Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I dunno man, looks like it spells WAR KOKE to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Worthleast posted:

I assume the sacramental seal still applies then, even if you were to hear another's sins.

I once saw someone take a kid of seven or eight into the confessional with him :psyduck:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

There is a sort of a Latin pun with these. If you take the first letter after the word "O", for each, and put them in reverse order, it spells out ERO CRAS, which means "Tomorrow I will be here". So if you fill in one letter for each day, on the 23rd you get the whole message.

Last year I made an animated image for that (to go along with some really terrible images for each antiphon, because I was doing a series of posts about them, one per day): http://imgur.com/8YhJOPR

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

I'm awfully glad I downloaded several hours' worth of podcasts from Ancient Faith radio onto my iPod, because the drive to and from Dallas takes forever.

Orthodox goons, do y'all like AFR? It looks legit to me.

I don't listen to it like I used to, but as far as religiously themed radio goes, it really doesn't get any better. I especially recommend anything by Fr. Thomas Hopko or Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick (Roads to Emmaus, Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy). Fr. Josiah Trenham (The Arena) is a drat fine preacher and fine in small doses, but he can be a bit of a culture warrior/GOP cheerleader at times. Same goes for Fr. John Whiteford (From the Amvon).

That said, many Orthodox I know hate it because it feels too western and hosts too many "liberals" like Fr. Hopko.

Keromaru5 posted:

Regarding Orthodox general confession, I've read about it before, and I just found this article on the OCA website about its place in the church. From my other reading, it seems to have started with St. John of Kronstadt, which might be why it turned up in a ROCOR parish.

Funny story: San Francisco used to have a bunch of White Russian emigres at one point, including a number of ex-aristocrats. There was this one heir of a duchess who would go to my current cathedral back in the day (fashionably late in the typical cradle Orthodox manner), knock on one of the side doors, and the priest would come out and hear her confession on the spot. He would do this only for her.

There's also one ROCOR parish here in SF where the priest still walks out a side door and hears last-minute confessions right after the communion of the clergy, but my understanding is it's largely an uncommon practice nowadays.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 16, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hope this hasn't been discussed somewhere in the last 50 pages but is the Coptic Church considered a form of liturgical Christianity? I'd figured they would be because they're old as all hell but they ain't mentioned in the OP.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hope this hasn't been discussed somewhere in the last 50 pages but is the Coptic Church considered a form of liturgical Christianity? I'd figured they would be because they're old as all hell but they ain't mentioned in the OP.
I thought I did mention them, under Oriental Orthodox.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The Coptic Church owns. They choose their pope by raffle :cool:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Has anyone here had much exposure to the Death of God theology? I've been skimming the Postmodern Christianity wikipage and that seems to be the current philosophical/theological trend.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I've worked with it to some extent, though on its more philosophical side, primarily through the French: Marion, Nancy, and Bataille. I teach it on occasion as well - it's an interesting dynamic. One can get most students on board, even the atheists, provided one roots it in history and the metaphorics of affect that it makes use of it. Inevitably the evangelical types are enraged, however - according to my course evaluations, it's the work of the devil trying to destroy Christianity from within.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I've worked with it to some extent, though on its more philosophical side, primarily through the French: Marion, Nancy, and Bataille. I teach it on occasion as well - it's an interesting dynamic. One can get most students on board, even the atheists, provided one roots it in history and the metaphorics of affect that it makes use of it. Inevitably the evangelical types are enraged, however - according to my course evaluations, it's the work of the devil trying to destroy Christianity from within.

They say that about everyone, though. Liberation theologians? Satan. LGBT/Queer theologians? Satan. Catholics? Oh you better believe that's Satan.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mo Tzu posted:

They say that about everyone, though. Liberation theologians? Satan. LGBT/Queer theologians? Satan. Catholics? Oh you better believe that's Satan.

Satan? He's Satan too.

Nothing quite like dismissing everything else as the devil.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
So what is Death of God? I'm assuming it's not quite Nietzsche.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AGirlWonder posted:

So what is Death of God? I'm assuming it's not quite Nietzsche.

It is actually. It's the idea that God died at some point and that's the reason why things like the Holocaust happened. It started in Judaism as a way to explain why God would let the Holocaust happen.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Uh, no, not at all that.

Except for the Nietzsche of course - we do need to take seriously the irony in the pronouncement of the death of God - Christianity has always been the religion of the death of god, insofar as it is inaugurated with the crucifixion. Nietzsche's dictum is radical, but it's also stating the obvious - god is dead and resurrected, and there is no resurrection without the death of god. Our condition, between the crucifixion and the death of god is one of a god who has withdrawn from the world, is no longer present to us, is "dead" in the mode of a direct relation, even if he's supposed to come again and is present in the form of a promise, a future given to us in the present. It's a way of breaking with the presence/absence binary that deconstruction (where much of this came out of) is so interested in working around.

Beyond that, in terms of the West, the death of god that gives rise to Christianity is also the death of all the gods, plural, insofar as it sets in motion what is really a radically new paradigm of religion. If the pagan world in some sense lived with its particular gods, Christianity brings about a new universalism founded upon the withdrawal of the divine element. This withdrawal marks a point of indefinition - the god or gods are neither quite absent, nor present to us, but always in the mode of departing, of something that we have caught a glimpse of, for only a second, something unaccountable - and this is the mode of our relation to it.

Forgive me, that may not be very clear, perhaps an effort-post for later.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Weren't gods dying all the time in pagan religion? It's not a very unique event to just Christianity.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

That makes more sense that the snippets I saw on reddit. They basically framed it as being an atheist with Christian ethics

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Berke Negri posted:

Weren't gods dying all the time in pagan religion? It's not a very unique event to just Christianity.

Well, as a mythic element, it's not very unique, but the way that Christianity positions it is. If you have many gods and lose one (whether or not a resurrection happens), you have others, divinity in general goes on. To pose the death of a monotheistic god opens a quite different problematic; it's the interruption of a possible relation to divinity itself.

PrinceRandom posted:

That makes more sense that the snippets I saw on reddit. They basically framed it as being an atheist with Christian ethics

That is one strain of it, that you'll find in Zizek, Badiou and others; it's the less interesting one, I think. The deconstructive approach is a bit older, and I think more interesting.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
I'm dating a Catholic girl and we've agreed to visit each other's churches next week. She is coming to my (Anglican) church for our Lessons and Carols service on Sunday morning, and then I will be joining her at her Catholic church Christmas Eve to hear her choir sing and then for midnight mass with her. I have a lot of Catholic connections within my family (maternal grandfather and my father's entire family) but they were all non-practising so I have actually only ever been in a Catholic church once and don't remember anything about it. Is there anything I should know as a guest? Normally I wouldn't be too worried about it. Even though I wasn't raised in the Anglican church, the one I currently attend is fairly high church so I figure I would be able to follow along with the liturgy reasonably well, however the particular church I will be attending offers mass in Polish, which I do not speak one word of.

I know that the Catholic Church doesn't allow Anglicans to share in the Eucharist, but is there anything else I should know to avoid making a massive faux-pas or otherwise set back ecumenical relations a hundred years?

I thought I had seen some questions like this in the thread before, but I couldn't find it... Maybe it was in the old thread?

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

PantlessBadger posted:

I'm dating a Catholic girl and we've agreed to visit each other's churches next week. She is coming to my (Anglican) church for our Lessons and Carols service on Sunday morning, and then I will be joining her at her Catholic church Christmas Eve to hear her choir sing and then for midnight mass with her. I have a lot of Catholic connections within my family (maternal grandfather and my father's entire family) but they were all non-practising so I have actually only ever been in a Catholic church once and don't remember anything about it. Is there anything I should know as a guest? Normally I wouldn't be too worried about it. Even though I wasn't raised in the Anglican church, the one I currently attend is fairly high church so I figure I would be able to follow along with the liturgy reasonably well, however the particular church I will be attending offers mass in Polish, which I do not speak one word of.

I know that the Catholic Church doesn't allow Anglicans to share in the Eucharist, but is there anything else I should know to avoid making a massive faux-pas or otherwise set back ecumenical relations a hundred years?

I thought I had seen some questions like this in the thread before, but I couldn't find it... Maybe it was in the old thread?

You'll be a-ok. There should be a little card or something in the pew with the Mass responses on it; failing that, you'll find them in a missalette. Midnight Mass is a lot of fun.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
According to Hegel (the real one, not me), the central event in Christianity was the death of God in Christ's incarnation and death; and, considering that everything in the world, in order to be an entity, must partake of negation (if you're A you're not-B, etc), the death of God pervades the universe. Hegel's Logic, therefore, is a massive text about the death of God. (In addition to the thing he actually did write on the death of God, very early in his career.)

Is there any of that in Death-Of-God theology? As you explained it, System Metternich, the flavor seems somewhat different.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

PantlessBadger posted:

Should be a lot of fun. Look around and ask questions before and after.

Christmas is one of those days that the churches expect a lot of unfamiliar visitors.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

PantlessBadger posted:

I'm dating a Catholic girl and we've agreed to visit each other's churches next week :words:

YOUR GIRLFRIEND might know the answers to all your questions. In some ways it might be better to ask her than us, since she might have tips for any unique things her parish does that goons on the Internet wouldn't be aware of.

You'll know most of the liturgy. The differences you'll probably notice the first time is just that things are worded not quite the same way you're familiar with. It's not a big deal if you respond a bit incorrectly because you're used to three words in the middle of some response being different.

For Communion you can either sit in your pew or go forward and get a blessing from the priest/assistant. This is one thing you might want to think about since your action does reflect on how you view Communion, ecumenical relations, and such.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have asked her for some general ideas, I thought I might also just grab some ideas from the thread here as there may be some things she might not think to mention to me, or I may not be asking the right kinds of questions. I had wondered about the blessings at the Eucharist. I'll be sure to ask what the procedure is to indicate you want a blessing.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Uh, no, not at all that.

Except for the Nietzsche of course - we do need to take seriously the irony in the pronouncement of the death of God - Christianity has always been the religion of the death of god, insofar as it is inaugurated with the crucifixion. Nietzsche's dictum is radical, but it's also stating the obvious - god is dead and resurrected, and there is no resurrection without the death of god. Our condition, between the crucifixion and the death of god is one of a god who has withdrawn from the world, is no longer present to us, is "dead" in the mode of a direct relation, even if he's supposed to come again and is present in the form of a promise, a future given to us in the present. It's a way of breaking with the presence/absence binary that deconstruction (where much of this came out of) is so interested in working around.

Beyond that, in terms of the West, the death of god that gives rise to Christianity is also the death of all the gods, plural, insofar as it sets in motion what is really a radically new paradigm of religion. If the pagan world in some sense lived with its particular gods, Christianity brings about a new universalism founded upon the withdrawal of the divine element. This withdrawal marks a point of indefinition - the god or gods are neither quite absent, nor present to us, but always in the mode of departing, of something that we have caught a glimpse of, for only a second, something unaccountable - and this is the mode of our relation to it.

Forgive me, that may not be very clear, perhaps an effort-post for later.
Theological effort posts are cool even though I lost my religion as it were. Theology is just really interesting.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I was going to share this in the Idiots on Facebook thread, but I figured all the Orthogoons here would get a bigger kick out of it. I'm Kat E. Gory:

"Genetics is a sneaky invention of the western heretics to promote Augustinianism, you silly barbarian."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I was going to share this in the Idiots on Facebook thread, but I figured all the Orthogoons here would get a bigger kick out of it. I'm Kat E. Gory:

"Genetics is a sneaky invention of the western heretics to promote Augustinianism, you silly barbarian."

It's nice to know that the Orthodox have just as many crazies as the Catholics :allears:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

According to Hegel (the real one, not me), the central event in Christianity was the death of God in Christ's incarnation and death; and, considering that everything in the world, in order to be an entity, must partake of negation (if you're A you're not-B, etc), the death of God pervades the universe. Hegel's Logic, therefore, is a massive text about the death of God. (In addition to the thing he actually did write on the death of God, very early in his career.)

Is there any of that in Death-Of-God theology? As you explained it, System Metternich, the flavor seems somewhat different.

I likely won't have time to assemble an effort post until after the new year, but I do promise one that will go more into it then. If anything, the philosophical currents that are being drawn upon those that are resistant to Hegel. Which is to say that there's a dialogue, but not a concurrence. Hegel is, after a fashion, pathologically rational - all of History, everything is drawn under the rational movement of Geist and the result is totally assured. The thinkers that I mentioned are by and large skeptical of that kind of certainty, the mania for determination that runs through Hegel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

It's nice to know that the Orthodox have just as many crazies as the Catholics :allears:
More, actually; since there's no one Orthodox position on anything it's harder to find an ironclad case to tell the weirdos they're weird.

I likely won't have time to assemble an effort post until after the new year, but I do promise one that will go more into it then. If anything, the philosophical currents that are being drawn upon those that are resistant to Hegel. Which is to say that there's a dialogue, but not a concurrence. Hegel is, after a fashion, pathologically rational - all of History, everything is drawn under the rational movement of Geist and the result is totally assured. The thinkers that I mentioned are by and large skeptical of that kind of certainty, the mania for determination that runs through Hegel.
Are you familiar with more modern readings of Hegel which tone down the stuff about Geist? I've spoken with a professor who maintains that most of that was put into his work after his death by dumb editors and we're only now compiling editions that are closer to what he may have originally intended.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 18, 2013

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

PantlessBadger posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have asked her for some general ideas, I thought I might also just grab some ideas from the thread here as there may be some things she might not think to mention to me, or I may not be asking the right kinds of questions. I had wondered about the blessings at the Eucharist. I'll be sure to ask what the procedure is to indicate you want a blessing.

Real typically, go up with your arms crossed over your chest and keep them there when you are before the Eucharistic minister; they will take that as a cue to give you a blessing.

Ask your GF to confirm. My parish mentions this practice specifically during the Christmas and Easter Masses, because like you say we expect a lot of unfamiliar visitors.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair, the original poster is a bishop of a radical traditionalist break-off group that thinks the rest of Orthodoxy has fallen into heresy due to not uniformly adhering to the Julian calendar and not hating on Catholics hard enough. It's no surprise that his flock is chock-full of nutbars who literally think modern medicine is a Romanist plot to get them to accept the filioque.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

IMJack posted:

Real typically, go up with your arms crossed over your chest and keep them there when you are before the Eucharistic minister; they will take that as a cue to give you a blessing.

Ask your GF to confirm. My parish mentions this practice specifically during the Christmas and Easter Masses, because like you say we expect a lot of unfamiliar visitors.

Yeah, my church does the exact same procedure, but I wasn't sure if that was common in other parishes in the Anglican communion let alone in other denominations. I did manage to confirm that with her last night, though. The biggest thing I'm worried about is not asking the right questions before things get going. As I mentioned, it's a Polish church. The service is in Polish and I've been told many of the parishioners only speak Polish or at least have limited English. I'm kind of out of luck if I don't think to ask things like this before the service begins!

She mentioned they still get a reasonable amount of guests (E&Cers) but still most of them would be Polish speakers.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

PantlessBadger posted:

The biggest thing I'm worried about is not asking the right questions before things get going. As I mentioned, it's a Polish church. The service is in Polish and I've been told many of the parishioners only speak Polish or at least have limited English. I'm kind of out of luck if I don't think to ask things like this before the service begins!

Dude, just enjoy it. If you're worried the whole time about starting a holy war it's going to make you miserable. The times I've gone to services where I didn't speak the language have all been really cool. If the sermon is long it can get a little boring, but one of my favorite Church Memories is not understanding a word of the service at the big cathedral in Reykjavik and then being welcomed at the rail along with everyone else for Communion :3:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Dude, just enjoy it. If you're worried the whole time about starting a holy war it's going to make you miserable. The times I've gone to services where I didn't speak the language have all been really cool. If the sermon is long it can get a little boring, but one of my favorite Church Memories is not understanding a word of the service at the big cathedral in Reykjavik and then being welcomed at the rail along with everyone else for Communion :3:

I once accidentally ended up serving a Spanish mass at my local parish. Fortunately I knew just enough Spanish to figure out what was going on.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I once accidentally ended up serving a Spanish mass at my local parish. Fortunately I knew just enough Spanish to figure out what was going on.

¡El Sangria de Josué, te sirve!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Are you familiar with more modern readings of Hegel which tone down the stuff about Geist? I've spoken with a professor who maintains that most of that was put into his work after his death by dumb editors and we're only now compiling editions that are closer to what he may have originally intended.

I'm not familiar with that line of argumentation, but I'm not sure how it would work. All of Hegel's major texts were published during his lifetime, and I've never heard of major differences between the original editions and what has come down. The lectures on Aesthetics went through that kind of redaction process, and I think are being (or have recently been) redone, but the same wouldn't appear to be the case with the Phenomenology, the Logics, etc. - do you know of any resources where people have put forward that claim? I'd be curious to see.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I'm not familiar with that line of argumentation, but I'm not sure how it would work. All of Hegel's major texts were published during his lifetime, and I've never heard of major differences between the original editions and what has come down. The lectures on Aesthetics went through that kind of redaction process, and I think are being (or have recently been) redone, but the same wouldn't appear to be the case with the Phenomenology, the Logics, etc. - do you know of any resources where people have put forward that claim? I'd be curious to see.
No, I'm talking about his lectures, specifically the Philosophy of History.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
drat, Pope Francis just called a bunch of people Pagans:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/18/pope-francis-trashes-the-prosperity-gospel-pompous-christians-are-ugly-pagans/

quote:

“It is an ugly thing,” he said, according to Vatican Radio, “when you see a Christian who doesn’t want to humble himself, who doesn’t want to serve, a Christian who struts about everywhere: it’s ugly, eh? That is not a Christian: that’s a pagan!”

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I have a hope that, since it's the freakin' Pope, people will begin to listen to these harsh truths and take his lessons to heart.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AGirlWonder posted:

I have a hope that, since it's the freakin' Pope, people will begin to listen to these harsh truths and take his lessons to heart.
I hope so too, but I doubt it. I have always associated Prosperity Theology with non-denominational Protestant megachurches and the televangelists associated with them, but how popular is with the general Catholic population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Azathoth posted:

I hope so too, but I doubt it. I have always associated Prosperity Theology with non-denominational Protestant megachurches and the televangelists associated with them, but how popular is with the general Catholic population?

I think it's also a shot against Catholics like Santorum and that rear end in a top hat bishop with the fifty million dollar pad.

• Locked thread