Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Magic Trackpad? Maybe she wouldn't pick that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

FlashBangBob posted:

I don't mind it being an optical sensor, I just wanted it to be clear. She sits across the room from everyone normally and picks up her mouse a lot which then slightly shines in our eyes 100 times a minute. Was going to be a nice stocking-stuffer.

Super glue it to the table. Problem solved.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FlashBangBob posted:

I don't mind it being an optical sensor, I just wanted it to be clear. She sits across the room from everyone normally and picks up her mouse a lot which then slightly shines in our eyes 100 times a minute. Was going to be a nice stocking-stuffer.

Real laser-based optical sensors (rather than the red LEDs you find in most optical mice) tend to be almost invisibly dim.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

FlashBangBob posted:

Logitech Corded M500. Invisible laser and lots of other nice features.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

I'm not sure about slam dunk necessarily, but I would guess maybe Samsung 840 Pro? (Or "evo pro" I forget). It's the more expensive one that can take more write cycles iirc, so theoretically it'd last longer than the cheaper 840. Alternatively maybe just format with more free space left over on the cheaper drive.

While we're on the topic of DIY Fusion Drives, has anyone tried doing a fully external one (like in a multibay enclosure)? Can't think of why it wouldn't work, but I can only seem to find instances of people doing TB SSD + internal HDD Fusion drives.

The other question is whether TRIM support works on a Fusion drive. I assume it would but be sure to enable it manually.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Ribsauce posted:

OK, it crashed with each individual stick of RAM in. I guess the next step is try the HDD cable. I passed the SMART test on that smart utility. Do I still need to check the cable? Can I go to the store to get them to do this?

SMART tests ask the drive to test itself. The drive could be okay and report it's okay even if the cable is bad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Magic Trackpad? Maybe she wouldn't pick that up.

I love my Magic Trackpad.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse. No red lights in either.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

1024x768 posted:

I ended up buying a late 2013 13" Retina MBP about a month ago for $1940 with the 2 years of Applecare. I realized I want the 15". I probably should have thought more about it during the 2 weeks I had to return it. Unfortunately it has a 0.5 cm nick (top left edge in the picture) on the edge of the aluminum casing near the hinge I picked up while opening it in front of a book case. Obviously I am out of luck in terms of returning it to the store.

EDIT: It looks like they do have an extended return policy (Until Jan. 7, 2014) for items purchased after November 1st. Any chance I can exchange it with the nick?

If I were to sell it privately, how much would this affect the value if I were to sell it privately? Or is there any chance I could trade it in to Apple and pay the extra $500 or whatever for a 15"? eBay and Craigslist do not have any similar models for sale.

As for hardware specifics, it is this model.

To follow up - the Apple store happily took this back and I exchanged it for a 15".

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1024x768 posted:

To follow up - the Apple store happily took this back and I exchanged it for a 15".

Well, at least we know there's gonna be a refurb 13" rMBP in the Apple Store reeeeeallll soon now. :)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Amazon has 16 GB and 32GB Ipad 1st generations for $150. I've never owned an ipad but I'm considering picking one up for playing games and surfing. How does the first generation Ipad hold up? Is it even worth getting or will it run/look like crap? I'm concerned it won't handle new games (e.g. Drive to Moscow or Battle of the Bulge) like a newer Ipad would and I wouldn't get much use out of it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The iOS thread in gadgets is a better place to ask that. I would advise against that though. The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 6 and (also because it) only has 256MB of RAM.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't buy anything older than an iPad 2.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ok thanks, that's kind of what I figured.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

crazysim posted:

The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 6 and (also because it) only has 256MB of RAM.
The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 5.1.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The iPad 1 only supports up to iOS 5.1.

Ah poo poo, it's even worse than I thought.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Caged posted:

Don't buy anything older than an iPad 2.

Also, don't buy an iPad 2. Yes, Apple still sells and supports them, but the price tag is a cruel joke played on people who think bigger is always better (and the LA school district).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It's great for everyone selling off their old iPad 2s though. My dad just replaced his with a 5I mean- Air and he was shocked to find out that he could sell it for over $300. With the accessories, it basically ended up subsidizing like 60% of the cost of the new one, which ain't too shabby for a three year old tablet.

Echoing the 'don't loving buy one' sentiment- it would be like buying a white MacBook the year after the MBA's price got halved. As good of a deal as you might be getting, you're still missing out on major poo poo.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a rMBP 13" but I'm still concerned about the scaling. I've tried it at my local Best Buy, and desktop scaling looked fantastic (i.e. running OSX at a scaled resolution), but how does it look for games and stuff?

Also, can you run Windows 7/8 at 1280x800? If so, how does that look? I'd like to fool around with old-school stuff like DOSBox, and some x86 demos, etc. I don't want them to be blurry to really, really tiny...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1280x800 on a 2560x1600 display will look exactly the same as a 1280x800 display at the same size, it's just using 4 pixels instead of 1. There will be no blur because everything falls nicely on pixel boundaries.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

How normal is it for new Macbook Pros to crash? I have one of the newest rMBP 15", the one with the Geforce 750m. I have had it for under two months and it has crashed entirely with restarts three times. It just did it now while only watching a movie on VLC and entering an URL on Safari. Is this normal? I expected Macs to be orders of magnitude more stable than Windows (my self built gaming PC hasn't crashed in more than a year and that was overclock testing). Should I be worried about the hardware? Will Apple replace it after a month of ownership?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not normal at all. Book yourself in for an appointment. If you can reproduce it semi-reliably that's even better.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I cannot reproduce it at all. It has happened at random times. The first time while editing a photo on iPhoto. The second time while exiting a game (X-Com: Enemy Within) and the third time when I started typing an URL on Safari. I will book an appointment and hopefully have it replaced altogether. I do not have time for them to take it in and have them keep it for testing and repairs, I just want a new one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it has been over a month they'll be repairing it. Still worth asking nicely though.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

If it has been over a month they'll be repairing it. Still worth asking nicely though.

That sucks a lot. Burned on my first Apple :(

I called Apple Care and explained that it crashes at random, taking days or even a week between crashes, and with no third party software or any hardware attached. They wanna narrow it down to a software or hardware problem. Their method? They want me to use the laptop on safe mode all the time from now on until it crashes again... or doesn't :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you have Apple Stores nearby? When I bought my iMac from Amazon it came with the crappy Magic Mouse and I wanted to swap it for the trackpad. I went to two Apple Stores and they finally let me just swap it and gave me a brand new trackpad without any receipt or anything.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah I bought it from a local Apple store. But something tells me replacing a $2,600 laptop wont be so simple.

This is my first Mac, and Apples first chance to earn my customer loyalty. I understand that high tech hardware is prone to duds. From experience with hardware, I suspect bad ram, and its soldered into the main board on these models. Or the motherboard itself. poo poo happens.

Be that as it may, I want it replaced. Its less than two months old. Sending it in for days for tech support will be a huge inconvenience, as I travel constantly and it would leave me with nothing. I would probably have to buy another laptop for use while its away. It would be hilariously ironic to have to buy a Windows PC to temporarily replace a new Mac which I bought for their renowned stability.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Animal posted:

Yeah I bought it from a local Apple store. But something tells me replacing a $2,600 laptop wont be so simple.

This is my first Mac, and Apples first chance to earn my customer loyalty. I understand that high tech hardware is prone to duds. From experience with hardware, I suspect bad ram, and its soldered into the main board on these models. Or the motherboard itself. poo poo happens.

Be that as it may, I want it replaced. Its less than two months old. Sending it in for days for tech support will be a huge inconvenience, as I travel constantly and it would leave me with nothing. I would probably have to buy another laptop for use while its away. It would be hilariously ironic to have to buy a Windows PC to temporarily replace a new Mac which I bought for their renowned stability.

Then go into a drat Apple store. You're complaining about not "earning your customer loyalty" when you haven't even talked to them. Instead you're talking about scenarios you think will happen.

Go to the Apple store. Tell them you want it swapped or whatever and can't wait for troubleshooting steps. If they refuse, then you can bitch and moan.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Then go into a drat Apple store. You're complaining about not "earning your customer loyalty" when you haven't even talked to them. Instead you're talking about scenarios you think will happen.

Go to the Apple store. Tell them you want it swapped or whatever and can't wait for troubleshooting steps. If they refuse, then you can bitch and moan.

Hahaha wow are people defensive of their brands. You'd think I was talking about your mother.

As I already posted, before you worked up your sad little rage post, I already talked to them, and they want me to use the laptop on safe mode from now on indefinitely.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Animal posted:

Hahaha wow are people defensive of their brands. You'd think I was talking about your mother.

As I already posted, before you worked up your sad little rage post, I already talked to them, and they want me to use the laptop on safe mode from now on indefinitely.

Don't call AppleCare. Go to an Apple Store.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goon_in_a_well.txt

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Animal posted:

To be fair a retail store will treat you differently than the hotline and as other posters have pointed out your experience in store can vary by location & phase of the moon. If you can take it into a store and explain your situation.

I'll also go ahead and say that most other brands, unless you have a service contract which covers stuff like this, will go through the same troubleshooting steps as Apple after the initial 14-30 day return period.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I called the store they said to call AppleCare, troubleshoot, and then create an appointment at the genius bar.

The troubleshoot step right now is to run it on safe mode for a few weeks (slow and without audio) after which if it crashes they will take it in and examine it themselves for a bit and replace any faulty hardware if they find its that. So thats a few weeks on safe mode followed by some more time without a laptop.

...I'll just drive there un-announced this week and politely ask for a replacement.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

I'll just drive there un-announced this week and politely ask for a replacement.
They're gonna turn you away. Make an appointment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're gonna turn you away. Make an appointment.

According to them the appointment is after my ticket with AppleCare is through. And right now that would be after the safe mode lobotomy period. Maybe I should call AppleCare again and lie and tell them its crashing under safe mode too already instead if waiting weeks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

According to them the appointment is after my ticket with AppleCare is through.
Stop calling Apple and just make an appointment on their website:

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

You're making this far more difficult than it needs to be.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Am I? Listen guys, I am just following their instructions to the letter. I didn't even know you could create an appointment yourself (thanks for the link) The person who talked to me when I called the store to make an appointment told me to call AppleCare and they would take care of that.

I was just sharing my problem and their response so far. I'll make the appointment and not bother the thread any more. Sorry.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Nope, you're not just sharing, you're desperately hoping for something to happen that you can bitch about, you're anxious for it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Animal posted:

I cannot reproduce it at all. It has happened at random times. The first time while editing a photo on iPhoto. The second time while exiting a game (X-Com: Enemy Within) and the third time when I started typing an URL on Safari. I will book an appointment and hopefully have it replaced altogether. I do not have time for them to take it in and have them keep it for testing and repairs, I just want a new one.

Three times in two months is nothing if you take into account you're also using a brand new OS release. I have the same MacBook Pro (top MacBook without customizations) and I'd say I've had roughly the same experience. Overall I'm very happy with the laptop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not normal. I have a 2012 iMac and i always upgrade to the latest software updates and I can't recall ever crashing. I mean individual apps can crash sometimes but never the whole OS. The only time I ever restart is after the software update requires it.