Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mr. stefan posted:

Please stop pretending you have any idea how screen printing works.

I've personally done an edition of 70 6-layer posters in well under a day, for kicks. It's not easy, but an edition of 500 is no biggie if it's part of your your full-time job.

I don't begrudge Mondo their prices because prints are generally pretty undervalued and people gotta eat, but it's absolutely a deliberate choice and not some sort of technical limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Basically,

mr. stefan posted:

Please stop pretending you have any idea how screen printing works.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've personally done an edition of 70 6-layer posters in well under a day, for kicks. It's not easy, but an edition of 500 is no biggie if it's part of your your full-time job.

I don't begrudge Mondo their prices because prints are generally pretty undervalued and people gotta eat, but it's absolutely a deliberate choice and not some sort of technical limitation.

What were they prints of, if you don't mind saying? Just curious, its been something I've been meaning to do a lot more of since I left school.

As for the rest of it, I'm not entirely sure if the poster printing is their full time job, is the thing; as far as I can tell from reading up on them, mondo is really small, less than ten people, and everyone has like three different jobs to do, including the whole licensing rights runaround and art direction. If that's the case I really doubt any of them have the time on hand to go balls out on a print run as well as organize everything else.

What makes all of this irritating is that I don't even like a lot of Mondo's stuff, I just find it incredibly irritating when people get pissy about a print run being limited and refusing to accept any reason besides greed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't think Mondo even does their own printing. I think they get an external, screenprinting specific company to do their printing for them. I could swear I've seen posts and comments from them saying something like "Another great print-job from the folks at X screenprinting studio!".

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I bought this for my wife for Christmas (and accidentally bought a 6 foot tall one so now I have two!).

The other posters are a little awkward and Ryan Gosling looks like he has size 25 feet

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

poo poo I did not know that that film was Gosling. I should really watch it sometime.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sockser posted:

poo poo I did not know that that film was Gosling. I should really watch it sometime.

It's very entertaining. Check it out.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I don't like the first one. It doesn't communicate that she's a real doll so it looks like a generic romantic movie instead of an incrediblely unique Ryan Gosling film.

Sockser posted:

It's really good. And on Netflix, I think.

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Agreeing with this.

I recently did a 350 piece, 4 color run for UHF's 25th anniversary. My company didn't design it, just separated the image, and printed. It took my partner and I three days and I was still recovering from a broken leg. There is a reason for Mondo to limit their runs so much but it has nothing to do with time or money.

I should point out this was "three days" where we did a color, dicked around for a bit, printed some more, and then went home. Three to six hours of "work" per day.

Also from my understanding Mondo has whomever designed the poster do the printing. I doubt Jay Ryan is doing a design then letting somebody outside of The Bird Machine print it.

ChickenSuit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 18, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Compare to

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I would prefer the second one just because of the coloring, if only they hadn't given Godzilla baby-doll eyes.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Without knowing anything about printing or the business, would it be that farfetched to offer second-run printing using more traditional/lower-quality printing methods so that the collectors get their higher-quality, limited editions and the rest of us get something that's not as great but still looks nice on the wall?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they did that, and then were able to make non-screen printed things that had more than four colors, there are some things I might actually get from them.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Roughly how much would it cost in terms of ink, machinery etc. to screen-print just one poster, for reference?

There's probably a print thread I should be reading too?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It would be fascinating to know what kind of market research they do. Like, do they print runs in different amounts and prices and see how many seconds it takes to sell them? Do they lie about the number they print and sell more? Do they stealth sell them on ebay later?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Roughly how much would it cost in terms of ink, machinery etc. to screen-print just one poster, for reference?

There's probably a print thread I should be reading too?

Professional quality? 5-10 grand.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

Professional quality? 5-10 grand.

I think they meant the marginal cost of a single poster.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fine then. $15 per screen (layer of ink, mondo posters tend to be around 5). Ink takes about 45 minutes to dry, so let's say $60-$75 worth of man-time, including washing out the screens. So for one print, "parts" and labor is $150.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 18, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sorry to interrupt this discussion about Mondo posters, which has been the exact opposite of interesting, but here's the poster for the new Stephen Chow movie.

Looks like an adaptation of the Jade Monkey legend. Also pretty cool to see something that at least looks hand drawn. Not enough posters do that these days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I fuckin' love me some Journey to the West, drat. Wanna see that movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I've heard its not very good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Poster for a Kevin Costner/McG/Luc Besson joint:

This poster just makes me surprised we never got to see a movie with Paul Walker as Kevin Costner's son.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

What's the language in the first one? I know contra is against/versus in spanish so I assumed it was first a romance language, but it looks like it has the polish love of z's and y's.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Frostwerks posted:

What's the language in the first one? I know contra is against/versus in spanish so I assumed it was first a romance language, but it looks like it has the polish love of z's and y's.

Google tells me that it is a Polish poster.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Accident Underwater posted:

I bought this for my wife for Christmas (and accidentally bought a 6 foot tall one so now I have two!).

The other posters are a little awkward and Ryan Gosling looks like he has size 25 feet

Was that drawn by Marjane Satrapi?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

From what I've heard its not very good.
It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not even exaggerating.

Kinda a lovely poster too, but the movie doesn't deserve any better.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Vegetable posted:

Aw, I read the Journey West almost every year and I would love to see an adaptation that's just as crazy/awesome/slightly disturbing.

Dragonball doesn't count because it doesn't have a scene with Goku peeing on Buddha or throwing demon children on the ground so hard they splatter into goo, just to piss off their father.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 18, 2013

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I think this is way extreme. The movie very fun to watch, and had some hilarious moments, and some parts were so over the top and insane I had a huge grin on my face. The main fault of the movie is that Chow was obviously too old to play the main role, so some other younger actor played the part, and it's clear he's "being" the Chow character.

I'd really like to know how you can think it's one of the "worst movies" you've ever seen though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Fine then. $15 per screen (layer of ink, mondo posters tend to be around 5). Ink takes about 45 minutes to dry, so let's say $60-$75 worth of man-time, including washing out the screens. So for one print, "parts" and labor is $150.

It's more labor than anything. And you can reclaim screens. Back in college, I did a four-layer run and we were limited to one or two screens. I think it took me about a day to knock out 30 or so.

However, if you're sending it to a professional shop (or set up like one) where they're using presses with multiple stations or even automated presses, then that labor drops considerably.

Also, like Joker said, they don't seem to print in anything more than four colors most of the time. More likely it's three. If SMG could pull off those numbers mentioned, SMG could print out Mondo's 250-edition run in about two working days. The way to look at layers is they're more like passes, so the work done on a 100 6-layer job is about the same as the work done on a 200 3-layer job or a 300 2-layer job.

Screenprinting is pretty much suited for mass-production, it's why screen-printers are still in business because there's always a need for giant screen print runs if it's posters or shirts or merchandise.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
I had a quick troll back through Mondo's blog, because there's no point in arguing about something when the information is actually available.

The 'open edition' Man of Steel was printed by D&L Screenprinting in Seattle (http://www.dlscreenprinting.com/), whose website also has a pricing guide

code:
Additional Fees (apply to all poster sizes)
Color Change After Approval: $30.00 per color
Set-Up for Reprints and/or Changes to Original Job Order: $20.00 per layer or job change
Numbering Fee: $.15 per poster/art print
Rush Fee: 10% of total printing cost
Packing & Handling for Shipping: $10.00 per box; $30.00 per pallet

Large Poster Printing Details:

Parent Sheet Size: 26"x38"
Printable Area 24"x36"
All-around Borders: 1"
Film per color:  $30.00

Blends & Glows $.75 per blend and/or glow
Price per color:
1 color       $2.10
2 colors      $3.40
3 colors      $4.70
4 colors      $6.00
5 colors      $7.30
6 colors      $8.60
7 colors      $9.90
8 colors      $11.20
Now, I imagine that a 5000+ print run is probably grounds for being able to negotiate a bulk discount, so probably less again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Good lord.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vagabundo posted:

Good lord.

"We have such sights to show you!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gonz posted:

"We have such sights to show you!"

Jesus wept!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Serak posted:

I had a quick troll back through Mondo's blog, because there's no point in arguing about something when the information is actually available.

The 'open edition' Man of Steel was printed by D&L Screenprinting in Seattle (http://www.dlscreenprinting.com/), whose website also has a pricing guide

code:

Printable Area 24"x36"

Price per color:
1 color       $2.10
2 colors      $3.40
3 colors      $4.70
4 colors      $6.00
5 colors      $7.30
6 colors      $8.60
7 colors      $9.90
8 colors      $11.20
Now, I imagine that a 5000+ print run is probably grounds for being able to negotiate a bulk discount, so probably less again

It's important to remember that the "Film to Color" price is a standard set-up price per screen. So, a 500 print run 6-color poster will have an individual price-per-poster of $8.96 and will get cheaper as more are made. The price that it would cost to do a reprint would be an extra quarter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Serak posted:

code:
Additional Fees (apply to all poster sizes)
Color Change After Approval: $30.00 per color
Set-Up for Reprints and/or Changes to Original Job Order: $20.00 per layer or job change
Numbering Fee: $.15 per poster/art print
Rush Fee: 10% of total printing cost
Packing & Handling for Shipping: $10.00 per box; $30.00 per pallet

Printable Area 24"x36"

Price per color:
1 color       $2.10
2 colors      $3.40
3 colors      $4.70
4 colors      $6.00
5 colors      $7.30
6 colors      $8.60
7 colors      $9.90
8 colors      $11.20

So the cost to make a poster is related to the number of colours it uses? Well, I guess we just found out why Mondo posters tend to use three colours maximum. Wouldn't want to spend any of that $70 a poster, would we?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Vagabundo posted:

Good lord.

Does the title refer to the photoshop job :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

So the cost to make a poster is related to the number of colours it uses?

Yes and no. For the most part you're correct, but you can also have semi-transparent layers by mixing more colorless extender into it. Another is one of the ways to do blends (and it's the reason why it's a bit more expensive) is to apply extender directly to the screen instead of mixing in the ink and then screen print as normal, having the extender mix as you pull the ink across the medium. That's how a lot of gradients in printing got made before they started using benday dots and half tones. You could do this with different inks as well.

Jedit posted:

Well, I guess we just found out why Mondo posters tend to use three colours maximum. Wouldn't want to spend any of that $70 a poster, would we?

There's still paper stock costs, but for the most part, that's almost negligible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fayez Butts posted:

So... You thought every time Mondo sold a poster they're eating about a 100 dollars?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It seems like Mondo release a new poster every week. Couldn't they just stagger their releases for longer so they can do double the amount? So instead of 256 they can do 512. 512 is still a small amount and this way more people get to buy one in 5 seconds instead of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
You don't get to buy someone's art because of price (Monet), supply (Mondo), sanctity (Watterson). That's all?

You don't get to, then? Where could this argument finish? You don't get to own this stuff. It's not for you. That doesn't even suck, it's just a thing. Not owning a thing that was never going to be yours ought never make you sad, although I under how it could, but surely that's kind of a self serving and backwards mindset that in no way is sustainable.