Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:siren:Sengoku update for 2.02:siren:

removed ck2plus
updated to patch 2.02
added dejure kingdom titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Allyn posted:

High learning would vaguely help get him elected to the college of cardinals, but the gain is marginal at best and largely irrelevant if you're not Italian. Just nominate whoever you want, frankly. I never bother unless I'm specifically trying to disqualify people from inheritance. The game will auto-generate someone to fill the gap if you don't specify someone, and they'll always have a learning education, so if your current court chaplain sucks then that's likely your best bet of getting a better one.

One more good use for free investiture bishop nomination is to pick people with compatible traits and a high opinion of you. It helps make sure they're good vassals and pay you taxes.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sorry son, that's what you get for converting to christianity. That's what you get!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Saurus posted:

Sorry son, that's what you get for converting to christianity. That's what you get!

What the heck is that gold blood drop?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

What the heck is that gold blood drop?

CK2 plus thing I think.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Anyone used this Themata mod?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736914-Byzantine-Themata-System

Seems interesting, as I've always been kinda bummed at how Byzantium is just feudalized in CK2, but in my experience mods like this don't always work out too well.

EDIT: Also holy crap playing vanilla CK2 after always playing CK2+ feels like easy mode, except with annoying factions that revolt all the time. Is there really no cool down on holy wars? I started up at the Alexiad date as Alexios and holy warred the Pechenegs out of Wallachia, saw that Rum was getting hit by a Crusade for Greece (which apparently includes Nikaea and other parts of western Anatolia?), and holy warred them right after I cleaned up the Pechenegs. I'm expanding like crazy.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 17, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Saurus posted:

Couldn't you have landed him, sent a gift, given a symbolic title, and had him reconvert to Norse?

I'm assuming one of his little brothers had better stats?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Fintilgin posted:

Couldn't you have landed him, sent a gift, given a symbolic title, and had him reconvert to Norse?

I'm assuming one of his little brothers had better stats?

His brothers were still too young to tell. Gavelkind kind of encourages you to limit the amount of sons you have knocking around, but mainly I was roleplaying the fact that his dad is an angry dick. I let out an actual viking howl of rage when I saw that the Emperor's bishop I let stay in the kingdom for good relations had converted my firstborn and put both of them in the dungeons for the blot BBQ.

Having catholic vassals can pay off pretty well when blot time rolls around though, after I took over the kingdom of Alba with a prepared invasion about half of my new vassals there gave me 20 gold a piece so they wouldn't have to attend, not a bad chunk of change.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Fintilgin posted:

If he's not reformed he can't, but hard to tell from that screenshot whether he is or not

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Allyn posted:

If he's not reformed he can't, but hard to tell from that screenshot whether he is or not

Nope, not reformed. So you can't demand religious conversion if you're [old] Norse before you've reformed?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Saurus posted:

Nope, not reformed. So you can't demand religious conversion if you're [old] Norse before you've reformed?

None of the pagan religions can demand conversion until they are reformed. Coupled with the limitation to low crown authority for unreformed pagans this makes it quite difficult to convert the populace of conquered lands.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Wow the Voice of Jesus event is awesome, I just got a +20 Martial boost for taking military advice from Christ himself.

Hurray Possessed trait! :woop:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Huzzah, the Game of Thrones mod finally added Essos today as well as a ton of new poo poo

http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic4502.html

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Riso posted:

removed ck2plus
updated to patch 2.02

You are a hero.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
1) The new crusades seem a bit buggy. I won a crusade for Hungary, which instead went to some deposed Arpad. I believe that's supposed to happen, but for some reason she didn't get the kingdom title, just all of the holdings so now she's a count with 25 counties that she can't divvy out.
2) Has anyone vassalized a holy order yet? I tried to do it but didn't realize that you have to be at peace in order to do so. What kind of cost reduction do you get?
3) I went back to tutorial island for the first time in like 600 hours to try for that emperor achievement and to try out tanistry for the first time. I can't ever seem to figure out who they want to vote for (sometimes old, sometimes young, etc.) just that they will never vote for my choice.
4) The biggest change with the levy nerfs that I've found is that is now much harder to run around assaulting holdings for quick wins, which in turn requires you to raise levies for a long time in order to wait out sieges, which makes people hate you, which slows down expansion.
5) I wish there was an easy way to find who the Pope hates so you could grab claims more easily.
6) Has anyone played around with the college/gotten someone instituted as Pope? What benefits did it give?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

jpmeyer posted:

2) Has anyone vassalized a holy order yet? I tried to do it but didn't realize that you have to be at peace in order to do so. What kind of cost reduction do you get?

5) I wish there was an easy way to find who the Pope hates so you could grab claims more easily.

In my Jewish game I vassalized the Zealots and raising them up is free with iirc a cost of like 3 gold a month to keep them up. I ended up with the Zealots title after the grandmaster died and the upkeep was free, the problem was they seemed to be stuck at a force of 4400 so they were kinda weak :(

For the second part, if you click on the county you want to claim and hit the Opinion button on the minimap, if you hover over Rome you can see the Pope's opinion of that count or duke, that might help. You'd have to keep clicking around the counties, but it's better than nothing.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2013

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

hellsjudge posted:

In my Jewish game I vassalized the Zealots and raising them up is free with iirc a cost of like 3 gold a month to keep them up. I ended up with the Zealots title after the grandmaster died and the upkeep was free, the problem was they seemed to be stuck at a force of 4400 so they were kinda weak :(

For the second part, if you click on the county you want to claim and hit the Opinion button on the minimap, if you hover over Rome you can see the Pope's opinion of that count or duke, that might help. You'd have to keep clicking around the counties, but it's better than nothing.

4400 men is a lot now! The strongest realms in my current game (HRE/ERE/Fatties) are around 40,000 and ones like France or Castile are about 15,000.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I control all of Ireland now. Should I hold on to the duchy titles within Ireland or give them to vassals? Right now there are 2 dukes under me, so there are 3 votes to choose my successor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Riso posted:

removed ck2plus
updated to patch 2.02

I'll have to give that a try, thanks for doing the work!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ugh. I've been playing an ironman of Pisa, and when I loaded it up, all the garrisons I built in trade posts are gone-- so my retinue cap dropped by, like, 10k. Gotta rebuild this before I get smacked by the HRE. Oh well.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I start up an Ironman save with the new patch and within seconds, half my vassals are revolting (they all had green opinion before the patch, now most of them have tons of retarded negative modifiers, like zealous content christians hating me because I'm a zealous christian too, what the gently caress). My empire is suddenly named Alba instead of Britannia, the three non-christian regions in it have suddenly turned into no less than fourteen, and my vassals will get pissed if I execute an imprisoned Norwegian nobody that I captured in a war ages ago (while they didn't give a poo poo before the patch, like they should). Five minutes later, the Aztecs invade with 64k troops out of loving nowhere, while I can raise 16k at most. Thanks for the bullshit game over, Paradox.

Oh, and my messages only contain the basic context framework, so I know that someone is planning to kill someone else or that defenders somewhere were demoralized, but it won't tell me who or where anymore. Is there any way to roll back a version?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Also, my cities all have had their tech stuff rolled back so that they barely have fortifications. C'mon, guys. :smith:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Which patch is this that's causing all the issues? The 2.0.2 one that just dropped Monday?

Weird that I wasn't seeing or hearing about any issues like that in the beta ones. What did they do, change a bunch of random stuff in the release version?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

I control all of Ireland now. Should I hold on to the duchy titles within Ireland or give them to vassals? Right now there are 2 dukes under me, so there are 3 votes to choose my successor.

You generally don't hold onto duchies except if you are still a duke yourself. Except of course the duchy in which you own the counties. But you will normally hold on to only one or two duchies and concentrate your demesne in them. In elective monarchy it even gives an opinion penalty to hold more than two elector titles (duchies in a kingdom, duchies and kingdoms in an empire).

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

You generally don't hold onto duchies except if you are still a duke yourself. Except of course the duchy in which you own the counties. But you will normally hold on to only one or two duchies and concentrate your demesne in them. In elective monarchy it even gives an opinion penalty to hold more than two elector titles (duchies in a kingdom, duchies and kingdoms in an empire).

I'm still kind of confused by demesne. My capital is in Dublin, so I guess I should hold the duchy of Tara and some of the counties within Tara?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DrPop posted:

Anyone used this Themata mod?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736914-Byzantine-Themata-System

Seems interesting, as I've always been kinda bummed at how Byzantium is just feudalized in CK2, but in my experience mods like this don't always work out too well.

EDIT: Also holy crap playing vanilla CK2 after always playing CK2+ feels like easy mode, except with annoying factions that revolt all the time. Is there really no cool down on holy wars? I started up at the Alexiad date as Alexios and holy warred the Pechenegs out of Wallachia, saw that Rum was getting hit by a Crusade for Greece (which apparently includes Nikaea and other parts of western Anatolia?), and holy warred them right after I cleaned up the Pechenegs. I'm expanding like crazy.

I've been playing with Themata, and liking it. It's fairly mechanically light, which I think is what saves it from being another spergy Rome mod, and its changes weaken the empire more than they strengthen it. Basically, if Byzantium holds the western parts of Anatolia then the basileus has the option to raise crown authority to medium and institute the themata system via decision. This means that anytime a Doux dies his successor has to petition the emperor to keep his seat; if he is refused then the basileus can imprison him without tyranny. Generally the AI doesn't gently caress around with it too much which is nice. If anatolia is lost then you are stuck in low authority and you lose the themata options. Additionally, there are some nice changes to the 1066 Seljuq invasion which make it as historically devastating as it was: if the greeks lose then Armenia and the Anatolian interior are both lost by event and the Sultanate of Rum spawns. I think the modder is also planning some mechanics to differentiate "strong" and "weak" emperors, which could be really cool or really unbearably annoying.

e: He's also working on a separate mod for the 867 start in CK2+ which sounds really promising. Basically it would allow the HRE to form dynamically from any two Frankish kingdoms with a strong non-Karling ruler. That would be pretty rad.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Which patch is this that's causing all the issues? The 2.0.2 one that just dropped Monday?

Weird that I wasn't seeing or hearing about any issues like that in the beta ones. What did they do, change a bunch of random stuff in the release version?

Yeah, that's another thing that I just noticed, all my holdings have reverted to their initial state. I can understand this stuff happening with an update, but it pisses me off that I just lost nearly a month of wrestling with this complex as gently caress game because of it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm still kind of confused by demesne. My capital is in Dublin, so I guess I should hold the duchy of Tara and some of the counties within Tara?

Right. Although Tara only has two counties (Dublin and the landlocked one to the west of it), which will be under your demesne limit in nearly all cases (demesne=Holdings you personally hold yourself, so every county you are the count of, and every castle/city/church you personally hold in addition to the county capital). You should probably hold the duchy of Ulster or Munster in addition to the duchy of Tara.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I've been playing with Themata, and liking it. It's fairly mechanically light, which I think is what saves it from being another spergy Rome mod, and its changes weaken the empire more than they strengthen it. Basically, if Byzantium holds the western parts of Anatolia then the basileus has the option to raise crown authority to medium and institute the themata system via decision. This means that anytime a Doux dies his successor has to petition the emperor to keep his seat; if he is refused then the basileus can imprison him without tyranny. Generally the AI doesn't gently caress around with it too much which is nice. If anatolia is lost then you are stuck in low authority and you lose the themata options. Additionally, there are some nice changes to the 1066 Seljuq invasion which make it as historically devastating as it was: if the greeks lose then Armenia and the Anatolian interior are both lost by event and the Sultanate of Rum spawns. I think the modder is also planning some mechanics to differentiate "strong" and "weak" emperors, which could be really cool or really unbearably annoying.

e: He's also working on a separate mod for the 867 start in CK2+ which sounds really promising. Basically it would allow the HRE to form dynamically from any two Frankish kingdoms with a strong non-Karling ruler. That would be pretty rad.

Both of these ideas are :krad:. Both empires needed these sorts of mechanics, especially in 876 starts.

I hope this guy keeps developing CK2+-related stuff that is not awful!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fuligin posted:

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. I'll give it a try. Does the Themata system apply to ALL Byzantine duchies when they've got Anatolia + Med Crown Authority, or just the themes/duchies in Anatolia? And how do you dig CK2+ with SoA so far? I started playing vanilla again last night after a two-month hiatus and it felt too...easy, I guess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DrPop posted:

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. I'll give it a try. Does the Themata system apply to ALL Byzantine duchies when they've got Anatolia + Med Crown Authority, or just the themes/duchies in Anatolia? And how do you dig CK2+ with SoA so far? I started playing vanilla again last night after a two-month hiatus and it felt too...easy, I guess.

It applies to all Byzantine duchies, I don't think its possible via modding to determine it by specific title alone. CK2+ has taken a lot of flack on SA recently. I still think it's the best overhaul mod around by a country mile, and I actually like the new map, except for absurdities like the channel islands and a five province iceland. Apparently they're trimming those, though, so that's nice. I dislike strongly the inclusion of the "ancient religions" into the base mod. It's dumb as hell that if say, the Orthodox are getting pounded by Islam that half the doux of the empire will spontaneously flip to Hellenism, which happened in my last game. Also they inexplicably changed the Mongol empire titles into theocracies, so you can't play them without console switching. Don't know what's up with that. Also Norse have been so badly neutered that I don't even know why you would bother to play them, although that may have been Wiz. On the whole though, it's still much more playable (albeit slower) than vanilla, and the things that really annoy me in CK2 (rebels, claimant adventurers, loving event troops in general) are consequences of recent patches.

Oh except they took out the female module which is dumb and inexcusable.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I also had issues with the 2.02 patch. Suddenly many of my buildings were canceled/deleted in my provinces, and many provinces are stuck as if they were building something, and won't let me progress.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Also they inexplicably changed the Mongol empire titles into theocracies, so you can't play them without console switching. Don't know what's up with that.

I think this was done when Old Gods was added so people wouldn't switch to the Hordes and steamroll everything

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

hellsjudge posted:

Wow the Voice of Jesus event is awesome, I just got a +20 Martial boost for taking military advice from Christ himself.

Hurray Possessed trait! :woop:

Sometimes you get someone with a double connection. This guy is the finest commander I have ever had, regardless of being a gay possessed heretic scholar.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hellsjudge posted:

I think this was done when Old Gods was added so people wouldn't switch to the Hordes and steamroll everything

Really? That is... silly. If people want to roll over everything as the Golden Horde I don't see why the devs ought to stop them.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the EU4 thread, but I exported my Roman Empire game and all the Orthodox counties in CK2 now have "noreligion" in EU4. It's kind of bizarre.

There are a couple remaining Catholic provinces, but it looks like none of the Orthodox stuff was exported properly.
It's not really a big deal since I'll probably never get around to playing with that exported game anyway.
I guess that's how you make an empire of atheists though.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

My success in CKII is beginning to mirror how war evolved in real life Europe. I no longer ever rely on my vassals to to provide levies, except in dire emergencies or to squash peasant revolts that pop up on the opposite side of the Mediterranean that retinue army is on.

My vassals are basically only there to generate revenue. I took the most valuable counties for myself, then adjusted the laws to reduce levy obligations and increase taxes across the board. I then invested that money in training grounds for my castles, and assassinating enemy leaders so I could renew wars against them quickly.
m with
I think I can refine this a little further. I'm going to try and revoke as many feudal vassals as I can, to replace them with clergy and burghers.

I love this game's events

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Fuligin posted:

It's dumb as hell that if say, the Orthodox are getting pounded by Islam that half the doux of the empire will spontaneously flip to Hellenism, which happened in my last game.

It's not as unrealistic as you'd think, but it's still highly unlikely and dumb as hell:

Runciman, The Fall of Constantinople, Chapter 1 posted:

By a whim of history this period of political decline [1300-1453 AD] was accompanied by a cultural life more eager and more productive than had been known at at any other time in Byzantine history. Artistically and intellectually the Palaeologan era was outstanding… Intellectual life, however, which was less dependent on financial backing, lasted brilliantly on. The University of Constantinople had been refounded at the end of the thirteenth century by Theodore Metochites, a man of fine fast and learning, to whose patronage the decoration of the Chora had been due. He inspired the remarkable generation of scholars that followed…

...An even more remarkable scholar, George Gemistus Plethon, slighly younger than Briennius, moved during these years [the early 1400s] from his native Constantinople to take up his residence at Mistra under the patronage of the Emperor's most erudite sons, the Despot Theodore II of the Morea. There he founded a Platonic Academy and wrote a number of books pleading for a reorganization of the state along Platonic lines. Only this, he thought, would revive the Greek world. He offered suggestions on social, economic, and military affairs, few of which were really practicable. In religion he advocated a Platonic cosmology, with a touch of Epicureanism and Zoroastrianism added. Though nominally Orthodox he had little use for Christianity and liked to write of God as Zeus. His religious views were never openly published. The manuscript in which he aired them fell, after his death and after the fall of Constantinople, into the hands of his old friend and disputant, the Patriarch Gennadius, who read it with growing fascination and horror and at the end reluctantly ordered it to be burnt. Only a few fragments remain.

While Plethon here was an extreme outlier, the extremely late period of the Byzantine empire saw a cultural reidentification as being "Greek" in nature rather than being Roman among the intelligentsia, which happened at the same time as a renewed academic and artistic interest in Classical pre-Christian philosophy and art alongside copious amounts of existential dread and despair. This dovetailed with the later Renaissance in Italy once the Byzantines were conquered by the Ottomans.

This is more EUIV territory, but any revitalization of the Byzantines in the 15th Century (or 13th-14th, even) would have changed the culture and administration of the Empire just as much as the transition from the Principate to the Dominion under Diocletian or the conversion of Constantine did. Of course, any EUIV national ideas not built on restoring old institutions are just conjectural and wouldn't appeal to fanboys, but it would have been neat to see an idea track that made a weird Renaissance Rome which passively absorbed a lot of Turkish / Italian cultural and religious traits rather than NOVAAA ROMAAA. But again, that's for the EUIV thread.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fuligin posted:

It applies to all Byzantine duchies, I don't think its possible via modding to determine it by specific title alone. CK2+ has taken a lot of flack on SA recently. I still think it's the best overhaul mod around by a country mile, and I actually like the new map, except for absurdities like the channel islands and a five province iceland. Apparently they're trimming those, though, so that's nice. I dislike strongly the inclusion of the "ancient religions" into the base mod. It's dumb as hell that if say, the Orthodox are getting pounded by Islam that half the doux of the empire will spontaneously flip to Hellenism, which happened in my last game. Also they inexplicably changed the Mongol empire titles into theocracies, so you can't play them without console switching. Don't know what's up with that. Also Norse have been so badly neutered that I don't even know why you would bother to play them, although that may have been Wiz. On the whole though, it's still much more playable (albeit slower) than vanilla, and the things that really annoy me in CK2 (rebels, claimant adventurers, loving event troops in general) are consequences of recent patches.

Oh except they took out the female module which is dumb and inexcusable.

Word. I'll give it a try after they update to 2.0.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I think I can refine this a little further. I'm going to try and revoke as many feudal vassals as I can, to replace them with clergy and burghers.

Just remember there's a cap now on theocracies and grand cities which is like 10% or so of your total kingdom, so don't revoke everything and get a giant tyranny opinion only to be left with counties you can't give to bishops.

On that note, I saw the new patch allowed you to give a "higher than duke" title to one theocracy, but I tried giving the kingdom of Burgundy to a duke-level theocracy and it didn't show up on the list of titles to grant, what gives :(?

• Locked thread