Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

You're making a really dumb point there, especially considering there are about as many female characters so far as male (maybe more? I haven't counted them but there's a lot of them).

Also you know, its on a children's channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Seems to be mostly gender balanced yeah, and I'm not sure if the People of the Land are going to go that route before verifying a number of important facts first.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Davincie posted:

You're making a really dumb point there, especially considering there are about as many female characters so far as male (maybe more? I haven't counted them but there's a lot of them).

Also you know, its on a children's channel.

Well, obviously there are about as many female characters in the fiction, that's not really surprising is it? Apparently (thank god) the anime has taken some freedoms in depicting certain scenes because it's on a children's channel before - It was mentioned in one of the 4chan questionnaires posted before.

But yeah, let's stop that conversation there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Well one shiny object that's been brought up is a pretty fundamental one in any rpg: the magic bag. While it's not an item any of the main characters need, anyone without one would certainly desire it and since quests aren't a mechanical thing anymore, who knows how they'll be obtained. Also, where did the PotL get them in the first place?.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Do the People of the Land even know that Adventurers can respawn infinitely if killed?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I'm kind of glad that the show isn't really focussing much on people trying to get back home. I find it much more interesting seeing how people are trying to adapt to living in the world they now find themselves stuck in. I'm sure later on it'll come up again but honestly I'd be happy if the entire show just continued as it did with the various internal politics and Players learning how to cope/dealing with issues that arise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Am I the only one who got the impression that the king was going to try to marry his granddaughter off to cement the deal? On one hand that might seem kind of haremy but on the other it's a very feudal lord thing to do, especially since as discussed earlier the PotL don't have much bargaining power against immortal superhumans. It also ties very closely into the "caught up in their politics" danger that Shiroe mentioned.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Clarste posted:

Am I the only one who got the impression that the king was going to try to marry his granddaughter off to cement the deal? On one hand that might seem kind of haremy but on the other it's a very feudal lord thing to do, especially since as discussed earlier the PotL don't have much bargaining power against immortal superhumans. It also ties very closely into the "caught up in their politics" danger that Shiroe mentioned.

I got the feeling it was more like one of the Players would fall in love with her and then the show would deal with issues around that.

Never thought about the whole 'cementing the deal' aspect of it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I think Shiroe is looking into that, but for the most part people are still in the "wtf" stage of coping with what happened. They literally have no clue why or how.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

veekie posted:

I think Shiroe is looking into that, but for the most part people are still in the "wtf" stage of coping with what happened. They literally have no clue why or how.

Yeah, I think last episode very briefly brought it up and then quickly brushed it aside. I don't know how I'd feel if it was never explained at all but I think it makes a far better story at the moment just leaving it as-is.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Clarste posted:

Am I the only one who got the impression that the king was going to try to marry his granddaughter off to cement the deal?

I dunno if that's how it's going to happen, but I imagine the Adventurers falling in love with the People of the Land will probably be explored in some capacity at some point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are we 100% sure the princess is actually one of the People of the Land? That "Princess Rosegarden" subclass is still out there.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Paracelsus posted:

Are we 100% sure the princess is actually one of the People of the Land? That "Princess Rosegarden" subclass is still out there.

The author said that to change subclasses you usually have to talk to an NPC of that subclass. Most likely the People of the Land represent all the subclasses somewhere.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

That's the sense I got too. It was a pretty normal thing to marry off your daughter to forge diplomatic relationships way back in the Middle Ages of Europe.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What I'd actually want to know is, did the PotL experience anything special at the Apocalypse? Were there Adventurers in their world before that?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

nielsm posted:

What I'd actually want to know is, did the PotL experience anything special at the Apocalypse? Were there Adventurers in their world before that?

From the West Wind Brigade manga, the only reference to it was that they see adventurers as some strange creatures that do not emote or interact like 'normal' people - expressionless, do not talk etc etc. Then suddenly one day the adventurers seem to have gained humanity.

Also, the latest WWB chapter shows another perspective of the PK guild encounter we saw in the anime. Soujiro has some murderous expressions :stare:.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Weissritter posted:

From the West Wind Brigade manga, the only reference to it was that they see adventurers as some strange creatures that do not emote or interact like 'normal' people - expressionless, do not talk etc etc. Then suddenly one day the adventurers seem to have gained humanity.

That's really interesting. So the reality that the PotL existed in was some bizarre existence that was connected directly to the world of Elder Tale, and in Log Horizon the two have somehow merged.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

That's really interesting. So the reality that the PotL existed in was some bizarre existence that was connected directly to the world of Elder Tale, and in Log Horizon the two have somehow merged.

That is the vibe I am getting. Probably is another factor why the PotL are interested in involving them now that they act like proper people rather than some robots from the PotL's view.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a pretty hilarious explanation. The world of Elder Tale must have been a surreal place for the PotL before the apocalypse.

"Daddy, why is there someone dancing on the mailbox in their underwear all day?"
"I don't know dear...I just...don't know."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 17, 2013

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well, you could assume that (manga spoiler that was just mentioned) the NPCs somehow got "fake" memories through the apocalypse that were recorded from the game world in some way to make sense of their existence and make them "functional". That doesn't rule out the world being created at the moment of the apocalypse Just wanted to nitpick a little. :shrug:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Dessel posted:

Well, you could assume that (manga spoiler that was just mentioned) the NPCs somehow got "fake" memories through the apocalypse that were recorded from the game world in some way to make sense of their existence and make them "functional". That doesn't rule out the world being created at the moment of the apocalypse Just wanted to nitpick a little. :shrug:

As evidence in favor of this interpretation, the West Wind Brigade manga has the lander thinking that her vision suddenly got clearer and the air felt heavier just as the apocalypse happened.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

None of the manga or light novels have been translated yet, have they? I just watched all 11 episodes today after a recommendation and did a quick search, only to find the novels on Amazon.jp. I might import the novels anyway, but have little experience doing so.

So far I'm really enjoying the more gamey lifestyle change story as opposed to the stories from past 'trapped in an MMO' series.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AngstPenguin posted:

None of the manga or light novels have been translated yet, have they? I just watched all 11 episodes today after a recommendation and did a quick search, only to find the novels on Amazon.jp. I might import the novels anyway, but have little experience doing so.

So far I'm really enjoying the more gamey lifestyle change story as opposed to the stories from past 'trapped in an MMO' series.

There are fan translations for several volumes of the light novels and at least two manga series. I'm not sure what the forum rules are on linking light novel translations, but it was pretty easy to find with a little googling.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Bremen posted:

There are fan translations for several volumes of the light novels and at least two manga series. I'm not sure what the forum rules are on linking light novel translations, but it was pretty easy to find with a little googling.

That's all I needed to know, thanks! Hopefully it gets popular enough to warrant non-fan stuff, it seems most of my anime watching friends knew about the show when I brought it up and said they have been enjoying it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dessel posted:

So a sort of "Last Thursdayism" type of creation?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They have light novel translations up on Baka-tsuki.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
That PK group that Shiroe and co beat up early on are now running a ramen stand. I hope they show up in the rest of the episodes.

The anime has been so much better than the light novels. I really wish this gets a second season.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

kazakirinyancat posted:

That PK group that Shiroe and co beat up early on are now running a ramen stand. I hope they show up in the rest of the episodes.

The anime has been so much better than the light novels. I really wish this gets a second season.

NHK already slated 25 episodes for Log Horizon so technically it has a second season. If you're talking about further than that, who knows?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

kazakirinyancat posted:

They've showed up several times throughout the show, usually as the "demonstration" of whatever social effect people are talking about at the time.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

A jargogle posted:

They've showed up several times throughout the show, usually as the "demonstration" of whatever social effect people are talking about at the time.

Easily influenced by the current mood huh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's a better depiction of low-level antagonists and bullies than the multitude of street thugs that populate anime cities and alleyways. Because they're still human, and influenced by their upbringing and environment and mimic the behaviours of their peers. Like in the Index/Railgun series, a city filled with people with superpowers, there are people without superpowers in every street corner trying to mug the former. Where do they come from? Is there a lab somewhere cloning youngish men, implanting violent memories, grafting on yankee hairstyles, and paralysing their facial muscles into an ugly scowl?

Isn't Japan one of the safest places in the world? Crime is one of the least of their concerns. Like in Death Note, I'm convinced that Light's fixation with japanese criminals (that, by the way, were uniformly ugly and therefore distinguished from the general populace) was yet another display of his madness.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Phobophilia posted:

It's a better depiction of low-level antagonists and bullies than the multitude of street thugs that populate anime cities and alleyways. Because they're still human, and influenced by their upbringing and environment and mimic the behaviours of their peers. Like in the Index/Railgun series, a city filled with people with superpowers, there are people without superpowers in every street corner trying to mug the former. Where do they come from? Is there a lab somewhere cloning youngish men, implanting violent memories, grafting on yankee hairstyles, and paralysing their facial muscles into an ugly scowl?

Given that setting, the bolded might be more likely than you'd think. But otherwise true. They were PK'ing because everyone was doing it, because they had nothing better to do, and it's profitable rather than for any sadistic joy. Seriously twisted people are going to be rare.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Phobophilia posted:

Where do they come from? Is there a lab somewhere cloning youngish men, implanting violent memories, grafting on yankee hairstyles, and paralysing their facial muscles into an ugly scowl?

This would be a great manga, by the way.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

This would be a great manga, by the way.

Akumetsu?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Isn't Japan one of the safest places in the world? Crime is one of the least of their concerns. Like in Death Note, I'm convinced that Light's fixation with japanese criminals (that, by the way, were uniformly ugly and therefore distinguished from the general populace) was yet another display of his madness.

It's like a lot of Chinese martial arts movies; if you took them at face value, you'd think you literally couldn't walk down the high streets of Shanghai without being attacked by at least four Kung Fu experts, and maybe a child with an umbrella in peak hours.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
Well well... Good episode, but slower than the rest.
Not much political advancement besides the obvious "adventurers >>> potl". Crusty definitely has a hidden agenda, question is if it's pro-Round Table or for more selfish reasons...

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm kinda worried about him now. That dark look on his face when he spotted the princess?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Conot posted:

I'm kinda worried about him now. That dark look on his face when he spotted the princess?

Yeah, that wasn't a good sign. Even if it is the natural consequence of MMO players getting trapped in a game-world, though, I'm not sure I could deal with a calculating anime bishonen villain named Crusty.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Even though we hardly know anything about Crusty, I kind of doubt he'd be doing any serious backstabbing towards the rest of the gang. The show has the kind of a feel it'll make us suspect it, but then it's totally dandy dudes I did this to benefit us all/Shiroe, did it to tease Shiroe, or x member of our party has crush on the princess. I could be wrong though, but, I dunno, gut feeling?

edit: I honestly felt terrible for Akatsuki, with the kids mistaking him for a child, her being forced to watch Shiroe dance with what is to some degree her bully. Also, she looked terrible in that dress. I think they're going to a bit too far with the "She looks like a child because she's so short-shtick.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man I could not possibly care less about the newbies and their inability to grasp MMO combat basics please just stick to the politics. :sigh:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 21, 2013

• Locked thread