Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Yessss. I won't be able to simulwatch due to the time difference, but those are fantastic choices.

Just keep in mind you don't need to watch at the same time to still participate and enjoy the simulwatches; live commentary is a minor facet. It is more about discussing the individual episodes after they "air".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Redcrimson posted:

I think Vision of Escaflowne would be a good choice if they can deal with older cel animation.
Definetly this, but you may want to wait a little bit as the older DVDs are only available second hand and have awful transfers. There should be a US Blu-Ray within the next year though.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I had enjoyed Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they're?, is there anything else like that?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Just finished Jormungand. I've also watched and enjoyed Black Lagoon and Gunslinger Girl. What else is there that looks good, has enjoyable characters, and a good/great plot?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

gepgepgep posted:

Jormungand, Black Lagoon, Gunslinger Girl

Based on that list, Baccano!, Psycho-Pass, and Ghost in the Shell:SAC would probably be up your alley.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you end up liking Baccano, follow it up with Durarara!! (same author). Trigun has some really cool gun stuff too.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Redcrimson posted:

Based on that list, Baccano!, Psycho-Pass, and Ghost in the Shell:SAC would probably be up your alley.

ViggyNash posted:

If you end up liking Baccano, follow it up with Durarara!! (same author). Trigun has some really cool gun stuff too.

Doubles yes all of these and also Gungrave. Cowboy Bebop since I can't mindread whether you've seen it or not.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Awesome, added a lot of those to my list to watch. Thank you!

I have seen Trigun and Cowboy Bebop before and enjoyed both of those. But as you stated, impossible to read minds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you liked Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, you really should watch Tiger and Bunny. It's a series about corporate superheroes and is one of the best shows of the last decade. It's also really god drat funny while sporting some great action and wonderfully hammy plot at the same time. The characters are mostly outstanding, with almost all the heroes getting great character building throughout the show. Sky High and Fire Emblem are the best, though Wild Tiger is up there too for how much of a God drat Dad he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JiRgs0I9E&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 13, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Invictus posted:

Sky High is the best

Absolutely.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just have to open up on this one:

I randomly decided to watch Juuni Kokuki thanks to the amount of recommendations few pages back and I'd like to say Holy poo poo, thanks, I just marathoned this thing in three days after finals!

I liked that the series had a competent protagonist, who at some point I genuinely believed might actually turn evil, and I was kinda giddy about it. Jesus that moment in the beginning of the show where she's kinda gleeful about slaying bunch of Youma and afterwards laves Rakushou basically for dead. Genuinely good character design. I think they kinda nailed the "boyish" appearance, she felt believable Doing all the crazy stuff with the sword that she did without losing "grace" so to speak. Great VA, interesting setting. Actual character progression for SEVERAL characters. My God.

My only issues were the fact that the pace felt absolutely terrible at times, even without the genuine filler/recap episodes that I basically fast forwarded in order to hear what some of the characters thought of stuff. And the kirin part around episode 20 that continued for ages. Christ. Absolutely hated that part. It would have been torturous to watch this anime when it originally aired, but being able to just completely devour the series really made the point moot.

Also, absolutely foretold Yoko's first edict the second she was disdained at not being able to see people's emotions when they were kow-towing to her. I felt that after the midway of the series there were basically four highlights that were built upon. Yoko becoming a queen, Yoko revealing her identity to the girls and the rebels. Yoko defeating the corrupted officials, and finally the declaration of her first edict which in my opinion might as well have ended the anime adaptation. I heard that the original artist just stopped writing the LNs and they ran out of material.

King of En was pretty great, too.

:supaburn: "What are we going to do, the rebels in the province are up to no good?!"
:smug: "I'm going to sleep"
:supaburn: "But, Your Highness!"
:smug: "Oh, and I'll join their army."
:psypop:

Is there anything to be gained from reading the original light novels? Is there any other material worth checking out? Are there any other good series similar to this out there? Just in case, yes, I've watched LOGH already. Honestly, finishing this series gave me the kind of an empty feeling. Doubting I'll find anything as good as this in a while. Watching Yoko grow as a character was amazing.

Edit: Probably sounds like a weird comparison, but marathoning this series felt a bit like playing an old Bioware RPG except with a better plot and execution. I felt like I cared for the protagonist way more than usual.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 15, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hated Tokyopop but I was gutted when they stopped releasing the novels. They only got four books into it, so they didn't really add anything the anime hadn't already adapted (next book would have been new material). Anyway it is technically ongoing, though the author only prints short story collections these days. There are at least two full-fledged books that weren't touched upon in the anime: one deals with the ascension of Shushou (the little girl who rules Kyou), and the other wraps up the Taiki story that both the anime and the second book left unfinished. I think for all intents and purposes the Wa Province arc in the anime and books is the "end" of the story proper so it's still a pretty good conclusion.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Just finished Welcome to the NHK! and Stein;s Gate, both of which I really enjoyed. I liked the dramedy aspects of NHK and really enjoyed the transition from a sorta light hearted show to how heavy the second half was in Stein;s Gate. NHK did feel a bit rushed towards the end and the conclusion didn't really feel conclusive enough for me, but it was still a great ride and Chris Patton's performance was amazing. I'm going to pick up the manga for NHK as I hear it goes in a really different direction, but anything that would be recommendable to someone who really loved these two shows?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Just finished Welcome to the NHK! and Stein;s Gate, both of which I really enjoyed. I liked the dramedy aspects of NHK and really enjoyed the transition from a sorta light hearted show to how heavy the second half was in Stein;s Gate. NHK did feel a bit rushed towards the end and the conclusion didn't really feel conclusive enough for me, but it was still a great ride and Chris Patton's performance was amazing. I'm going to pick up the manga for NHK as I hear it goes in a really different direction, but anything that would be recommendable to someone who really loved these two shows?

Watch The Tatami Galaxy, it's the perfect third entry in a trilogy of "loser learns to be something better" shows.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Chickenfrogman posted:

Not quite the same but I actually found Robotic;Notes a really cute and enjoyable show. Quite a bit more lighthearted than Steins;Gate (although it does get slightly more serious towards the end). I really enjoyed and found it just a pleasant show to watch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Devil is a Part Timer is an adaptation by the same studio as Steins;Gate and it has the same mix of down to earth setting and fantastical elements. Skip episode 10, though. Eden of The East is a bit bizarre but hits a lot of what makes Steins;Gate cool.

The only shows I can think of that hit the same kind of mix of comedy and drama as successfully as Welcome to the NHK are Jonsi shows like Princess Jellyfish or NANA.

Planetes might also be up your alley, it's a show about space garbagemen that can be darkly funny as well as moody and political.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The Devil is a Part Timer
Tatami Galaxy
Planetes

These sound a bit like what I'm looking for, primarily the first one. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Time of Eve is also a fun watch. It tends to be quirky and silly a lot of the time, but it also explores some very interesting themes in an exceptionally novel way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

The only shows I can think of that hit the same kind of mix of comedy and drama as successfully as Welcome to the NHK are Jonsi shows like Princess Jellyfish or NANA.

I know it's a typo, but I am laughing at thinking about anime that the lead singer of Sigur Ros would be involved in.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I love me some Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, Dead Leaves and the currently airing Kill la Kill.

What to watch next?! As you can tell I like over-the-top, self-aware, and vulgar animes. FLCL is already on my list since I have surprisingly not seen that yet.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Anony Mouse posted:

I love me some Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, Dead Leaves and the currently airing Kill la Kill.

What to watch next?! As you can tell I like over-the-top, self-aware, and vulgar animes. FLCL is already on my list since I have surprisingly not seen that yet.

Black Lagoon seems like it would fit the bill. It's the sort of series Quentin Tarantino would make.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
My girlfriend is on a serious anime binge after randomly watching Ouran High School Host Club on Netflix. She's pretty steadfast in her desire for high school romantic comedies so I told her about the only two I knew were decent ToraDora and Lovely Complex which she blew through and now she's starting to settle on horrible poo poo that Hulu recommends. I'm out of ideas and want her to watch something halfway ok. Any suggestions? She's pretty dismissive of space stuff (old space anime is basically the only thing I know about) and prefers comedy to romance if it boils down to it, any suggestions?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Clannad would pretty much be the best thing in that vein she hasn't watched.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hey guys mind game was a really cool movie so besides the obvious other yuasa stuff what's some good stuff with funky style

oh yeah i've seen like FLCL and dead leaves if that stuff counts

yea ok fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 17, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Hey guys mind game was a really cool movie so besides the obvious other yuasa stuff what's some good stuff with funky style

oh yeah i've seen like FLCL and dead leaves if that stuff counts

REDLINE

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Vhak lord of hate posted:

My girlfriend is on a serious anime binge after randomly watching Ouran High School Host Club on Netflix. She's pretty steadfast in her desire for high school romantic comedies so I told her about the only two I knew were decent ToraDora and Lovely Complex which she blew through and now she's starting to settle on horrible poo poo that Hulu recommends. I'm out of ideas and want her to watch something halfway ok. Any suggestions? She's pretty dismissive of space stuff (old space anime is basically the only thing I know about) and prefers comedy to romance if it boils down to it, any suggestions?

Make her watch Haruhi. You could try Steins;Gate as well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

School Rumble is awesome, and she should watch that. I thought that ToraDora was more drama and romance than comedy (though it did have a good amount of amusing bits), and if she liked that she might enjoy perhaps AnoHana or Hanasaku Iroha.

I'd suggest perhaps checking out things like Azumanga Daioh, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, and Hidamari Sketch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

School Rumble is awesome, and she should watch that. I thought that ToraDora was more drama and romance than comedy (though it did have a good amount of amusing bits), and if she liked that she might enjoy perhaps AnoHana or Hanasaku Iroha.

I'd suggest perhaps checking out things like Azumanga Daioh, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, and Hidamari Sketch.

I'd add Nichijou to these recommendations as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty much any Key adaptation. Clannad was already mentioned (2 seasons, second called Clannad Afterstory), Angel Beats is fantastic, and has lots of awesome action mixed in, and I've heard good things about Kanon.

Anony Mouse posted:

Zetsubo Sayonara Sensei. Akihito Shinbo is about as insane a director as Imaishi, but a whole lot more schizophrenic. It isn't over-the-top in the same way though... watch the first couple episodes, and you'll know what I mean.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

You might as well continue watching Gainax stuff and go with Gunbuster and Diebuster. Diebuster is more of what you're looking for than Gunbuster is, but watching Gunbuster first makes Diebuster a lot more effective. Plus they're only 6 episodes each anyways.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I have a habit of catching up on anime over the winter break, and so I'm curious as to what people thought the standouts of 2013 were. I watched Gargantia, Servant x Service, and The Devil is a Part Timer and I'm currently watching Golden Time, and Kill la Kill. (I may have forgotten about some titles from early in the year.)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try Flowers of Evil, Silver Spoon, Gatchaman Crowds, The Eccentric Family, and Watamote.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's probably going to be a best of 2013 thread within the next couple of weeks, so certainly keep an eye out for that. Ignoring stuff you have already listed, there was also Chihayafuru, Silver Spoon, Monogatari, The Eccentric Family, and Non Non Biyori.

I'd probably say my favorites of 2013 were Chihayafuru, Devil is a Part-timer, and surprisingly Monogatari. It was kind of a light year.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
^^ Ah, I see you edited in that you'd already seen it, but my statement still stands.

Cake Attack posted:

I have a habit of catching up on anime over the winter break, and so I'm curious as to what people thought the standouts of 2013 were. I watched Gargantia, Servant x Service, and The Devil is a Part Timer and I'm currently watching Golden Time, and Kill la Kill. (I may have forgotten about some titles from early in the year.)

My biggest surprise of 2013 was definitely The Devil is a Part-Timer! (Hataraku Maou-sama!). It pretty much came out of nowhere, and it's a light novel adaptation. Not going to lie, those are usually terrible. However, the series has good comedy and it's breezy and fun. I found myself actually looking forward to the next episode each week, and I don't usually follow things weekly. It's a punchy, well paced series with some fun battles occasionally.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The Devil Tesla posted:

Try Flowers of Evil, Silver Spoon, Gatchaman Crowds, The Eccentric Family, and Watamote.

Double plusing those two as a recommendation. Never finished Flowers of Evil because I picked the manga up instead. Still need to read/watch Silver Spoon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh, I suppose I should have mentioned I read a lot of manga, and I'm not overly interested in watching adaptions thereof. I've read the Flowers of Evil, Silver Spoon, Watamote, and Attack on Titan (to preempt anyone recommending that.)

The Eccentric Family and Gatchaman are good recommendations though, thanks!

Nate RFB posted:

There's probably going to be a best of 2013 thread within the next couple of weeks, so certainly keep an eye out for that. Ignoring stuff you have already listed, there was also Chihayafuru, Silver Spoon, Monogatari, The Eccentric Family, and Non Non Biyori.

I'd probably say my favorites of 2013 were Chihayafuru, Devil is a Part-timer, and surprisingly Monogatari. It was kind of a light year.

Oh right, I loved the first season of Chihayafuru, I don't know why I never ended up following the second. I'm not really in the mood for the kind of show Non Non Biyori is at the moment, unless there's something deceptive about it. As for Monogatari, I actually have been making my way through Bakemonogatari so I'll get to that eventually.

Thanks everyone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Oh, I suppose I should have mentioned I read a lot of manga, and I'm not overly interested in watching adaptions thereof. I've read the Flowers of Evil, Silver Spoon, Watamote, and Attack on Titan (to preempt anyone recommending that.)

Since you've read the Flowers of Evil manga, go and watch episode 7 of the anime. They did a fantastic job with that episode and even though you've read the manga you gotta see how the anime handled the scene where they vandalize the classroom. Don't even need to watch any other episode since you know how the rest of that goes, but the way the anime handled it completely justified their use of rotoscoping.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

As for Monogatari, I actually have been making my way through Bakemonogatari so I'll get to that eventually.

This season is good enough to be worth forcing your way through Nise-, regardless of what you eventually think of it. You'll see what I mean when you get into it.

I don't think anyone mentioned Servant x Service, Psycho-Pass, both are fantastic. From this season my picks that weren't mentioned would be Kyousogiga, Samurai Flamenco, Nagi no Asukara, and Log Horizon, but the last three are extending into winter season so they won't be completed by winter break.

vv As I mentioned...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 18, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

This season is good enough to be worth forcing your way through Nise-, regardless of what you eventually think of it. You'll see what I mean when you get into it.

I don't think anyone mentioned Servant x Service, Psycho-Pass, both are fantastic. From this season my picks that weren't mentioned would be Kyousogiga, Samurai Flamenco, Nagi no Asukara, and Log Horizon, but the last three are extending into winter season so they won't be completed by winter break.

Samurai Flamenco and Nagi are also currently airing, so it's really early to put them on any best of lists. Even if what has aired up to now has been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

I have a habit of catching up on anime over the winter break, and so I'm curious as to what people thought the standouts of 2013 were.

Let's not forget the least animated anime ever: Inferno Cop.

• Locked thread