Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Where is Chris Borland projected to go in the draft? Someone tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hand Row posted:

He has been a head coach three times, who is going to hire him?

I would not be super-surprised if the Texans did, though he's probably not who I'd want right now

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

6 mil to have Michael Huff play for a division opponent is money well spent.

This may be a dumb question but does any NFL team release their draftboard to the public, say a year or two after?
I can see why they wouldn't with the way teams covet any information but it would be really neat to see which franchise valued who where.
For instance Brian Billick is on record saying that Jamarcus Russel was number one on the Ravens board that year. Funny when Baltimore's FO is viewed as exemplary and Oakland's was seen as retarded.

Dallas has "leaked" pictures of their draft boards for 2010 and, I think, 2013. But I imagine most teams are paranoid that other teams will figure out how they grade prospects and that will offer some competitive advantage.

Here is the 2010 draft board
Here is the 2013 draft board

Disillusionist fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 18, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

I would not be super-surprised if the Texans did, though he's probably not who I'd want right now

After getting the doors blown off by the Colts I doubt he has much shot. We're going to get shellacked by the Broncos and if we beat the Titans or are competitive, well it's the 2013 Titans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Petite Dinklage posted:

By his current rankings probably somewhere in round 3

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Wade should come back to San Diego please

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Disillusionist posted:

Dallas has "leaked" pictures of their draft boards for 2010 and, I think, 2013. But I imagine most teams are paranoid that other teams will figure out how they grade prospects and that will offer some competitive advantage.

Here is the 2010 draft board
Here is the 2013 draft board

I honestly believe that all but the most incompetent front offices pretty much know how everyone else is going to draft. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason front offices are so secretive is so they don't have frothing at the mouth fans breathing down their neck because player X is higher on their board than player Y.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most draft trades are made because the GMs are networked enough to know what the other teams are about to do. Whenever a team trades up to draft a player that is perceived to be a reach, it's almost certain that at least one other team was about to do the same thing.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

I honestly believe that all but the most incompetent front offices pretty much know how everyone else is going to draft. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason front offices are so secretive is so they don't have frothing at the mouth fans breathing down their neck because player X is higher on their board than player Y.

That makes sense. I also thought that it could become a factor in contract negotiations; I can imagine an agent saying "Well sure my client was drafted in the 7th round but you had him graded in the 4th!" but now that rookie contracts are more or less locked in that probably isn't a factor.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Disillusionist posted:

That makes sense. I also thought that it could become a factor in contract negotiations; I can imagine an agent saying "Well sure my client was drafted in the 7th round but you had him graded in the 4th!" but now that rookie contracts are more or less locked in that probably isn't a factor.

Yeah, this was probably a valid point before as well. I can't see that being much of an issue any more though for the reasons you said.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just let me into your mind Ozzie. I bet its filled with Linemen and corner backs.

Draft a good Wideout you beautiful son of a bitch!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

Most draft trades are made because the GMs are networked enough to know what the other teams are about to do. Whenever a team trades up to draft a player that is perceived to be a reach, it's almost certain that at least one other team was about to do the same thing.

I've heard that GMs start to get paranoid about their "diamond in the rough".

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just let me into your mind Ozzie. I bet its filled with Linemen and corner backs.

The Ravens could really, really use offensive line help.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Ravens could really, really use offensive line help.

The Puppy Bowl will only be happy with the biggest, slowest WR you got

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^ :shrug: Worked with Keenan Allen.

RT and Center. These can be found later in the draft. I want a top receiver dammit.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I think that is where the teams with incompetent front offices come in. Yeah they make a lot of bad decisions, but they end up being unpredictable which causes the more stable to teams to get nervous.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't really fault Dallas's rankings in the 2013 board. Kind of funny that the DTs they had listed in rounds 1, 2 and the ILB in round 4 all went to Carolina and all have helped turn the defense around.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Maybe another tight end because Dickson sucks and this is Dallas Clark with another year on him:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I think GMs are generally right to be paranoid when you consider how many trades happen in the draft. I think the teams know who the other teams covet. The smokescreen stuff is just entertainment for the media.

I mean the NFL had to tell ESPN/NFLN to stop leaking stuff 10-15 minutes ahead of when picks were actually being made, so I don't think the war rooms are that isolated.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SlipUp posted:

Maybe another tight end because Dickson sucks and this is Dallas Clark with another year on him:

Why not just keep Pitta?

A friend and I were discussing Miami and he wants Miami to go over OL, WR and Secondary. It's interesting. I would have never ever thought of Miami going after a WR but if the market is rich, you have to keep adding talent. It's what the Packers did when they had Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings at the time. Miami has Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, and Matthews. I absolutely love that corps, to be honest, because of what they each bring to the table.

If Tannehill can shore up the deep ball and actually make use of Wallace being 5 yards open behind a safety, then holy moly.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Why not just keep Pitta?

It's a two tight end league these days and Pitta and Dickson were drafted the same year with this in mind.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

The Eagles need a free safety pretty badly but I don't see any way they're gonna be able to pick up one that isn't a long-term project (as opposed to a player who can play in 2-3 years).

I guess Cyril Richardson, outside guard, would be a solid first-round pick to back up either the aging Evan Mathis or the also-aging Todd Herremans. Or a cornerback. I'm honestly rather impressed with this team so far but the defense still has some holes that need to be plugged in.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Petite Dinklage posted:

He'll be drafted in the third round (probably between picks 75 and 90) because his measurables aren't outstanding and NFL teams still factor those in heavily. Once some LBs coach watches his tape and screams bloody murder to his DC about him, Borland will get the recognition he deserves.

I could easily see him starting in the NFL his rookie year.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is there something wrong with Torrey Smith?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lacks ideal size, doesn't have sure hands, has a tendency to lose track of the ball on deep routes, makes few contested catches.

I still love him and he has a bunch of good points(unreal speed, tremendous effort guy, good foot movement, etc.) but he is a superb #2, iffy #1 receiver. More importantly outside of him we have Marlon Brown and a bunch of guys who have never accomplished anything. Jacoby Jones is a FA this offseason and has done more than enough to get a big contract elsewhere.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx
I was thinking the other day that Ra'Shede Hageman probably has a chance to be Chicago's 1st-round pick. Emery's track record is pretty short, so it's hard to guess, but when it comes to defenders, he clearly loves (1) measurables/athleticism, and (2) scheme/position versatility. He took McClellin over Chandler Jones and Bostic over Arthur Brown, and his explanations mostly had to do with those two things. Hageman is probably going to blow up the Combine, and people say he'd be equally good as a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE. If he's around when Chicago picks, it seems like the kind of thing Emery would do. Any Minnesota fans on whether he's actually, you know, good?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^ :shrug: Worked with Keenan Allen

Allen is 6'2 and actually runs a 4.4, he had a knee injury that made him look slow at his pro day and kept him out of the combine.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Hageman is really really really good.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Disillusionist posted:

I have a few questions/comment.

1. How is much Free due? $3.5 mil again? If that's the case, do you think they'd keep Parnell over Free? Free's played better this year but I don't see much of a drop-off between the two and I'd rather keep the younger (and cheaper) player.

Free is due 3.5M in 2014 but has a cap hit of 6.52M. Given how he's played better this year, they'll probably keep him on the roster.

quote:

2. I don't see them cutting Carter. He had a pretty good season last year before his injury, and although he's been benched twice this season he's a clear upgrade over the Ernie Sims and Kyle Bosworths of the world. He's still on his rookie contract and it seems like the savings would be negligible over whoever has to replace him.

The situation is dire enough that this could happen given his cost. It's not just about making room in 2014; it's also about keeping room in 2015 to re-sign Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant.

quote:

3. Do these numbers reflect the Scandrick extension that happened a few days ago? They added some non-guaranteed years to the back of his deal and reduced his cap number over the next few seasons in exchange for guaranteeing some of his pay for injury.

Scandrick's 2-year, $3M extension adds 2 years on to his contract with a base salary of $3M and increased his 2014 base salary from 3.5M to 4.5M, fully guaranteed. His 2015-2016 base salaries decreased from $5M to 1.5 and 3M and are fully guaranteed for injury. The additional two years on the back end of the contract gives them room to restructure his 2014 hit by converting 3.5M of his 2014 pay into signing bonus and spreading it over 2015-2018 ($875k per year). These numbers do reflect that change.

quote:

Also, to anyone else looking at the Cowboys salary cap you have to remember that they intentionally structure contracts for key players to be restructured. Romo, Carr, Scandrick, and Witten all have money that can be moved around to massage the cap. Austin will probably be a June 6th cut to spread the dead money over the next two seasons. Ware will need to be traded but I highly doubt this happens because of Jerry.

I already mentioned the restructures in my original post. Carr and Romo are obvious targets with base salaries of $7.5M and $13.5M respectively and more than a few good years ahead of them. After that, pickings are slim. You could in theory restructure Witten's contract, but he's only got $5M in base salary on a contract that runs through 2017. If you restructure him next year, you make his cap hit in 2015 much worse.

quote:

That being said it's not like the Cowboys are in an enviable position with regards to the cap and they have certainly screwed themselves more often than not. The Austin, Ratliff and Carr contracts were bad (Carr was necessary only because of poor drafting) and they whiffed on Spencer and Hatcher by not locking them up sooner.

The big problem with restructuring is that it creates very bad consequences for cutting guys down the line. Ratliff was the worst of the contracts, but Carr's is well-structured to give room for restructuring. The team really, really needs to trade or cut Ware next year to have a good chance at building a team that can compete in 2015 and 2016. If they restructure him they're going to make it even harder to cut him as he continues to play worse and worse.

quote:

Edit: Wade is not a good head coach. He might be if you keep him out of the draft room or blame his poor drafts on Jerry Jones (but they were better under Parcells and Garrett, so...) but you could do a lot better.

It's hard to evaluate Wade's drafts since you only have three out of the four that you can really consider as Jones pissed away the 2009 draft on that Roy Williams trade. The 2007 draft was alright--the team pulled Spencer, Free, and Folk, and while Felix Jones was a bust, the 2008 draft gave the team Jenkins, Bennett, and Scandrick. 2010 had Bryant and Lee so I'd call that one a success as well. I'd say overall Wade's drafts weren't as strong as Parcells' but they've been as good or better than Garrett's (with the best players from those drafts being Smith, Murray, Claibourne, and Frederick). Although even Parcells didn't do the team any favors in his last year--he drafted Jason Hatcher but whiffed bad on Bobby Carpenter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah, no. GM's are incredibly secretive with their draft, to the point where the only time news is leaked is to induce something positive for the organization. You can't tell me, with a straight face, that someone was about to move up and take Mike Mitchell or DHB from the Raiders.

Good draft trades are made because GMs have intelligent front offices of industry professionals that analyze the schemes and contracts for every team they're directly competing with in order to make personnel decisions. Bad draft trades are made because GMs get paranoid about other GMs and snap up whoever they think won't be there the next time their pick comes around.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

Yeah, no. GM's are incredibly secretive with their draft, to the point where the only time news is leaked is to induce something positive for the organization. You can't tell me, with a straight face, that someone was about to move up and take Mike Mitchell or DHB from the Raiders.

Good draft trades are made because GMs have intelligent front offices of industry professionals that analyze the schemes and contracts for every team they're directly competing with in order to make personnel decisions. Bad draft trades are made because GMs get paranoid about other GMs and snap up whoever they think won't be there the next time their pick comes around.

Aside from the first few picks (and even then there's uncertainty), GMs have very little idea of who's going to be drafted in what spot, just a general idea of "this guy is probably going in this round" and "we think this team is interested in that guy" (this is also why no one projects later rounds). When they move it's usually because they're afraid of losing out on a player they like, but the teams they somersault may have had no intention of drafting him. Particularly in the post-2011 CBA world where trades and moves happen with greater frequency.

I don't actually think there's much of a distinction between the "good" and "bad" trades you've outlined, save for how you frame one as "informed" and the other as "paranoia." It's only paranoia if you're wrong, after all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't actually think there's much of a distinction between the "good" and "bad" trades you've outlined, save for how you frame one as "informed" and the other as "paranoia." It's only paranoia if you're wrong, after all.

I think the difference between a good and a bad trade has a lot to do with homework, so yeah, that's my definition for it. How informed the team is, that is.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I hope the titans draft manziel and he owns like vince did and makes Houston fans mad all over again... Or bring vince back.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
GMs trade when a player falls below their ranking. The big thing though is that this ranking is by group, not individual. For example you may have 7 players in a elite group but one of those you put in the ranked group falls to 15. You weren't targeting him at first but now that he fell, the value is so good that you try to move up.

Likewise you trade down when there are still plenty of players in the talent group left to pick. You can trade down and still receive a player in that group.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

The Big Jesus posted:

I hope the titans draft manziel and he owns like vince did and makes Houston fans mad all over again... Or bring vince back.

VY is from Houston, though. That was a huge part of that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

defiantgiant posted:

I was thinking the other day that Ra'Shede Hageman probably has a chance to be Chicago's 1st-round pick. Emery's track record is pretty short, so it's hard to guess, but when it comes to defenders, he clearly loves (1) measurables/athleticism, and (2) scheme/position versatility. He took McClellin over Chandler Jones and Bostic over Arthur Brown, and his explanations mostly had to do with those two things. Hageman is probably going to blow up the Combine, and people say he'd be equally good as a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE. If he's around when Chicago picks, it seems like the kind of thing Emery would do. Any Minnesota fans on whether he's actually, you know, good?

He's a big dude. 6'6 310 with long arms. Very good athleticism and can occasionally explode through the line on running plays. He's also very skilled at batting down passes when he can't through the line. He's inconsistent and can have some quiet stretches and would probably be a UT in a 4-3 or a DE in 3-4.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Although even Parcells didn't do the team any favors in his last year--he drafted Jason Hatcher but whiffed bad on Bobby Carpenter.

Wasn't Parcells weirdly in love with Carpenter for some reason? Like it was clear Carpenter was poo poo, but he kept him out there with the 1st stringers because he was certain he would turn it around one day. And now that I think about it didn't Parcells go so far as bringing him to the Dolphins when he moved there too?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Aniki posted:

He's a big dude. 6'6 310 with long arms. Very good athleticism and can occasionally explode through the line on running plays. He's also very skilled at batting down passes when he can't through the line. He's inconsistent and can have some quiet stretches and would probably be a UT in a 4-3 or a DE in 3-4.

Hageman is a 3-4 DE

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Arschlochkind posted:

VY is from Houston, though. That was a huge part of that.

Also we passed on VY and Bush for someone who appeared to be a one year wonder and a lot of people argued that Mario's production was helped/created by the existence of McCargo. In fact, I remember reading numerous people saying McCargo was going to be a best and Mario was going to bust out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Also we passed on VY and Bush for someone who appeared to be a one year wonder and a lot of people argued that Mario's production was helped/created by the existence of McCargo. In fact, I remember reading numerous people saying McCargo was going to be a best and Mario was going to bust out

That was KJI who thought McCargo would be some sort of all world prospect. That D-line was sick though. McCargo anchoring the middle, Manny Lawson and Mario rushing the edges, and Stephen Tulloch cleaning everything up on the second level.

• Locked thread