Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Bazanga posted:

How the hell are people finding decent weapons? I'm in T4 right now and I have fully upgraded racial armor but my weapons don't do poo poo damage to anything. I'm at the point where I'm trying to summon and beat the Jelly boss but I can't even damage him. The only guns I've been able to find were from a random planet that had an Avian airship gun merchant and they don't seem to do much damage at all. I've been digging around like crazy looking for bosses and dungeons but haven't found any. Are there certain planet types they are more likely to spawn in or something? Maybe I've just been unlucky.

I only use random weapons in tier one. After that I just craft two one-handed swords at each tier and blender everything to death. Have you been crafting the new weapons at each tier? Are those doing poo poo damage for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
Does anyone know why it's taking so long for a minimap mod to appear? Please excuse my blatant computer illiteracy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

stradiwari posted:

Does anyone know why it's taking so long for a minimap mod to appear? Please excuse my blatant computer illiteracy.

Right now mods are pretty much limited to modified versions of things that already exist - so, a new kind of armor or playable race or tree or biome or status effect would be simple to create. Creating entirely new features, however, is really freakin' hard. That's why.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ Well, there ya' go ^^^

I haven't messed with that area yet (I will have to eventually, though) but I have an idea on how it works. It's the same way you make dropships and other dungeon stuff, though I'm not sure you even can tie stuff to biomes at the moment.

You can tie them to planets, though, I assume, since I don't generally see Igloos anywhere but Snow Planets.

As someone who has messed a lot with biomes, you sort of can and your sort of can't.

The long story is that the game has two ways of spawning buildings and structures. The first way is via dungeon whitelisting within the planetgen.config file. The other way is via spawning parameters within the biome file itself, that's where you see things like the igloos and even the pods/chests.

The issue comes in how the game handles said objects. It goes dungeons -> surface generation -> stuff within the planetgen file. If you try to create overly complex and/or large dungeons using the handlers in the planetgen file, it will have some very weird issues. It won't generate buildings that are too tall, since they'll be outside of the chunks you currently have loaded causing the game to basically go nope not gonna do it. This also means if you try to create larger, combined structures or towns that it'll not generate correctly or it'll refuse to generate at all.

If you want to make smaller buildings you can, but right now you can't tie larger buildings or dungeons to a single biome. Which is part of the modding issue I ran into and am hoping they fix soon.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Note to future self: mining mech mod is amazing but removes any tiny semblance of progression from the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FZeroRacer posted:

As someone who has messed a lot with biomes, you sort of can and your sort of can't.

The long story is that the game has two ways of spawning buildings and structures. The first way is via dungeon whitelisting within the planetgen.config file. The other way is via spawning parameters within the biome file itself, that's where you see things like the igloos and even the pods/chests.

The issue comes in how the game handles said objects. It goes dungeons -> surface generation -> stuff within the planetgen file. If you try to create overly complex and/or large dungeons using the handlers in the planetgen file, it will have some very weird issues. It won't generate buildings that are too tall, since they'll be outside of the chunks you currently have loaded causing the game to basically go nope not gonna do it. This also means if you try to create larger, combined structures or towns that it'll not generate correctly or it'll refuse to generate at all.

If you want to make smaller buildings you can, but right now you can't tie larger buildings or dungeons to a single biome. Which is part of the modding issue I ran into and am hoping they fix soon.

Thanks for the explanation! I know that the toxic world guy had only put in some very small structures, and he was having trouble adding larger ones, but I didn't know why.

Why can't you create a larger dungeon and add it through the whitelisting method, like you mention? Is it not possible to tie one of those dungeons to a specific biome, only specific planet types?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Thanks for the explanation! I know that the toxic world guy had only put in some very small structures, and he was having trouble adding larger ones, but I didn't know why.

Why can't you create a larger dungeon and add it through the whitelisting method, like you mention? Is it not possible to tie one of those dungeons to a specific biome, only specific planet types?

Whitelisting for now is only across all planets. That's why you can see some oddities like Apex cities on the Moon for example. So it's either you allow your dungeon to potentially spawn on every planet, or none of them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What happens if you try to connect to a multiplayer server when you have mods installed?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GruntyThrst posted:

Note to future self: mining mech mod is amazing but removes any tiny semblance of progression from the game.

Doesn't it have an incredibly minor recipe? The mining mech is something that I can envision being in the real game but way up in the tech path, like tier 8-9 level poo poo. Big gobs of Plutonium Rods, Rubium Bars, and two Diamond Drills, etc.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kyrosiris posted:

So in you guys' opinion, what would be a reasonable set of materials to make bombs? I was thinking of making another mod that adds a recipe for bombs to the crafting table (or maybe the anvil?) once you acquire a bomb for the first time.

Uranium/Plutonium rod and steel :black101:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Man what's the deal with unlocking new sectors in MP and not being carried over to SP? Is there a fix?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man what's the deal with unlocking new sectors in MP and not being carried over to SP? Is there a fix?

The upgrades don't go away when you use them in MP, so just use them again in SP? Actually mine seemed to carry over fine without having to use again.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

peepsalot posted:

The upgrades don't go away when you use them in MP, so just use them again in SP? Actually mine seemed to carry over fine without having to use again.

The metal upgrades aren't used up, but the sector ones are.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

peepsalot posted:

This. The rods are, at the moment, loving worthless.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Running into an interesting error. It's super vague and stupid, but I think I know when it's triggering.

You can mess around with my custom race in the character creator, but when you go to start the game as them, Starbound crashes and gives me one of these bad boys:

It saves the character though, so when you go back into the game, the character you made is present and you can start with them just fine. Go to the dropship, gets tools, beam down, quests, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

peepsalot posted:

If I understood the mechanics behind how zbomb.projectile and bombexplosion.projectile worked, I'd consider making a second tier of bombs that are even more powerful and use exactly that.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Malek posted:

This. The rods are, at the moment, loving worthless.

Yeah, I was kinda sad when I realized that plutonium, uranium and solarium rods were literally half as efficient for fuel purposes. I'm sure they'll correct that though. It would be cool to see more uses for interesting materials like that though, maybe make some badass lasers out of solarium or something.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Running into an interesting error. It's super vague and stupid, but I think I know when it's triggering.

You can mess around with my custom race in the character creator, but when you go to start the game as them, Starbound crashes and gives me one of these bad boys:

It saves the character though, so when you go back into the game, the character you made is present and you can start with them just fine. Go to the dropship, gets tools, beam down, quests, etc.

The windows error dialogs are basically garbage, you want to look through the crashlog. Post it here if you can't parse it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So I was gifted this game by a friend, and it's way more fun than I'd assumed, and the art style is great, and it has tons of personality.

But uh...the monsters are really annoying to fight, spelunking is weirdly unrewarding considering how much space there is underground on each planet, and I'm not sure that the whole interplanetary adventure part of the game really meshes with the space Hatchet part.

I dunno' it's weird, like, I really am enjoying the game, I love my twee plantboy, Cutedancer, I love the monster generator, exploring is fun, I even like the mining/crafting and associated gameplay mechanics. It's just, there are parts of each of those things that don't feel right.

Like, seriously, why introduce the matter manipulator, and give the player their own ship right off the bat, only to pretty much forget either exist?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You know, I've read I should just ignore the popup and read the crash log before, but I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't just do that. Maybe I'm fuckin' dumb.

Apparently the problem is it can't load the intro cinematic, the ones that don't even work yet. But it's looking for it! Thanks.

E: Aaaand it works now, cool beans.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ernie Muppari posted:

Like, seriously, why introduce the matter manipulator, and give the player their own ship right off the bat, only to pretty much forget either exist?

I honestly feel like when the story and cutscenes are better fleshed out, this will feel a lot better.

If not, there are a host of mods that replace all pickaxes with better MMs, etc. :shobon:

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

What happens if you try to connect to a multiplayer server when you have mods installed?

Depends on the mod. There's no client-server authentication so you can have whatever mods you want and the server won't care, although the game will behave weirdly.

Planetary mods will work for you, and people who show up on your planet after it's created. But they won't see the planet's type or any unique asset changes.

Race/armor etc mods will be completely invisible to them and/or have a generic look assigned.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kyrosiris posted:

I honestly feel like when the story and cutscenes are better fleshed out, this will feel a lot better.

If not, there are a host of mods that replace all pickaxes with better MMs, etc. :shobon:

My hope is that they just have the MM be some sad old busted-rear end consumer model that's taxed by assembling Hykea furniture, and that you use video game logic to combine high level tools with schematics to upgrade its functionality. Also it'd be cool if your ship could land on planets, and make more sense if you started the game landed/grounded.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Got a couple of hairstyles and the color customization fixed and working.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

No lie, that's pretty awesome. Maybe pitch it to Chucklefish and make it official?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That'd be sweet but I don't think they'd do anything like that. I'd be happy just to get these dudes up to the standard of the other races at this point. Tiles are going to be a bitch, furniture also.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I found a doctor spawner. I put it down and came back later to find the spawner is gone and Dr. Ape selling me drugs. That's great and all, but if hypothetically I wanted to move Dr. Ape to a different planet, would killing him bring the spawner back, or is he a permanent resident?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

No lie, that's pretty awesome. Maybe pitch it to Chucklefish and make it official?

Well, it's not exactly the same as hair styles, saying "hey, let us add that to the game!" is quite a bit harder for races. There still needs to be dialog written for them for all the objects in the game, unique furniture and blocks, new dungeon types for them, dialog for all the other races for their items, the spaceship, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ernie Muppari posted:

My hope is that they just have the MM be some sad old busted-rear end consumer model that's taxed by assembling Hykea furniture, and that you use video game logic to combine high level tools with schematics to upgrade its functionality. Also it'd be cool if your ship could land on planets, and make more sense if you started the game landed/grounded.

Why take the risk of landing when you have a perfectly serviceable Star Trek style beaming thingy?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bazanga posted:

How the hell are people finding decent weapons? I'm in T4 right now and I have fully upgraded racial armor but my weapons don't do poo poo damage to anything. I'm at the point where I'm trying to summon and beat the Jelly boss but I can't even damage him. The only guns I've been able to find were from a random planet that had an Avian airship gun merchant and they don't seem to do much damage at all. I've been digging around like crazy looking for bosses and dungeons but haven't found any. Are there certain planet types they are more likely to spawn in or something? Maybe I've just been unlucky.

I cheesed all the bosses by summoning them on the avian ships, the pirates do most of the work.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why take the risk of landing when you have a perfectly serviceable Star Trek style beaming thingy?

Because you're a refugee or whatever and your ship is all hosed up and you had to do a crash-landing. That's why it helps make things make more sense - you're starting at caveman level because your ship and all your technology is all hosed up/broken/out of energy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

XboxPants posted:

Because you're a refugee or whatever and your ship is all hosed up and you had to do a crash-landing. That's why it helps make things make more sense - you're starting at caveman level because your ship and all your technology is all hosed up/broken/out of energy.

I'm not sure I really care all that much about realism after taking one look at the giant middle finger to physics that is the average mine shaft in this game :effort:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mzbundifund posted:

So I found a doctor spawner. I put it down and came back later to find the spawner is gone and Dr. Ape selling me drugs. That's great and all, but if hypothetically I wanted to move Dr. Ape to a different planet, would killing him bring the spawner back, or is he a permanent resident?

He's a permanent resident. Once you kill him, he's gone :(

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just found something arguably more fun than playing the game itself right now. Joined a random server and fooled around for a bit and before I was getting ready to go, decided to just shout that the wipe was coming. Entire server lost it, it was total anarchy. People behaving like it had just been announced that an asteroid was about to hit the earth in five minutes. Very amusing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Its not like having a working car gives you the means to construct a jackhammer from scratch.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The armors still need some adjustment. I just made it to the Gamma Sector, and even in the gold armor that's unlocked right away, most mobs kill me in 3 to 4 hits and I haven't been lucky enough tofind a decent ranged weapon at all.

On the plus side, I've got a guitar with which my Hyolotl can play the song of her people.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

The armors still need some adjustment. I just made it to the Gamma Sector, and even in the gold armor that's unlocked right away, most mobs kill me in 3 to 4 hits and I haven't been lucky enough tofind a decent ranged weapon at all.

On the plus side, I've got a guitar with which my Hyolotl can play the song of her people.

That actually sounds reasonable compared to the all-or-nothing it was a week ago. If you don't have a gun or a shield one of your best options is a slow two-handed weapon. Timing a big swing can produce enough knockback that you can come out of many encounters wholly unscathed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Reiley posted:

That actually sounds reasonable compared to the all-or-nothing it was a week ago. If you don't have a gun or a shield one of your best options is a slow two-handed weapon. Timing a big swing can produce enough knockback that you can come out of many encounters wholly unscathed.

Problem is that the game's been oddly laggy and jumpy for me at times, meaning any kind of timing is impossible most of the time.

And it wasn't like this a week ago, I can only thing it's some kind of bug.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
2-Handers are the way to go, unless you're really slick with the shield.

I REALLY wish that spears worked like they did in Terraria though, they're a bit too difficult right now, and when you stack on the odd disadvantage you have by being on higher ground, it gets tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

Its not like having a working car gives you the means to construct a jackhammer from scratch.

Right, and I agree with that side of the debate, actually. I'm fine with things as they are, but a lot of people aren't and I think it's a reasonable suggestion. You'd have to be able to get your spaceship space-borne again real quick, though, because it'd suck to be trapped on a lovely starter planet. (though I'm pretty sure Chucklefish have said they're working to make starter planets more consistently usable)

• Locked thread