Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I've always wanted a What If along those lines.

The closest thing would be What If Peter Parker Had to Destroy Spider-Man? where Flash Thompson is bitten by the spider instead and Peter ends up helping him create the web-swinger persona. The Awesome Spider becomes corrupt and Peter goes all prep-time against him, including creating mechanical spider arms to help him fight and defeat Flash. Then the Fantastic Four tell him to keep at it and Peter fights crime with no powers.

There's also Spider-Boy from Amalgam where instead of being merged with anyone from DC, Spider-Boy's tech buddy Doc Ock was simply a helpful good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

The closest thing would be What If Peter Parker Had to Destroy Spider-Man? where Flash Thompson is bitten by the spider instead and Peter ends up helping him create the web-swinger persona. The Awesome Spider becomes corrupt and Peter goes all prep-time against him, including creating mechanical spider arms to help him fight and defeat Flash. Then the Fantastic Four tell him to keep at it and Peter fights crime with no powers.

There's also Spider-Boy from Amalgam where instead of being merged with anyone from DC, Spider-Boy's tech buddy Doc Ock was simply a helpful good guy.

And he sets Spider-Boy up on a date with Mary Jane Watson...

The Insect Queen.

Spider-Boy was awesome.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Roboto posted:

Makes me wonder what a heroic Doctor Octopus would read like.

I wonder if the writer there is talking to himself (and every other bitter, middle aged nerd) and wished they could help their younger, awkward nerd self.

These pages I've been seeing from SpOck's run makes me hope that when they end it and bring Peter Parker back, they don't just toss Ock back into his old body(Fixed up or something) or into the dustbin.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

This is a long ol' series of panels and it's a webcomic that I swear was in this thread that got lambasted for it's content. For some reason I feel like it's a more sincere take on the whole Superman superiority syndrome stuff- probably because it seems much more human while still being just as positive without having the baggage of a character who is more often compared to a god than not.

For context, the protagonist is a retired generic superstrength hero who is tryin' to figure out how to actually "fix" the world. The person she's speaking to is a supervillain she's been suggested to have a long history with in terms of fighting. After an extremely tense showdown resulting from a hate group having an individual member take violent action that seemingly kills her friend, she goes to visit him.

Source: SFP

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 30, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The FF are at Uatu's getting ready to assault Doom's castle.

All FF 14.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is a web comic people should be reading.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Wolverine and the X-Men #39

Wolverine and Cyclops, who have been at odds for a while now, are both caught in the same Sentinel Ambush™.

A bit cornball at the end maybe, but I liked it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madrox posted:

Wolverine and Cyclops, who have been at odds for a while now, are both caught in the same Sentinel Ambush™.

All that reminds me of is the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madrox posted:

That last line is kind of corny and it also losses some of its impact from the fact logan hasn't really changed all that much so it also doesn't make sense.

Though it is nice to actually have those two characters talk instead of brood at each other or argue through proxies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That last line is kind of corny and it also losses some of its impact from the fact logan hasn't really changed all that much so it also doesn't make sense.

Though it is nice to actually have those two characters talk instead of brood at each other or argue through proxies.

Well, the key to Schism was that Scott and Logan took paths you'd assume, on the surface, that the other would've done. But then you think a little harder, and their choices are completely in character. Scott's lost almost everything to this fight, and fighting is basically all he's ever been taught to do, since he was a kid. He's lost his wife, multiple times, lost friends, seen his race nearly wiped out and none of the people he was supposed to be building bridges with seem to give a drat. So why wouldn't he lean more towards Magneto's 'gently caress the humans' perspective?

Logan on the other hand, has lived through every major conflict in the last century and a half. Has seen the worst humanity has put out there... and seen the progress it's made too. He's found a peace within himself that doesn't deny the beast, but he's stopped letting it define him. And he's become a mentor to several young men and women (OK, mostly young women) who helped him see that he's not just 'the best there is at what he does', but that he can pass on the lessons he learned the hard way about seeing the good in people and working to build the future, not tear it down. Of course he'd become a teacher.

And the reason he probably doesn't seem to have changed much is that he didn't become a teacher when he refounded the school. He'd been one for years already.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
There was some Barry Allen talk in the Chat thread. Barry Allen, notable Silver Age stick-in-the-mud, went out saving the entire DC multi-err, quintoverse from the Anti-Monitor's antimatter cannon, becoming DC Comics' first saint in the progress. His protegé, Wally West stepped into his boots and eventually surpassed him. And then Barry Allen came back, sidelined Wally West, killed his own mother and ruined the universe.

Stop! Abort! We're not having any of that today! This is supposed to be a Nice Things Thread for once! Here's an alternate-but-still-canon take on what happened in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8, out of Secret Origins Annual #2! (by Robert L Fleming, Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson)

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 17, 2013

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
:love: I liked that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Instead of "The End" it said "The Beginning". :aaa:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Instead of "The End" it said "The Beginning". :aaa:

The ending is just the beginning, my friend. :regd10:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is a fan made piece, but I think it works quite nicely.
Artist's blog: http://underdifferentstars.wordpress.com/
And website: http://danharing.com/

It's pretty big, fyi.
http://i.imgur.com/hGE839S.jpg

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Nahxela posted:

Fan made Superman thingy
Thanks for that! I quite enjoyed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

March will have a new Beasts of Burden one shot released.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
I had an odd moment today and reread that Astro City story "The Nearness of You" because I wanted to cry. It worked. Everyone should read that story.

An everyday schmuck has become fixated on a dream woman who he seems to know everything about. It's taken over his life, cost him friendships, hindered his work, and is reaching the point where maybe two or three more sleeping pills might help...

Then Astro City's Phantom Stranger/Spectre pastiche, the Hanged Man, pops by to show him the battle throughout time that resulted in his true love having never been born.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
gently caress. That story gets me every time. So sad and so beautiful, and now that I've been married for a few years, it hits me even harder than it used to. I really need to buy Astro City #1/2, just so I own it.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

OK Octopus posted:

I had an odd moment today and reread that Astro City story "The Nearness of You" because I wanted to cry. It worked. Everyone should read that story.

An everyday schmuck has become fixated on a dream woman who he seems to know everything about. It's taken over his life, cost him friendships, hindered his work, and is reaching the point where maybe two or three more sleeping pills might help...

Then Astro City's Phantom Stranger/Spectre pastiche, the Hanged Man, pops by to show him the battle throughout time that resulted in his true love having never been born.

Astro City is so loving good, you guys.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy poo poo, that was only 3 pages and it make me cry a little bit.

I think I need to find out some more about astro city.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What trade is that in?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

What trade is that in?
Confession.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy poo poo, that was only 3 pages and it make me cry a little bit.

I think I need to find out some more about astro city.

That story is the pinnacle of Astro City, and it's a really early one, but yes. It's good writing. Not event writing, but great character stories. I spent a few years waiting to find out what happened to the Silver Agent. Then I had a pretty good sniffle again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have literally never read a bad Astro City story. Kurt Busiek is a drat fine writer.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
"No one forgets. No one," is up there with "He stood alone at Gjallerbru . . . and that was answer enough," for emotional impact.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Astro City, and that story in particular, is one of the greatest gifts to superhero comic fans. Taking such a ridiculous concept as a universe reboot and wringing out something as incredibly touching and melancholy as that story... Yep, thanks for the reminder. Time to go find the best way to rebuy those.

Edit: also that story makes Barry Allen a goddamn monster from how many lives he must have ruined.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Astro City, and that story in particular, is one of the greatest gifts to superhero comic fans. Taking such a ridiculous concept as a universe reboot and wringing out something as incredibly touching and melancholy as that story... Yep, thanks for the reminder. Time to go find the best way to rebuy those.

A time-obsessed villain calling his lackeys Tempus Fugitives is a stroke of genius.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Astro City 1 and 2 (life in the big city and confessions,I think) are phenomenal and required reading for anyone who's liked a single thing in this thread.
Book 3 is more done in 1 stories and takes a bit of a dive for me. I really liked 4, but it is a slower book.
After that,I started reading Astro as it came out, and there were a lot of delays in a continuous story, so maybe that's why I didn't like it, but I'm a fan of the issues coming out now.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Busiek spent almost all of 2012 and a good chunk of 2013 in extremely poor health, which made it impossible for him to keep up with Astro City. He's doing better now, and I'm glad the book is back!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't it started by him getting mercury poison or something equally horrible and unlikely? Everyone should get Astro City because not only is it great it supports a cool dude in comics that could probably still use a bit of a hand.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
A sweet little moment from Logicomix

I dunno just trying to break up the super hero comics.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Aww, I like it. A sweet little moment is an excellent way of describing that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Blue is the Warmest Color, Clémentine realizes she's in love with Emma:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

A sweet little moment from Logicomix

That's Bertrand Russell? I must track this down.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God bless you for posting Astro City in here. I just picked up the first few paperbacks, and I have already fallen completely in love. They had me at

"trolley delayed by shark".

The pacing of these stories is incredibly well-executed. The vignetting is superb. This is the comic I never knew I wanted.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My favorite issue has to be the one about the cartoon lion that gets brought into the real world of Astro City, holy poo poo is that issue just good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is from the Argentinian comic Alta Vista, by Fernando Calvi. It ran in the comics magazine Fierro. The translation was clearly done by someone who doesn't know English very well, but it works well enough. I'm mainly posting this for the final page, but there's a lot of moments I like in it. I wouldn't call them inspiring, exactly, but they're touching. At least to me.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

GorfZaplen posted:

This is from the Argentinian comic Alta Vista, by Fernando Calvi. It ran in the comics magazine Fierro. The translation was clearly done by someone who doesn't know English very well, but it works well enough. I'm mainly posting this for the final page, but there's a lot of moments I like in it. I wouldn't call them inspiring, exactly, but they're touching. At least to me.

Yeah I love this. I'm not sure what the genre is but whenever stories like these are in books i love them. Like the stories in Sandman of people going on adventures and telling their stories, usually from the 1850s-1950s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Heh, nice Tintin reference.