Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I've learned so much about about Crohn's disease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Potsticker posted:

I've learned so much about about Crohn's disease!

Like the fact that it's speculation that he has it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of hate this thread right now.

It's legitimately the worst thread in BSS in my opinion. It's all the weird, entitled webcomic bullshit compounded with the more tedious parts of Dungeons and Dragons discussion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And yet here we all are, posting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like the fact that it's speculation that he has it.

Better discussion than D&D Alignments, Goblins, Earfworld, running joke about Rich being okay, Bad Business Acumen and Cloacas.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cabbit posted:

It's legitimately the worst thread in BSS in my opinion. It's all the weird, entitled webcomic bullshit compounded with the more tedious parts of Dungeons and Dragons discussion.

You know, this is Something Awful, not Something Positive. Not everything out of everyone's mouth has to be sunshine and hugs, and its okay to bitch about things that frustrate you or speculate on things tangentially related to the topic. It is even okay to disagree on things.

This is a rather tame thread, in my opinion, with a handful of people saying "Man everyone is mean."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Something Positive is a different lovely comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Phenotype posted:

It takes some people differently than others. I have Crohn's, and *knock wood* I've been more or less fine for a good few years. I'll have diarrhea, minor stomach pain here and there throughout the day, and I often get full really fast as soon as I start eating, which is actually kind of annoying when you've just made an awesome meal. That said, when I have flareups or before I found a good regimen, it can be seriously unlivable for days at a time. Constant nausea and multi-hour-long pain spasms in your gut that would have me lying in the fetal position, unable to do much else, until they randomly subsided or I finally said gently caress it and went to the ER. And people with more severe cases never find a regimen that can stop this from happening constantly. I do feel for Rich if that's what's going on when he's off for weeks. :(

This is because Crohn's disease is not an actual single disease. It describes a family of similar/related diseases. Otherwise known as a "a variety of diseases in which, for one reason or another, your immune system tries to obliterate a non-specific amount of your digestive tract".

So yeah you may know someone who has it, but their experience is not an upper OR lower boundary on what to expect.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 18, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Potsticker posted:

Better discussion than D&D Alignments, Goblins, Earfworld, running joke about Rich being okay, Bad Business Acumen and Cloacas.

I would take Alignments and The Rich being okay joke over everything else that you posted and the stuff that has been on the last several pages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would take Alignments and The Rich being okay joke over everything else that you posted and the stuff that has been on the last several pages.
Gee, I sure hope Rich's computer is okay. :ohdear:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Is there some kind of D&D class that's known for using magical items, but doesn't have any magical abilities of their own?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Is there some kind of D&D class that's known for using magical items, but doesn't have any magical abilities of their own?

Rogue?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artificers would probably count. This is also easily the most effective way to play Rogues once you start running into things that are immune to sneak attack. Use Magic Device is a ridiculously good skill.

You need healing? Buy some dirt cheap wands of Cure Light Wounds and heal everyone between fights etc.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Well Fighters, I guess.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Guilty posted:

Well Fighters, I guess.

Don't some of the people who dislike 4th Ed complain that 4th Ed's Encounter / Daily system amounts to giving Fighters "magic"?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Those people are dumb.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, how much time has passed in that world since the OotS joined up? It's what? Two years? Roy was dead for 6 months, I know.

It's easy for us to look at Belkar's character growth(real or faked) and know the difference. To Roy and the rest, it's only been a few weeks of the "new" Belkar

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Leper Colon V posted:

Gee, I sure hope Rich's computer is okay. :ohdear:

I hope Rich's feelings are okay from all the bad people saying mean things about him being dumb enough to not invest, like, a couple thousand out of his one million dollars received on a working computer :ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wolfsheim posted:

I hope Rich's feelings are okay from all the bad people saying mean things about him being dumb enough to not invest, like, a couple thousand out of his one million dollars received on a working computer :ohdear:

This is what I am getting tired of can you stop it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How long does Durkon's meditation take?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wolfsheim posted:

"Shut up," he suggested.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
I felt like this thread was going downhill, but then I started picturing everyone as 14 year old girls being catty to eachother, and that made it a lot funnier to read :)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

How long does Durkon's meditation take?

an hour

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jsoh posted:

an hour

So he's probably useless for a while. Roy might bust in on casterfightcasterfightcasterfight potioned up, though?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

So he's probably useless for a while. Roy might bust in on casterfightcasterfightcasterfight potioned up, though?

Yeah, if he made it below deck and started meditating before the fight started back up again, Durkon's sitting this one out. To fix broken bones magically, you specifically need Regeneration, which is a cleric spell, so Haley's out. Roy and Belkar can theoretically turn back around and rejoin the fight as soon as they notice the loud fight noises/remember they were just running away from a psion spamming teleport, but I'm willing to bet Tarquin's dealt with before that happens.

e: I mean, there's nothing in the rules stopping Durkon from just cancelling his prayers for spells to rejoin the fight, and the only time the concept of off-handedness ever comes up in 3.5 is when you're attacking with two weapons so by the book Haley can just get up and start swinging her sword left-handed without so much as a penalty, but let's be real here.

e2: Broken bones aren't covered in the DMG either, so super-technically she could just hold her bow in her busted arm :v:

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Presumably the broken arm is the result of some obscure feat Tarqin took. It would be really un-Tarqin for him to do something in combat that had no effect.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Presumably the broken arm is the result of some obscure feat Tarqin took. It would be really un-Tarqin for him to do something in combat that had no effect.

I can't think of anything off-hand that specifically calls out broken bones, but it's been a while and I guess even if it didn't exist in a book it doesn't make it not true in this comic. But I think mainly this is that 'if I wanna do something cool, the rules can screw' at work, because an arm at exciting new 90 degree angles is more visually striking than the character simply lying on the ground with stars over their head. It wouldn't even be the first time this scene for Haley.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's not a feat per se, Tarquin has just been playing a lot of Batman: Arkham Dungeon Crawl and learned it from that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wittgen posted:

Something like taking a level of fighter?

I'll be here all week folks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heatwizard posted:

I can't think of anything off-hand that specifically calls out broken bones, but it's been a while and I guess even if it didn't exist in a book it doesn't make it not true in this comic. But I think mainly this is that 'if I wanna do something cool, the rules can screw' at work, because an arm at exciting new 90 degree angles is more visually striking than the character simply lying on the ground with stars over their head. It wouldn't even be the first time this scene for Haley.

It feels like the kinda thing a DM would deal with on-the-fly out of sheer obviousness even if it's not specifically in the rules.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It feels like the kinda thing a DM would deal with on-the-fly out of sheer obviousness even if it's not specifically in the rules.

Order of the Stick doesn't HAVE a DM, though. :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Heatwizard posted:

e2: Broken bones aren't covered in the DMG either, so super-technically she could just hold her bow in her busted arm :v:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that D&D can have books upon books about grappling but no rules about what happens when you grapple someone hard enough to break their bones.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably just the "Shaken" status.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'd probably say it roughly translates to ability score damage or something.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I think my biggest beef with tarquin taking forever to die is that, I want more durkon. He never had much plot to begin with. Now he has a major turning point, but first we need to spend 20+ comics on tarquin. He hasn't even got New spells yet. And we got like 4-6 squares about the team's reaction.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 18, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Quote isn't an edit

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 18, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's because we're in the action sequence at the end of the book. Just like there wasn't much pause for contemplation at the end of the Siege of Azure City, there isn't going to be much off time here. The implications of Durkula will be pretty big in the next book, mark my words.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shwqa posted:

I think my biggest beef with tarquin taking forever to die is that, I want more durkon. He never had much plot to begin with. Now he has a major turning point, but first we need to spend 20+ comics on tarquin. He hasn't even got New spells yet. And we got like 4-6 squares about the team's reaction.

I really did like Belkar's reaction when talking to Roy.
"What about Durkon? That is Durkon. No, it isn't! It's Durkon enough."

I felt that exchange really showed some character growth.

Do you think the Belkar of two years ago, would have been that concerned about a vampire?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Or Roy as unconcerned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do you think the Belkar of two years ago, would have been that concerned about a vampire?

Maybe one that half ate him.