Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I've never played Lords of Waterdeep before the iOS version and after a few games I really like it.

It's not as punishing as Agricola, it offers more meaningful choices than Stone Age, but it still has the sense of accomplishment I have playing the cardboard version of Pillars of the Earth. I'm always a sucker for secret goals too. It's just a really well done worker placement game.

The iOS version obviously stays very true to the cardboard, and I'm not sure if that's really a help or hindrance (never having played it outside of iOS and all). I know some people don't like a game to be changed around in appearance for iOS (see: Agricola) and while the interface here suffers a bit for being true to cardboard (I prefer to play zoomed right out), if you're one of those "IT MUST BE A LITERAL TRANSLATION" people, you'll be fine. It's cool that the board changes from day to night and has birds and stuff on it though. The game also highlights things for you which is nice. Personally I'll never complain if an iOS or computer translation of a game takes advantage of what you can do do on that platform without hurting the experience.

Highly recommended if anybody is on the fence. 10 cubes out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
My wife and I really like the physical version of Lords of Waterdeep. I would have the iOS version by now if my only iOS device wasn't a first gen iPad that runs like garbage. Playdek really needs to start porting their games to android.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

InfiniteZero posted:

I've never played Lords of Waterdeep before the iOS version and after a few games I really like it.

It's not as punishing as Agricola, it offers more meaningful choices than Stone Age, but it still has the sense of accomplishment I have playing the cardboard version of Pillars of the Earth. I'm always a sucker for secret goals too. It's just a really well done worker placement game.

The iOS version obviously stays very true to the cardboard, and I'm not sure if that's really a help or hindrance (never having played it outside of iOS and all). I know some people don't like a game to be changed around in appearance for iOS (see: Agricola) and while the interface here suffers a bit for being true to cardboard (I prefer to play zoomed right out), if you're one of those "IT MUST BE A LITERAL TRANSLATION" people, you'll be fine. It's cool that the board changes from day to night and has birds and stuff on it though. The game also highlights things for you which is nice. Personally I'll never complain if an iOS or computer translation of a game takes advantage of what you can do do on that platform without hurting the experience.

Highly recommended if anybody is on the fence. 10 cubes out of 10.

I grabbed LoW this morning, but I only had time to burn through the tutorial. It seemed to be a lot of fun solely based on that, but I'm looking forward to digging in further this weekend.

Unrelated, but is there a more viable way to win in a 5-person game in Le Havre besides either bee-lining toward the Luxury Ship or building a fleet and shipping stuff? The only other way I've won so far was through a Hunting Lodge/Steakhouse combination, but I just got trounced trying to become a Brick Barron--but maybe it's just not a viable strategy in a 5-player game since it takes so long to get resources...

In general, that's my biggest complaint about Le Havre. Still fun, though. I'm always trying out new strategies, so hopefully I can find a few more that work.

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 22, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lords of Waterdeep marks the first time I've thought ill of my trusty old iPad 2. It runs fine, but not having a high DPI screen makes it hurt to look at zoomed out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Caylus is like the "big boy" version of Waterdeep. A lot more depth, a lot more complicated. Not better or worse, but if Waterdeep gets stale you could try Caylus. The theme isn't quite as polished though.

However it still renders in 960 on the iPhone.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Caylus is like the "big boy" version of Waterdeep. A lot more depth, a lot more complicated. Not better or worse, but if Waterdeep gets stale you could try Caylus. The theme isn't quite as polished though.

However it still renders in 960 on the iPhone.

You neglected to mention that it's probably the driest game ever made.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I didn't find it that way. That and Agricola are probably my favorite games.

If you want something super eye-candy and thematic though, I could see where you'd think that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alright, as nobody has signed up for the Carcassonne tournament in a few days I'm going to assume that most interested people have done so by now.

There's currently 12 people signed up, but it would be lovely and make my inner OCD happy if we could get to 16 so there's no byes needed. I've set a participant cap at 16, but whether or not that gets hit I'll probably pull the lever and start this rolling on Friday or Saturday.

If you're interested and haven't done so, there's still time to sign up!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

TACD posted:

Alright, as nobody has signed up for the Carcassonne tournament in a few days I'm going to assume that most interested people have done so by now.

There's currently 12 people signed up, but it would be lovely and make my inner OCD happy if we could get to 16 so there's no byes needed. I've set a participant cap at 16, but whether or not that gets hit I'll probably pull the lever and start this rolling on Friday or Saturday.

I didn't even KNOW! I'm in now.

Also, what up with the Ascension Tourney, or Cuties Round 2 - I think some of you are slackers!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TACD posted:

Edit: nevermind, just read the link. I'm in.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 27, 2013

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

tonytheshoes posted:

Unrelated, but is there a more viable way to win in a 5-person game in Le Havre besides either bee-lining toward the Luxury Ship or building a fleet and shipping stuff? The only other way I've won so far was through a Hunting Lodge/Steakhouse combination, but I just got trounced trying to become a Brick Barron--but maybe it's just not a viable strategy in a 5-player game since it takes so long to get resources...

In general, that's my biggest complaint about Le Havre. Still fun, though. I'm always trying out new strategies, so hopefully I can find a few more that work.

I don't know about a 5-person, but generally speaking, playing efficiently is the most important part of Le Havre, more then any particular strategy. This thread has some nice thoughts on overall strategies and efficiency. Honestly though, my best suggestion is just don't play with 5 players. 3 is the sweet spot for Le Havre.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Edit: Never mind, I had to change my GameCenter name but I ended up making it work.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 28, 2013

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Pandemic is on sale for $2.99 (down from 6.99). Worth it?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Turambar posted:

Pandemic is on sale for $2.99 (down from 6.99). Worth it?

I bought it this morning and while there is no online play, it's otherwise about everything you could want from a digitized version of Pandemic.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

TACD posted:

We're full, let's roll!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

TACD posted:

Aww balls, I just saw this and it's already full. Am I gonna need to wait for the next tourney?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Aww balls, I just saw this and it's already full. Am I gonna need to wait for the next tourney?

Sign-up as an alternate, and then the site will let the tournament director swap you in for the first no-show.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MickRaider posted:

We're full, let's roll!
I've been adding the remaining people now in my friends list and have discovered that you cannot search your friends by nickname in iOS 7. Maddening, and hopefully not the case on OS X, but either way I'll sort this out and get us going tomorrow.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Lost Cities is on sale today if anyone does not have it yet.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

thegreatcodfish posted:

Lost Cities is on sale today if anyone does not have it yet.

So are Pandemic, Eclipse, Caylus and Neuroshima Hex. Army of Frogs is free.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TACD posted:

I've been adding the remaining people now in my friends list and have discovered that you cannot search your friends by nickname in iOS 7. Maddening, and hopefully not the case on OS X, but either way I'll sort this out and get us going tomorrow.

As far as I know, you can send a friend request to either an e-mail address or a nickname in Game Center.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
This might be a stupid question but what is the difference between Neuroshima Hex and Neuroshima Hex Puzzle?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

X_ThePerfect posted:

This might be a stupid question but what is the difference between Neuroshima Hex and Neuroshima Hex Puzzle?

Neuroshima Hex is a straight "port" of the physical board game; Neuroshima Hex Puzzle is basically a series of solitaire scenarios that can help teach you the rules of the game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Incidentally, Puzzle is a lot more fun than fighting with the online multiplayer in the original.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Max22 posted:

As far as I know, you can send a friend request to either an e-mail address or a nickname in Game Center.
What I meant was, it's impossible for me to search by nickname on the iPad to check if somebody is already in my friends list. Luckily this hasn't been stripped out of the Mac interface yet; just waiting on responses from four people so I can get their ELO rank and do the seeding.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:siren: Tournament is go :siren:

I never got GC responses from couchlife or Quickpull, so I've put you guys in as lowest seeds rather than wait around.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

TACD posted:

I never got GC responses from couchlife or Quickpull, so I've put you guys in as lowest seeds rather than wait around.

Sweet! Thanks for setting this up, TACD! (I'm in as "DimerHunton".)

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

TACD posted:

I've not received anything on GC.

Edit: I see it now, for some reason I got no notification.

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 1, 2013

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Quickpull posted:

I've not received anything on GC.

Edit: I see it now, for some reason I got no notification.

same here, should be all set either way

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The next Carcassonne expansion is the Princess and the Dragon (eh), but the game is on sale ($7) for the first time in years.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

cbirdsong posted:

The next Carcassonne expansion is the Princess and the Dragon (eh), but the game is on sale ($7) for the first time in years.

And completely worth it. (So glad I got it when it was $5 on the iPhone, and they turned it into an Universal app)

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
iPad Scrabble used to have a companion app for iPhones that functioned as a tile rack while you used the ipad as a board. This was great for playing with friends but it looks like they removed the rack app and the general functionality. Is there Scrabble clone that has such an option?

Are there any other decent board games that use multiple devices with an iPad as a board?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So, it looks like Suburbia popped up on the app store today. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/suburbia/id681966300?mt=8

Anyone had a chance to try it out? I already enjoy the physical game, but it would be nice to have an idea if the app implements it well.

e: Well I pulled the trigger v:shobon:v. Initial impressions are positive. Based on playing one game versus 2 AIs, and three or four of the single player "campaign" levels (exclusive to the app, not included in the physical game), everything seems to run well. Didn't encounter any crashes or bugs, AI played fairly quickly, but I'll reserve judgement on the skill level of the AI until I can play some more games against it. It's hard to judge a tutorial when you already know the rules well, but I think this one, although it gives you a decent idea of how to play the game, could have been just a bit more comprehensive. However, the included in-app rule book isn't just copied directly from the physical game manual like some board game apps do, but has been rewritten specifically for the app. It refers to the interface, cuts out anything that would only be relevant in the physical game, has shortcuts to the different sections, and has a small section at the end with strategy tips.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 13, 2013

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
:siren:Princess & Dragon update for Carcassonne is live. :siren:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

KamikazeJim posted:

Wooo hooo, or wait a minuted I don't see it.

edit: Duh, need to update the app.

porktree fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 17, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

KamikazeJim posted:

SOLD. LET'S DO THIS!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Quarriors! Is apparently also out and according to Pocket Tactics is a disappointing steaming slag. So it goes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eegah posted:

Quarriors! Is apparently also out and according to Pocket Tactics is a disappointing steaming slag. So it goes.

Yeah, that's really too bad. I'm finding that I tend to like lighter, more random games on the iPad a lot more than I do in person. Their flaws don't seem so bad when you can burn through a whole game in ten minutes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If I haven't played Carcossone but once or twice, is it worth starting with the base game or just grabbing all of the expansions and playing like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Bottom Liner posted:

If I haven't played Carcossone but once or twice, is it worth starting with the base game or just grabbing all of the expansions and playing like that?

Yes. Today is the last day of the first sale they've ever run on the base app. Go get it now.

• Locked thread