Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

So, barring trolling the Guitar Center used section for some poor neglected tube amp, what's the best gig-able amp in the $300-$500 range? Solid state/modeling are acceptable.

Some general ideas:

Peavey Classic 30. Can be had used(check Craigslist and Ebay) for under budget. Lots of better options if you with the used route. Stuff like a Fender HotRod Deluxe, Orange Tiny Terror combo, Vox AC15 combos, Egnater tweakers, etc. Used is pretty much always the best value for guitar gear.

Right now for new stuff though, Musicians Friend has Peavey 6505 combos on sale for $422... If you are a metal/heavy music player, this is what you would want. Would be solid for pretty much most things, and it would be plenty loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

So, barring trolling the Guitar Center used section for some poor neglected tube amp, what's the best gig-able amp in the $300-$500 range? Solid state/modeling are acceptable.

Avid 11 Rack.
Run it into the PA and have a good night.
They're cheap as balls too, I just picked up a second one in absolutely perfect condition for $300 including a gator soft case.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Blues Jr./Hot Rod Deluxe/Hot Rod Deville. Depending on how loud you need to go. They work great for dadrock, but if you're not into that, they take pedals beautifully as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jet City stuff looks really really good for the price point.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Smash it Smash hit posted:

what type of music? how loud? what guitar? what pedals? what cab?

No cab right now, so presumably I'd prefer a combo. I play a lot of different kinds of music, so versatility is good but good cleans are probably the most important factor. I have a few Joyo pedals right now (Sweet Baby Overdrive + Vintage Overdrive) for distortion but if the amp itself can handle that then that's all the better. Right now my main guitar is a Strat. I'd like to be able to play small gigs with it un-mic'd (50-200 people) as I figure anything bigger and I'll be able to mic it up/go through a PA.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I am kinda looking for a cheap project. first I was thinking about a guitar. But I have seen numerous kits to build my own amp. I am somewhat interested in building my own amp. Is it that hard? Does anyone have experience with doing this from a kit? A all tube amp is expensive to buy new and might be a good project. Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

polar posted:

I am kinda looking for a cheap project. first I was thinking about a guitar. But I have seen numerous kits to build my own amp. I am somewhat interested in building my own amp. Is it that hard? Does anyone have experience with doing this from a kit? A all tube amp is expensive to buy new and might be a good project. Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this.

I've done an ax84 p1. The costs add up. Especially if you want to make it gig worthy. Buying or making a quality cabinet. Chassis work. Speaker(s). Etc. That said its a fun and educational experience for sure. But if you're looking to save money you won't save much and it may not be as usable for your specific situation compared to a bugera v22, jca22, used crate blue voodoo etc

I've been playing with the idea of building a 5e3 myself lately.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 16, 2013

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

polar posted:

There's a few ways you could go about it, though depending on your needs I'm not sure how cheap it would be.

- Buy a kit. Weber/Mission/Mojo/Ceriatone sell kits of popular amp designs and give you simple instructions on how to build them. I've been looking at this kind of 5F1 kit to get me going.

- The Guitar Amplifier Handbook is a good primer and has a guide to building an amp at the end of the book.

- The ax84 site has a lot of information about Marshall 18 watt style amps of different varieties.

- This site has designed an amp called a Lamington, which seems to use old PC power supply transformers and is built into a baking pan.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others.

If you're looking for a cheap project there are always pedals.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Has anyone tried the Krank Ninenteen80 Jr. 20 Watt for a low-volume JCM 800 sound?

polar
Nov 3, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been playing with the idea of building a 5e3 myself lately.

Thats the one I'm interested in as well. Looks to be a very good build for the price. Just the Box gets to be expensive since I don't have allot of tools.

qball posted:

There's a few ways you could go about it, though depending on your needs I'm not sure how cheap it would be.

- Buy a kit. Weber/Mission/Mojo/Ceriatone sell kits of popular amp designs and give you simple instructions on how to build them. I've been looking at this kind of 5F1 kit to get me going.

- The Guitar Amplifier Handbook is a good primer and has a guide to building an amp at the end of the book.

- The ax84 site has a lot of information about Marshall 18 watt style amps of different varieties.

- This site has designed an amp called a Lamington, which seems to use old PC power supply transformers and is built into a baking pan.

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others.

If you're looking for a cheap project there are always pedals.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to build a pedal before jumping into a amp. Seems like a great way to start. I am looking at the http://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/persuader_deluxe

I am for sure going to buy that book before I get into much of anything. And there are so many options at build your own clone that i have a hard time choosing where to start. Kinda looking to start cheap so that I can start a amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

polar posted:

Thats the one I'm interested in as well. Looks to be a very good build for the price. Just the Box gets to be expensive since I don't have allot of tools.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to build a pedal before jumping into a amp. Seems like a great way to start. I am looking at the http://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/persuader_deluxe

I am for sure going to buy that book before I get into much of anything. And there are so many options at build your own clone that i have a hard time choosing where to start. Kinda looking to start cheap so that I can start a amp.

A not too difficult project is converting old tube PAs into guitar amps. It'll give you an idea of the construction that goes into it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sweetwater has me an OR15 coming for Christmas, thanks Dirt! I took advantage of the 15% off a single item at musician's friend to give it a PPC212C buddy. I've never really had an amp that I truly understood and wanted so I feel like a kid getting my first, it's great. Always wanted an Orange setup too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sweetwater has me an OR15 coming for Christmas, thanks Dirt! I took advantage of the 15% off a single item at musician's friend to give it a PPC212C buddy. I've never really had an amp that I truly understood and wanted so I feel like a kid getting my first, it's great. Always wanted an Orange setup too.

Nice, man! I really wish I went with the 2x12 instead of the 1x12 cab. Good call.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Can I get a recommendation for a good first mini-amp? I've got a semi-hollowbody Ibanez Artcore and I'd like to have a tiny amp just to mess around with in my apartment. I doubt I can afford an actual tube amp, but I was kind of looking at the Orange Micro Crush since the really cheap options seem to have bad tone / functionality based on reviews. Just curious if there was a consensus on babby's first amp or anything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a good first mini-amp? I've got a semi-hollowbody Ibanez Artcore and I'd like to have a tiny amp just to mess around with in my apartment. I doubt I can afford an actual tube amp, but I was kind of looking at the Orange Micro Crush since the really cheap options seem to have bad tone / functionality based on reviews. Just curious if there was a consensus on babby's first amp or anything.

what genre? the Vox AC4TVH and matching cab are pretty affordable and they play pretty quiet in attenuated modes. The combo is pretty good too but I think it suffers from small cab and 10" speaker suffocation. You can also get a used peavey classic 30 but they will be quite a bit louder and without an attenuator they may not work well in an apartment environment

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

what genre? the Vox AC4TVH and matching cab are pretty affordable and they play pretty quiet in attenuated modes. The combo is pretty good too but I think it suffers from small cab and 10" speaker suffocation. You can also get a used peavey classic 30 but they will be quite a bit louder and without an attenuator they may not work well in an apartment environment

Mostly blues / jazz. Sometimes I like to mess around with heavier sounds but it's not a priority at all. I'm not going to need it for anything more than sitting at home and actually being able to hear myself, so I figured a mini-amp of some kind would be ideal. I'll look into your recommendations though, thanks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'd recommend a Micro Cube, Mustang I, or if you really want tube stuff, there are a ton of 5 watt tube combos around $200

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd say that the Vox ac4tv or ac4c1 would be your best bet, with the former being a little better for jazz since it doesn't have as much gain and it's tone isn't as bright.

That said I love the c1 for its overdriven sounds, so it's great for blues.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

GrAviTy84 posted:

The combo is pretty good too but I think it suffers from small cab and 10" speaker suffocation.
It gets less stuffy with break in time. It still sounds a bit boxy because that speaker just doesn't seem to like the closed back design; if you chop the back panel and open up the box, it really shines. I suspected they closed the back to preserve low end, but it doesn't really work.

That said, even in 1/4w mode, I find that it's still too loud when I push it to where I like that amp (just a hair shy of a tickle of break up, where there is a load of chime and if I play hard I get just a bit of grit but no real unpleasant distortion).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yamaha THR5/10?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

Yamaha THR5/10?

Do people like those? I've played through a couple and been underwhelmed, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Partly because I already have a few tiny amps.

e: To be a little more descriptive. I love the Micro Terror because I had wanted something in a small package that could deliver big-amp tone. This does what I want in offering good-sounding break-up even at low volumes. It does get loud, but I haven't used it outside of practice yet. I want to test it with other cabs but for now the matching Orange cab is good.

The ZT Lunchbox has good clear tone from low to very loud volumes. Takes pedals nicely (but no effects loop). Cranking it to max, I was able to break through in a rehearsal room with a drummer, piano, and amplified violin, and another guitar. Pretty neat.

The Fuzzhugger pipe amp is just a fun little practice amp with really nice fuzz tone and a nasty overdrive. It'll even drive a cab. The cigarette box amp, I have not found a practical use for yet.

e2: ZT has a smaller model out, The Junior, that says it'll power 9v pedals and has an optional 8xAA battery pack. Cooool.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 19, 2013

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine needs his JCM 800 2302 worked on a bit and he's letting me do it! He wants the tubes changed to EL34s and I haven't done anything like that before. I'm no dummy when it comes to electronics, and I'm very careful in these things, but is there any definitive resource out there for this kind of thing?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

A JCM 800 should already have EL34s. What's in there now?

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
If it was sold in the US in the 80's I'm going with 6550's.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The Grapist posted:

Oh, you're right. Huh. I never knew that.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

GrAviTy84 posted:

new speaker for the AC15, too. :woop:

How is the ET90? I recently installed an ET65 in my Mesa cab and it sounds nice but I'm not sure its the equivalent of a Celestion G12-65.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Grapist posted:

Indeed it was. It has the inputs vertically aligned. Rumor has it I can get away with just rebiasing, but I'd like to do it the right way.

edit: Found this from the gear page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-678115.html posted:

MARSHAL 6550 to EL34
1.) Locate the 47K resistor above the bias pot and solder another 47K in parallel.
2.) Set the bias pot the max (around –38 volts).
3.) Locate the purple feedback wire (that is connected to the 4 ohm speaker tap) and solder it onto the 8-ohm speaker tap.
4.) Install the EL34’s and re-bias the amp.
Sounds doable. And I'd like to go with KT77s, which I understand are p much the same darn thing anyway, from a conversion standpoint.

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kerpal posted:

How is the ET90? I recently installed an ET65 in my Mesa cab and it sounds nice but I'm not sure its the equivalent of a Celestion G12-65.

Haven't had much break in time yet but I like it so far. Tames the icepickiness of the AC15C1, no complaints from me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

scuz posted:

Sounds doable. And I'd like to go with KT77s, which I understand are p much the same darn thing anyway, from a conversion standpoint.

KTs are great always go with them

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

field balm posted:

I've got one of the smaller blackstar amps (one without the three band eq). I can't say anything about the humming and popping, I'd probably take that back and get it replaced. I find an overdrive pedal is the key to a good heavy sound with these amps - they let a lot of bass through at the input and tightening that up really helps. Depending on how 'modern' your sound is an eq might help as well, but for d-beat i'm imagining a fairly vintage-y/not scooped sound. I wouldn't worry about a compressor. I think pedals sound great into these but there was a guy a few pages back who didn't think so; he didn't post what he was running and how though.

I like an sd-1 with the tone down into the non-boosted distortion channel. I'd try out a boss sd-1 and a tubescreamer and see which you like, they're both cheap and easily available.

We ended up coming up on this today:

I'll post something more detailed about it in here or in the effects thread when I've had a little more time with it myself but it seems to do the trick. We tried a few pedals and I really liked this one and an OD (I think it was called the morning glory? I'll google it right now. It was another boutique pedal and handpainted.) which I might even get at another time. I didn't like the tubescreamer I tried at all. It sounded really generic and tinny. I figure we can sell the Saturn V and make the money back if it doesn't work out anyway.

EDIT This: https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/morning-glory/

Is a good OD.

Antifa Sarkeesian fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 20, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt posted:

Nice, man! I really wish I went with the 2x12 instead of the 1x12 cab. Good call.

I got to mess with the PPC212 today. Maaan it blew my mind. My XXX combo sounds like poo poo on it's own but it came to life through the cab. I never really realized how much a quality cab affect your sound. I'm dying to hook up the OR15 now. 212 closed back is the speaker arrangement I've been looking for.

Is it safe to use an instrument cable for the connection? I expected to have to use a speakon in the first place but it was just a normal instrument cable plug.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 21, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You need a speaker cable which is designed to carry high current, low impedance signals.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Getting my first head/cab setup is bizarre. I feel like everything is new again. Thanks! I'll get one ordered soon.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Kilometers Davis posted:

212 closed back is the speaker arrangement I've been looking for.
Hell yes, it's my fav cab bar none.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I got to mess with the PPC212 today. Maaan it blew my mind. My XXX combo sounds like poo poo on it's own but it came to life through the cab. I never really realized how much a quality cab affect your sound. I'm dying to hook up the OR15 now. 212 closed back is the speaker arrangement I've been looking for.

Is it safe to use an instrument cable for the connection? I expected to have to use a speakon in the first place but it was just a normal instrument cable plug.

Do you have the "old" Peavey TripleXXX 40W combo from around 2003?
I also have a PPC212 I use with my Marshall, but for some reason it simply doesn't work with my 2003 TripleXXX combo. I guess plugging in an external cab should automatically disconnect the internal speaker?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iostream.h posted:

Hell yes, it's my fav cab bar none.

I've had the tone and presence stuck in my head since I stopped playing with it yesterday, unnnnnf. Lots of people mention the V30s being harsh and too high middy mainly before break in but I'm digging them even now with my combo. Finding pieces of gear that you've heard for years in your head is a great feeling. Assuming I bond with the OR15 I can totally get why the Orange brand loyalty exists.

polynominal-c posted:

Do you have the "old" Peavey TripleXXX 40W combo from around 2003?
I also have a PPC212 I use with my Marshall, but for some reason it simply doesn't work with my 2003 TripleXXX combo. I guess plugging in an external cab should automatically disconnect the internal speaker?

I do, but it's the one with built in effects. It worked fine when I was testing it out. I think the combo speaker was still going but I'm not 100% sure. Quite weird though, you would think that it would work with pretty much anything you could plug it into.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I do, but it's the one with built in effects. It worked fine when I was testing it out. I think the combo speaker was still going but I'm not 100% sure. Quite weird though, you would think that it would work with pretty much anything you could plug it into.

I just found the manual and it says that the internal speaker is switched in parallel to the external speaker. And indeed, when I crank it, I can hear the cab. But the built in speaker is significantly louder. I guess this is how it's supposed to be!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

polynominal-c posted:

I just found the manual and it says that the internal speaker is switched in parallel to the external speaker. And indeed, when I crank it, I can hear the cab. But the built in speaker is significantly louder. I guess this is how it's supposed to be!

if the ext can has more speakers than built in that might be why since wattage is split evenly between the two.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

I'm picking up an old boutique head, made by a little-known builder called John Kelly who quit Selmer in the 70s and started making his own; the model I've got hold of is a 100w head with inputs for both guitar and bass. The amp itself is powered by 4 EL34s.

Basically I'm looking for a cab, but have no idea what to get as I've only ever used combo amps before. Apparently the tonal color of the amp is like a cross between an old AC30 and a Marshall head; I'm trying to stick with a cab that will keep this kind of sound as I've been getting into garage and fuzz quite a lot. Any recommendations?

In Britain by the way, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Adam Vegas posted:

I'm picking up an old boutique head, made by a little-known builder called John Kelly who quit Selmer in the 70s and started making his own; the model I've got hold of is a 100w head with inputs for both guitar and bass. The amp itself is powered by 4 EL34s.

Basically I'm looking for a cab, but have no idea what to get as I've only ever used combo amps before. Apparently the tonal color of the amp is like a cross between an old AC30 and a Marshall head; I'm trying to stick with a cab that will keep this kind of sound as I've been getting into garage and fuzz quite a lot. Any recommendations?

Avatar makes good cabs and you can get all sorts of wacky Tolex covers. If you want to retain the Marshall/Vox character, you'll want a closed back. I'd recommend 2x12 but some people love to feel the air move with a 4x12. For speakers, it depends on your taste and what you can find with the right power handling.