Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
So at the end there did the Machine turn Samaritan back on or did it simply notice that Samaritan had reactivated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Don't forget Bear ok.

Still seems pretty sloppy of Harold not to check the internets for a photo of the guy's wife. He checks for every other number :colbert:

The records were presumably doctored, since Harold didn't know she was dead either.

Iowa Snow King posted:

So at the end there did the Machine turn Samaritan back on or did it simply notice that Samaritan had reactivated?

Control said "drives" so presumably it's deactivated and just in storage. I think the Machine is just reacting to what was said.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Iowa Snow King posted:

It was recalibrating based on new information. It assumed Samaritan was deactivated, but now that there's a Mexican Standoff over where it is, The Machine is saying "Oh wait, maybe it's still running. Better check that."

Also, I totally hedged, BUT...

DivisionPost posted:

Now, Camryn Manheim's name might not mean as much as it did 15 years ago, but she's still a name. And she's being touted for a big arc in 2014, just in time for HR to wrap up and Decima/Anonymous With Guns/The Relevant List to re-enter the picture? I'm not saying she's Control -- it doesn't even entirely line up -- but if that's where they're going, it wouldn't be the worst choice.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

It was recalibrating based on new information. It assumed Samaritan was deactivated, but now that there's a Mexican Standoff over where it is, The Machine is saying "Oh wait, maybe it's still running. Better check that."

Also, I totally hedged, BUT...

Right, as far as the Machine knew, Samaritan wasn't even in a position where it could be put into action. Now it knows that it has the potential to be operational, so it's going to start looking into it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the few concrete things we know about Harold's past is that he got in big trouble when he was younger. Looks like it might be that he was a hacker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

One of the few concrete things we know about Harold's past is that he got in big trouble when he was younger. Looks like it might be that he was a hacker.

We knew that he used a homemade computer to expose the code of the then military-controlled internet precursor ARPANET to the public

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So when Control referred to Harold's "greatest accomplishment" or however she phrased it, was she talking about Reese or the machine?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

except for that piece of crap, PRISM
:lol:

Iowa Snow King posted:

It updated its status of Samaritan from DEACTIVATED to UNKNOWN and was estimating OPERATIONAL CONFLICT POTENTIAL.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well that's a good way to justify having one more pre-winter break episode. :stare:
Yeah that was a lot of mythology. From the channel guide description, I thought it was going to be a stand-alone episode about Reese taking off and the team tracking him down. I'm going to have to watch it again tomorrow for that glorious Fusco fight and to pause every frame of the Machine at the end.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I like how the Machine had PRISM listed as ACTIVE, DECOY along with a few others.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

jscolon2.0 posted:

The records were presumably doctored, since Harold didn't know she was dead either.

Control said "drives" so presumably it's deactivated and just in storage. I think the Machine is just reacting to what was said.

He even pulled up a picture of her driver's license and sent it to Shaw when she first appeared. He checked, it's just that someone as high up as Control can presumably fake an identity about as well as Harold can.

Machine predicting 83% on Shaw dying :eek:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

raditts posted:

So when Control referred to Harold's "greatest accomplishment" or however she phrased it, was she talking about Reese or the machine?

The Machine, since she said she wanted what belonged to her back. Although I supposed that could also apply to Reese.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

I like how the Machine had PRISM listed as ACTIVE, DECOY along with a few others.
Also Hersh's first name! Bob of all things.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Reese, Root, and Fusco. And Bear. Maybe they'll bring back what's his face, from season two, too. Leon. Lets bring Leon back.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpookyLizard posted:

Reese, Root, and Fusco. And Bear. Maybe they'll bring back what's his face, from season two, too. Leon. Lets bring Leon back.

I will be so happy if Leon makes a comeback.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

StarkRavingMad posted:

Machine predicting 83% on Shaw dying :eek:

Never going to happen, the guy behind her stands way too close so she can grab his gun and the octogenarian on the left will die of old age before the next episode.

No idea what to make of the green box on Hersh, there is no way I can ever see him working with Finch.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's yellow not green, and all it means is he knows about the machine.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So much!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Teen Harold just Captain Crunched that phone.

raditts posted:

I certainly never expected to see a Captain Crunch reference in a TV show in 2013.
I really marked out at this. Also the machine is accessing the FBI database for an open investigation from 1979 targeting UNIDENTIFIED "PHONE PHREAK"

Sober posted:

Also Hersh's first name! Bob of all things.
Actually, the only person whose actual name was listed seems to be Arthur T. Claypool. Robert N. Hersh is seen as an alias with [REDACTED] as name. But also for Shaw! Sameen Shaw is given as an alias with [REDACTED] as actual name. So that's not her real name?

Also the alias for I'm presuming Control's hired guns (former Secret Service?) is given as VERMILLION.7A and VERMILLION.7C. There were three, so I'm guessing the other is VERMILLION.7B but the machine doesn't expect him to die?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SpookyLizard posted:

Leon should be in every single episode.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Sub Rosa posted:

So much!

I really marked out at this. Also the machine is accessing the FBI database for an open investigation from 1979 targeting UNIDENTIFIED "PHONE PHREAK"

Also, it was accessing footage from a domestic surveillance flight from 1971 earlier. I was chuffed that I caught that.

Man, this showing. Time to go read that avclub piece someone mentioned on the previous page, and nod in agreement.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Quick question for the sharp-eyed viewers-
I think this was the first time that Collier or any of the Vigilance team were shown on a surveillance camera, or rather, through the machine's eye. Did Collier have a yellow box?

-
I was worried this might be a throwaway episode, but instead we got 2 major villain appearances (Vigilance and Special Counsel), Finch backstory (Paris in Lassiter), Reese/Fusco fisticuffs, Shaw being Shaw, Control revealed, Samaritan, and I'm probably forgetting something.

Also of note- Finch ignoring the machine and Reese ignoring someone pleading for help; Root back to being locked in the cage again (continuity?); and also, "You think I won this detective shield in a poker game?"

This show is so good I want to spread it all over the floor and roll around in it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Quick question for the sharp-eyed viewers-
I think this was the first time that Collier or any of the Vigilance team were shown on a surveillance camera, or rather, through the machine's eye. Did Collier have a yellow box?
The only time he was on surveillance feed was the vehicle, and since S3 the vehicle box is coloured by whoever is in it. It was white, rather than yellow (Finch in his car nearby is a yellow vehicle box). If Collier does know he has never spoken about it for the Machine to know and update its records, although for Root I did notice in the S1 finale when she initially appears she immediately had a yellow box, so I don't know how that happened (unless the Machine also learned about her in S1 during "Root Cause" where she was offscreen the whole time).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think there is an argument that root got her yellow box from deductive reasoning, as did Carter. I was actually looking for Claypool to switch to yellow when he deduced that The Machine exists because otherwise the other attempts would not have been scrapped, but he stayed white.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
^^ This was my guess- given what we know so far of Vigilance's agenda, their paranoid zeal, and resources. I'm thinking that somehow they have either deduced or they suspect the existence of a watchful machine intelligence. If Root and Carter can earn their own yellow boxes, I would not be surprised at all if Collier and/or Vigilance has somehow done the same.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sub Rosa posted:

I think there is an argument that root got her yellow box from deductive reasoning, as did Carter. I was actually looking for Claypool to switch to yellow when he deduced that The Machine exists because otherwise the other attempts would not have been scrapped, but he stayed white.

Well, he deducted *something* might exist and be the reason for the canceled project, but he didn't know anything concrete, so I see why he stayed with a white box.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Collier was searching for Samaritan rather than The Machine specifically so he wouldn't get a yellow box. Same deal with Claypool (and the NSA guy from season 1); they know about a machine, but not The Machine. That makes both Root and Carter's deductions that much more impressive.

This show is so great. It's managed to have two mid-season finales.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Did Shaw refer to "Ma'am" in this? I remember somebody called Ma'am who was in shadows working for Control, but I don't remember the episode.

I always struggle to catch information when the machine does its calculations, but I think it predicted a high probability of "death of Administrator".

I loved how Fusco waited for John to get blitzed and then picked a fight.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Croisquessein posted:

Did Shaw refer to "Ma'am" in this? I remember somebody called Ma'am who was in shadows working for Control, but I don't remember the episode.

I always struggle to catch information when the machine does its calculations, but I think it predicted a high probability of "death of Administrator".

I loved how Fusco waited for John to get blitzed and then picked a fight.

Ma'am IS Control, she ordered Hersh to kill Special Counsel in the S2 finale, and was revealed to us in yesterdays episode.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This episode made me mad because it was so obvious that woman wasn't Arthur's real wife and I wanted to yell at the dumb characters being dumb. I suppose that it is "tv viewer logic" versus "tv character logic" though. Also Saul Rubinek playing a secret service agent named Arthur who was up to mysterious shenanigans was kinda funny.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Pwnstar posted:

This episode made me mad because it was so obvious that woman wasn't Arthur's real wife and I wanted to yell at the dumb characters being dumb. I suppose that it is "tv viewer logic" versus "tv character logic" though. Also Saul Rubinek playing a secret service agent named Arthur who was up to mysterious shenanigans was kinda funny.

I'm one of those people who gets sucked into the show, so I didn't really see it coming. As a Psych Student, I also know that it is possible for the kind of symptoms that this week's POI had to, well, exist.

I definitely wasn't expecting Control herself to show up at all. That last reveal was amazing. This who show is amazing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was completely blindsided by the reveal. Didn't even occur to me as a possibility due to the way he acted in general.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pwnstar posted:

Well, I was surprised by it, but I'm bad at finding out stuff early on in any case.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

richardfun posted:

Also, it was accessing footage from a domestic surveillance flight from 1971 earlier. I was chuffed that I caught that.

D.B. Cooper?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Am I the only person that thinks Root is talking to Samaritan rather then Harold's Machine. That would make a lot of sense based on the whole "wants us to work together thing". It's not Harold and Root that need to work together, it's the two machines.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Think back to the events at the end of season 2's finale and you'll see why that doesn't make any sense.

This episode was NOT saying there are currently two active machines monitoring everyone. Harold's machine is the only one that's currently operational. The thing about Samaritan is that it was the only other attempt besides Harold's that actually succeeded and was ready to be implemented, it was just a little bit behind. So it still exists and is ready to be put into action if they can find it, but it's not currently monitoring anything.

Control's new interest in Samaritan is a direct reaction to Harold's machine disappearing. While it's still giving them numbers, they no longer control it. So they either want to find Samaritan, to put a new machine into action that's completely under their control, or they want to find out where Harold's machine relocated itself so that they can get their hands on it again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sbaldrick posted:

Am I the only person that thinks Root is talking to Samaritan rather then Harold's Machine.

This interpretation basically requires you to ignore a bunch of really blatant, not-at-all ambiguous scenes that show, from the Machine's perspective, Root being "retasked" as its Analog Interface. Also I'm pretty sure if Root was in communication with a second A.I. that she would have said something about it. The audio cue you can hear when she puts on an earbud or bluetooth is the same one they've been using for Finch's Machine since we first heard it on-screen.

Like, there's literally zero evidence that this would be the case. Also, based on that last scene in the episode with the Machine calculating "operational conflict" percentages I'm not entirely sure that it views Samaritan as a potential friend, at least not yet.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I think Root is talking to the machine thru Bear. Doesn't bear have an electronic collar?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

stoops posted:

I think Root is talking to the machine thru Bear. Doesn't bear have an electronic collar?

She has a window, it's probably flashing stop lights at her or something.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

User-Friendly posted:

She has a window, it's probably flashing stop lights at her or something.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking. A street lamp that was 'on the fritz' could go unnoticed for a while. Or maybe something that could make noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I'm assuming Root, Reese & Fusco will be working together to save Shaw and Harold.

• Locked thread