Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I won the lottery I think leaving upper-deckers would be quite high up my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

johnduhart posted:

aka. What are VLANs?

What do you mean by this?

e:autocorrect

sudo rm -rf fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 19, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

Why the gently caress do you need 7 ethernet cables to a server.

I'm also growing disenfranchised with server arms in a 1U server like that. I've got 2 racks of 24 1U servers each, and I think if I had to redo them I'd throw the cable arms in the trash.
I've found that cable management arms are generally not a great idea unless you have an epidemic of stupidity where people forget to remove cables before trying to pull a server out of the rack for maintenance. Being able to hot-swap internal components like memory without removing cables first is a neat idea if you need that functionality for some super-critical system, but in general they get in the way, impede airflow, and limit your number of cabling options.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

I've found that cable management arms are generally not a great idea unless you have an epidemic of stupidity where people forget to remove cables before trying to pull a server out of the rack for maintenance. Being able to hot-swap internal components like memory without removing cables first is a neat idea if you need that functionality for some super-critical system, but in general they get in the way, impede airflow, and limit your number of cabling options.

This

I feel that they were more relevant before virtualization and 1u servers were the norm. With a 4u box, a cable management arm isn't going to block too much airflow. If that box is running something critical and you need to replace a stick of memory, then it would help.

Now a days with 1u boxes packed with 2x8 core CPUs (or more) and a million gigs of memory, that is a lot of heat/airflow being blocked. And with virtualization, throw that server into maintenance mode, unplug your few cables/power cords, and rip her out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Also got told after some talks my salary requirements were "bottom of the barrel for my skill-set", and I need to rethink my salary requirements. Very interesting day of talks with people but hopes are high.

By a friend/colleague, or by your potential new employer? How many times do we have to post that you shouldn't be the one to propose the first salary number? :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Docjowles posted:

By a friend/colleague, or by your potential new employer? How many times do we have to post that you shouldn't be the one to propose the first salary number? :negative:

At this point we have to be getting trolled here.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Moey posted:

Now a days with 1u boxes packed with 2x8 core CPUs (or more) and a million gigs of memory, that is a lot of heat/airflow being blocked. And with virtualization, throw that server into maintenance mode, unplug your few cables/power cords, and rip her out.
Somebody never stood behind a rack full of CS20s or V210s. I feel like new servers are much cooler than the old "dual Alpha, no throttling, make your toast on the grill" boxes.

I will say that I prefer cable management to the "zip tie everything" crowd or ripping out something in RU34, only to have the ethernet cables disappear somewhere in the rats nest at the bottom because your facilities guys thought it was a great idea to use 10m cables from the switch at the top of the rack.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Somebody never stood behind a rack full of CS20s or V210s. I feel like new servers are much cooler than the old "dual Alpha, no throttling, make your toast on the grill" boxes.

I will say that I prefer cable management to the "zip tie everything" crowd or ripping out something in RU34, only to have the ethernet cables disappear somewhere in the rats nest at the bottom because your facilities guys thought it was a great idea to use 10m cables from the switch at the top of the rack.
Cable management arms don't automatically make your cables the right length, they just make the cables need to be longer by the length of the management arm :confused:

And yeah, management arms are usually used as workarounds for bigger problems. They do look cool to visitors in your datacenter, though!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Cable management arms don't automatically make your cables the right length, they just make the cables need to be longer by the length of the management arm :confused:
They don't make them the right length, but they always have velcro, clips, or another mechanism to make sure that ethernet cable doesn't disappear into the mess as soon as you let go of it after unplugging.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We tend to use the arm for bigger boxes. Pizza boxes get velcro straps, and UTPs are tagged at the plug so you can't gently caress up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When I last racked a bunch of pizza boxes, I tried to find some resources on best practices in wiring a rack, and I couldn't really find anything good. I'm a little surprised that there isn't some community around making pretty functional racks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The biggest problem with arms is that you can't send your power down the opposite side to the network, so you end up with a huge bundle of UTP and power down one pillar and nothing on the other side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FISHMANPET posted:

When I last racked a bunch of pizza boxes, I tried to find some resources on best practices in wiring a rack, and I couldn't really find anything good. I'm a little surprised that there isn't some community around making pretty functional racks.

There's just a lot of varied opinions and a lot of different equipment and racks. Thing like location of PDUs or the side the power supply is on the server can have a big influence.

What I found works best for our stuff is switches in the middle of the racks as it keeps the cable length down.

The best thing you can do for cable management? Keep a big inventory of varied length patch cables in varied colors. The biggest reason racks get out of control is you lack the proper cable when something needs to go in "right now!" so you make due.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Server racks are terrible for cable management so we usually go the following route:

Custom length power cords of varying lengths to cure the vendor sending 3M power cable that needs to go 8in to hit the Zero-U Vertical PDUs we put in racks.

Varying length copper / fiber patch cords from 1m to 5m to handle anything in the rack.

Anything leaving the rack goes via overhead cable trays to their destination. All overhead cable trays are cross connected at several points.

Only item that goes under the raised floor is power.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

They don't make them the right length, but they always have velcro, clips, or another mechanism to make sure that ethernet cable doesn't disappear into the mess as soon as you let go of it after unplugging.
If you're not wiring your racks with harnesses pre-cut to the appropriate length, this is a much better investment than cable management arms. I've heard stories of Ethernet cable disappearing into the mess and I just facepalm.

Of course, back when I worked at Cold Spring Harbor Lab, I wish I'd taken some pictures of our first datacenter. The rat's nest of dead cable was so thick there was basically nowhere for the cables to fall.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Had my first performance review from my new boss:

Pros: Glowing review
Approval to build a PC for brushing up on Windows Server and VMs

Cons: Denied the Director title. Again.
Boss came unprepared to tell me about my raise or if I'll get a bonus

This is generally what I expected. I was going to pay for the VM box myself but figured it couldn't hurt to turn it into one of my three goals for the coming year and see if passed muster. The title thing is a continued annoyance and her bullshit reasons for denying it are, well... bullshit. Ah well!

My boss called back to give me my salary numbers: 5% raise (had a 3% raise the first two years) and 10% bonus

I went back and looked at my salary spreadsheet that goes all the way back to 1995. The biggest percentage drop I ever experienced was due to a job change: -23%! Took me about seven years to get that 23% back.

Biggest increase (also due to a job change): 23% :toot:

Biggest increase due to a raise: 20% :stare: (I miss that boss)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If I ever got a bonus this big I would probably poo poo my pants. That is absolutely unheard of.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If I ever got a bonus this big I would probably poo poo my pants. That is absolutely unheard of.

Yeah, that's pretty great. Ours are usually 2-3%

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Reading the investment banking thread is depressing with their 100-200% bonuses. I'm sure they deserve it with their 100 hour weeks and poo poo but still.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

Did anyone else have a tough time going to work today because they didn't win the megamillions?
All of my guys take part in that, but I don't because it's a -EV bet (even if it's actually +EV utility...), so I'm pretty much convinced they're going to win one of these days.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have to console in to an old WatchGuard firewall that only has a male serial port, and I don't have a F-to-F null modem RS232 cable :argh:

Thank goodness for Amazon Prime 1-day shipping I guess.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

No, just shooting the poo poo with one of my friends who is helping me look for a job. I'm NOT falling for dumb poo poo again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm tracking for a 11% bonus this year. Company has done awesome this year, and my review was awesome. Our 'target' bonus is 5% but there are modifiers based on how the company and the person performs. salary * 5% * 150% company perf * 150% personal perf = bonus $$$$

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can get between a 10% and 15% bonus annually where I am now, dependent on the company as a whole hitting certain quarterly revenue targets.

However, I didn't really negotiate my starting salary because I'm dumb, which means I'm thinking about asking for a kind of outlandish raise when times comes. Is that a terrible idea?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just got my bonus - $25 gift card :v: Yay contracting. When I worked in finance it was usually 10 - 15%, I miss those 5 digit bonuses.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector_666 posted:

I can get between a 10% and 15% bonus annually where I am now, dependent on the company as a whole hitting certain quarterly revenue targets.

However, I didn't really negotiate my starting salary because I'm dumb, which means I'm thinking about asking for a kind of outlandish raise when times comes. Is that a terrible idea?

If you don't ask you don't get.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The largest bonus I've ever gotten was $500 right before I deployed. I spent it on bills.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 19, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BurgerQuest posted:

If you don't ask you don't get.

Yeah, but is it a total faux pas to to ask them to double their raise offer?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, but is it a total faux pas to to ask them to double their raise offer?
I asked for my last raise to be changed from $2500/year to $5000/year and got it. I made sure I had details of why I thought it was appropriate and my boss agreed. They gave me 6% when I was promoted to team leader and I thought it should have been 10%, so at my annual I asked them to double the cost of living adjustment to make up for it. I came out about 1% lower than I think I should have but I wasn't going to split hairs at that point.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

johnduhart posted:

aka. What are VLANs?

It's still legit, especially if you're doing any kind of virtualization and only 1gbit drops. Just make sure you have sort of redundancy, 802.3ad, whatever. More bandwidth = better than.

Also, how do you know when your workload is appropriate? There are weeks where I am completely underwater.

I work for a company of maybe 10k employees. I'm _the_ SAP Business Objects admin, _the_ AIX\Power Systems admin(6 frames, maybe 12 lpars), _the_ RightFax admin, the file transfer guy(>300 tasks in MoveIt Central), MoveIt DMZ, _the_ SAML\Federation guy. For AIX, SAP, and SAML I'm literally the only one at the company that does anything remotely administrative. The rest I'm just the lead admin and initially did the build and install.

I'm just completing a BOE XI 3.1 -> 4.0 migration. These things take a lot of time and testing.

My boss threw several mergers at me(smallish, < 100 staff each), where I was the only systems admin representing, each only had a month to complete. I managed to glue poo poo together and migrate some of their apps to our infrastructure...either managing to find installation instructions for their software and building some Citrix servers to run their software from...due to various circumstances a lot of their software remains on their existing infrastructure. End user experience is fine, but, knowing the infrastructure, if I think about it it will keep me up at night.

I was promoted and trained to be an AIX admin. I realize if that's all I did I'd have a lot of free time, unless they actually let me schedule downtimes to do regular patching and maintenance, but it seems like it's kind of getting out of hand.

Eventually it's going to come to a head, when enough people complain it takes me a week to reply to an email. Not sure what's going to happen then. I have a feeling my boss would have me transition app administration to another team that would likely have to hire staff. I'd rather just keep doing it, because it's my comfort zone and where I actually had training.

I've been with the place for over 8 years. Sorry for the vent. I just feel really inadequate, or maybe confused, wondering if I should be able to handle more. I'd say I'm good at what I know, but when given tasks to do outside of what I know, I find myself struggling. Like I was recently called upon to assist with a broken MS SQL Reporting Services migration. I know poo poo about that. What the gently caress. After spinning my wheels for several days and wasting a lot of time, actual DBAs and someone really good with IIS from my team were called in to help who actually had experience and got it working.

If I go to my boss, and tell him what's going on, the reply back is basically, busy is good, we could be not busy and shrinking instead of growing. I get that. But I also don't feel like regularly working way over 40 hours and then having to do research when I'm not at work.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 19, 2013

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Add one for Christmas-time layoffs. :( Got till the end of the week though.

I'm honestly surprised I lasted as long as I did, as the project I've been working on should have ended at the start of the month at the latest, and if I wasn't even brought onto the project, as early as August 23rd. Guess I can thank the bad boss for that much at least.

Now I'm wondering what the next step would be. I have really no idea how the IT market in Maine is. I've been studying for my A+/CCENT on and off for awhile and maybe I should finally go for those while I'm on unemployement. On the experience side of things I got 6 months, from repairing Apple laptops to some basic Cisco switch configuration, as well as a load of database entry. Curious to what I can hope to aim for, from position to possible salary, especially if I were to get one or both of those certs.

I do wanna start college was well, specifically at WGU since I've read a lot of good things about it from these threads. Only worrying thing is I don't think I can actually be accepted until I DO have one or both of those certs, what with my mere 6 months of experience.

Thinking of the future is fun...kinda.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zeratanis posted:

I'm honestly surprised I lasted as long as I did, as the project I've been working on should have ended at the start of the month at the latest, and if I wasn't even brought onto the project, as early as August 23rd. Guess I can thank the bad boss for that much at least.

Now I'm wondering what the next step would be. I have really no idea how the IT market in Maine is. I've been studying for my A+/CCENT on and off for awhile and maybe I should finally go for those while I'm on unemployement. On the experience side of things I got 6 months, from repairing Apple laptops to some basic Cisco switch configuration, as well as a load of database entry. Curious to what I can hope to aim for, from position to possible salary, especially if I were to get one or both of those certs.

I do wanna start college was well, specifically at WGU since I've read a lot of good things about it from these threads. Only worrying thing is I don't think I can actually be accepted until I DO have one or both of those certs, what with my mere 6 months of experience.

Thinking of the future is fun...kinda.
The IT job market in Maine is kind of weird. It's small, like you would expect -- nobody's got huge corporate offices in Maine, for the most part, since most companies looking for a New England presence set up shop between Boston and Worcester. There's some jobs around Portland, but every single one of them seems to be staffed by bad executive recruiting agencies like Robert Half and nothing seems to be a direct hire. Jackson Lab is hiring a few positions up around Bar Harbor if science interests you -- they do some incredible work.

If you're in lower Maine and want to advance in IT, you might consider Portsmouth, NH if you want to stay closer to home. There's a surprising amount of IT positions around there (but still not nearly as many as Worcester).

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Well Unum's largest(and oddly not the main) office is right down the road from my current place, and I got a family friend who works decently high up there as a reference, but I don't think I'll be getting in there any time soon since they tend to look for students to take on as interns. Thankfully though according to said friend they recruit through Cowerx rather than Robert Half. They actually tried nabbbing me when I left the project I was going to be apart of in Connecticut for personal reasons, but more personal things came up (and I read about how loving terrible they are) and cancelled that appointment quick.

But yeah, I live in the Biddeford/Saco area so Bar Harbor isn't an option sadly. Once I finally get my drivers license I think I'll certainly look more South if I can't find anything in Portland(or deal with Robert Half unless there's other options). Still certainly wanna look into school again since being unemployed means I'd have the time for it, and getting that degree would help in the long run.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

Speaking of bonuses I brought mine home today. A Honey Baked Ham. For the third year in a row.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
What?! Bonuses?
We usually just buy our manager and director a gift, and get some chocolate or something small in return. Places that aren't Microsoft give out bonuses in the US?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Places that aren't Microsoft give out bonuses in the US?

My company has given one out every year for the past 5 years.

I really don't know how they arrive at the amount they do, but it's usually around 2.5%-3%

When we get it is another matter, sometimes it arrives in December as an additional deposit, last year it didn't arrive till Feb's pay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We don't get our bonuses until mid march usually. We're publicly traded and bonus is calculated on the fully audited financials of the prior year so we have to wait until they're done

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

One year at the first company I worked for I got a crazy bonus, like 15% of my salary. It was an entry level job so we weren't talking an ENORMOUS amount of money, but still :stare: . Never had it nearly that good since, but some kind of bonus is fairly common I'd say. Gotten anywhere from 1-2% of my salary to $100 (pre-tax, HR literally wrote a paragraph in the Christmas card about how the bonus would be subject to all standard deductions. Thanks, Grinches) to the pair of minor league hockey tickets worth about $20 I mentioned the other day. I honestly have no idea if my current employer does any kind of year-end bonus, guess I'm about to find out.

Vaccuss
Jul 1, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

Hey layoff buddy, I will raise a glass of whiskey for YOTJ luck for you.

Yeah contract expiry came up for me as well. Sorry but we can not afford to keep you yada yada.
Trying to find a job in North Queensland, Australia is painful especially when thanks
to Uni I can not work during office hours for a bit more than 2 months in the next 6 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Huh, never had a bonus. I was pretty sure that was just something in TV shows and movies.

• Locked thread