making bad trades.

That said, if the Cowboys cut Ware, the Texans are a very likely spot for him to end up if Phillips stays in town. Or on whatever team Phillips ends up on.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
God this just signifies how important the draft is. Those prices are insane. Locking up grimes long term will be impossible if that's what top cornerbacks get paid

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have been considering doing a "fantasy GM" type thread after the super bowl, where everyone picks a team and has to manage free agency/trades, then run that through the mock draft a couple of weeks before the draft happens. Any interest?

It has potential, but I'm not really sure how you would handle FA. I don't see how things like UFAs would work. You'd have to try and guess what players will accept before the deals happen, or wait until a player signs with someone then make them available for that amount after the fact for goons to decide on. Either way would have it's problems though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ware would probably look better if given time to heal and put back in a 3-4 OLB spot but he's still slower and older and the Texans really can't afford to tie up $12M in cap room on him. The Colts have the cap room and seem to like making bad trades.

That said, if the Cowboys cut Ware, the Texans are a very likely spot for him to end up if Phillips stays in town. Or on whatever team Phillips ends up on.

Phillips is not going to stay in town for anything less than a head coach job I would imagine, and gently caress that after the Colts game

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

HappyHelmet posted:

It has potential, but I'm not really sure how you would handle FA. I don't see how things like UFAs would work. You'd have to try and guess what players will accept before the deals happen, or wait until a player signs with someone then make them available for that amount after the fact for goons to decide on. Either way would have it's problems though.

I'd just designate someone an arbitrator of Free Agency, who'd have a list of asking prices for specific free agents. Participating goons would identify the players they want and send bids to that person, who'd ask for counter-offers and then settle for the highest bid. That'd probably take care of most of it.

The minimum salaries are already set by the CBA, so it'd be a matter of figuring out what the likely asking prices are ahead of time. The Goon Free Market will do the rest to ensure Grimes gets 6 years/$55M.

Intruder posted:

Phillips is not going to stay in town for anything less than a head coach job I would imagine, and gently caress that after the Colts game

I don't know that this is true. Phillips may not be that interested in a head coaching position at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only reason he agreed to even be the interim head coach is because McNair assured him he would be given the opportunity to interview for the full time job

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

The only reason he agreed to even be the interim head coach is because McNair assured him he would be given the opportunity to interview for the full time job

Oh? I hadn't heard that. I know he refused to comment on whether he'd come back as DC based on that killing his shot at a HC interview, but I didn't know about the acceptance of the interim gig.

That said, you could do worse than Wade as HC. I wouldn't call his time in Dallas a huge failure and you guys aren't going to trade your future for Roy Williams so it could work out with a good OC maybe?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't think Wade sticks around in Houston, but what if he went somewhere like Washington where they already use a 3-4?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh? I hadn't heard that. I know he refused to comment on whether he'd come back as DC based on that killing his shot at a HC interview, but I didn't know about the acceptance of the interim gig.

That said, you could do worse than Wade as HC. I wouldn't call his time in Dallas a huge failure and you guys aren't going to trade your future for Roy Williams so it could work out with a good OC maybe?

Well this is going based on sports radio, but its hosts not callers so at least its people with some level of access. But yes supposedly Wade wouldn't be the interim coach unless promised a shot at the job

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The Colts and the Browns strike me as the only two 3-4 teams that could currently take on Ware's contract, but I haven't looked at the moves most teams would make yet. The Colts are the type of playoff team that might see Ware as one of the last pieces of a puzzle or insurance for an aging Mathis (note: I am not saying that this is correct) and could toss a mid-round pick to the Cowboys for Ware (though less than a 2nd might not happen if the team overvalues Ware, whose contract is rough for the team). Cleveland isn't in the right spot and the Skins, while not hard up against the cap, can't afford to spend that much on Ware.

E: That said, the Cowboys could also just go full retard and keep or restructure Ware, crushing themselves under his cap hit and ruining their chances to re-sign Bryant in 2015.

VVV D'oh! Meant to say Mathis

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 17, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Freeney is a Charger now, also didn't the Colts tie up most of that cap space they had?

e: As for the Skins, they have a nice combo already with Orakpo/Kerrigan

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

AAA DOLFAN posted:

God this just signifies how important the draft is. Those prices are insane. Locking up grimes long term will be impossible if that's what top cornerbacks get paid

Everything I have seen and read suggests he isn't going to stay. He said on a radio show he only wanted a one year deal with the Dolphins so he could show he was back to top form after his injury, so he is going to the highest bidder, and its likely going to be Oakland since they will have a poo poo ton of money to spend next year.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Carr's decent, but he's probably overpaid. Same with Scandrick, who's a decent nickel/slot CB (but a bad #2).

The Cowboys will cut Parnell (1.5), Cost (1.5), Bernadeau (1.4), Durant (1.2), Carter (1.0) and Orton (0.9) in the offseason to make cap room, then they'll restructure Carr and Romo and possibly Lee to create another 8-15M, and then they'll have to do something about Ware. Their best bet is to trade Ware to save $7.4M and free up room in 2014. Anything they can get for him is a plus, but the trade partner list is limited given the cap hit he'd incur with a $12.25M base salary. Based on currente commitments and system fit, the most likely trade partner is Indianapolis.

After that, the Cowboys will have to address their defense in the draft.

I have a few questions/comment.

1. How is much Free due? $3.5 mil again? If that's the case, do you think they'd keep Parnell over Free? Free's played better this year but I don't see much of a drop-off between the two and I'd rather keep the younger (and cheaper) player.

2. I don't see them cutting Carter. He had a pretty good season last year before his injury, and although he's been benched twice this season he's a clear upgrade over the Ernie Sims and Kyle Bosworths of the world. He's still on his rookie contract and it seems like the savings would be negligible over whoever has to replace him.

3. Do these numbers reflect the Scandrick extension that happened a few days ago? They added some non-guaranteed years to the back of his deal and reduced his cap number over the next few seasons in exchange for guaranteeing some of his pay for injury.

Also, to anyone else looking at the Cowboys salary cap you have to remember that they intentionally structure contracts for key players to be restructured. Romo, Carr, Scandrick, and Witten all have money that can be moved around to massage the cap. Austin will probably be a June 6th cut to spread the dead money over the next two seasons. Ware will need to be traded but I highly doubt this happens because of Jerry.

That being said it's not like the Cowboys are in an enviable position with regards to the cap and they have certainly screwed themselves more often than not. The Austin, Ratliff and Carr contracts were bad (Carr was necessary only because of poor drafting) and they whiffed on Spencer and Hatcher by not locking them up sooner.

Edit: Wade is not a good head coach. He might be if you keep him out of the draft room or blame his poor drafts on Jerry Jones (but they were better under Parcells and Garrett, so...) but you could do a lot better.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Everything I have seen and read suggests he isn't going to stay. He said on a radio show he only wanted a one year deal with the Dolphins so he could show he was back to top form after his injury, so he is going to the highest bidder, and its likely going to be Oakland since they will have a poo poo ton of money to spend next year.

That was in response to Miami offering him a three year deal. His wife (his agent and cake designer as well) apparently is enamored with the Miami lifestyle and has a great relationship with the team and staff.

Maybe we can keep him for 3 years 24 million 14 guarantahahahahaha there's no way Oakland doesn't pay him 10 per

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bortles has pretty sweet pocket presence and a hot girlfriend. Top 10 I say

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Cowboys don't have the best receiving group in the NFL. They have a fantastic receiver and a bunch of mediocre receivers, and an inconsistent rookie with potential. They have Bryant, they have Witten, and maybe eventually Terrence Williams will become something good.

That does lead to a good segue though which is... wide receiver in the draft/FA. The only two notable free agents at wide receiver this year are both big question marks in Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin (who I suspect is going to be snatched by KC). Last year's draft had a WR class that was deep but did not feature any superstar talents. How does this year's class compare? I know Marquise Lee had the tough injury at USC. Sammy Watkins disappeared off my radar because of Clemson vanishing from the national spotlight. And Mike Evans caught so many jump balls with little separation that it's hard to evaluate him, but there's no way he runs a great 40 does he? I just don't see the straight line speed for a WR that A&M constantly chucks it 25-30 yards down the field to.

I said that the cowboys have one of the best receiving corps, not the best. Maybe 5th best in the NFL.

This wide receiver draft looks awesome to me but I'm sort of a layman. I think Evans' penchant for the jump ball has more to do with Manziel than it does with his speed. Lee does have some injury concerns but he still played well at the end of the year. Guy scares me though. Small with an injury history is too much risk in my mind. I haven't heard a ton about Watkins either except that he's the top prospect. I think he's just pretty well-rounded overall.

Outside of the top three the class is still deep. Real quality talent should be able to be had throughout the first three rounds. Jordan Matthews and Davante Adams(if he declares) stick out to me as guys who could become elite wide receivers in the NFL. Both are 6'3 with good hands and decent route running. Matthews is a guy who Would play more inside but both he and Adams could theoretically help you stretch the field. Adams knows to meet the ball at its highest point and is insane when it comes to YAC. Even outside those you have Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Brandon Coleman, Donte Montcrieff and others who all have the potential to blow up at the next level. I think this WR class is awesome.

Wouldn't bother me any if the Ravens took two receivers early.

Also, Decker is a FA this year if I'm not mistaken.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 17, 2013

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Look at every team struggling with the cap due to grandfathered-in old rookie wage scale contracts. Too bad all your first round picks didn't bust like Oaklands so you're still on the hook while Oakland gets a clean slate :smug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

Freeney is a Charger now, also didn't the Colts tie up most of that cap space they had?

The Colts spent a lot of what they had available last off season, but I seem to recall that very little of it was long term or would hurt them going into next season. For reference, this site's numbers seem to be pretty accurate, and it has the Colts having $38~ million in cap space this off season, which seems about right (The Raiders are going to buy everything :psyduck:).

As for the idea of them going after Ware, I know I personally wouldn't want them to give up anything more than a 5th (Maybe a 4th) for someone like him, since presumably he'd be better than Erik Walden, and they've already tossed away their 1st for 2.9 YPC, but I don't have a clue how their mid/late round pick situation looks (I think the Colts have done the most trades in the league the last year or two) and they've got enough other needs that they could focus on...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Anything more than a conditional 5th or 6th would be too much for Ware at his age and salary at this point

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The league overvalues draft picks so that is probably true. Trading Boldin for 6th is maybe the dumbest thing the Ravens ever did.

E: I'm sorry that's ridiculous. This team gave Deion Sanders one of his last pay days and drafted Kyle Boller.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The league overvalues draft picks so that is probably true. Trading Boldin for 6th is maybe the dumbest thing the Ravens ever did.

E: I'm sorry that's ridiculous. This team gave Deion Sanders one of his last pay days and drafted Kyle Boller.

They did that for contract reasons. The sixth was nice because they probably didn't want to sign him to long term anything and they got something in return.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I know why they did it. I just still think it was the wrong decision.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 17, 2013

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My god Indy is this good and has that much room.

Plus no first round pick to weigh them down!!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Wade is a good candidate for the Packers DC job. Rumor is Capers is going to retire wink wink. Ted Thompson is friends and connected to his family from his Oiler playing days.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Look at every team struggling with the cap due to grandfathered-in old rookie wage scale contracts. Too bad all your first round picks didn't bust like Oaklands so you're still on the hook while Oakland gets a clean slate :smug:

Well, except for Huff's $6 mil in dead money to play for the Broncos.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hand Row posted:

Wade is a good candidate for the Packers DC job. Rumor is Capers is going to retire wink wink. Ted Thompson is friends and connected to his family from his Oiler playing days.

I would be quite happy with Wade as DC, but I don't see why he'd take another DC job. Is he tired of being a head coach?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Brannock posted:

I would be quite happy with Wade as DC, but I don't see why he'd take another DC job. Is he tired of being a head coach?

He has been a head coach three times, who is going to hire him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Knightmere posted:

Well, except for Huff's $6 mil in dead money to play for the Broncos.

6 mil to have Michael Huff play for a division opponent is money well spent.

This may be a dumb question but does any NFL team release their draftboard to the public, say a year or two after?
I can see why they wouldn't with the way teams covet any information but it would be really neat to see which franchise valued who where.
For instance Brian Billick is on record saying that Jamarcus Russel was number one on the Ravens board that year. Funny when Baltimore's FO is viewed as exemplary and Oakland's was seen as retarded.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2013

• Locked thread