Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Legitimate, professional painters use source images all the time. This is a super dumb criticism and no one is going to be able to sue him for it.

It looks like a photoshop to me, and I'm pretty sure you can get sued for applying some photoshop filters to a stock image and selling it as original work. Unless Zimmerman got the rights to use the image, which I doubt given how broke and desperate he is.

If that is an actual painting I'm impressed at Zimmerman's ability to paint in the manner of a photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It looks like a photoshop to me, and I'm pretty sure you can get sued for applying some photoshop filters to a stock image and selling it as original work. Unless Zimmerman got the rights to use the image, which I doubt given how broke and desperate he is.

If that is an actual painting I'm impressed at Zimmerman's ability to paint in the manner of a photoshop.

Photoshop painting and photoshop filters are entirely different things.

Also:

Can't we just keep criticizing him because he murdered a child because of his skin color and not for whatever dumb poo poo he is doing as a hobby?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Limbaugh closed out his program today with a 'Liberals are the real _______'. Today it was the term 'corporatist' which according to Limbaugh is the new term for fascist. You see, Liberals are the party of Wall Street and :unsmigghh:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh closed out his program today with a 'Liberals are the real _______'. Today it was the term 'corporatist' which according to Limbaugh is the new term for fascist. You see, Liberals are the party of Wall Street and :unsmigghh:

American capitalism is the greatest economic system God ever created and corporations create jobs for the working class and also Wall Street is all evil Democrats.

The fun part is Republicans AND Democrats are the party of Wall Street!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Photoshop painting and photoshop filters are entirely different things.

Also:

Can't we just keep criticizing him because he murdered a child because of his skin color and not for whatever dumb poo poo he is doing as a hobby?

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from; however, I think that auctioning this (oil?) painting is Zimmerman selling out. I liked him much better when he was a street artist painting the sidewalks of suburbia with the blood of minority children.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sure, but it's a bizarre thing and thus intereresting to talk about. I can't tell if Zimmerman is an amateur painter or if he's the kind of guy who would lie about it and get a .psd printed onto a canvas in a weak attempt to repay his crushing legal bills.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

I'm perfectly capable of ragging George Zimmerman the Murderer and George Zimmerman the lovely "Painter".

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

From the GBS thread.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 17, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sure, but it's a bizarre thing and thus intereresting to talk about. I can't tell if Zimmerman is an amateur painter or if he's the kind of guy who would lie about it and get a .psd printed onto a canvas in a weak attempt to repay his crushing legal bills.

I agree that it's bizarre and interesting. It was just dumb people were jumping on him for using a source image.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

kik2dagroin posted:

Hey look the old 'fascist corporatism is the same as walmart corporatism' meme gets new life, except intentionally misleading this time instead of accidentally.

Hrm yes I wonder whether the child murdering, spouse abusing racist would stoop to such a level.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

I agree that it's bizarre and interesting. It was just dumb people were jumping on him for using a source image.

Yeah, we need to cut the molesting, murdering, wife beating, girlfriend choking artist a break.

icantfindaname posted:

Hey look the old 'fascist corporatism is the same as walmart corporatism' meme gets new life, except intentionally misleading this time instead of accidentally.

Dunno why they'd want to mislead considering Walmart Corporatism is arguably worse.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yeah, we need to cut the molesting, murdering, wife beating, girlfriend choking artist a break.

It has nothing to do with who he is and everything to do with it being a stupid loving criticism entirely independently. It's hard to call out conservatives for exaggerating stupid poo poo about people they don't like if you're doing the same thing in the thread.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

It has nothing to do with who he is and everything to do with it being a stupid loving criticism entirely independently. It's hard to call out conservatives for exaggerating stupid poo poo about people they don't like if you're doing the same thing in the thread.

The people they don't like generally aren't murderers doing their best to milk their crime for money and eek their way into social consciousness and fame.

George Zimmerman has to paint the modern equivalent of the Mona Lisa and donate the proceeds from its sale to the NAACP before I'd feel like he's worth defending over anything. If someone wants to make a big deal about him wiping his rear end from back to front instead of front to back, god bless em, because gently caress George Zimmerman.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It's a pretty legit criticism seeing how it's just a different color with some Courier text on it. Derivative works actually need to be derivative, versus 2 seconds in Photoshop and some words.

I think that the GWB paintings are goofy, but he actually painted them and deserves at least respect for that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Legitimate, professional painters use source images all the time.

Of course they do, but they don't just take a source image, copy the whole thing, change some colors and add some words and call it a day. This is basically the textbook definition of a derivative work.

I agree this isn't the appropriate place for this though, if there's a copyright law thread or something maybe we could take this there?

e:fb

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

I think that the GWB paintings are goofy, but he actually painted them and deserves at least respect for that.

Not to mention all the interesting psychological connotations of Bush's art, Zimmerman seems to be trying to copy that attempt at humanity, but he produced some lazy right wing fever dream. It seems interesting that both George Zimmerman and Tagg Romney were conveniently on the scene to help people in car accidents, and now this lame attempt at humility - possibly the work of an image-rehabilitation PR firm?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's a difference between 'source image' as inspiration to create a derivative work and 'source image' as in you photoshopped a copyrighted image file and sold the output on ebay. If Zimmerman actually painted that image then I doubt it's illegal, but if he did what I suspect and simply photoshopped it to hell and printed it on a canvas then that would be illegal.

Not like he'll be prosecuted but it's funny that you can add copyright violation to his rap sheet after domestic abuse, murder (acquitted), assault, brandishing etc.

McDowell posted:

Not to mention all the interesting psychological connotations of Bush's art, Zimmerman seems to be trying to copy that attempt at humanity, but he produced some lazy right wing fever dream.

This also, it's funny because the image itself is hideously cliched.

code:

GOD

ONE          NATION

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

...possibly the work of an image-rehabilitation PR firm?

I doubt it, but if it was then he's throwing money away. The only way that George Zimmerman could rehabilitate his image with the non-blood gargling psychopath crowd is to light himself on fire and throw himself off of a bridge.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Zeroisanumber posted:

I doubt it, but if it was then he's throwing money away. The only way that George Zimmerman could rehabilitate his image with the non-blood gargling psychopath crowd is to light himself on fire and throw himself off of a bridge.

...so, performance art?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quiggy stardust posted:

The best part of this is:

:allears:

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Change the font to comic sans and ebay that. Etsy, maybe?

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
Not to derail too much but what did Tagg do to end up lumped in with Zimmerman in this context?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Filth posted:

Not to derail too much but what did Tagg do to end up lumped in with Zimmerman in this context?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/29/josh-romney-s-awkward-car-crash-selfie.html ?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Get on Ebay immediately and troll sell this

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's a stock photo, he could have paid the fee to use it, stick to calling him lazy and a murderer.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Phone posted:

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from; however, I think that auctioning this (oil?) painting is Zimmerman selling out. I liked him much better when he was a street artist painting the sidewalks of suburbia with the blood of minority children.

:stare:

Yikes.

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 17, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Get on Ebay immediately and troll sell this

Done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370966596573

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

He's being a Hipster, ala all the 20-something Bush fans. :thejoke:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Apparently, the war on Christmas is over

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/413047957584240640

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Not a lawyer, but this looks especially hilarious because while the legal status of Zimmerman's art trends towards dubious, the parody is quite possibly protected by fair use.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Not a lawyer, but this looks especially hilarious because while the legal status of Zimmerman's art trends towards dubious, the parody is quite possibly protected by fair use.

Got a dollar and a quarter going to abused women and children so far. Can we reach tree fitty?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

We've always been at war with christmas

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I was wrong about the photo earlier and based on a couple high profile cases he could be sued if shutterstock gives enough of a poo poo, which they probably don't.

Also even if he paid for a license the way he used it is not covered. Although there is no way he paid.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

So I was wrong about the photo earlier and based on a couple high profile cases he could be sued if shutterstock gives enough of a poo poo, which they probably don't.

You'd be surprised - A whole lot of stock image libraries (Getty especially) litigate over their copyrights like crazy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

You'd be surprised - A whole lot of stock image libraries (Getty especially) litigate over their copyrights like crazy.

Well, we can only hope.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Well, we can only hope.

They really do. One of my designers decided to forget to tell me that he didnt pay for a $2 image he used from Getty.

And then I got a letter from them demanding about $600 for it.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

There's already 13 bids on it, hope whoever listed that is ready to print up a legit copy :D

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Terrorists win.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
To me the more pertinent artistic question that seems to be, "why paint from an image when an original is so accessible?"

Surely a true patriot would have Old Glory close at hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

deoju posted:

To me the more pertinent artistic question that seems to be, "why paint from an image when an original is so accessible?"

Surely a true patriot would have Old Glory close at hand...

As if a really real true patriot would even need to see a flag to paint it. It just flows from their soul, where it was put by the Lord God Jesus himself.