Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

They have some in the Legion of Superheroes. They also have Matter Eating Lad, and I would love to see the reaction to him on Arrow.

I was (unsuccessfully) commenting how Iris and her possible Ernie Hudson dad didn't have to be the same skin color.

But it was just one of the original (thoroughly rewritten and redacted) histories. But this is verging on comic chat. That being said, I am psyched Ernie Hudson will have a role on TV again. It's been so long for the man. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

I was (unsuccessfully) commenting how Iris and her possible Ernie Hudson dad didn't have to be the same skin color.

But it was just one of the original (thoroughly rewritten and redacted) histories. But this is verging on comic chat. That being said, I am psyched Ernie Hudson will have a role on TV again. It's been so long for the man. :allears:

I hope he is as vindictive as he was on OZ. He was a good man but if you gently caress with his family he will destroy you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope he is as vindictive as he was on OZ. He was a good man but if you gently caress with his family he will destroy you.

Instead of the FLASHbacks :v: to the island like in Arrow, I would be amazed to see 1/5th of the show just go absolutely dark, as Det West runs some sort of Training Day-esque thing on his own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deadpool posted:

Ernie Hudson is awesome. I fully support this.

He already knows how to play a good beat cop (see: The Crow). I'm all for that casting too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ernie Hudson is loving amazing and them getting him on The Flash is a loving steal!!

DAMMIT I WANT ERNIE HUDSON ON ARROW!!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Drifter posted:

Instead of the FLASHbacks :v: to the island like in Arrow, I would be amazed to see 1/5th of the show just go absolutely dark, as Det West runs some sort of Training Day-esque thing on his own.

I want to see FLASHforwards instead. Free Professor Zoom origin story oportunities!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry to come in here kick an ignorant child, but I keep hearing this show rocks "now".

Is the first season tolerable? I think I want to give it a go...

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sorry to come in here kick an ignorant child, but I keep hearing this show rocks "now".

It starts off well and has a few hurdles here and there but I thought it was very good for the most part. One of the few shows I actively looked forward to last year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Feenix posted:

Tolerable? Absolutely. It's really solid, with a couple of rough patches. Definitely worth watching.

It does take a few episodes to find its legs though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Some Numbers posted:

Tolerable? Absolutely. It's really solid, with a couple of rough patches. Definitely worth watching.

It does take a few episodes to find its legs though.

Yay, thanks guys. Time to go on a bender!

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Feenix posted:

Yay, thanks guys. Time to go on a bender!

I nabbed the season one DVDs for my birthday recently, and just binged through it.

It's really solid. It has a few weak points, but watching it all together without weeklong gaps helps mitigate that.

Plus, that goddamn finale.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
The writing is a bit flaky and there's no real tension or plot until 3/4 of the first season. Second season has been absolutely off the rocks amazing though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So, I'm rewatching the first Barry episode. Oliver's exact words about Ivo and the serum: "He's dead. So is everyone he injected with the serum, the last of which, I burned."

Well, Ivo didn't inject Slade, did he? Oliver might know that Slade is alive.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Ernie Hudson is loving amazing and them getting him on The Flash is a loving steal!!

DAMMIT I WANT ERNIE HUDSON ON ARROW!!

Countdown to the first Ghostbusters Easter egg on the Flash begins....now

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Let me say this as someone who is more in love with this show than almost anything else on TV right now: How well you like a lot of the first season will depend on several factors...
    A) How well you tolerate rich white people having rich white problems full tilt soap opera style. Characters like Moira, Thea, and even Malcolm will turn out to be really awesome characters as the show goes on, but for the most part they feel like they stepped right out from "Days of Our Lives" and turn everything in their immediate vicinity into daytime TV.

B) How well you tolerate endless CW romance melodrama. Laurel, Tommy, and Ollie get into this three-way vortex of unrequited sexual tension pretty early on and it literally just goes on and on and on for the whole season.

C) How well you tolerate this show really blatantly ripping off Batman for ideas.

D) Your capacity to forget that the Huntress episodes ever happened.

E) Ollie getting captured by soldiers and getting away but getting captured again then getting away again and then getting
If you can let all those things just kind of pass over you like water washing past unyielding rock, the first season will be much more pleasant to experience. The majority of it really is pretty solid and enjoyable, like when it focuses on the dynamics of Team Arrow and on the massive, twisting stakes in the unfolding storyline.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

Let me say this as someone who is more in love with this show than almost anything else on TV right now: How well you like a lot of the first season will depend on several factors...[list]A) How well you tolerate rich white people having rich white problems full tilt soap opera style. Characters like Moira, Thea, and even Malcolm will turn out to be really awesome characters as the show goes on, but for the most part they feel like they stepped right out from "Days of Our Lives" and turn everything in their immediate vicinity into daytime TV.

B) How well you tolerate endless CW romance melodrama. Laurel, Tommy, and Ollie get into this three-way vortex of unrequited sexual tension pretty early on and it literally just goes on and on and on for the whole season.

As someone who's currently working his way through this show after being convinced by TVIV at large to give it a shot, I have to say these two things right here are the biggest issues I have with it so far (I just finished episode 16, next up is...another Huntress episode, oh boy). Thea's constant drama is pretty annoying and it's hard to sympathize with someone who keeps trying to guilt-trip a guy who spent five years on Hell Island by complaining about how hard she had it when her dad died. I mean that sucks losing a parent and a brother, but it happens all the time to plenty of people who don't have millions of dollars, all the conveniences of the First World upper class, and friends to lean on, so when she's getting tearfully angry about how her life was hell too it's like, can we have less of this and more shooting arrows at people? Likewise I get the feeling the show wants me to have sympathy for Moira but she really just comes across as relentlessly passive-aggressive, self-centered, and insincere.

The love triangle...well, it's a CW show so I went into it with eyes open but yeah, it's both by the numbers boring and persistent. Part of Ollie's character even in the comics is he's a horndog with commitment issues so I can't even really fault the show too much...when you get right down to it, superhero comics and soap operas are genetically pretty similar so if anything CW is being faithful to the source...but it's still a slog at times.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If it makes you feel better you're close to where the show starts hitting its late season stride. Even the third Huntress episode isn't as bad as the first two.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Some Numbers posted:

So, I'm rewatching the first Barry episode. Oliver's exact words about Ivo and the serum: "He's dead. So is everyone he injected with the serum, the last of which, I burned."

Well, Ivo didn't inject Slade, did he? Oliver might know that Slade is alive.

Unlikely. If he did, his "ghost" would have had one eye less, seeing how he was responsible for it and all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hcreight posted:

Even the third Huntress episode isn't as bad as the first two.

I'm watching it right now and unless it ends with Ollie putting an arrow in her in a can't-come-back-from-the-dead, shipped off to that great big cornfield in the sky sort of way, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Man this is awful. "She's not evil, Dig! Yeah, she's threatening to kill my family and friends unless I help her murder someone, but nope, gonna ride this crazy train all the way to the end of the line."

e; Seriously, every time Helena is on screen please just immediately flash me back to the adventures of younger Ollie and Slade Wilson in Metal Gear Solid 3.

e2; Oh fucksake. If she catches the arrow just shoot her again, she's standing right there. Oh look, and now she went and shot your girlfriend and ran away, well done. Now she can come back again, just what this show needs.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 18, 2013

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kai Tave posted:

e2; Oh fucksake. If she catches the arrow just shoot her again, she's standing right there. Oh look, and now she went and shot your girlfriend and ran away, well done. Now she can come back again, just what this show needs.

She hasn't yet, if it makes you feel any better.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Klungar posted:

She hasn't yet, if it makes you feel any better.

I had completely forgotten she was still alive until this conversation. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TheChad posted:

I had completely forgotten she was still alive until this conversation. :(

It's okay, she's probably in Gotham by now and we'll never see her ever again until Nightwing comes to Starling looking for her.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm sure they're saving her for the season two finale. Just you wait, it's only a matter of time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Maybe she's going to crop up as Slade's new apprentice. I'm sure he's amenable to doing anything that would press Ollie's buttons.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrianWilly posted:

C) How well you tolerate this show really blatantly ripping off Batman for ideas.

Realistically the entire Green Arrow comic book series could have been titled "Green Arrow: Blatantly ripping off Batman". That's not exactly a show problem vs a Marvel Universe problem

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

Realistically the entire Green Arrow comic book series could have been titled "Green Arrow: Blatantly ripping off Batman". That's not exactly a show problem vs a Marvel Universe problem

I think you meant DC Universe. It's an understandable mistake-- it makes more sense for Marvel to rip off DC than it does for DC to rip off themselves. But then, if you have a formula that works... :homebrew:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe she's going to crop up as Slade's new apprentice. I'm sure he's amenable to doing anything that would press Ollie's buttons.

Hopefully Slade kills her off for dramatic tension and also so she can't poo poo up the show again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spergatory posted:

I think you meant DC Universe. It's an understandable mistake-- it makes more sense for Marvel to rip off DC than it does for DC to rip off themselves. But then, if you have a formula that works... :homebrew:

Yeah, I bounce between this thread and the agents of shield thread and crossed my universes. :argh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Whizbang posted:

Hopefully Slade kills her off for dramatic tension and also so she can't poo poo up the show again.

Personally I'm just hoping she doesn't come back even if it's to be killed. Like, it's okay to let some plot threads be loose sometimes, y'know? Also if she was killed you know they'd spin it so Ollie angsted over it instead of going "man, glad that's over with."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wrote up an article about Arrow's similarities to the Batman films a little over a year ago - http://glipho.com/steven/the-cw-s-arrow-bat-clone-or-bat-successor

Not trying to self-promote or anything, I don't even write for that site any more. And The Huntress episodes weren't the worst thing ever - the only part that really soured me is the completely wasted talents of Tahmoh Penikett. Though at least he got to do more than James Callis, who was part of the dullest Arrow episode ever. What was it again? A thief who, like, has a stun rod or something? Oy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well the guy he was playing was a douche from like 3 issues of the comic.

He tries to hook up with Ollie's HIV positive sidekick.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I want more BSG actor cameos. We got Helo, Baltar and Tory in season 1. Let's get Tigh and Cottle in for an episode each.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I want more BSG actor cameos. We got Helo, Baltar and Tory in season 1. Let's get Tigh and Cottle in for an episode each.

Would they get Tigh to share a scene with Manu Bennett, since he played Deathstroke in Smallville?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Some Numbers posted:

Edward James Olmos.

As Lex Luthor?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

Personally I'm just hoping she doesn't come back even if it's to be killed. Like, it's okay to let some plot threads be loose sometimes, y'know? Also if she was killed you know they'd spin it so Ollie angsted over it instead of going "man, glad that's over with."

They could pull a Sarah and have her come back, only she is played by a better actress.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They could pull a Sarah and have her come back, only she is played by a better actress.

Do Laurel first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Edward James Olmos.

As Lex Luthor?

Clayface.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ron Pearlman or Tom Waits or nobody :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
General Sam Lane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Edward James Olmos.

As Lex Luthor?

I still say Idris Elba would make the best Lex. :colbert:

Also holy poo poo I hope they don't try to tie Arrow into the 'DC Movie Universe' or whatever. I think the Flash stuff could work but I rewatched Man of Steel the other day and no loving way did that happen in the same universe as Arrow and people are still going 'what, a dude breaking down a steel door, no way'

I mean I liked MoS and I liked how someone managed to make a Superman movie out of an alien invasion/disaster flick, but it's way, way too tonally off to work with Arrow.

• Locked thread