Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's like the deck of the yacht that I'll never own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I don't get the fascination with the wood backing. It looks stupid and it's probably not worth the extra $100 neckbeard tax v:shobon:v

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's like the deck of the yacht that I'll never own.

OK Google, navigate to the Seychelles

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

I don't get the fascination with the wood backing. It looks stupid and it's probably not worth the extra $100 neckbeard tax v:shobon:v

It's better than bad - it's good! :haw:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spincube posted:

It's better than bad - it's good! :haw:

BLAMMO!

Someone photoshop a Moto X in this. :v:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I think this is the right thread for this. I'm going to France for 5 months in the spring. I have a t-mobile htc one. I have an unlock code for it. I'm looking at plans and the best I can find are from Free Mobile. I know that I won't get LTE, but am I going to get 3g with decent speeds? For reference, the tmobile one has the following bands: 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band I (2100);UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100);UMTS: Band V (850). The iphone 5 on the free mobile website has the following bands: 800 MHz / 850 MHz / 900 MHz / 1800 MHz / 1900 MHz / 2100 MHz / 2600 MHz.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That wood is going to be nasty after a few months (fingerprint oils, etc).

But hey, looks good new.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hotsauce posted:

That wood is going to be nasty after a few months (fingerprint oils, etc).

But hey, looks good new.

It's probably treated :ssh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I dunno man, I heard this 'wood' stuff's been around a while, maybe they have some ideas on that front

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Genderfluid posted:

I think this is the right thread for this. I'm going to France for 5 months in the spring. I have a t-mobile htc one. I have an unlock code for it. I'm looking at plans and the best I can find are from Free Mobile. I know that I won't get LTE, but am I going to get 3g with decent speeds? For reference, the tmobile one has the following bands: 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band I (2100);UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100);UMTS: Band V (850). The iphone 5 on the free mobile website has the following bands: 800 MHz / 850 MHz / 900 MHz / 1800 MHz / 1900 MHz / 2100 MHz / 2600 MHz.

You *should* get HSDPA on Free Mobile with your phone. I'd e-mail the company to be sure.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
crossposting from SH/SC..

I'm trying to find a way to pump out android phones with an 'image', I get about ~10 a week, and in the past with blackberries the enterprise activation basically was a breeze compared to how convoluted my setup is now. I have a backlog of about 50 phones that I want to have setup in a very specific way that i've refined over time based on feedback from field users.. the setup for each device is ~15-20 mins including system updates download + installs, app downloads and icon placement/grouping. The devices are Galaxy S4's/Note 3's.

My question is: is there an easy way to produce an image of the layout im currently working with? I'm android savvy and am familiar with rooting, my manager has even given me the greenlight to root devices but I'd like to save myself from support in the future in case something goes haywire. I've also considered setting up a nova launcher backup + restore but that would defeat the purpose of touchwiz especially on the note 3. Not sure if this is a tall order, but I imagine someone already has this figured out but googling did not yield any relevant results...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
This was originally posted in SHSC because it's a computer issue, but was told it needed to be posted here for the reason it involves a phone. As such, I'm meerly copying and pasting the text from that thread.

Problem description: Connecting a Motorola Droid Ultra results in coming up as a mobile device and not a USB flash drive limiting my ability to use the device effectively

Attempted fixes: Connected phone to computer, installed software. Nothing worked. Googled problem. Found no solutions. Tried online chat support. Was sent to phone operated tech support. Phone guy got a work around working with the USB debugger but only being able to access the internal storage as a mobile device and not as a USB drive resulting in my want of pulling hair out of head.

Recent changes: No. I have just purchased this phone.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.

System specs: I built this thing back in the day and have no idea what board I have or anything nor how to find out, however here is what I can tell you:
Windows XP SP3
AMD Athlon II X3 435
2.90 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Additional information: If you're wondering if I can access the device, it is yes. However, many of my programs I use to interact with things like phones and tablets and stuff use drive names for their file transfers. Having it set up this way, as a "mobile device" prevents from just saying "Yes, transfer these 500 mp3s to e:\music\" or what have you which would make my life easier.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Instead of the broken glass cuts from Nexus 4s, we can have splinters from the backs of Moto Xs.

:dance:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Android doesn't support USB mass storage mode anymore, you're out of luck.

Also, the MAXX is a much better phone than the Ultra, you really should consider switching it out if you're still in the return period.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ja_raul posted:

I'm trying to find a way to pump out android phones with an 'image', I get about ~10 a week, and in the past with blackberries the enterprise activation basically was a breeze compared to how convoluted my setup is now. I have a backlog of about 50 phones that I want to have setup in a very specific way that i've refined over time based on feedback from field users.
Unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, take a nandroid backup of a phone that is ready to go. Then repeat on the new phones (with restore instead of backup, obviously). You'll need to keep a separate image for each different device type your support. That's the fastest you'll get.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Skunkrocker posted:

This was originally posted in SHSC because it's a computer issue, but was told it needed to be posted here for the reason it involves a phone. As such, I'm meerly copying and pasting the text from that thread.

Problem description: Connecting a Motorola Droid Ultra results in coming up as a mobile device and not a USB flash drive limiting my ability to use the device effectively

Attempted fixes: Connected phone to computer, installed software. Nothing worked. Googled problem. Found no solutions. Tried online chat support. Was sent to phone operated tech support. Phone guy got a work around working with the USB debugger but only being able to access the internal storage as a mobile device and not as a USB drive resulting in my want of pulling hair out of head.

Recent changes: No. I have just purchased this phone.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.

System specs: I built this thing back in the day and have no idea what board I have or anything nor how to find out, however here is what I can tell you:
Windows XP SP3
AMD Athlon II X3 435
2.90 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Additional information: If you're wondering if I can access the device, it is yes. However, many of my programs I use to interact with things like phones and tablets and stuff use drive names for their file transfers. Having it set up this way, as a "mobile device" prevents from just saying "Yes, transfer these 500 mp3s to e:\music\" or what have you which would make my life easier.

Try the app Airdroid. At least that way you can access the file system.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Wow the buttons of the official "bumper" case for the Nexus 5 are horrible. There's no clickyness or give to them. You just put pressure on them and hope the press registers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I am back with another Galaxy S3 question.

So with all that space I cleared up, I decided to download the discography of Iron Maiden (~4GB of music). It downloaded, and then almost all my other music on my phone was gone. Does anyone know what happened and how to fix it? Thanks!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Wow the buttons of the official "bumper" case for the Nexus 5 are horrible. There's no clickyness or give to them. You just put pressure on them and hope the press registers.

The bumper for the Maxx is the same. I ended up returning it and using the difference towards an Otterbox Commuter which I sorta love.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

caveman thug poo poo posted:

The bumper for the Maxx is the same. I ended up returning it and using the difference towards an Otterbox Commuter which I sorta love.

If anyone else is looking for a low profile case for the MAXX, I picked up the Incipio feather for it and it's pretty drat fantastic.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally the app switcher list won't be quite up to date. If I hit the button twice to close an re-open it, it's fine. I currently on CM 11, but I think this happened on stock KitKat as well. Anyone else experience this?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

big mean giraffe posted:

If anyone else is looking for a low profile case for the MAXX, I picked up the Incipio feather for it and it's pretty drat fantastic.

I also have a Diztronic case which adds almost nothing bulk-wise and is super tactile button-wise but is just as slippery as the phone itself. Between the Otterbox and the Incipio Dualpro (with the stainless steel back) I think I'll be set with this phone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody want a Glass invite? I have three I need to get rid of since they expire on Monday.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I also have a Diztronic case which adds almost nothing bulk-wise and is super tactile button-wise but is just as slippery as the phone itself. Between the Otterbox and the Incipio Dualpro (with the stainless steel back) I think I'll be set with this phone.

I assume this rules out wireless charging?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I already had a Spigen case, but it felt too big, and it slid around on the magnetic car mount I have. The official case is much thinner.

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED
Does anyone have any additional documentation on the setting "use only fips 140-2 validated algorithms"? I use a Maxx and would be interested in your experience using this setting, primarily in regards to battery life, reduced app functionality, or security . And to add some content here's a link to a Motorola policy document that may or may not be related (a bit over my head) but it does mention the Ultra. Nothing from Motorola officially just sensationalist reviews on "government grade encryption".

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140sp/140sp1998.pdf

KuNova fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 18, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure if this is an app thing, a CM11 thing, or a KitKat thing, so I'm posting it in this thread.

One of the things that's always irritated me about Android and my Galaxy Nexus is that if I get out of my vehicle for a while and whatever it was that I was listening to via BT gets kicked out of memory, when I get back in vehicle, pressing the Play button on my head unit doesn't do anything. If whatever app that was playing audio hasn't been kicked out of memory, then pressing Play on the head unit will resume playing.

Well anyway, I'm not sure if this is KitKat or something CM11 has done, but this behavior seems to have been changed somehow.

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast when I got home. Yesterday evening, I upgraded to the latest CM11 nightly (which of course involves rebooting the phone, so there is no chance Pocket Casts was still in memory).

This morning I pressed Play on my head unit and it resumed playing the pod cast I was listening to yesterday. Hooray!

I always just assumed my Gnex had lovely Bluetooth. Up until recently I ran whatever the current nightly for CM was and had constant connectivity issues with my big jambox. If I walked away and it disconnected for more than a couple of minutes I'd have to toggle Bluetooth off and on then cue back to where I left off. I'm inclined to believe that something was fucky because my maxx picks up and leaves off just fine. The moral of the story is just ditch the gnex if you can be cause I feel like I was banging rocks together to make fire with that thing. I feel like I've got a flamethrower now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KuNova posted:

Does anyone have any additional documentation on the setting "use only fips 140-2 validated algorithms"? I use a Maxx and would be interested in your experience using this setting, primarily in regards to battery life, reduced app functionality, or security . And to add some content here's a link to a Motorola policy document that may or may not be related (a bit over my head) but it does mention the Ultra. Nothing from Motorola officially just sensationalist reviews on "government grade encryption".

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140sp/140sp1998.pdf

FIPS 140-2 is a US government standard for security/encryption. I don't know what Motorola does specifically to meet that, but it's not going to affect your battery life or reduce app functionality at all.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

CLAM DOWN posted:

FIPS 140-2 is a US government standard for security/encryption. I don't know what Motorola does specifically to meet that, but it's not going to affect your battery life or reduce app functionality at all.

Assuming it completely disables algorithms that aren't in the approved list it could cause some problems for apps that are hardcoded to use them, or in the browser when negotiating a secure connection to a server that doesn't support any acceptable algorithms.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Can someone recommend me a matte screen protector that isn't a giant pain in the rear end to install? I tried the one from best skins ever and I was really surprised to find that they are very difficult to install. I ended up botching it and throwing $10 away.

Honestly at this point it's less about wanting to protect the screen and more about wanting a less glossy screen that doesn't show fingerprints nearly as much.

Edit: Ended up getting a tempered glass screen protector so I don't have to futz around with flimsy plastic anymore. Not exactly anti-glare, but it's oleophobic which is good enough for me.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 18, 2013

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

kitten smoothie posted:

I assume this rules out wireless charging?

Oh I'm a goober it's not actual stainless steel it's just plastic with a shiny metal finish.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

Tunga posted:

Unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, take a nandroid backup of a phone that is ready to go. Then repeat on the new phones (with restore instead of backup, obviously). You'll need to keep a separate image for each different device type your support. That's the fastest you'll get.

Thank you for this advice, i'm looking into it but it appears its a bit difficult to unlock the bootloader for the S4.
For an enterprise setting what do you guys recommend for an MDM?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Assuming it completely disables algorithms that aren't in the approved list it could cause some problems for apps that are hardcoded to use them, or in the browser when negotiating a secure connection to a server that doesn't support any acceptable algorithms.

There's a pretty wide range of algorithms supported, as linked directly in that whitepaper.

I don't think there will be any problem unless his/her is an extreme edge case that I can't even think of. iOS 6 (I'm pretty sure iOS7 has a compliant cryptographic module too) is FIPS 140-2 certified as well as BB10. It's not an issue. It definitely will not affect battery life.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Moto X review/follow up.

Now that I've had the phone for a couple days I'm getting almost exactly 24 hours of battery life. (email checking every 30 minutes, all radios and GPS on, Tune in radio streaming to bluetooth a couple hours, a couple hours of audio streaming to bluetooth, 30 minutes or so of some games, about 2 hours of on screen time.) On Sprint service so most people will probably get much better battery life.

It's nice to not have to worry about charging mid day. I wish it had another 30-50% so I could rely on the phone to wake me up for work when I forget to plug it in.

The build quality is outstanding, the shape size and heft seem nearly perfect after a couple days. Having unlock, and volume on the same side makes it really easy to hold without activating a button (always happened on the GS3). The bottom on the sides is a little wider than the top so you can hold the phone directly over the buttons without activating them too.

It almost never hangs in chrome when scrolling, screen is great auto brightness

Active notifications are amazing and used constantly. Always on voice is neat and maybe I'll start using it more but so far I've only used it a couple of times. I disabled Moto assist because I don't drive much and the driving mode seems to boost the volume, so if you are listening to a podcast/music then a couple minutes into driving it would get louder I didn't care for it.

Traditionally I've had Nexus devices (Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus), but I was stuck with a GS3 for a couple months and had to skip the Nexus 4 and started to like some Touchwiz changes. Coming back to pure Android is really eye opening. Pure Android on recent hardware (with developer options all animations disabled) is so much more usable/speedy than anything else (iOS/Windows phone) there is no comparison. Then again I'm weird and use Nova at 5x5 with folders and one homepage to remove mode error.

My buttons are rock solid, I've noticed all of the black non-Motomaker X's are solid and the white non-Motomaker X's seemed to have loose buttons.

I'd thought the skins were not that bad, I was wrong. Doctor rear end in a top hat is right, unless you need an active digitizer and are willing to give up your sanity for a Note 3 there is no excuse to get anything except a Moto phone or Nexus. It's easy to get tricked, but don't do it. I hate giving up my SD card with music and movies on it but for now it seems worth it.

I really hope Motorola will introduce a Moto X MAXX (even 50% more battery would be great) with wireless charging would be my perfect phone.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So my Nexus 5 arrives in a couple of hours. I've never had an android phone before, upgrading from a HTC Tilt 2. What's the first thing I should do?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ninkobei posted:

So my Nexus 5 arrives in a couple of hours. I've never had an android phone before, upgrading from a HTC Tilt 2. What's the first thing I should do?

Unlock the boot loader.

Do you have a Mac, Linux, or Windows PC?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a pretty wide range of algorithms supported, as linked directly in that whitepaper.

I don't think there will be any problem unless his/her is an extreme edge case that I can't even think of. iOS 6 (I'm pretty sure iOS7 has a compliant cryptographic module too) is FIPS 140-2 certified as well as BB10. It's not an issue. It definitely will not affect battery life.

The range of algorithms isn't that wide at all though, you only have 2 block ciphers, AES and 3DES, and no stream ciphers at all. Much of the time that's not an issue, but there are still webservers out there that are stuck on TLS 1.0, and at least some of them will restrict their proposed cipher suites to only ones including RC4 as a defense against the BEAST attack on TLS. To be fair, on a cell phone that's the only problem I see someone being likely to actually run into.

Also, most products that are FIPS certified don't run in FIPS mode unless it has been explicitly turned on though, because it does restrict your algorithm choices and requires known answer tests to be run at startup, as well as continuous testing of the RNG as well as some other things.

For the original question I would say that if you're not mandated to use a device in FIPS mode, and don't know enough about security to diagnose possible problems that may arise, I wouldn't enable it unless you just want to learn about security.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Unlock the boot loader.

Windows 8

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Unlock the boot loader.

Stop giving bad advice.

Don't root your phone ever. There is no need. The first thing you should do is sign into your google account. The second thing you should do is use your phone. If you encounter any problems, call the support phone number. You paid money for a product, expect it to work correctly and don't waste your time trying to fix it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

Put your sim card in it, power it on, go through set up, and then tweet at your boys (or girls, whichever). No need to bother with most of the dumb "hacker" poo poo. Just enjoy using your phone.

You can always do the other stuff later if you want anyway. CJing a phone straight out of the box isn't exactly my top loving priority when I get a new one.

• Locked thread