Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Did anyone order some positive feedback loops with a side order of "oh gently caress"?

quote:

The Cambridge research, led by Dr Andrew Friend from the University’s Department of Geography, is part of the ‘Inter-Sectoral Impact Model Intercomparison Project’ (ISI-MIP) - a unique community-driven effort to bring research on climate change impacts to a new level, with the first wave of research published today in a special issue of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“Global vegetation contains large carbon reserves that are vulnerable to climate change, and so will determine future atmospheric CO2,” said Friend, lead author of this paper. “The impacts of climate on vegetation will affect biodiversity and ecosystem status around the world.”

“This work pulls together all the latest understanding of climate change and its impacts on global vegetation - it really captures our understanding at the global level.”

The ISI-MIP team used seven global vegetation models, including Hybrid - the model that Friend has been honing for fifteen years - and the latest IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) modelling. These were run exhaustively using supercomputers - including Cambridge’s own Darwin computer, which can easily accomplish overnight what would take a PC months - to create simulations of future scenarios:

“We use data to work out the mathematics of how the plant grows - how it photosynthesises, takes-up carbon and nitrogen, competes with other plants, and is affected by soil nutrients and water - and we do this for different vegetation types,” explained Friend.

“The whole of the land surface is understood in 2,500 km2 portions. We then input real climate data up to the present and look at what might happen every 30 minutes right up until 2099.”

While there are differences in the outcomes of some of the models, most concur that the amount of time carbon lingers in vegetation is the key issue, and that global warming of 4 degrees or more - currently predicted by the end of this century - marks the point at which carbon in vegetation reaches capacity.

“In heatwaves, ecosystems can emit more CO2 than they absorb from the atmosphere,” said Friend. “We saw this in the 2003 European heatwave when temperatures rose 6°C above average - and the amount of CO2 produced was sufficient to reverse the effect of four years of net ecosystem carbon sequestration.”

For Friend, this research should feed into policy: “To make policy you need to understand the impact of decisions.

“The idea here is to understand at what point the increase in global temperature starts to have serious effects across all the sectors, so that policy makers can weigh up impacts of allowing emissions to go above a certain level, and what mitigation strategies are necessary.”

The ISI-MIP team is coordinated by the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria, and involves two-dozen research groups from eight countries.
- See more at: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/4-degree-temperature-rise-will-end-vegetation-carbon-sink#sthash.ojWU7KjG.dpuf

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

No, I ordered the exact opposite of that. Thanks for nothing!

Great. Another fun news story for me to cry myself to sleep with.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
Even if a worst-case scenario eventuates, there are realistic geo-engineering schemes that could be deployed to mitigate it, obviously with pretty severe side effects. There's still no reason to think that the humans of 2100 will be worse off than those alive today, it's pretty certain the opposite will be the case.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know man. The current global capitalist economy has already shown a pretty poor track record of dealing with large scale externalities, I'm not sure how you can be so certain that humanity as a whole will be better off ~85 years from now when the double whammy of climate change and peak fossil fuel based energy is coming down the pipeline.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

rscott posted:

I don't know man. The current global capitalist economy has already shown a pretty poor track record of dealing with large scale externalities, I'm not sure how you can be so certain that humanity as a whole will be better off ~85 years from now when the double whammy of climate change and peak fossil fuel based energy is coming down the pipeline.

See, the funny thing is that during the section of my Economics class on negative externalities, our teacher gave us an essay saying "Capitalism doesn't fail to deal with negative externalities. Governments just don't assign property rights correctly."

How the gently caress are you supposed to assign property rights to the loving air!?

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Arkane posted:

Not as simple as that. The Arctic has clouds that are found to warm the surface during most of the year, but summer clouds (when sea ice melts) cool the surface

I'm not an atmospheric scientist. However, this statement is a bit broad in the context of the paper, which measured cloud forcing over the course of 1 year, 15 years ago:

Article posted:

The results show that, over the course of the year, the net effect of Arctic clouds is to warm the surface with a slight cooling effect present for a short period during summer.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

satan!!! posted:

There's still no reason to think that the humans of 2100 will be worse off than those alive today, it's pretty certain the opposite will be the case.

Yeah, no, it's not at all certain, which is kind of why scientists are raising the alarm about this stuff.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
I think our capacity for poor decision is exceeded by our capacity for creativity and finding solutions when things are really serious. I'm also pretty skeptical of peak energy concerns - I was pretty hardcore into peak oil back in 2006, when it supposedly peaked and apocalypse was just around the corner. History has shown the Malthusians to be wrong over and over again, and there are vast energy sources still to be tapped if we set our minds to it.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Apparently you didn't understand peak oil, either?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

satan!!! posted:

Even if a worst-case scenario eventuates, there are realistic geo-engineering schemes that could be deployed to mitigate it, obviously with pretty severe side effects. There's still no reason to think that the humans of 2100 will be worse off than those alive today, it's pretty certain the opposite will be the case.

Except geoengineering costs money which could be spent on better things, right now, before the world economy shits a brick.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

satan!!! posted:

I think our capacity for poor decision is exceeded by our capacity for creativity and finding solutions when things are really serious. I'm also pretty skeptical of peak energy concerns - I was pretty hardcore into peak oil back in 2006, when it supposedly peaked and apocalypse was just around the corner. History has shown the Malthusians to be wrong over and over again, and there are vast energy sources still to be tapped if we set our minds to it.

Watched the scientists throw up their hands conceding, "progress will resolve it all"
Saw the manufacturers of earth's debris ignore another green peace call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jW5BA060Kg

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Paper Mac posted:

Apparently you didn't understand peak oil, either?

I'm not an expert but I think I have a basic understanding. I'm referring to the hysteria on theoildrum.com and in other circles around that time when people were seriously predicting $250+/barrel, which obviously never eventuated. Obviously oil production will eventually peak, but I'm no longer convinced that will be accompanied by as many negative consequences as some people claim.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

satan!!! posted:

I'm not an expert but I think I have a basic understanding. I'm referring to the hysteria on theoildrum.com and in other circles around that time when people were seriously predicting $250+/barrel, which obviously never eventuated. Obviously oil production will eventually peak, but I'm no longer convinced that will be accompanied by as many negative consequences as some people claim.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but oil prices now (when adjusted for inflation) are as higher than any point since the American Civil War, save for the peak of the oil crisis. Even then, in the last decade, that peak has been surpassed at times.

See: http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Rate/Historical_Oil_Prices_Table.asp

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

satan!!! posted:

That's great, but there's still no reason to be "certain" that people will be materially unaffected by increasing ecological dysfunction or the erosion of the resource base used to support that material standard of living, which is why people who study this stuff for a living are concerned about these issues.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

satan!!! posted:

Peak oil is kind of hard to determine because oil production is based on what the price of oil will be - obviously stuff that costs more to extract wouldn't be viable unless oil is more expensive. There will be a point (and arguably we've hit it already) where people can't feasibly buy the oil, however, and when that happens then society either has to adapt or a lot of bad things will happen.

Basically, peak oil is kind of a misnomer because it assumes that the supply of oil will be the limiting factor, instead of the demand of the oil at the current price.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

I think "no big deal" is not really what I am saying, although it may seem like that contrasted to this thread in particular. The Earth is going to change, albeit very slowly. I think we do not have evidence of any cataclysmic effects coming anytime soon and a lot of observational evidence that the risk is being over-predicted. I think as a species adaptation will not be all that difficult, considering how fast we are moving in terms of technology.

As far as sea ice and what I know of it, the current understanding of arctic sea ice is that a complete summer arctic sea ice melt could happen in 30 to 40 years (granted, it would only be summer sea ice, and probably only very briefly). This would have an unknown effect on surface reflectivity of the Earth (albedo), although it is postulated that the Earth would become less reflective and would absorb more heat. I have seen conflicting arguments on that. Beyond that, I have no clue what ill effects would be seen. The ecosystem would be changed, but that has almost certainly happened in the past. Polar bears aren't going to drown or face extinctino. Al Gore had a bit on that in Inconvenient Truth based on the work of a scientist, who was subsequently fired for falsifying that research. It's been postulated that methane excretions would be accelerated in the arctic, but a Science article a couple years back said it wouldn't be anywhere bad as feared link. It's also been postulated that we'll see glacial melt accelerate, specifically in Greenland, but I have seen articles that there are physical limitations by which glacial melt can accelerate, that puts a significant damper on anyone predicting exponential acceleration. I believe it was in Nature. I am leaving so I don't have time to find it but I've posted it in this thread before. There was also another article on how we are starting to understand how glacial flows work, and that there are again limitations on how fast glaciers can melt. So there you go. Will edit in those papers later.

TehSaurus posted:

That makes sense. I would like to see the articles, but honestly I don't think I will have time for them. Maybe over the holiday. Suffice it to say that there are some areas of unsettled science with respect to the details of what sea ice loss will mean, and the rate at which it will occur. I am skeptical about the limitations on the speed of glacier melt being compelling given the accelerating and consistently underestimated rate of (land) glacier loss.

Obviously it would be great if the planet has a lower climate sensitivity than we thought, but I cannot say that it seems likely given the current state of the field.

Thanks for providing your thoughts.

Alright so here is the study I was thinking of from Nature: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v497/n7448/full/nature12068.html

Here's two more from PNAS and Science:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/05/09/1017313108
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6081/576.abstract

They use different methods, but the three studies each show that Greenland's future contributions to sea level rise has been over-predicted at least as far as the IPCC and sea level models are concerned. The largest ice sheet mass on the planet, Antarctica, is gaining ice. Either way, the largest source of sea level rise in the future is going to be thermal expansion (H2O expands as it gets warmer) which itself will be dependent upon temperature increases of the surface & ocean.

As to the subglacial melt, the paper isn't really as conclusive as I thought, but basically there are various papers & teams that are studying the physical process by which the water that melts get from the inner ice sheet of Greenland to the ocean. People have used dyes and boreholes to test whether the drainage systems are "efficient." Contrast Greenland's ice to a mountain glacier where gravity is doing most of the work. Just because the glacial ice is melting doesn't mean the water can make it to the ocean.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but oil prices now (when adjusted for inflation) are as higher than any point since the American Civil War, save for the peak of the oil crisis. Even then, in the last decade, that peak has been surpassed at times.

See: http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Rate/Historical_Oil_Prices_Table.asp

True, but prices are set to decline over the next few years, which nobody was predicting in the last decade. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/business/international/global-coal-use-predicted-to-keep-growing.html?hpw&rref=business

quote:

The report predicted that the increase in United States production would contribute to a decline in the world oil benchmark price over the next few years to $92 a barrel in 2017 from a 2012 average of $112 a barrel, which should translate into lower prices at the pump for consumers.

IEA report here http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/er/pdf/0383er%282014%29.pdf which makes a mostly positive case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

satan!!! posted:

I think our capacity for poor decision is exceeded by our capacity for creativity and finding solutions when things are really serious.

This is the Get Kony of climate change. Humans are smart, we did it everyone!

Things have already been 'really serious' for much of the global population for a long time now. Poverty and starvation, and preventable disease, and resource conflicts, and environmental disasters happen and continue to happen - and this is in the good times. Funnily enough solutions to these problems have not been pursued, and we haven't put the sum of human ingenuity and productive power to use in building a global society that protects and provides for all, and that can deal with any disaster the planet throws at us.

What you're basically saying is that in far less ideal times, with everyone competing for even scarcer resources as large scale changes sweep across the planet, everyone's going to put aside all geopolitical concerns, join hands and find the productive and material means to reconfigure things on a planetary scale. And the magic beans that will make this possible are in the form of Geoengineering™ (a product of Human Ingenuity®), a kind of wishful thinking that involves taking the entire climate system we've managed to gently caress up through human interference - and only just recently begun to understand - and fixing the entire thing by loving with it some more.

It's hubristic and glib as gently caress, and it's just an excuse to ignore the entire issue. Someone will sort it out, right guys? We're pretty smart

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Don't worry guys, that tsunami should settle out into a peaceful wave any moment now. Any moment. Any - where did everyone go? They just don't understand. Any mome

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Negative Entropy posted:

Don't worry guys, that tsunami should settle out into a peaceful wave any moment now. Any moment. Any - where did everyone go? They just don't understand. Any mome

Right, but aside from what I'm doing already (I go to rallies and donate to groups like 350.org) what else is there to do? I've got a mop, and the tsunami's coming in.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Inglonias posted:

Right, but aside from what I'm doing already (I go to rallies and donate to groups like 350.org) what else is there to do? I've got a mop, and the tsunami's coming in.
I apologize, I wasn't referring to you but to satan!!! and Arkane. Aside from writing to reps and increasing efficiency I don't know if there is more that you could do.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?
Everything I've read these last few years makes it sound like I'll be lucky if I make it to 60 (I'm 29 now), and I've done as much as I can with regards to my lifestyle short of cutting myself off from society and living in a cave. I guess really the only option available when facing the future is to make the best of things in the present since what's ahead is mostly out of our hands.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

tmfool posted:

Everything I've read these last few years makes it sound like I'll be lucky if I make it to 60 (I'm 29 now), and I've done as much as I can with regards to my lifestyle short of cutting myself off from society and living in a cave. I guess really the only option available when facing the future is to make the best of things in the present since what's ahead is mostly out of our hands.
You are overreacting horribly, in my opinion.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

tmfool posted:

rivetz posted:

I'm sort of in the same emotional boat right now, actually. Hence why I've been posting.

BONUS ROUND
Feb 9, 2007

:catdrugs:
Sup Inglonias and tmfool. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels so crushingly depressed over AGW. So I guess we can take solace in that. :negative::hf::negative:

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

rivetz posted:

Ha, I hope so. I don't see it as a negative, at least. If I'm overreacting, it at least got me to actually become successful in my work/life rather than remaining stuck in front of the TV, playing video games all day.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Inglonias posted:

I'm going back to school to major in environmental engineering.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

tmfool posted:

Depends, are you fairly impoverished in a developing world country? If not then you'll probably make it to sixty.

The first couple decades of the worst case scenarios will still mostly kill the folks currently on the edge, barring global thermonuclear war.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Environmental catastrophe has been a reasonably common way to go out pretty much since civilisation got going, kind of goes with the territory. I generally get the feeling that people are less depressed about their own personal mortality than they are about the threat climate change poses to Western civilisational narratives that pretty much everyone is invested in one way or the other. To the extent that those narratives provide context and meaning for your life, it's natural to be depressed and even grieve, but at the same time there's the opportunity to come to terms with, say, Kierkegaard's question of "what endures" in a much deeper fashion than most humans ever get a chance to.

Paper Mac fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 18, 2013

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Paper Mac posted:

Environmental catastrophe has been a reasonably common way to go out pretty much since civilisation got going, kind of goes with the territory. I generally get the feeling that people are less depressed about their own personal mortality than they are about the threat climate change poses to Western civilisational narratives that pretty much everyone is invested in one way or the other. To the extent that those narratives provide context and meaning for your life, it's natural to be depressed and even grieve, but at the same time there's the opportunity to come to terms with, say, Kierkegaard's question of "what endures" in a much deeper fashion than most humans ever get a chance to.

Oh, so I lose the technology and society I know and love, but hey, I get better context to a philosophical conundrum!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Sorry about your videogames, I guess?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Here's an idea: if your happiness requires incredibly brutal and exploitative social forms and a technological base that is literally destroying the preconditions for life on earth, maybe it's better you stay depressed

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Paper Mac posted:

Here's an idea: if your happiness requires incredibly brutal and exploitative social forms and a technological base that is literally destroying the preconditions for life on earth, maybe it's better you stay depressed
See this is the kind of thing where AGW gets tightly bound up with people's unique (shall we say) political beliefs, and turns into some kind of apocalyptic morality play. It's apparently not a climactic response to a buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, but is instead a righteous judgement which is coming to pass upon our exploitative social forms and industry. The Rapture for leftists, more or less, except that the good people just get proven right instead of ascending into heaven.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
I'm not a leftist, nor am I predicting any apocalypse. The status quo is a profoundly unjust one which is demonstrably destroying the conditions of its own existence- that's the whole point. Dude came in here casting about for a reason to live and when I suggested that considering what truly constitutes the Good is a way to deal with challenges to particular civilisational narratives his response was literally "But things will be different! gently caress philosophy". If that's your attitude, well, whatever, but I don't have to respect it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Inglonias posted:

I'm sort of in the same emotional boat right now, actually. Hence why I've been posting.

* support nuclear power or whatever else that pops up and seems both largely carbon neutral while not ruinously expensive
* don't support "biofuels" as they are now (yay we're chopping down old growth forests that take centuries to regenerate so we can put some oil crops in there - but at least it doesn't involve evil ATOMS or GENES :toot:)
* support technological advances in agriculture because healthy ecosystems benefit more from not being converted into/polluted by additional farm land than from self described environmentalists decrying the evils of GMOs or intensive agriculture on principle
* try not to waste large amounts of fuel, electricity or meat. This doesn't mean you have to live off the grid or refuse to use any vehicle with an internal combustion engine, it's just that waste is, well, unnecessary.

Paper Mac posted:

But it doesn't require that to happen, it's just that burning fossil fuels was more convenient and we haven't bothered to use a better energy source yet.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 18, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If you have a decent amount of spare cash, toss it at the Weinberg foundation. Cheap, safe nuclear power will be a godsend in climate reconstruction.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Inglonias posted:

I may have said this before in the thread, but I really think the single most significant thing you (or anybody) can do - other than spending your life becoming the next James Hansen - is don't have children. Any energy savings you make from being efficient around the home or whatever will be completely wiped out by the environmental impact of another human, and conversely any efficiency savings are minuscule next to the savings of not introducing that life.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Paper Mac posted:

I'm not a leftist, nor am I predicting any apocalypse. The status quo is a profoundly unjust one which is demonstrably destroying the conditions of its own existence- that's the whole point. Dude came in here casting about for a reason to live and when I suggested that considering what truly constitutes the Good is a way to deal with challenges to particular civilisational narratives his response was literally "But things will be different! gently caress philosophy". If that's your attitude, well, whatever, but I don't have to respect it.

That was a kneejerk reaction on my part. Yeah, it was a bit of a stupid thing to say.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't mean what I said. I really do happen to like my life. I'm studying to be a computer science major, and in order for me to make a living, I need computers to science on. I did Google the thing you talked about (Kierkegaard's question of "what endures") and I didn't find anything immediately relevant, probably because it was pretty late at night for philosophical research. If you could point me at something, that would be interesting. At least I would know what you were talking about. I may not agree with you, but I would like to know what it was you were talking about.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Strudel Man posted:

See this is the kind of thing where AGW gets tightly bound up with people's unique (shall we say) political beliefs, and turns into some kind of apocalyptic morality play. It's apparently not a climactic response to a buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, but is instead a righteous judgement which is coming to pass upon our exploitative social forms and industry. The Rapture for leftists, more or less, except that the good people just get proven right instead of ascending into heaven.

Son, I like the cut of your jib, shall we say. I think we may have a slot opening up at our consortium for folks with skills such as yours. The sky's the limit, son. You could end up with an AM radio program of your own, you could write speeches for congressmen, sky's the limit. Rapture for leftists, I like that. Turnabout's fair play and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Inglonias posted:

That was a kneejerk reaction on my part. Yeah, it was a bit of a stupid thing to say.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't mean what I said. I really do happen to like my life. I'm studying to be a computer science major, and in order for me to make a living, I need computers to science on. I did Google the thing you talked about (Kierkegaard's question of "what endures") and I didn't find anything immediately relevant, probably because it was pretty late at night for philosophical research. If you could point me at something, that would be interesting. At least I would know what you were talking about. I may not agree with you, but I would like to know what it was you were talking about.

Spoken like a computer science student. Dude, late at night [I]is[/] the time for philosophical research. :-)

I feel ya though. You ain't the only one. Just keep doing what you're doing and have faith.

• Locked thread