Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Nilbog Resident posted:

I'm in as Vallisk. Also I'm frightened of the prospect of not having anywhere to sell / bank / buy food and drink.

Buy 2 cloudy potions and 8 stacks of Red Wine. Run to Neriak 3rd gate and turn the wine in 4 at a time to Lokar T'Biath in the Library for guard and merchant faction. Then Neriak will be your home away from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

truavatar posted:

Speaking of being poor, whoever suggested that I hunt wisps in Erud's Crossing and trade in the greater lightstones in NK, thank you! Exp and plat have both been very good. I'm also on asia time right now, so hardly anyone is ever there.
That's so old school, I remember getting that tip and following it back in the year 2000. I'm not sure why one should precisely sell them in NK, though, but I was lead to that too.

A really nice platinum making tip I found on Live is to kill gargoyles in OOT and loot their Gargoyle Eyes; they sell for almost 10p each to a merchant. Alas, old OOT undead island only has about 4-5 of them (found out the hard way on EQMac), but I think it will add up to a nice amount of cash still. They're around level 18-20.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Buy 2 cloudy potions and 8 stacks of Red Wine. Run to Neriak 3rd gate and turn the wine in 4 at a time to Lokar T'Biath in the Library for guard and merchant faction. Then Neriak will be your home away from home.

:aaaaa: I may very well just do that. The XP is good here (well, as good as it can be at a 68% penalty) but I really wanna get out of this rhino hide poo poo. How about gypsies, do they sell to Iksar?

Also ohno is a swell dude, he tracked me down and threw a Noct Blade at my face and then PLd me for a little bit. That thing has a better ratio than my 2HS! Now I just have to keep leveling the drat damage cap away.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

That's so old school, I remember getting that tip and following it back in the year 2000. I'm not sure why one should precisely sell them in NK, though, but I was lead to that too.
You don't sell them, you turn them in via this quest to get items that sell for more than the (greater)lightstones do on their own. There's an "evil" version as well in SRo that's even better as you get free +hits with various dark elf factions with no -hits to anything. Any race/class combo can do either quest afaik as all the quest mobs should be on beta neutral.

Gargs are a great money farm spot at lower levels but they are camped fairly heavily, so be prepared to wait if you make the trip to OOT.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You don't sell them, you turn them in via this quest to get items that sell for more than the (greater)lightstones do on their own. There's an "evil" version as well in SRo that's even better as you get free +hits with various dark elf factions with no -hits to anything. Any race/class combo can do either quest afaik as all the quest mobs should be on beta neutral.

Gargs are a great money farm spot at lower levels but they are camped fairly heavily, so be prepared to wait if you make the trip to OOT.

I also got almost a half a level of XP turning in 12 greater lightstones at lvl 15. Nice little bonus.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

This sounds amazing. I did kill some of the dark elf guards for a time while I was in my 20's though. Am I screwed, or do I just need to get the merchant even more drunk?

Also, is there any command in-game that lets me see my faction modifiers? Or do you just have to keep conning until you change to dubious?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Looking for some advice on how to twink a ranger on an 8k budget.

Right now, I'm wearing banded with a PGT, so obviously there's room for improvement.

To my advantage, I can potentially move a Cloak of Flames and Fungi Tunic onto him if necessary, but I'd like to know what other options are available since I hate transferring gear between toons (they're all scattered throughout Norrath).

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For ranger twinking, I've always been a fan of full Ivy Etched armor. It looks awesome, even if the stats aren't great. :colbert:

On an 8k budget, you could also easily dual wield two Short Swords of Ykesha as well as pimp out all of your jewelry slots with things like Platinum Fire Wedding Rings extra HP and AC.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Looking for some advice on how to twink a ranger on an 8k budget.

Right now, I'm wearing banded with a PGT, so obviously there's room for improvement.

To my advantage, I can potentially move a Cloak of Flames and Fungi Tunic onto him if necessary, but I'd like to know what other options are available since I hate transferring gear between toons (they're all scattered throughout Norrath).

Buy one of those nice, cheap ranger-only 2H weapons like Swarmcaller, Silver Swiftblade, Springwood Stave, or Nature's Wrath. Looks like all of those run less than 500, according to wiki prices.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Feedbacker posted:

Buy one of those nice, cheap ranger-only 2H weapons like Swarmcaller, Silver Swiftblade, Springwood Stave, or Nature's Wrath. Looks like all of those run less than 500, according to wiki prices.

Silver Swiftblade is what Maed went with on his recent twinked Ranger. Maybe he can comment on how well it worked.

I recommended the Short Swords of Ykesha because they have a decent ratio of 0.3 and the Ykesha proc is a 75 damage nuke that conveniently gets around the damage cap at low levels. Kinda like the Wu's Trance Stick for rangers. They slice through low level mobs like butter. The price per sword seems to vary from 600 to 1000 plat, so a set should easily fit the budget.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they didn't proc until 37.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Feedbacker posted:

I thought they didn't proc until 37.

They don't, so they're an okay weapon to use. After that you won't wanna use them because you'll be pulling agro off tanks :p

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Also, as I've said before, unless you're a raid leader or puller, you probably have no idea what kind of poo poo your guild is actually doing when mobs are contested. You either see a mob show up and kill it or you hear about the shady poo poo the other guild did in /gu.

As a former IB/TR, this. Every guild does it. Most don't let their raid forces know.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

iNteg posted:

They don't, so they're an okay weapon to use. After that you won't wanna use them because you'll be pulling agro off tanks :p

Yeah, they'd be ok pre-37 but you could find better one-handers for less money.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Silver Swiftblade is pretty much the awesomest twink weapon 1-20.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, and all these years I thought they worked that way. :smith: (My friend who played a ranger back in Live days told me they did!)

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

khysanth posted:

As a former IB/TR, this. Every guild does it. Most don't let their raid forces know.

Raiding on the server is Frapsquest these days. You want to catch your "competition" doing something naughty on Fraps to get them in trouble. FE/IB got trained themselves by a TMO member with Prot and Juggs at the same Trak that earned our suspension (which was deserved, someone went off rails and trained the crap out of TMO. There is no defense for what was done.) We just didn't have anyone running Fraps.

Raiding on p99 is a cesspool of poo poo flinging and rules lawyering. It's no longer just the Fastest Jav in the West that wins, but also whichever guild has the best camera men. You'd think we could be adults and figure out some kind of agreement or something, but some people like their "competition" (and poo poo talking and rules lawyering) too much for it to come to that.

All raiding guilds are terrible, and I say that as an officer of one.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

For a Ranger, silver swiftblade til 20 then woodsman's staff until epics is the best dps.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm amazed you guys were able to work out a sky rotation.

I like the a-team's approach to the raiding shitfest. Just farm other things and get enough plat to buy it from the guys who think they're top-poo poo for locking down content and depriving others on a loving carebear pve server.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

a loving carebear pve server.
At least its not a carebear loving pve server though, right?

I will nth the Silver Swiftblade/Woodsman Staff recommendation.

Cheap and decent 1HS for epic practice: spined dragon claws/sword of skyfire.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

At least its not a carebear loving pve server though, right?

I agree, I'm glad there is competition on the server. Rotations are boring and large guilds would just splinter, which would leave months long rotation lists for each mob. That or everyone would quit. This isn't a carebear PVE server, it's a competitive one, just lacking a lot of the competition right now.

The whole frapsquest thing is lame, but the GMs seem to like the community in a constant state of rule lawyering. It is basically "fraps or it didn't happen" when dealing with GMs on raid situations.

edit: I do hope to see rotations on old world mobs when Velious comes out. But it's probably going to come down to the mobs loot table. Trak/Sev/VS/Vox/Nagafen/CT/VP mobs will probably still have competition.

ohno fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 18, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ohno posted:

This isn't a carebear PVE server, it's a competitive one

The only "competition" on the BLUE server is between less than 10% of the server population. Possibly less than 5%.

The rest of us are sharing content and getting along without all the shitheadedness.

But thanks for the slanted point of view, ya TMO shill.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

ohno posted:

Rotations are boring and large guilds would just splinter, which would leave months long rotation lists for each mob.

I don't see this as an issue. Waiting several months for a chance to kill a dragon is better than never getting a chance because the same one or two guilds have it locked down. Joining that guild in hopes of getting a chance at the loot would also likely take several months and lots of rear end kissing and probably bribery.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
More rotations would be cool, but the only reason to have a rotation is if multiple guilds still want to consistently go after mobs. Mobs that the top raiders don't care about killing won't need a rotation as they will just largely be left up (already happens with some Kunark dragons, especially Gore, and mobs like Vox, Phinny, Chardok Royals, and planar trash - all mobs that at one point were rarely left up for long). A rotation for epic loot mobs would really be nice though to give people not in the top 2-3 guilds a shot at completing bard/necro/druid/wizard/etc. epics rather than seeing them pop up in the EC tunnel or on alts. VS and Trak especially would be nice to see on rotation. CT and Inny epic drops will eventually be fixed with planar updates sometime after Velious (aka 5 years from now), but they'd also be primo rotation candidates until then.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Don't think you'd ever have a VS rotation. The kunark legs/ gloves of Shinko Tears are too drat good.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

moolchaba posted:

But thanks for the slanted point of view, ya TMO shill.

Most of the server, like you, has a slanted view of TMO. TMO doesn't own any content, the guild just works to get the mobs. I help track, because it helps the guild get there first if something pops. FE/IB do too, and they consistently win raid mobs. I don't understand how other guilds can't target a single mob window (BDA & Taken do sometimes), camp characters out, and have one person hang out on a tracker. But hey, if 95% of the server doesn't want to compete, it makes it easier for the 5% who do.

hayden. posted:

I don't see this as an issue. Waiting several months for a chance to kill a dragon is better than never getting a chance because the same one or two guilds have it locked down. Joining that guild in hopes of getting a chance at the loot would also likely take several months and lots of rear end kissing and probably bribery.

I do see this as an issue because there is no competition involved. EQ is great because it is competitive and there are no instances. First come, first serve, unless there is some sort of agreement made. With slim competition, the raiding guilds don't have a reason to negotiate rotations. Everyone has a choice if they want to compete or not, the fact that 95% choose not to (for whatever their reason) doesn't mean the GMs should enforce raid rotations. Join a guild that competes and you will see content, or create a new guild with that in mind.

I'm glad Rogean leaves it up to the community to decide, because zero competition carebear servers are boring.

ohno fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 18, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ohno posted:

zero competition carebear servers are boring.

Only boring for 5% of the server. The only competition on this server for the rest of us occurs in the arena (hardly ever). And maybe a few price wars in EC.

If FE, IB, TMO, etc were banned for 1 year and we had a rotation, the server would be fine. More than likely, the server pop would soar.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 19, 2013

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

ohno posted:

I do see this as an issue because there is no competition involved. EQ is great because it is competitive and there are no instances. First come, first serve, unless there is some sort of agreement made. With slim competition, the raiding guilds don't have a reason to negotiate rotations. Everyone has a choice if they want to compete or not, the fact that 95% choose not to (for whatever their reason) doesn't mean the GMs should enforce raid rotations. Join a guild that competes and you will see content, or create a new guild with that in mind.

I'm glad Rogean leaves it up to the community to decide, because zero competition carebear servers are boring.

I want to echo this sentiment as I've been rolling with Doljonijarnimorinar shortly after it formed a couple months ago since I found out it was created by a bunch of people I knew on live from Bristlebane and we have started to "compete", which is really just showing up and trying to kill poo poo (Hate, Fear, and 1-4 Islands in Sky lately). We have been getting a lot of hate from the extremely caustic raid community both on the forums and in game which seems to be par for the course there given the hypocrite nature of the louder people and the 4chan mentality of the forums. If you ask them were suppose to be picture perfect and if we wipe we shouldn't even be trying...lol

I personally find it pretty humorous how hard people will rage over the stupidest poo poo and stop at nothing to train you / wipe you out so you don't take what is obviously their precious items by divine right. This kind of poo poo even happens at camps in sebilis like fungus king. While I hate the drama that tends to erupt from this kind of environment I agree 100% that if you don't compete, you wont see poo poo and everyone just walks all over you.

I really appreciate the GMs though, they are super helpful and responsive as well as fair in any dealings I've had with them, which made me decide to setup a monthly recurring donation on the website.

anachron
Jan 23, 2004
I've got a silver swiftblade for whoever that is that needs a weapon. Shoot a tell to Talauma/Hamsa or I'll hand it off to one of the more active players if that doesn't work out.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

moolchaba posted:

If FE, IB, TMO, etc were banned for 1 year and we had a rotation, the server would be fine. More than likely, the server pop would soar.

Pretty much. Everquest is not a competitive video game. Sitting and staring at your computer screen while you click track is not competition, it's just a waste of time. For all the talk of recreating the classic experience, people on this server have really missed the entire point of what made classic EQ great, its community, which unfortunately is extremely lacking post level 50 or so.

Some of this I think can be attributed to RMTing. Here if you lose an engage you're potentially losing hundreds of dollars, which wasn't really a consideration on any kind of major scale in classic.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 19, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Arakan posted:

Pretty much. Everquest is not a competitive video game. Sitting and staring at your computer screen while you click track is not competition, it's just a waste of time. For all the talk of recreating the classic experience, people on this server have really missed the entire point of what made classic EQ great, its community, which unfortunately is extremely lacking post level 50 or so.

Some of this I think can be attributed to RMTing. Here if you lose an engage you're potentially losing hundreds of dollars, which wasn't really a consideration on any kind of major scale in classic.

There are a limited number of worthwhile raid targets, which are on variable timers. When one spawns, it is a race between the guilds who care to kill the raid target. In a race, one guild will win, and the others will lose. The race to the kill is the competition, not the tracking.

I like the community that I'm apart of in P1999, sorry that you aren't. Maybe you should find another guild, possibly one that pursues content? Just an idea.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Here is the latest Trakanon kill. Ignore the Luclin models and any FE/IB slander (it was made by a TMO member).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewCkfhHq8o

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

ohno posted:

Here is the latest Trakanon kill. Ignore the Luclin models and any FE/IB slander (it was made by a TMO member).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewCkfhHq8o

Your last two posts are every reason people hate TMO.

Camping more accounts (you bought) at more targets then waking up at 3 am is some fierce competition!

Stop making GBS threads in this thread with your TMO garbage.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

TouchToneDialing posted:

Your last two posts are every reason people hate TMO.

Camping more accounts (you bought) at more targets then waking up at 3 am is some fierce competition!

Stop making GBS threads in this thread with your TMO garbage.

Hate us or love us, we are part of the server too.

None of my account are bought and I've never attended a 3 am raid!

This thread is full of anti TMO garbage, I'm just here to help the occasional new player out and give an alternate point of view.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ohno, I try to withhold judgment on people that I haven't met before, but your posts seem a little confusing.

You say that you "like the competition" but then also state that there is currently no competition from other guilds with TMO's dominance. So what it seems like you actually like is stomping on others and then laughing about it with your buddies in the poker room later. I personally feel there's a difference between "competition" and "one-sided stomp", but maybe you don't see it that way.

I clicked the ? under your account and read through your post history. You seemed like a really cool dude! Then you joined TMO. You still seemed pretty cool for a bit, but after that your posts slowly turned into Fox News "the poor are poor because they are lazy" republican party-line drivel. You can almost see exactly where the groupthink started to set in.

Here's another fun game I like to play on SA. It's called "argue with the poster by using his own posts!" Here's one of yours:

ohno posted:

Rogean seems to like the server drama. Anytime people talk about rotating mobs, it always goes back to "rise (or stoop) to their level in order to compete". Currently, TMO doesn't want FE to gear up and FE has to gear up to compete with TMO, so the standard grid lock ensues.

You straight up admit that it is all about preventing the possibility of competition. What would your solution be in this case to would-be contenders? What is their path?

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
As someone who is currently leveling, the monopoly on high-end content by TMO, who by all accounts seem to be insufferable pricks, almost makes ya wanna quit. I used to act like that when I was in an Uber guild on live. I was also 15.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Well, I wish there were more people/guilds/alliances pursuing the content to begin with. I do like the competition and wish there were 4 or 5 guilds actively going after the targets. Hopefully Velious will actually open things up a bit and get more people interested in the P1999 raid game, but we've been saying that for years and it seems like a pipe dream at this point. The gear that I mentioned in that old post helps, but it really boils down to people being prepared and response numbers. The only way to succeed is to try, and at this point in the server's life, only TMO/IB/FE really try.

So the would-be contenders path is: Build a guild with decent levels and numbers (or make alliances to fall in this category), camp plenty of higher level characters near a desirable raid target (doesn't have to be one of the instant engage mobs, especially while learning), have them buffed, have someone watching for the raid target to spawn, send an email out to said people when it spawns, log in, have some organization and a plan of attack, and engage/kill the mob. That's the standard strategy for any guild that wants to pursue raid targets on p1999.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Taken goes after/ gets Inny pretty darn regularly these days. I think they camp out in his room to try and get a quick engage and it's worked pretty well. In the past month or two I've also seen Divinity and Taken going after merbs like Sev.

I'd like to see BDA get back into raiding a bit more but I understand why they don't want to participate in the scene as it currently stands.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Funkutron5000 posted:

Taken goes after/ gets Inny pretty darn regularly these days. I think they camp out in his room to try and get a quick engage and it's worked pretty well. In the past month or two I've also seen Divinity and Taken going after merbs like Sev.

I'd like to see BDA get back into raiding a bit more but I understand why they don't want to participate in the scene as it currently stands.

Taken has been doing a great job at locking down Innoruuk. I believe TMOs last Inny was well over a month ago (sucks for our mages!). That's my point, the raid scene might be a mess and the established guilds clearly have the upper hand in terms of refined strategy, gear, and numbers. But when a guild or alliance focuses their efforts on a single target, they generally have success and they gain confidence in their raiding abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ChadBroChill17 posted:

As someone who is currently leveling, the monopoly on high-end content by TMO, who by all accounts seem to be insufferable pricks, almost makes ya wanna quit. I used to act like that when I was in an Uber guild on live. I was also 15.

Well, P99 is great until you get to...

ohno posted:

So the would-be contenders path is: Build a guild with decent levels and numbers (or make alliances to fall in this category), camp plenty of higher level characters near a desirable raid target (doesn't have to be one of the instant engage mobs, especially while learning), have them buffed, have someone watching for the raid target to spawn, send an email out to said people when it spawns, log in, have some organization and a plan of attack, and engage/kill the mob. That's the standard strategy for any guild that wants to pursue raid targets on p1999.

But don't let that get you down. It's a great ride until that becomes "competition". Which is really more about "who can do boring unfun things longer". Then forumquest and frapsquest takes over.

Funkutron5000 posted:

BDA still raids plenty, just has zero interest into what our friend ohno calls "competition". We enjoy a good race, when one presents itself (not often, due to the "camp out your various alts fully buffed" strat), and still raid Sky and other planes regularly too. We've been getting Vox a bit lately too, heh. Not that I play anymore.

• Locked thread