Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Is there any way of transferring the Desura key for Dom4 to Steam? Project Zomboid had a way to do it, but I can't seem to find anything about this.

jsoh posted:

Games>activate product on steam> put in the cd key.

Thank you!

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

retpocileh posted:

Is there any way of transferring the Desura key for Dom4 to Steam? Project Zomboid had a way to do it, but I can't seem to find anything about this.

Games>activate product on steam> put in the cd key.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ok, trying this again. Going LA Man with the God of War? Pretender. Crank him up to W9, then get Dominion 6, Order 1, 3 production and 3 Drain. Start him asleep.

My troop strategy is to focus on massing Heavy Archers, and Wardens, with Tower Knights coming out when my second Castle is up and running. The Archers will be lead by normal Castellians and the Wardens by Lord Wardens/Prophet for blesses.

The troops are backed up by Magistrates bringing down magic, eventually communizing them for bigger boom spells.

Since all my Magistrates are A and R I'll give all my researchers Owl Quills for a bigger bonus.

Once my Pretender awakens I'll have him site search and equip him with the best gear I can; probably anti-fatigue gear and regeneration stuff.

With all of that set, does it seem viable or am I missing something obvious?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Ok, trying this again. Going LA Man with the God of War? Pretender. Crank him up to W9, then get Dominion 6, Order 1, 3 production and 3 Drain. Start him asleep.

My troop strategy is to focus on massing Heavy Archers, and Wardens, with Tower Knights coming out when my second Castle is up and running. The Archers will be lead by normal Castellians and the Wardens by Lord Wardens/Prophet for blesses.

The troops are backed up by Magistrates bringing down magic, eventually communizing them for bigger boom spells.

Since all my Magistrates are A and R I'll give all my researchers Owl Quills for a bigger bonus.

Once my Pretender awakens I'll have him site search and equip him with the best gear I can; probably anti-fatigue gear and regeneration stuff.

I'm still completely grasping at things and barely understand how site searching works, but dont you need a high skill in a path to find sites? So W9 would mean he's fantastic at finding water sites but does fuckall to help you find the others.

And should I assume that rushing Thaumaturgy 3 is a given for a lot of people because that's where all the remote site search spells seem to be? Goddamn, I tried doing manual searching and that about drove me mad.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, you do need higher skill to find sites. But only up to a point. Once you hit level 4 in any magic path, then you cannot find any more sites. The rarest sites are level 4, and the most common are level 1. Getting site search spells is often a goal for players, especially if they are trying to increase their diversity. Buying independent mages might only get you a new path every 5-6 turns, so you want them doing nothing but site searching spells to get your income up as fast as possible.

But with stronger mages which have lots of paths, you should just do manual searching. Its a lot of busywork, but its more gem and mage-turn efficient.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Excelsiortothemax posted:

That's utterly terrible in almost all ways. Man doesn't have good sacred troops, so the W9 is a waste. You can't use your god as a supercombatant, because he has no awe with only Deom 6. You've cut your gold income for no good reason by not going for Order 3, limiting your ability to spam troops and forts.

Some better options:
  • Awake Volla of the Bountiful Forest, W4N4, Dom 8, Order 3, Production 3, Drain 3. You have an awake researcher who gives you access to two paths that Man lacks by default, along with better gold income and a solid dominion score for pushing out those scales.
  • Imprisoned Oracle, S7, Dom10, Order 3, Production 3, Growth 3, Luck 3, Drain 3. The "gently caress you, eat my scales" build. All the gold in the world, combined with access to Rings of Sorcery/Wizardry for the end game, as well as a good Dispel caster.
  • Awake Dragon, 4 in whatever path comes on the flavor of dragon you want, Dom 9, Order 3, Production 3, Misfortune 1, Drain 3. Dragons are great for early expanding, and O3P3 still gives you great income, even with the need to buy more PD to deal with bad events.
  • Dormant Master Lich, D9, Dominion 7, Order 3, Production 3, Drain 3. A bit of a comedy option - you get an immortal death superpower for the late game, letting you summon up all the other death casters you could need, while not having him locked up for too long. Dropping down a couple of D levels and raising your dom score to 9 would also be good.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Magisters are top-tier mages that are not Cap-Only or StR so that's pretty powerful.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

How would you use her in the early game that's more valuable than getting 30 rp/turn in the capital?
You can much more affordably get 30rp from the Earth Made Flesh. E9W4 brings you down to 34 points, compared to 14 on an Ageless Olm, and she has a point more Dominion, plus all of the aforementioned advantages, plus full slots. Means you get a very safe Dominion 7 with one lovely scale, taking them awake. Something like Dom 7 O3S2H2D1L1M0 is pretty acceptable scales.

Compare that to an Olm where a similar bless/research output type affair is a bit of a nightmare to work around. Dom 5 and a lovely scale? Eugh. Lot of cheap temples around in MA. Dom 6 and two to take them awake? V. unappealing.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So what are the most straightforward ways to deal with skellie spam in general? As a fairly new player it seems like shaping my army to deal with this tends to lose to other things. Also I'm bad

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You can much more affordably get 30rp from the Earth Made Flesh. E9W4 brings you down to 34 points, compared to 14 on an Ageless Olm, and she has a point more Dominion, plus all of the aforementioned advantages, plus full slots. Means you get a very safe Dominion 7 with one lovely scale, taking them awake. Something like Dom 7 O3S2H2D1L1M0 is pretty acceptable scales.

Compare that to an Olm where a similar bless/research output type affair is a bit of a nightmare to work around. Dom 5 and a lovely scale? Eugh. Lot of cheap temples around in MA. Dom 6 and two to take them awake? V. unappealing.

Wouldn't you want something awake that could expand as MA Agartha though? The shard guys are kind of ok but very res intensive and without a bless they will get murdered. Your other troops are still MA Agartha troops.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

So what are the most straightforward ways to deal with skellie spam in general? As a fairly new player it seems like shaping my army to deal with this tends to lose to other things. Also I'm bad

Lots of banish. If they don't have enough blockers some fliers set to attack turn 1 can get them if you are the defender. Banish scales extremely well with H level so if you have the ability to communion them up, do so.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2013

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Lots of banish. If they don't have enough blockers some fliers set to attack turn 1 can get them if you are the defender. Banish scales extremely well with H level so if you have the ability to communion them up, do so.

So having one uber priest banishing is better than having a bunch of lil guys banishing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

So having one uber priest banishing is better than having a bunch of lil guys banishing?

Depends on the enemy but a lot of H2s is pretty optimal if you can't communion. Communions should be tons of masters with just a few slaves (i use 4 usually, or just plug them into an existing communion if there is one) as banish doesn't generate much fatigue, so instead of a pile of H2s you have a pile of effective H3 or 4s that will just obliterate the undead.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh, I didn't realize communion masters could double up on slaves.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Archers can also help with skelespam, as like with fliers they have a good chance of killing the mage. Mages will generally only get about 5 casts of skeletons before he's got way too much fatigue and needs to sleep for three or four rounds, even with an E bless or Earthpower. Then they'll have 95 fat, and will cast once more and sleep again. So any force that can kill the undead can outlast them.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 16, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
So with Earth Made Flesh I did an experiment.

10 dominion, 3 heat scale, 5 earth, 4 astral. Immediately spam researchers while your starting troops flounder around trying to kill things, and research construction.

With your starting gems you are able to get boots of the behemoth, blacksteel armor, and that amulet that protects you from afflictions. You can either send her out into your 5ish domain surrounding regions to trample literally everything to death while taking very little damage to her 500ish hp, or you can wait one more round and get some bracers of protection and finish off level 2 alteration for quickness and stoneskin.

It's not a super fast expand, but she can become a huge bully inside of your domain with an eventual 700ish hp, 30+ defence, protection, and magic resist, and eventually you can throw some flying boots on her so that she tramples with a 30+ movespeed in addition to all of that.

Someone decided to be a jerk and horror mark her, so I threw four of those taser shields onto her with the extra arms, so she would trample through the enemies with 40+ defense while the shields spam casted shocking grasp. An eater of gods tried to eat her, and instead just got electrocuted to death by the flying teslacoil god.

e: Also it's fun to enter her into the deathmatches and watch her just run up and stomp a dude in the face while he smites her for 20 damage.

Also, how does domain expansion work? I made a dumb mistake and lost my fatty trampletazer because I sent her to a place with 5 enemy domain and she had 26 hp. :downs:

If I could effectively push with domain she'd be able to roll things pretty hard.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 16, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Careful about getting diseases on Pretenders/Disciples and moving them around since it tends to instagib them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Wouldn't you want something awake that could expand as MA Agartha though? The shard guys are kind of ok but very res intensive and without a bless they will get murdered. Your other troops are still MA Agartha troops.
Agarthan Light Infantry aren't that bad at expanding with Troglodytes, to be honest. Anything they couldn't readily handle would be a think-twicer for any SC pretender early on, too (so basically Cataphracts/Knights and Wolf/Bear tribe).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
One or two of the humans statues are decent against most indies due to extremely high defense and prot. Careful about barbs though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I Love You! posted:

Against other players' skelespam, a solid block of high offensive power troops (think f9 jags, w9 lanka sacreds, etc) will just destroy skelespam. Barring that, a couple of thugs with charcoal shields and fire brands will do the trick.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You are totally right that tailoring an army to fight masses of undead reduces your strength against a lot of other stuff, though, because players are pretty likely to jump you when they realise you've put serious fort turns into getting a bunch of priests up.

Yet another reason this is basically Ermor.gif:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Lots of things are pretty effective against undead, although demons are a bit tougher. Cleansing Water, Solar Rays/Brilliance, fire and lightning in general, Wither Bones, and obviously banishment. I wouldn't suggest using ice or poison though. For a thug, the typical fire brand+charcoal+any decent armor (lots of them have magic weapons so don't use ethereal cloak) is pretty standard and not too hard to make. Fear and Awe are obviously kind of useless against them, so that means you have a free helmet slot for something. How would trampling work though?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 17, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The chaff are usually very brittle, with only 5 hp or so. Trampling could work quite well against those.

Of course, they're never ever going to rout, so it'd be easy to get your tramplers mobbed if you're not careful. And enough massed longdead horsemen will gently caress pretty much anything up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What are the things that heal nowadays, other than Gift of Health (which I could cast but honestly am not in a secure enough position to want to, what with that kind of thing being an invitation to get punched)?

Not disease heal, that's just that Faerie Chick, easy, but let's say you somehow manage to pick up a few feebleminded (living) mind hunters. What then?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There are no summons with it as far as I'm aware. If you don't have recruits that can do it, your only options are gift of health or the chalice I believe.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Blood has a hilarious affliction curing popkill spell.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

amuayse posted:

Lots of things are pretty effective against undead, although demons are a bit tougher. Cleansing Water, Solar Rays/Brilliance, fire and lightning in general, Wither Bones, and obviously banishment. I wouldn't suggest using ice or poison though. For a thug, the typical fire brand+charcoal+any decent armor (lots of them have magic weapons so don't use ethereal cloak) is pretty standard and not too hard to make. Fear and Awe are obviously kind of useless against them, so that means you have a free helmet slot for something. How would trampling work though?

Purgatory has proven burtally effective at blasting undead hordes on a global scale as I've found out in the Viola game

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Neif posted:

Purgatory has proven burtally effective at blasting undead hordes on a global scale as I've found out in the Viola game

I only got about 300 this turn, you have plenty more!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm told Earthquake works well against the undead hordes of Ermor too.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

I'm told Earthquake works well against the undead hordes of Ermor too.

Works against most things, i just had my last stand in a desura game where i cast earthquake twice and won the battle because of it.

With only my god left im going to cross my fingers for another wipe with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why did you use your whole army with the earthquakes? I can't really say I'd call that winning. Good job throwing away 15 mages, including a hero and 2 frighteningly expensive cap only STR ones to kill half a chaff blob and 5 mages, mostly cheap researchers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 18, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Why did you use your whole army with the earthquakes? I can't really say I'd call that winning. Good job throwing away 15 mages, including a hero and 2 frighteningly expensive cap only STR ones to kill half a chaff blob and 5 mages, mostly cheap researchers.

"Last stand" as in i was at my cap and under siege for the past 5-6 turns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And? Send the god out to earthquake and run back inside.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Well if i actually knew about the new retreat rules that would have been very handy but here we are.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I never seen the bug get quite this bad.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

amuayse posted:

I never seen the bug get quite this bad.

Quick, research Thaum 8

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

Quick, research Thaum 8

Do you really want to get stuck with the upkeep on 500 starving elephants?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

Do you really want to get stuck with the upkeep on 500 starving elephants?

Only for as long as it takes to throw them at the nearest enemy capital.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why you should take Luck 3 in your game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, you can take Misfortune-2 and be mostly fine-ish, plus 200 design points richer than someone who took Luck 3 and got maybe a turn's worth of gem income in the midgame for it once.

• Locked thread