Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

The police in Germany warned the owners of the website because they did not stop paedophile activity on the site[2]. Even if it is only pretend, sexual abuse of children is illegal in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Noah Webster, Jr. (October 16, 1758 – May 28, 1843), was a lexicographer, textbook pioneer, English-language spelling reformer, political writer, editor, and prolific author. He has been called the "Father of American Scholarship and Education". His blue-backed speller books taught five generations of American children how to spell and read, secularizing their education.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Jizz-wailers, players of a genre of music in the Star Wars fictional universe; the Max Rebo Band is the most popular one playing this genre.[1]

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Dogecoin (code: DOGE, not to be confused with DGC, the currency code for DigitalCoin), is a Bitcoin-derived cryptocurrency that is based on the 'doge' internet phenomenon, making it the first currency to be based upon an internet meme.[1][2]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

Jizz-wailers, players of a genre of music in the Star Wars fictional universe; the Max Rebo Band is the most popular one playing this genre.[1]
A jizz-wailer was a term for musicians who specialized in playing jizz songs. Evar Orbus and His Galactic Jizz-Wailers was the forerunner to the Max Rebo Band.[1]

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
In Japan, men with comb overs are called "bar code men" (バーコード人), referring to the similarity between the striations caused by the comb and the UPC on products. The "barcode style" is called "bākōdo na kamigata" (バーコードな髪型).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I'm glad at least one person enjoyed his performance

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

LP97S posted:

In Japan, men with comb overs are called "bar code men" (バーコード人), referring to the similarity between the striations caused by the comb and the UPC on products. The "barcode style" is called "bākōdo na kamigata" (バーコードな髪型).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

prefect posted:

mega trap springing here but man this is what really sucks about all the star wars books (i had a lot of them when i was 12). part of what was super cool about star wars to me as a kid was that the whole place seemed like this giant galaxy of random poo poo going on, like we were just seeing one tiny part of it. han solo was some low-rent smuggler no one had heard of at a nowhere space truck stop, etc. darth vader was clearly a mover and shaker but luke skywalker was a bored nobody. but the idiot authors who wrote the star wars books decided that no, everything seen in the movies must be part of some great legend, that is somehow important to the FATE OF THE UNIVERSE. the "max rebo band" is the bunch of dudes in cheap looking rubber suits who play music in the background of jabba the hutt's palace. as far as anyone should be concerned they're a lovely lounge music cover band that would be the kind of thing playing in a mobster hideout. but nooooo some sperg wrote a book about them and now they are THE MOST POPULAR BAND IN THE GALAXY. everything in the whole star wars expanded universe suffers from this problem.

/sperg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
it's not just the expanded universe -- george lucas made three movies about how darth vader was actually space jesus

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sagebrush posted:

mega trap springing here but man this is what really sucks about all the star wars books (i had a lot of them when i was 12). part of what was super cool about star wars to me as a kid was that the whole place seemed like this giant galaxy of random poo poo going on, like we were just seeing one tiny part of it. han solo was some low-rent smuggler no one had heard of at a nowhere space truck stop, etc. darth vader was clearly a mover and shaker but luke skywalker was a bored nobody. but the idiot authors who wrote the star wars books decided that no, everything seen in the movies must be part of some great legend, that is somehow important to the FATE OF THE UNIVERSE. the "max rebo band" is the bunch of dudes in cheap looking rubber suits who play music in the background of jabba the hutt's palace. as far as anyone should be concerned they're a lovely lounge music cover band that would be the kind of thing playing in a mobster hideout. but nooooo some sperg wrote a book about them and now they are THE MOST POPULAR BAND IN THE GALAXY. everything in the whole star wars expanded universe suffers from this problem.

/sperg

thats sort of legit and the reason that extended universe anything sucks for epic scifi stories

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The lyrics for the song tell of the singer meeting a "devil woman" and she giving him love. The chorus of the song includes the song's famous stutter and speaks of her looking at him with big brown eyes and [saying] 'You ain't seen nothin' yet. B-, b-, b-, baby, you just ain't seen na, na, nothin yet. Here's somethin' that you're never gonna forget. B-, b-, b-, baby, you just ain't seen na, na, nothin yet.'

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sagebrush posted:

/sperg

reminder that the "ice cream maker guy" who appeared as an extra for all of 5 seconds in empire strikes back now has a huge back story and a loving action figure: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

does the strormtroper who wangs his head on a door opening on the original Death Star have a name yet?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

axolotl farmer posted:

does the strormtroper who wangs his head on a door opening on the original Death Star have a name yet?

no but they apparently made jango fett wham his head against the door in episode ii to show that stormtroopers were his clones.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
it's like poetry... it rhymes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"Hopefully it'll work."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

/sperg

everything outside the original trilogy makes the star wars galaxy feel so tiny. there are billions of planets and trillions of aliens, yet every single important thing that happens relates back to the same dozen people. han solo and chewie are in every loving book. they turn up at random space stations and save the day. every drat character in every book has been on board the millennium falcon. they can't let one character do his bit and them leave the story forever, he has to be the most badass whatever in the galaxy. if luke buys a loving coffee then its served to him by an ex-imperial bounty hunter who defected to the rebels and then retired to the planet Xygsutlu and bought a roadside coffee hut, and theres a whole book about his badass pre-coffe adventures

and don't forget the endless force powers jerkoff. luke - the most powerful jedi for generations can do a few parlour tricks and sense when daddy is nearby. but in the expanded universe force users can blow up ships in space, make stars collapse, raise the dead... :jerkbag:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sweevo posted:

and don't forget the endless force powers jerkoff. luke - the most powerful jedi for generations can do a few parlour tricks and sense when daddy is nearby. but in the expanded universe force users can blow up ships in space, make stars collapse, raise the dead... :jerkbag:

see also electric judgment, which is force lightning except totally not evil because it's being used by good guys

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Art's
not so much worthless as why would you name a company Visual Art's

RZApublican posted:

see also electric judgment, which is force lightning except totally not evil because it's being used by good guys
electric judgment sounds like the totalitarian version of sith lightning

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

obv. because his name is art and... he learns visually? idk

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RZApublican posted:

lol

quote:

Luke probably was able to use this power because of his long years of meditation on the light side. Jacen said very clearly that it did not kill enemies, but it sapped their strength and willpower...

It was believed that Grand Master Luke Skywalker used this power, or a variation of it, aboard Shimrra's Citadel during the battle against Shimrra Jamaane in an attempt to save his niece and nephew from the Slayers; his powerful version sent green sparks coruscating over the body of a Slayer, instantly killing him and causing his body to convulse.[5]

okay, then

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Rodian_with_jacket

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

every word of this makes me think it's deep-cover satire

Wookiepedia posted:

A Rodian male lived in the galaxy during the finale decades of the Galactic Republic. The Rodian was present on the Republic capital planet of Coruscant around 22 BBY, the first year of an intergalactic war known as the Clone Wars. The Rodian could have been found walking the streets of Coruscant's bowels, and was once walking among a crowd that included the Jedi padawan Anakin Skywalker.

Biography

During the final decades of the Galactic Republic, a Rodian male was born into the galaxy.[1] By 22 BBY, the galaxy broke into an intergalactic conflict known as the Clone Wars. The war was set between the Republic and a number of disillusioned politicians who had receded their worlds from the Republic, joining together as the Confederacy of Independent Systems.[2] The Rodian was present on the Republic capital planet of Coruscant during the first year of the war. The Rodian could be found walking the streets of Coruscant along with many of the world's other denizens, including several Koorivar who resided on the planet[1] illegally due to their homeworld's alliance with the Confederacy.[3]

Also among the Rodian's crowd was the Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker. Skywalker had been traversing the streets by himself, but became wary of someone following him. Through a window's reflection he eyed up the crowd until Skywalker sighted his stalker. Skywalker stayed with the Rodian's crowd as he found an alley to hide in, and from there he waited to ambush the stalker. When the hooded stalker was close enough, Skywalker lunged from his alley and captured the stalker. The Rodian, however, took no notice of the event and kept on walking, never even glancing in the alley's direction.[1]

Personality and traits

The Rodian was able to walk, yet was rather sullen-looking around 22 BBY. The Rodian, like most of his species,[4] had green skin. His skin was wrinkled and mottled. The Rodian also had yellow eyes that had very pronounced pupils. The Rodian utilized a gray jacket and brown pants.[1]

Behind the scenes

The Rodian first appeared as a minor background figure in Genndy Tartakovsky's season three of Star Wars: Clone Wars, a cartoon that ran from November 7, 2003 to March 25, 2005. The cartoon aired on Cartoon Network. The Rodian's exact appearance was in Clone Wars Chapter 21, appearing during the scene that took place in the Coruscant streets. The character has achieved some minor fame from humor articles that exist on other websites, including the infamous Darthipedia.

or at least that's what it was on darthipedia, the good folks at wookiepedia just played it straight for whatever reason by writing five paragraphs that say the same thing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Toilet Clam posted:

obv. because his name is art and... he learns visually? idk

Music Brands for Visual Art's:

fripSide
I've Sound

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Music Brands for Visual Art's:

fripSide

robert no

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

they did the songs for some real good shows

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

they also have:

● Cure Records

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

take that talifans, jedi are literally hitler

Oh the Travissty

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
:rock: Visual Art's Electric Judgement :rock:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Shibboleths in computing culture [edit]

Shibboleths in computing culture include the following:

• Computer software hobbyists and hackers may refer to their work as programming or coding, while others in salaried positions may refer to their job as software development or software engineering. Both major alternatives carry negative connotations to some members of opposing groups and their associates. (The debate centers on the level of complexity that should be implied to people who do not have the skills or time to evaluate for themselves.)
• The spelling of the Perl programming language is occasionally used as a shibboleth; the all-uppercase spelling PERL (as if it were an acronym) is often considered incorrect. (Sometimes, a further distinction between "Perl" (the language) and "perl" (the interpreter for the language) is made.) See also the naming of Perl. In contrast, BASIC, APL, and COBOL language names should all be upper-case since they are acronyms.
• The use of hacker as a professional descriptive, complimentary term[26] as opposed to its mainstream media pejorative use in the context of criminal activity.
• Network Neutrality is used by internet activists and netizens to describe a basic functioning principle of the Internet. Meanwhile those with political ties referencing network neutrality use the term in reference to legislation that would enforce network neutrality.
• HTML5 must be spelled with no space, which is different from the previous versions. A spelling that was confusing even for the experts during a time,[27] and remains not well understood in the computing community.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Shibboleths in fandom [edit]

• Within science fiction fandom, especially among older members of organised fandom, the use of the term "sci-fi" is often regarded as being at least faintly derogatory. As such, sf is far more commonly met as an abbreviation of science fiction within fannish circles.[28]
• Outside the anime fandom, the word anime is often pronounced or written incorrectly, for example pronouncing it as "eh-nim" or "ah-nim" (as two syllables), spelling it as animé (with the intention of indicating the last vowel shouldn't be silent, though people in the fandom generally learned this early on), or in the case of agglutinative languages, appending incorrect suffixes to it due to their limited exposure to the word. (Such as in Hungarian, writing "anime-okat" or "animékat" instead of the grammatically and phonetically correct "animéket", indicating the plural and possessive case of "anime".) Considering these, most fans of anime could discern their peers not being fans with good certainty.
• The term "geek" often has a negative connotation unless you're in the performing arts in school ("drama geek", "choir geek", "band geek"), an avid user and fan of computers software and hardware in general ("computer geek") or a dedicated fan of computer, tabletop, or live action role playing or strategy games ("gamer geek"), in which case it is seen as denoting that one is not only a member of a given community, but a dedicated one at that. Even among those who do not use the term it is generally recognized and accepted as it can often indicate that the individual using the term is an older (usually 30+ years) and longtime member of that given community.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
to be fair, people who spell perl with all caps are severely wrong

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

to be fair, people who spell perl with all caps are severely wrong
PC or MAC? :haw:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
pathologically eclectic rubbish lister :iamafag:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sham bam bamina! posted:

• Outside the anime fandom, the word anime is often pronounced or written incorrectly, for example pronouncing it as "eh-nim" or "ah-nim" (as two syllables), spelling it as animé (with the intention of indicating the last vowel shouldn't be silent, though people in the fandom generally learned this early on), or in the case of agglutinative languages, appending incorrect suffixes to it due to their limited exposure to the word. (Such as in Hungarian, writing "anime-okat" or "animékat" instead of the grammatically and phonetically correct "animéket", indicating the plural and possessive case of "anime".) Considering these, most fans of anime could discern their peers not being fans with good certainty.

everything about this is perfect

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

its actually written アニメ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jimbo_Wales/Funny_pictures