Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes to which? I was asking if I should start with just the base game or the base AND expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes to which? I was asking if I should start with just the base game or the base AND expansions.
I'd say start with just the base game. Play some rounds against the AI to get a feel for how the game works and to make sure you actually like it.

Are the expansions on sale as well? If you're pretty sure you'll like Carcassonne (everybody does ;) ) you could get them too but I think starting fresh with all expansions in play would just be a confusing mess (with the exception of the River, which is the only one that doesn't add new Meeples and rules).

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, I misread. Well I'd say definitely get the base game today since it's on sale, as mentioned. As for the expansions, you might be best off to add them one at a time (probably in the order of their release) as you learn and internalize the rules changes they incorporate.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

TACD posted:

I'd say start with just the base game. Play some rounds against the AI to get a feel for how the game works and to make sure you actually like it.

This, but don't play solitaire mode yet. The rules are drastically different and will confuse the heck out of you.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Bummey posted:

This, but don't play solitaire mode yet. The rules are drastically different and will confuse the heck out of you.

Good call on the solitaire mode... I actually prefer only using Traders and Builders, but I do occasionally play with all/various combinations of the expansions. I'm looking forward to trying the new one tonight.

That said, the vanilla game is still awesome on its own...

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
GodBacon send me a gamecenter request so we can play our game of carcassonne

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I got the Carc invite but can't see the game. Hopefully when I update the app tonight it will work.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

dishwasherlove posted:

I got the Carc invite but can't see the game. Hopefully when I update the app tonight it will work.

Same here. Really frustrating.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MickRaider posted:

GodBacon send me a gamecenter request so we can play our game of carcassonne

Haha, I should check this more often.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
The I and K decks are now available for Agricola on iOS! I can't wait to play with them, the vanilla decks were getting a bit stale, especially given how much Agricola I play with my friends both digitally and IRL.

Edit: And for only $1 each, too. That's kind of ridiculous, honestly I think they way underpriced them.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 21, 2013

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I'm still getting used to E deck. Maybe I should just jump on them in case they go up in price.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Anony Mouse posted:

The I and K decks are now available for Agricola on iOS! I can't wait to play with them, the vanilla decks were getting a bit stale, especially given how much Agricola I play with my friends both digitally and IRL.

Edit: And for only $1 each, too. That's kind of ridiculous, honestly I think they way underpriced them.

I was steeling myself to spend $2.99/ea on them. $2 for both is a huge bargain given how much variety they add to the game. Here's to hoping that Playdek will eventually bring over some of the expansion decks as well.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Their Facebook page kind of implies mentions that it's a limited Holiday-only price, so grab them while you can. The base game is also on sale for $5, so for $7 you can snag that and both decks. If anyone doesn't have the game yet, now is definitely the time to buy.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Are the promo cards IAP for Ascension worth it or should I just get the expansions? $0.99 each seems like a great deal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get the expansions for sure. The promo cards are fun, but you're not "missing out" if you don't have them.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Always play with promo cards!

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
Hey anyone who has the Carc dragon expansion who I don't already play with I wanna add you and play five person games with you! My name on there (as well as gamecenter) is yourdisappointeddad and I'm pretty sure I already play with most of you, but lemme know if that name isn't familiar to you.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How does Caylus play on the new iPads and iOS 7? I see in-store that it hasn't been updated since July 2012 and worry that it's an abandoned or buggy port.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pmchem posted:

How does Caylus play on the new iPads and iOS 7? I see in-store that it hasn't been updated since July 2012 and worry that it's an abandoned or buggy port.

Seems to work fine on my Air. The online multiplayer sucks balls and always has, but it works great otherwise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TACD posted:

Seems to work fine on my Air. The online multiplayer sucks balls and always has, but it works great otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. Is the local AI challenging for single player games?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pmchem posted:

Thanks for the reply. Is the local AI challenging for single player games?

This is more difficult for me to accurately answer, as I'm far from good at the game. There are four different levels of AI, I haven't played against one in a while though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking for a game of Carc! I have all expansions including the latest.

GC: crumshizzle

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Three questions:

1. Has anyone here played Medieval Merchants? Its a trading simulation game set in the Hanseatic League, supposedly similar to the Anno games. I've been interested in an economics/trading game for a while, but reviews say this one is clunky and rather boring.

2. Which is better: Lords of Waterdeep or Caylus EDIT: Nevermind this one, I read the thread

3. Will playing Catan HD a lot prepare me to school my friends at Game Night?

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 4, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There's a lot of randomness to Catan, so aside from basic strategy, there isn't much to know.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wear a cup when playing Catan with friends, real people tend to get a little dick-punchy when you hose their roads or do a massive trade off of a resource only to Monopoly it back.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

PJOmega posted:

Wear a cup when playing Catan with friends, real people tend to get a little dick-punchy when you hose their roads or do a massive trade off of a resource only to Monopoly it back.

The first game I played I broke the implied house rule to not deploy the robber (dumb rule) and put it in the middle of a brick production center with a couple cities on it. Needless to say, people were ultra pissed and the game devolved into deceptive trading, backstabbing, and other fun stuff. I had already cornered tons of brick when it fell out of production, so people had to trade with me if they wanted any.

I'm good at the diplomacy and trading aspects of the game, but I'm not familiar with the different victory strategies. My chief strategy is to pay close attention to everyone else's resources and make trades based on scarcity, and then use diplomacy to deflect blame to others when people inevitably feel like I'm screwing them. Other than that, I'm a bit lost about what to do and when, so I figured being able to play a quick game whenever would help me figure that out.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The first game I played I broke the implied house rule to not deploy the robber (dumb rule) and put it in the middle of a brick production center with a couple cities on it. Needless to say, people were ultra pissed and the game devolved into deceptive trading, backstabbing, and other fun stuff. I had already cornered tons of brick when it fell out of production, so people had to trade with me if they wanted any.

I'm good at the diplomacy and trading aspects of the game, but I'm not familiar with the different victory strategies. My chief strategy is to pay close attention to everyone else's resources and make trades based on scarcity, and then use diplomacy to deflect blame to others when people inevitably feel like I'm screwing them. Other than that, I'm a bit lost about what to do and when, so I figured being able to play a quick game whenever would help me figure that out.

I understand why some people try to play Catan without the robber, but it's pretty crucial to the game working in my eyes. Moving the robber and stealing a card should be the most common thing you do in the game, and it's the only source of strategy the game really has. Get rid of it an the game is just waiting to see who gets lucky the most. If one player gets well established around some good tiles, without the robber, the other players have no recourse.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quickpull posted:

Get rid of it an the game is just waiting to see who gets lucky the most.

This, sadly, is boardgames to the monopoly crowd.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

This, sadly, is boardgames to the monopoly crowd.

I know it is popular to bash on Monopoly but it isn't in the same luck category as strict roll-move games (Candyland, Shoots & Ladders) where it is 100% luck. Don't get me wrong, Monopoly has a fairly high luck percentage; I'd guess around 50-60%. Though if you play it enough you will consistently see the same people winning.

Edit: Also, unspoken house rules can go gently caress themselves sideways.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

PJOmega posted:

I'd guess around 50-60%.

Whaaaaat?

Go on… :allears:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
A large portion of the hate towards Monopoly are due to two rules which aren't even in the real game: Free Parking money and not using auctions. If you play it right it's a lot faster and not nearly as bad.

It's still bad, of course, but it's not the Destroyer of Worlds pain in the balls that we all think of it as.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Whaaaaat?

Go on… :allears:

Knowing when to buy, when to let it go to auction, when to bid in an auction strictly to drive the price up for the person who actually wants the property, and how to value trades are all big deals which don't exactly have hard and fast rules or ratios because the rest is so utterly random.

Each time around the board gets you $200, which is in no way enough to sustain property buying, rents, chance/community chest, jail fees, and taxes.

Singleton property purchases will take forever/never return your initial investment buying at board price.

The "Get out of jail free" card is a trap; After the first few times around the board the best possible place to be is in jail, as that's 3 turns of guaranteed no rent, all for the cost of (possibly) $50 at the end.

The high price properties between "go to jail" and "go" are high risk/moderate reward properties, as there is a natural dump to the other side of the board right before them ("go to jail") not to mention for the cost of developing a monopoly there you could have developed the whole other side of the board. Also their purchase/development prices are not ratio'd properly compared to the rest of the board until they are highly developed, then they spike ahead of everyone else. However, they are also the unique properties that can spike kill another player with one bad roll.

An actual legit strategy is to develop/undevelop based on your opponent(s)'s position on the board.

That was a bit more than I wanted to write on details on Monopoly. I'll give one last piece of observation.

The majority of the time, the first person out is the person who buys whatever property they land on and treats the game as a genuine roll-and-move game.

All that said, gently caress Monopoly because it is the original "house rules?" familial board game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

People bag on Monopoly because it's a bad game, regardless of if you're using house rules or not. By any modern criteria it's poo poo with hundreds of better options available.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The whole “the only winning strategy is not to play” comes to mind. The fact that it's an actual mechanically enforced strategy in Monopoly is simply astonishing (but then again, it makes sense since it was intended to teach everyone how bad monopolies were, so of course not playing will be a good thing).

In a way, I suppose it's as if Train was transformed into a game where genocide was a good thing…

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I can't wait until there's an iOS version of Terra Mystica because the physical version is expensive as hell and it's basically advanced Catan for serious players. I haven't felt the slightest desire to play Catan since I discovered TM.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The rear end Stooge posted:

I can't wait until there's an iOS version of Terra Mystica because the physical version is expensive as hell and it's basically advanced Catan for serious players. I haven't felt the slightest desire to play Catan since I discovered TM.
I love when people make board game comparisons like this based on the most superficial of similarities. Calling Settlers of Catan similar to Terra Mystica because they both have terrain hex grids and "town" placement is like calling Rummy similar to Magic: The Gathering because they both use decks of cards which you play in front of you on a table.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I just picked up Neuroshima Hex and its the bees knees. Sadly there seems to be about noone who actually plays it.

Anyone care to play sometime? Walkedairplane in game center.

Alternatively: any other similar awesome ports of strategy games of similar styles that actually have an online audience? Carcassonne obviously, but otherwise?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Walked posted:

Sadly there seems to be about noone who actually plays it.

That's because the online mode is completely broken.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, buy Big Daddy games (NHex, Eclipse, others?) for the CPU modes and for pass-and-play. You can try to get away with local multiplayer if you're not taking breaks between turns. Anything more than that is asking their patchwork multiplayer servers to poo poo the bed with your game.

Shame, because the rest of their app is usually so polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool; that makes sense. I'll get some pass and play going then.

Any suggestions for a similarly styled game that might actually have functional online play?

• Locked thread