Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Changing minds, 140 characters at a time!

No wait, you're not changing anyone's mind by being a pest on twitter. Find a new hobby. It doesn't matter how right you are, it's a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

isoprenaline posted:

OH! DON'T be a dick? Boy did I get that one wrong.

It's a pretty easy one to mess up, so I forgive you buddy.

But in all seriousness:

I would guess that's the type of stuff getting you suspended, no? It looks like you and these folks were having a heated occasionally all caps argument. They're all people with cancer/cancer survivors or doctors or nutjobs, and you seem to be some random snarky fellow taking the debate into hyperbolic territory.

So:

A) You're probably annoying people so they're blocking you or potentially marking your tweets as spam
B) Twitter likes to suspend people who frequently mention a bunch of accounts in tweets, because that's what spammers do

A + B = increased likelihood of suspension

I'm not sure what to tell you here. Choose your battles more wisely, perhaps?

e:

Or really just this

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No wait, you're not changing anyone's mind by being a pest on twitter. Find a new hobby. It doesn't matter how right you are, it's a waste of time.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 16, 2013

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Aggro posted:

I'm using Google Chrome, and for some reason, whenever I close the browser, it logs me out of all of my websites. When I go to log back in, all of my information is saved, and I just have to hit Enter to log in. Nonetheless, it's annoying as poo poo to take an extra step when I visit any website.

Any idea what setting I somehow changed to make this happen?

Check to see if Chrome is deleting your cookies when you close the browser. Open the menu (the little icon of three lines on the right side) and click on "Settings". On the page that pops up click on "Show advanced settings..." down at the bottom. Under the "Privacy" heading click the "Content Settings" button. At the top of the window that pops up it'll list your settings for browser cookies. It should be set to "Allow local data to be set", if I'm right yours will be set to the second or third option there. Change it to the "Allow local data..." option and chrome should keep you logged in now.

wormil posted:

Is anyone able to view this website?
http://thisoldworkshop.com/

Or is everyone getting a 403?

Downforeveryoneorjustme.com is fantastic for figuring out if your internet is being funky or if the site is really not available. It's not 100% but close enough to be useful.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Alkanos posted:

Downforeveryoneorjustme.com is fantastic for figuring out if your internet is being funky or if the site is really not available. It's not 100% but close enough to be useful.

It's basically the same site, but isup.me is much easier to type. Hell, sometimes I just type isup.me/website.to.check instead of typing it into the text box there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Is anyone able to view this website?
http://thisoldworkshop.com/

Or is everyone getting a 403?
This is a very useful website:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

EDIT: I see I was beaten. Consider this me vouching for the wonderfulness that is this site, then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Twitter guy could just make a new account, be civil for awhile, and then resume the snark?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

But then you lose all your tweet cred.

god i'm sorry that's terrible

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 16, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

axolotl farmer posted:

Swedish kids magazine from the 1950s:

Loving this image

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hooah posted:

Forbidden for me.

Thanks everyone. Also thanks for links.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

isoprenaline posted:

I am not arguing I am awesome on Twitter and a friend to all. I may be rude but hell many others are far ruder. But those other people get blocked and say "hey this dickhead blocked me, when I called them a ignorant fuckwit". I don't get a chance to say that because the moment someone blocks me, I am suspended.

Any ideas?

As someone already mentioned, it's probably just because you're getting blocked and marked as a spamming a lot. If you get blocked or complained about frequently then you'll be assumed to be a spammer, that's just how the system works. The only solution is to try to not annoy people so much.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Yesterday I went for a long walk on snowy/icy sidewalks. Now there's a small sore muscle in my inner thigh. Is it probably this one?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

miryei posted:

Yesterday I went for a long walk on snowy/icy sidewalks. Now there's a small sore muscle in my inner thigh. Is it probably this one?

That's more of a groin muscle than a thigh muscle. If you lunge like a fencer you can feel a stretch in your adductor brevis. If you try to do the splits you'll feel the stretch in the other adductor muscles. Doing those movements should isolate the soreness for you.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

kedo posted:

It's a pretty easy one to mess up, so I forgive you buddy.

But in all seriousness:

I would guess that's the type of stuff getting you suspended, no? It looks like you and these folks were having a heated occasionally all caps argument. They're all people with cancer/cancer survivors or doctors or nutjobs, and you seem to be some random snarky fellow taking the debate into hyperbolic territory.

So:

A) You're probably annoying people so they're blocking you or potentially marking your tweets as spam
B) Twitter likes to suspend people who frequently mention a bunch of accounts in tweets, because that's what spammers do

A + B = increased likelihood of suspension

I'm not sure what to tell you here. Choose your battles more wisely, perhaps?

e:

Or really just this

Jesus dude that was what? A week ago? It's hardly a pattern?
In that thread someone states they got blocked. But they are still there to complain. EACH time a single person blocks me I am suspended. Again in that thread there are users mentioning everyone. Again and again. 20 tweets to my one. They are not suspended. I am not the most mentiony or confronting user twitter has.

I still think my account got flagged somehow. Maybe as someone else said by being new and suddenly active.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
trying to justify myself like a dumbarse. I'll stop.

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 17, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

isoprenaline posted:

Jesus dude that was what? A week ago? It's hardly a pattern?
In that thread someone states they got blocked. But they are still there to complain. EACH time a single person blocks me I am suspended. Again in that thread there are users mentioning everyone. Again and again. 20 tweets to my one. They are not suspended. I am not the most mentiony or confronting user twitter has.

I still think my account got flagged somehow. Maybe as someone else said by being new and suddenly active.

It seems that you don't have the self awareness to understand what you are being told. Either that or you are just trolling here too.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

isoprenaline posted:

In my own little way I have changed some minds. A few people who had had the Gardasil vaccine, who then stumbled on the Anti-vacc bullshit on Twitter and were terrified that their cervixes were going to explode were appreciative of some correct info to put their minds at ease.

It's a tiny thing but was satisfying.

But most of my twittering IS with like minded people. I am minoring in pest, not full time.

If you're sole goal is to confront random strangers on the internet about their political beliefs, then you're kind of a dick. There's an old saying, "Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded." Learning to let poo poo slide without confrontation is an invaluable life skill. If you keep getting kicked off Twitter for your behavior, then change how you behave.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 17, 2013

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Also Twitter is not a platform for discussion or debate. It's a thing where you post 140 character long messages about the density of your poop or which hilarious thing you did or are going to do today.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

abraxas posted:

Also Twitter is not a platform for discussion or debate. It's a thing where you post 140 character long messages about the density of your poop or which hilarious thing you did or are going to do today.

Or sexting :stare:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So I live in a ghost town - it was an oil-boom town in the early 1900s but now it has a population of 6 (me and my husband and his parents and aunt and uncle). Anyway this town has a (I guess automatically created) Facebook place page that has nothing on it and no info about the town and I really doubt anyone is ever going to update it. Is there a way that I can become the owner/manager whatever of one of these "City" pages?

I have all sorts of pictures and history of the town but when you go to it's City page on Facebook, there's no pictures or info, all it has is a little widget with the temperature. I want to be the boss of this page! How do I do this?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
So I got given a "Galaxy tab 3" tablet. I have played with a iPad but really only to go online and play the app games.

Basically... can I play Plants vs Zombies, The Simpsons and all those other quality uses of my time? Does the type of tablet effect the apps I can use? Can I still use the Apple app store?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
They want you to have a website and they want it to be the official town website, and for you to be the equivalent of mayor@mytown.com. There may be other ways. There is some human interaction here (someone actually looks at your request and decides if you are important enough to run the facebook page), but it's masked by computer generated e-mails.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
No, you can't use apple apps on the Galaxy tablet. It runs on a different operating system, Andriod. There are a lot of games released for Andriod and I would bet PvZ has been. You would have to buy it separately though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

So I got given a "Galaxy tab 3" tablet. I have played with a iPad but really only to go online and play the app games.

Basically... can I play Plants vs Zombies, The Simpsons and all those other quality uses of my time? Does the type of tablet effect the apps I can use? Can I still use the Apple app store?

You can't use Apple apps from the App Store on an Android device like your Galaxy Tab3 but you can use apps from Google Play which is the same thing only not as good or maybe better I dunno. You can play the games you mentioned though. And loads of others.

edit: here is the SA android games thread

and the regular non-gaming app thread

e2: you are going to see, very soon, a black screen on which there is a small robot (the 'android') with the words KERNEL PANIC UPLOAD MODE in screaming yellow font and you are going to panic. Do not panic. Hold your off button for about an hour and the device will turn off and then reboot as if nothing happened, and you will have no idea why that thing that just happened happened or how to stop it happening in future. Enjoy!

I have a Galaxy Tab3.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 18, 2013

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Ok, thank you. Ill read up a bit before I open the box.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Ok, thank you. Ill read up a bit before I open the box.
If you still have a chance (and it's not a rude thing to do) you should consider returning it/giving it back. There's only one Android tablet worth using right now and that's not it. Samsung's Tab series is their budget line and they're even shittier than the average Android tablet (which is already poo poo).

A better place to ask these questions would be the tablet thread.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've seen in some movies that have submarines in them the crew all going quiet and whispering, making sure they don't drop a knife or fork so that the enemy can't locate them, is this really necessary?

Are there any sea creatures, like a blue whale that could sink a submarine?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm not sure what is going on here but I like it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

razz posted:

So I live in a ghost town - it was an oil-boom town in the early 1900s but now it has a population of 6 (me and my husband and his parents and aunt and uncle).

So, why do you live there?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Crankit posted:

I've seen in some movies that have submarines in them the crew all going quiet and whispering, making sure they don't drop a knife or fork so that the enemy can't locate them, is this really necessary?

Are there any sea creatures, like a blue whale that could sink a submarine?

Most of these films are WW2 era films, so I can't speak to how good the technology was then, but modern passive sonar can pick up all sorts of sounds. Loud sounds, especially sounds not normally found in the ocean reverberating from a giant metal cylinder will definitely stand out compared to more normal oceanic sounds.

I know I've read about a few submarines that have collided with whales and were heavily damaged, but not sunk. In theory, if it was hit in the right manner it could sink, but submarines are fairly sturdy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Douche4Sale posted:

Most of these films are WW2 era films, so I can't speak to how good the technology was then, but modern passive sonar can pick up all sorts of sounds. Loud sounds, especially sounds not normally found in the ocean reverberating from a giant metal cylinder will definitely stand out compared to more normal oceanic sounds.

I know I've read about a few submarines that have collided with whales and were heavily damaged, but not sunk. In theory, if it was hit in the right manner it could sink, but submarines are fairly sturdy.

Yes noise discipline is necessary in modern subs.

But they survive some crazy poo poo like running into the seafloor.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you still have a chance (and it's not a rude thing to do) you should consider returning it/giving it back. There's only one Android tablet worth using right now and that's not it. Samsung's Tab series is their budget line and they're even shittier than the average Android tablet (which is already poo poo).

A better place to ask these questions would be the tablet thread.

I cant return it,it was a gift brought cunningly well in advance I appreciate the advice though :)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

photomikey posted:

They want you to have a website and they want it to be the official town website, and for you to be the equivalent of mayor@mytown.com. There may be other ways. There is some human interaction here (someone actually looks at your request and decides if you are important enough to run the facebook page), but it's masked by computer generated e-mails.

I actually have been contemplating changing my job on Facebook to Mayor. I unofficially elected myself Mayor. But no there is no official website. I guess I could make one!

Tiggum posted:

So, why do you live there?

It was an oil town of about 1,000 people that went broke in the early part of the century, and all of the land that the town sat on plus the surrounding 7,000 or so acres belonged to my husband's great-grandfather. The name of the town is part of their last name. So, we still live here because we still own the land. Our houses are new (ish) and there aren't any standing structures from the original town besides a dilapidated one-room limestone block schoolhouse that my husband's grandfather attended as a child. We find stuff from the old town all the time. There's sidewalks, old wells, glass bottles, ancient cars etc. still laying around if you look hard enough. Actually that's a big part of my husband's job, picking up trash from the old town and selling the scrap metal. It's all prairie now. Nature took it back :)

This town still shows up on many maps even though it's not a "real" town anymore. But we still live here! Our address is actually for the next town east, about 10 miles away.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

razz posted:

So, we still live here because we still own the land.

You can own land without living on it though. Or sell it. Why would you want to live out in the middle of nowhere, miles from anyone outside your own family?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

You can own land without living on it though. Or sell it. Why would you want to live out in the middle of nowhere, miles from anyone outside your own family?

Dead things, Mikey.

Alternately, The Hills Have Glass Eyes.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Tiggum posted:

Because it's awesome! It's a working cattle ranch and my husband's place of employment. I do my graduate research on birds here (that's how we met). And we love living in the country! I love looking over the hills for miles and seeing nothing but a sea of grass.

All the land is in a trust that's collectively owned by a bunch of other family members so it can't be sold without a consensus. We're the only ones that live here since we're the ones that run the place, the other family members just live wherever. Why would we sell it? We love living here. It's a wonderful life in the country.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Razz does lots of naturey things, I'm sure she enjoys living there.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Hummingbirds posted:

Razz does lots of naturey things, I'm sure she enjoys living there.

Plus I can shoot a deer out my back door :clint:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razz posted:

Because it's awesome! It's a working cattle ranch and my husband's place of employment. I do my graduate research on birds here (that's how we met). And we love living in the country! I love looking over the hills for miles and seeing nothing but a sea of grass.

All the land is in a trust that's collectively owned by a bunch of other family members so it can't be sold without a consensus. We're the only ones that live here since we're the ones that run the place, the other family members just live wherever. Why would we sell it? We love living here. It's a wonderful life in the country.

How do you have internet?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Aside from living with my family, that sounds loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Turtlicious posted:

How do you have internet?

It's pretty cool actually. A couple years ago (before I met my husband so I don't know the details) there was some sort of rural broadband initiative to bring internet to rural homes. So some company came out and dug a trench all the way from town and gave us high-speed internet. Thanks Obama! We're the last house on the road, the road just goes for another ~40 minute drive to the next town with ZERO houses in between. So they dug like, 10 miles on gravel for maybe 30 people.

Oh and here's the funny part. Our closest neighbors (uncle and aunt) who live a mile closer to town and had the internet people dig a line through their yard decided they didn't want internet. So they don't have internet, and can't ever get it, unless the internet company comes out and digs a line to their house. Which they will have to pay for, but the hookup would have been free under the rural initiative. And they declined it! WTF!

hoobajoo posted:

Aside from living with my family, that sounds loving awesome.

Well I mean we have our own house, albeit RIGHT next to the in-laws. Who are cool as poo poo old hippies so it's pretty chill out here. And the aunt and uncle, I really never see them. Maybe once a week, if that. They're cool too.

razz fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 18, 2013