Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Sorry if I'm being a total idiot, but how do you mod objects in starbound. I'm trying to make the Metal Workstation craftable without a core, but there are two files in the folder with a .frames and .object extension respectively. Is there a straightforward way to access them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Dropping coal directly into your gas tank is kinda dumb, they need to make a proper fuel unit that can be created from anything via a "Mr. Fusion" type console at different conversion rates.

Eg; coal 1:1, wood 5:1, stone 20:1, etc.

As of right now I just trash my stacks of 1000 dirt and I think I would get more of a feeling of return if I could just dump them into a machine even if I only got a 100:1 fuel return on them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ColHannibal posted:

Dropping coal directly into your gas tank is kinda dumb, they need to make a proper fuel unit that can be created from anything via a "Mr. Fusion" type console at different conversion rates.

As of right now I just trash my stacks of 1000 dirt and I think I would get more of a feeling of return if I could just dump them into a machine even if I only got a 100:1 fuel return on them.

Vib Rib's biofuel mod kinda does that to some extent, but extending the idea to other "stackables" would be really neat, I agree.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Does anyone know anything about recolorable objects? I'm trying to make parts on my bug dudes recolorable but they just won't.

I get that they have to be specific colors, like the "body color" part is supposed to be that orange color. That bit works. But I'm digging through all of the files for hair and other separately recolorable bits and they're this tan color. Even when I sample those colors directly they won't work when I boot up Starbound and try and change their colors in the character generator.

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I really want a Dead Space themed planet mod now, complete with necromorphs.

I want my own planet cracker, just destroy the whole planet in order to get any useful resources easily from comfort of my spaceship.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

Damathacus posted:

I want my own planet cracker, just destroy the whole planet in order to get any useful resources easily from comfort of my spaceship.

Combine the planet cracker with the civilization scanning feature; exterminate all non-humans and purify the cosmos.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Does anyone have a decent guide for modding Starbound? I'd like to try my hand at custom items or possibly a custom race, but I don't know where to start.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OwlFancier posted:

http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

Spaceship combat would be frigging boss. It'd be like FTL on steroids, really hope they can put that in. I also like the additions to town building (and environmental hazards) because a challenge and reward for building up a base would add a lot to the game for me.

Spaceship Dungeons is literally all they had to say.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

S.J. posted:

Oh hell yes, I'd totally love to explore a Space Hulk.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Space ship dungeons are obvious. It doesn't take more then an idiot to realize that after porting through the same sectory to about 5 different stars that always having the exact same types of planets to land on are boring. Space junk and macro-asteroids and pirate/friendly ship dungeons are a logical advancement.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Does anyone know anything about recolorable objects? I'm trying to make parts on my bug dudes recolorable but they just won't.

I get that they have to be specific colors, like the "body color" part is supposed to be that orange color. That bit works. But I'm digging through all of the files for hair and other separately recolorable bits and they're this tan color. Even when I sample those colors directly they won't work when I boot up Starbound and try and change their colors in the character generator.

Think I figured it out, I'll make a new post with a how-to if I'm right.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm wondering if all these random monsters is actually a good thing. On the one hand, visually they are all quite distinct, but mechanically so far they've all been pretty interchangeable. Hrm.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Speedball posted:

I'm wondering if all these random monsters is actually a good thing. On the one hand, visually they are all quite distinct, but mechanically so far they've all been pretty interchangeable. Hrm.

Just wait for a monster design overhaul in a few months, this game is so early and in active development I'd be surprised if the monsters remained this simple and samey for very long. Especially if they want to make the monster capturing stuff mean anything other than having some poo poo on your ship that will die in a day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

S.J. posted:

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh god I didn't even think of that...

I so hope they throw in some meat-walled sections for kicks, also genestealer monsters.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Starhawk64 posted:

Terminator Armor please. Thanks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've seen a set of tactical dreadnaught armor modded in, but I didn't save the picture set. It's been done though.

Also I figured out the recolor thing. drat it feels good etc.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Speedball posted:

What you desire is on the way:

Tiy posted:

Monster Generation: Right now, monster parts just have stat boosts, but eventually rolled monster parts will affect their behavior and abilities. For example, monsters with spider legs can climb walls; fiery monsters inflict burning. You might get a burning spider dropping on you from the ceiling. Projectiles may be tied to specifically generated heads. Biome may influence monster part generation.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The meat biome is cool but it would be great to get a complete dungeon out of it with each room being an organ of some kind with a macroscopic immune system trying to purge you.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Trying to mod my game and it isn't working very well.

pre:
items\
  tools\
    beamdrill.beamaxe

recipes\
  starter\
    plain\
      beamdrill.recipe

Game just hangs on the load screen. Tips?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

What's the last little bit of starbound.log?

Also, the merging stuff is not yet in the game, so you do have to create a second, modified player.config for now.

EonBlueApoc
Oct 13, 2006
I play straight up.

the night dad posted:

Combine the planet cracker with the civilization scanning feature; exterminate all non-humans and purify the cosmos.

Planets with civilizations should have some sort of planetary shield. Then you would have to beam down, infiltrate a secure facility to disable it, beam out and THEN purify.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
well if merging isn't in yet that's pretty lame.

code:
Error: Exception caught in Thread Async root loader: AssetException: Could not read variant value /player.config:humanoidTiming
caused by: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("humanoidTiming") in query("humanoidTiming")
  007CC8DE (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:14)
  004ED8CA (C:/starbound/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:259)
  006E8DCC (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:27)
  00530F67 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarAny.hpp:488)
  004DCF7F (C:/starbound/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:160)
  004016D8 (C:/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:302)
  0095162C (C:/starbound/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
  774633AA
  77999EF2
  77999EC5
So yeah I guess I need to have a full config

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I hit the jackpot today

This place if you go to the left has a HUGE 6 floor castle with so many treasure chests, bookshelves, and desks

There are blue prints (Electric Pizza), a rare crown, uncommon swords and hammers, MC Escher painting and more

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Smarmy Coworker posted:

well if merging isn't in yet that's pretty lame.

So yeah I guess I need to have a full config

Yep, looks like it. Just copy/paste the baseline one and tuck your new recipe in somewhere.

You can also use a learnBlueprintsOnPickup stanza on a baseline object if you have issues with the new pattern not being learned.

code:
"learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
    "bonfire"
  ]

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Want to learn how to mod Starbound? Here is a helpful Steam guide to help you get started.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Has Tiy or one of the other devs given us any idea when the net wipe is going to be?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XboxPants posted:

Monster bits

That's going to be awesome.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

ColHannibal posted:

I always thought you'd do exactly that, drop stuff into some universal fuel converter unit which than dumps it into the fuel tank, just without the need of you actually having to move it from one window to another. Never thought we'd run our ships on coal power.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Has Tiy or one of the other devs given us any idea when the net wipe is going to be?

Last time it was a possibility, the Starbound twitter sent out a tweet saying that the next update might wipe characters, even though it didn't, just to pre-warn people and brace them for it just in case.

I can't see why that practice wouldn't resume.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fred Dawes posted:

Want to learn how to mod Starbound? Here is a helpful Steam guide to help you get started.

I'm also getting the hang of this whole "adding an entire race" bit so I should be able to answer some questions of anyone has any.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

I always thought you'd do exactly that, drop stuff into some universal fuel converter unit which than dumps it into the fuel tank, just without the need of you actually having to move it from one window to another. Never thought we'd run our ships on coal power.

Something like that would be totally doable (at least for materials), but goddamn would it be time-consuming to update literally every material object. :suicide:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm also getting the hang of this whole "adding an entire race" bit so I should be able to answer some questions of anyone has any.

Have you figured out how to add outposts of your modded species, and if so whether you can tie it to biome? We really need a snow-adapted species!

(and i want to try to make one oh god)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Speaking of snow, I found a snow biome on a jungle planet. Is that supposed to happen? It had the green jungley background and a snowy pine tree filled foreground.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

The meat biome is cool but it would be great to get a complete dungeon out of it with each room being an organ of some kind with a macroscopic immune system trying to purge you.

Ooh, this could be a boss fight. A meat biome where you have to dig your way to the vital organs and mine them to kill it, all the while you're being attacked by antibody monsters.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Speaking of snow, I found a snow biome on a jungle planet. Is that supposed to happen? It had the green jungley background and a snowy pine tree filled foreground.

Maybe you found it's polar ice cap? :v:

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
How the hell are people finding decent weapons? I'm in T4 right now and I have fully upgraded racial armor but my weapons don't do poo poo damage to anything. I'm at the point where I'm trying to summon and beat the Jelly boss but I can't even damage him. The only guns I've been able to find were from a random planet that had an Avian airship gun merchant and they don't seem to do much damage at all. I've been digging around like crazy looking for bosses and dungeons but haven't found any. Are there certain planet types they are more likely to spawn in or something? Maybe I've just been unlucky.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They mentioned they were playing around with the biome system last changelog. Not sure if it's the intended result, but a few people in this thread have run into same thing.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I had something similar, found a snow biome on a desert planet :psyduck:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

dog kisser posted:

Have you figured out how to add outposts of your modded species, and if so whether you can tie it to biome? We really need a snow-adapted species!

Yes, you can do this. The Toxic Worlds mod guy has microdungeon spawning figured out (at least to some degree), use his mod for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Well, there ya' go ^^^

dog kisser posted:

I haven't messed with that area yet (I will have to eventually, though) but I have an idea on how it works. It's the same way you make dropships and other dungeon stuff, though I'm not sure you even can tie stuff to biomes at the moment.

You can tie them to planets, though, I assume, since I don't generally see Igloos anywhere but Snow Planets.

• Locked thread