Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've installed Duel - Combat Realism and it honestly doesn't seem like this mod does anything. I found a critique about version 5 of this mod that pans it pretty hard and I'm thinking that the current version, which the author calls "hardcore" also doesn't do most of the things it advertises.

Probably going to have to live with Skyrim's melee combat being relatively uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DSauer posted:

I've installed Duel - Combat Realism and it honestly doesn't seem like this mod does anything. I found a critique about version 5 of this mod that pans it pretty hard and I'm thinking that the current version, which the author calls "hardcore" also doesn't do most of the things it advertises.

Probably going to have to live with Skyrim's melee combat being relatively uninteresting.

Duel - Combat Realism has been panned by a lot of folks in this thread. Try Deadly Combat. Neither will drastically change the core of combat, but I have definitely noticed differences with Deadly. NPCs will shield bash, roll around and flee to heal more often.

Also you could look at ASIS if you haven't already which'll allow enemies to use perks, spells from any mods you've installed, potions and whatnot. It takes a little more effort than most mods to install, but it can be fun once you get it working.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Is ASIS compatible with SPERG?

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

DSauer posted:

Using ASIS with SPERG it is recommended to disable perks in ASIS during install, as enemies with SPERG perks can cause issues. Deadly Combat overall is a nice tweak to combat, and if you find the adjusted damage/armor values to be too extreme all settings are tweakable in its menu. The author helpfully notes the default Skyrim values so you can slide damage back to normal and keep the nice effects of timed blocking and locational damage and then re-introduce higher damage once your character gets tougher.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Sounds good, I'll try those out. Thanks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DSauer posted:

I personally like running ASIS right alongside SPERG with no exclusions. The only thing I don't use is increased spawns, because 6 draugrs piling around 1 tomb looks stupid. But with the apocalypse spell package, SPERG, and ASIS... you'll be having a fun, challenging game! And Falmer will gently caress YOU UP.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think I've finalized my modlist for now, but I'm getting a couple problems:

There's an armor from IA v6 called hunter's armor. Sometimes when I wear the gauntlets with body armor that isn't also hunters', my wrists disappear - I have fingers of a glove, then an empty space, then my arm resumes. Is this an IA bug that I should report, or is it possible that it's due to some other mod messing with things?

Separately, I tried to fight Horsecrusher (Riften stables brawl guy), he started punching me but whenever I hit him it's criminal assault. I have both SPERG and Brawl Bugs Compatibility Edition installed, are they interfering? I even tried using SPERG's "brawl mode" and made sure to let him hit me first.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

kaschei posted:

There's an armor from IA v6 called hunter's armor. Sometimes when I wear the gauntlets with body armor that isn't also hunters', my wrists disappear

I got the missing wrists thing as well using IA6, so it's probably that, unless we're both using other mods that conflict with it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

chaosapiant posted:

I personally like running ASIS right alongside SPERG with no exclusions. The only thing I don't use is increased spawns, because 6 draugrs piling around 1 tomb looks stupid. But with the apocalypse spell package, SPERG, and ASIS... you'll be having a fun, challenging game! And Falmer will gently caress YOU UP.

Everything about this post is absolutely true. loving FALMER :argh: I do keep increased spawns on, though, but that is because I do like running with followers too through EFF.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Mad Archivist posted:

Everything about this post is absolutely true. loving FALMER :argh: I do keep increased spawns on, though, but that is because I do like running with followers too through EFF.

No poo poo. There is this one spell in the Apoc package, I forget the name, but it causes lightning damage to things you look at as long as you are casting it and keep your eyes on the enemy. It's fairly difficult to do as a player, but Falmer literally take this spell to the next level...and they're loving blind! I walk into a room of Gloomlurkers, and if i'm not sneaking, invisible, or otherwise undetectable, it's like the basilisks from Baldur's Gate, only i'm dead instead of turned into stoned.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

kaschei posted:

Separately, I tried to fight Horsecrusher (Riften stables brawl guy), he started punching me but whenever I hit him it's criminal assault. I have both SPERG and Brawl Bugs Compatibility Edition installed, are they interfering? I even tried using SPERG's "brawl mode" and made sure to let him hit me first.

Disabling the brawl compatibility patch fixed this for me.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any mods for the Civil War storyline? I really liked it and I saw an Overhaul at Nexus, but the description made it sound buggy and the guy made it came off as a bit of a jerk about it. Is it any good?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, I have no idea what's causing it, but I'm getting precog enemies: I sneak, line up a shot, and when I loose the arrow the enemy will just slide to the side and then slide back into position when the arrow passes; it doesn't happen every time and the enemies even move with the running animation when "dodging", but just really sped up.
Just so you won't spend ages digging around in your setup looking for the cause of that: That's a vanilla thing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Raygereio posted:

Just so you won't spend ages digging around in your setup looking for the cause of that: That's a vanilla thing.

Oh, I wasn't planning on it; It happens little enough to be more funny than a real issue. Thanks for the heads up, though, I never had that happen to me in vanilla so I was sure it was one of the mods I'm running.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

radlum posted:

I saw an Overhaul at Nexus, but the description made it sound buggy and the guy made it came off as a bit of a jerk about it. Is it any good?

No. While some of what it does is a okay, the rest is exceedingly unbalanced, somewhat nonsensical (giants in city sieges :confused:) and ultimately it'll really screw up your save.

It's fun to mess around with for an afternoon, but it's not a mod to have in your load order forevermore. It's really too bad, because a lot of the stuff it tries to fix would have been great in vanilla.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Immersive Creatures fun and balanced yet, or does it still have insane scaling/balance issues?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So by some bizzare string of random clicking on tabs I managed to create a pretty nice face using the Chargen extension mod I found on the Skyrim Nexus. It saved the face as a preset too, so I was wondering if it was sitting in a folder somewhere that I could c&p and keep about to use again if I ever uninstall skyrim. If it is, does anyone know where it might be or what I'd need to copy/paste?

Mod link here if anyone wants to make a freakish mutant or something and relive oblivion.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...6user%3D1&pUp=1

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

King Doom posted:

So by some bizzare string of random clicking on tabs I managed to create a pretty nice face using the Chargen extension mod I found on the Skyrim Nexus. It saved the face as a preset too, so I was wondering if it was sitting in a folder somewhere that I could c&p and keep about to use again if I ever uninstall skyrim. If it is, does anyone know where it might be or what I'd need to copy/paste?

Mod link here if anyone wants to make a freakish mutant or something and relive oblivion.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...6user%3D1&pUp=1

Do a search in your Data folder for *.slot; presets are saved as .slot files so they're pretty easy to find this way. Don't use SPF to save CharGen-enhanced faces as they'll lose whatever enhancements CharGen may have made.

Also, fellow ASIS-runners: you might want to include Inconsequential NPCs in the exclusion file if you have it. The issue is that the "Suspicious" NPCs (which are low-power fences unaffiliated with the Thieves Guild) end up getting swept into the Increased Spawns script, so occassionally you will encounter 2-6 of these merchants at a time. As for the rest of the mod, some of the VA work on original NPCs isn't top-shelf but it's not too terrible, and most NPCs use fragments from vanilla voicesets anyways so it's hardly an issue. Makes towns much more lively and immersive.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 18, 2013

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Are there any house mods with a nice, large trophy room with tons of mannequins? I looked at the most downloaded and endorsed player homes on the Nexus, but the ones I looked at still only had 4-8 mannequins in a home. I want to be able to display all of the high-end and unique armors found in Skyrim/Solstheim/mods, but I'd rather have it in one house or room and not spread across a dozen houses spanning all of Skyrim.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't know which of my mods is blinging out Deekin like this, but I like it!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DSauer posted:

I don't know which of my mods is blinging out Deekin like this, but I like it!

Immersive armors adds the pirate suit and eyepatch.

I'm not sure if I prefer the pirate look

or Hobo Captain Argonian

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

So after running Skyrim (almost) flawlessly for the past few weeks I have run into my first issue. There's a particular spot in Labyrinthian that causes my game to simply freeze, and in the background I can hear whatever sound was last (usually footsteps) loop and loop and loop. My installed mods are as follows:

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

(The top few are cut off - they're just the unofficial patches)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Sovngarde - Operation Comeback seems like a cool twist on 'no death' mods, anyone have experience with it?

And anyone know of any other 'no death' mods out besides "No Death Mod" and "SM Essential Player"? I've tried both those but they've been buggy in that if I'm not teleported away the guys that kill me usually bug out and decide to keep killing me even as a 'ghost'.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 19, 2013

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
I love how stable these games have become over the years. A lightly modded Oblivion never got anywhere close to stable as a super modded Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas have been for me.

Unfortunately I messed something up. My brother and I installed tons of lovely lovely mods individually on our separate systems, experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever, but now both crash at the WindhelmDocksExterior01 cell for some reason. Entering it through the Windhelm gate causes the crash without fail. Using the COC command to teleport to it and then entering an interior cell or saving the game causes the crash every time too. I'm going to get his mod list and load order to compare to mine but has anyone ever experienced anything similar? The Papyrus logs aren't helping me in this instance.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I just saw a mod a few days ago that I can not find anywhere. It was supposed to hide the general pick up / steal options for most of the mundane objects in the world such as pots and bottles. Does anyone know what it was called?

radlum
May 13, 2013
For some reason, Fort Dawnguard is bugged for me. There are many copies of Angmaer running around and the Moth Priest is occassionally aggro agains the DG guys and Sorine has dissappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Installing ASIS... I won't be using increased spawns though, just added spells and such. any recommendations for exclusions? Mods I'm using that come to mind:
SPERG (saw the discussion above... debating it)
Immersive Creatures
Immersive Patrols
Dragon Combat Overhaul
Civil War Overhaul (yes, these are probably buggy and the author is definitely crazy, but I'm going to try it)
Apocalypse
Inconsequential NPCs
Interesting NPCs
Aurora - Doomstones
Moonpath
Wyrmstooth
Organized Bandits
Deadly Combat
Thunderchild

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 19, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Does anyone know where I can find a what does the fox say mod? I want it to be something like the dovahbear mod only where hes singing that song and hes also a fox. I'll also accept if instead of a fox its a re-skinned bear that looks like a fox.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm trying to go back to an old character and I'm getting shittons of CTDs. I'm guessing it's because I'm not running the same mix of mods any more. What's the easiest way to see the list of mods that were associated with that savegame?
Also, will a rough upgrade of SPERG (without doing the uninstall -> clean save -> new version) break anything? I don't want to track down the old version I was using back then and install it so I can uninstall it from the save.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
I hope this is the right thread for this. I wanted to ask you guys about modded followers and get your opinions on what you think has worked and hasn't worked with them. And not just limited to Skyrim, but all the Gamebryo games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.

Basically I've written and storyboarded a companion mod that I'm going to to make for Fallout 4, when/if it ever comes out. (and assuming Bethesda still allows these kinds of mods in it. ) I've played all of the popular follower mods such as Vilja in Skyrim, Willow in Fallout: NV, as well as several of the less popular ones; I found myself constantly frustrated at how often these things seem to be little more than thinly veiled Tamagotchi sex bots thrown together by creepy guys with an obsession for pixelated boobs. Vilja was probably the closest to being really enjoyable, but I found that the recording quality of her voice grated on my ears--it sounds almost like it was recorded on a Macbook microphone. I'm fortunate enough to have access to an actual voice actress as well as a recording studio, so I'm sweating that detail a bit less than I am the others.

I've been making a list of things to include/avoid in these kinds of mods, as my primary goal is to avoid frustrating the player while still providing a mature and interesting story/experience. It would be great to hear some thoughts, or things you wished you had seen with previous companion mods. I know the most common complaints I've seen are: 1) Too much irrelevant chatter 2) Boring fetch quests (not sure how much of this particular problem is due to limitations of Bethesda's engine)

Is there anything else I should clearly avoid? Or that you think I should include? Thanks in advance for any help--after years of enjoying mods that other people have made, I'm looking forward to contributing something of my own. :)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Preem Palver posted:

Are there any house mods with a nice, large trophy room with tons of mannequins? I looked at the most downloaded and endorsed player homes on the Nexus, but the ones I looked at still only had 4-8 mannequins in a home. I want to be able to display all of the high-end and unique armors found in Skyrim/Solstheim/mods, but I'd rather have it in one house or room and not spread across a dozen houses spanning all of Skyrim.

I'd like reccomendations on this as well, I'd love to find a player home with a decent trophy room instead of one mannequin hidden in a secret room because 'oh noes they move scary!'

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

There's Jaggarsfeld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewLpxKmYZk

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nika posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this. I wanted to ask you guys about modded followers and get your opinions on what you think has worked and hasn't worked with them. And not just limited to Skyrim, but all the Gamebryo games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.

Basically I've written and storyboarded a companion mod that I'm going to to make for Fallout 4, when/if it ever comes out. (and assuming Bethesda still allows these kinds of mods in it. ) I've played all of the popular follower mods such as Vilja in Skyrim, Willow in Fallout: NV, as well as several of the less popular ones; I found myself constantly frustrated at how often these things seem to be little more than thinly veiled Tamagotchi sex bots thrown together by creepy guys with an obsession for pixelated boobs. Vilja was probably the closest to being really enjoyable, but I found that the recording quality of her voice grated on my ears--it sounds almost like it was recorded on a Macbook microphone. I'm fortunate enough to have access to an actual voice actress as well as a recording studio, so I'm sweating that detail a bit less than I am the others.

I've been making a list of things to include/avoid in these kinds of mods, as my primary goal is to avoid frustrating the player while still providing a mature and interesting story/experience. It would be great to hear some thoughts, or things you wished you had seen with previous companion mods. I know the most common complaints I've seen are: 1) Too much irrelevant chatter 2) Boring fetch quests (not sure how much of this particular problem is due to limitations of Bethesda's engine)

Is there anything else I should clearly avoid? Or that you think I should include? Thanks in advance for any help--after years of enjoying mods that other people have made, I'm looking forward to contributing something of my own. :)

The biggest thing I enjoy in a companion is their ability to remark on different things in the game. The dark elf merc from Dragonborn is a good example. Anything that adds a fairly simple quest, similar to an NPC in Baldur's Gate is welcome also. Or you can go all out and tie them into the main story similar to Julan the Ashlander companion from Morrowind.

As for Vilja though...she was written and designed by a woman, and the romance was never added until much later (in Oblivion at least, she may have had it to start in Skyrim) because so many people requested it, and part of her story/dialogue was written by Terry Pratchet, for better or for worse. I agree that her voice acting isn't the best. It was awesome in Oblivion because everyone else sounded lovely, but she sounds too timid and meek in Skyrim where the VA is actually good in the game. But she is still, to me, the shining gold example of an NPC companion done right.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Installing ASIS... I won't be using increased spawns though, just added spells and such. any recommendations for exclusions? Mods I'm using that come to mind:
Immersive Creatures
Immersive Patrols
Dragon Combat Overhaul
Civil War Overhaul (yes, these are probably buggy and the author is definitely crazy, but I'm going to try it)
Apocalypse
Inconsequential NPCs
Interesting NPCs
Aurora - Doomstones
Moonpath
Wyrmstooth
Organized Bandits
Deadly Combat
Thunderchild

It looks like your excluding every mod that could make ASIS interesting. And if you aren't doing increased spawns, I don't see a reason to exclude Immersive Patrols. The only mod i've every excluded, which you don't have listed, is Deadly Dragons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Immersive Creatures
Immersive Patrols
Dragon Combat Overhaul
Apocalypse
Inconsequential NPCs
Interesting NPCs
Aurora - Doomstones
Moonpath
Wyrmstooth
Organized Bandits
Deadly Combat
Thunderchild

... So what exactly would be the point of running ASIS if you exclude everything?

I use most of those mods myself and don't exclude anything. Falmer are a bit tricky, but it makes the game much more exciting. (I also use some companion mods so I don't know how it plays if you're just going solo or with a person+ Riekling/Troll/Dog. Make sure you pick up the 40 speech perk for an animal companion, the Dwarven Spider and Baby Mammoth are both really useful)

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This is my first foray into Skyrim modding and I've run into a problem pretty early on. After fighting the first dragon at the watchtower I am not absorbing it's soul. The corpse is lootable and has a quest marker over it, but nothing happens when I stand next to / in it. The only gameplay changing mod that I have installed is "Alternate Start". The rest are unofficial patches and visual mods. Any suggestions?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This is my first foray into Skyrim modding and I've run into a problem pretty early on. After fighting the first dragon at the watchtower I am not absorbing it's soul. The corpse is lootable and has a quest marker over it, but nothing happens when I stand next to / in it. The only gameplay changing mod that I have installed is "Alternate Start". The rest are unofficial patches and visual mods. Any suggestions?

You're not the Dragonborn. Sorry, dude.

But I think that's one of the unofficial patches messing up - I remember the problem being talked about a while ago. If I'm remembering right there should be a hotfix for it on the same page as you download the patch itself.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

poptart_fairy posted:

You're not the Dragonborn. Sorry, dude.

Hahaha, this would make a great joke mod: when starting a new character, you have a chance of not being the dragonborn. You can do every other quest except for the main one and can never get the shouts. :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

It looks like your excluding every mod that could make ASIS interesting. And if you aren't doing increased spawns, I don't see a reason to exclude Immersive Patrols. The only mod i've every excluded, which you don't have listed, is Deadly Dragons.

Zore posted:

... So what exactly would be the point of running ASIS if you exclude everything?

I use most of those mods myself and don't exclude anything. Falmer are a bit tricky, but it makes the game much more exciting. (I also use some companion mods so I don't know how it plays if you're just going solo or with a person+ Riekling/Troll/Dog. Make sure you pick up the 40 speech perk for an animal companion, the Dwarven Spider and Baby Mammoth are both really useful)

You misunderstood me, I'm not considering excluding all of those. I was just wondering if any of the mods I was running had compatibility issues, so I listed all the mods I was running that would have an impact on ASIS. I'd prefer to exclude none, but wanted to make sure. I did see a recommendation to exclude Immersive Patrols but maybe that recommendation was only in regard to the increased spawns aspect of ASIS.

• Locked thread