Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

How can I turn this vegan chocolate pie recipe into a coconut or vanilla pie or something entirely different that won't cost me $10+ in vegan chocolate alone? I want to make a nice dessert that my vegan coworker can eat, because I know no one else I work with will even attempt to accomodate him. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money in ingredients because I don't have a lot of money. So...suggestions?

Why don't you just make an inherently vegan dessert, like a coconut milk rice pudding or something, or some sorbet or whatever. It'll be cheaper and probably taste better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

How can I turn this vegan chocolate pie recipe into a coconut or vanilla pie or something entirely different that won't cost me $10+ in vegan chocolate alone? I want to make a nice dessert that my vegan coworker can eat, because I know no one else I work with will even attempt to accomodate him. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money in ingredients because I don't have a lot of money. So...suggestions?
Try one of these things - most PPK dessert recipes I've tried are good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I work for a pizza place. We often wind up throwing out a good chunk of produce - either for pizza toppings, or salads, or even lemons/limes (since we have a full bar). The boss gives us the option to take home produce if it's headed for the garbage. It's usually given a 5-10 day shelf life, depending what it is - pre-printed by the distributor.

I inherited 5 pounds of sliced red onions and 10 pounds of diced green bell peppers that are past their use-by date, but probably have another 5 days or so of life left in them before they get mushy (they're vacuum sealed).

What are some good ways to use them up? Stir fry and fajitas are already at the top of the list. Chickencheese, obviously, is also an option, as are omelettes for the other people in the house. Mexican and Tex-Mex fare are the household favorites. 3 adults under the roof; the option of making a dish for coworkers for our Christmas party is also available.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 18, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Etouffee

Curry

Anything that uses mirepoix in the recipe

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Oxtail is finally in loving season, whats a quick and dirty Ragu recipe to make with it? It's literally one of my favorite meat cuts.

I just made a kick rear end Beef Shank and Oxtail stew, that is amazing and delicious. I'd like to make maybe a ragu but I've never made it with oxtail before.

Brown trimmed oxtails. Soffrito - carrots, celery stalk, onions, dice coarsely. Sautée. Can of tomatoes. Couple of cloves of garlic in there too. Two or three whole spikes of clove, small stick of cinnamon. Piece of orange rind if you like. You got juniper berries where you live? Few of those, smashed, are good. Bay leaf if you don't. Glass of red or white wine if you have some. Simmer for hours and hours. Check for pepper, salt, shred meat, discard bones, skim fat.

I'd eat the hell out of that with some fresh homemade tagliatelle or pappardelle with some parmesan on top. If you reduce the ragù enough you can even use it as a ravioli filling, which is maybe the best way to have it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bell peppers also freeze well for things where their texture doesn't matter. Gumbo mirepoix or whatever.

Or just make gumbo and jambalaya.

Pickled red onions are awesome, too. Either fridge pickled or salt.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
I want to make quiche for next week's Christmas brunch with my family and impress them all with my skills. I've never made anything closer to quiche than scrambled eggs or apple pie before, so I'm a little lost. Alton Brown, the god of my kitchen, doesn't appear to have a recipe online for it, so I checked the GWS wiki and found a recipe for Quiche Lorraine that looks tasty- but I am both poor and still learning how to cook. Some questions for you goons-

1. Can I omit the creme fraiche and buttermilk called for in favor of cream or half and half or something?
2. Can I get out of using the nutmeg?
3. We lack a good tart pan- can I just use one of those disposable foil ones?
4. We also don't have a food processor or a pastry blender. My parents' house (where I will be making the actual quiche) has a regular blender and an eggbeater, but my boyfriend's bachelor pad, where I will be making the trial run of this recipe, has none of these things. I've successfully made apple pie crust using an empty wine bottle as a rolling pin and just mixing by hand (college :downs:), will this be sufficient?

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Oxtail is finally in loving season, whats a quick and dirty Ragu recipe to make with it? It's literally one of my favorite meat cuts.

I just made a kick rear end Beef Shank and Oxtail stew, that is amazing and delicious. I'd like to make maybe a ragu but I've never made it with oxtail before.

Stupid question: Oxtail has a season?

Sjurygg posted:

Brown trimmed oxtails. Soffrito - carrots, celery stalk, onions, dice coarsely. Sautée. Can of tomatoes. Couple of cloves of garlic in there too. Two or three whole spikes of clove, small stick of cinnamon. Piece of orange rind if you like. You got juniper berries where you live? Few of those, smashed, are good. Bay leaf if you don't. Glass of red or white wine if you have some. Simmer for hours and hours. Check for pepper, salt, shred meat, discard bones, skim fat.

I'd eat the hell out of that with some fresh homemade tagliatelle or pappardelle with some parmesan on top. If you reduce the ragù enough you can even use it as a ravioli filling, which is maybe the best way to have it.

This sounds drat tasty. I haven't ravioli'd in a while and am dying to do it again. I'll have to see if I can find oxtail around my area (Edmonton)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Sea Pancake posted:

I want to make quiche for next week's Christmas brunch with my family and impress them all with my skills. I've never made anything closer to quiche than scrambled eggs or apple pie before, so I'm a little lost. Alton Brown, the god of my kitchen, doesn't appear to have a recipe online for it, so I checked the GWS wiki and found a recipe for Quiche Lorraine that looks tasty- but I am both poor and still learning how to cook. Some questions for you goons-

1. Can I omit the creme fraiche and buttermilk called for in favor of cream or half and half or something?
2. Can I get out of using the nutmeg?
3. We lack a good tart pan- can I just use one of those disposable foil ones?
4. We also don't have a food processor or a pastry blender. My parents' house (where I will be making the actual quiche) has a regular blender and an eggbeater, but my boyfriend's bachelor pad, where I will be making the trial run of this recipe, has none of these things. I've successfully made apple pie crust using an empty wine bottle as a rolling pin and just mixing by hand (college :downs:), will this be sufficient?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. If you can make pie and scramble an egg you are all set.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Meeper posted:

There's something about Manuka smoke generally that just works incredibly well in these applications. We had fresh (as in literally just pulled out of the lake) rainbow trout hot smoked on the beach up in the North Island and with just salt, sugar, and manuka smoke, it was the nicest smoked anything I'd ever had. If you can find Manuka wood or chips to smoke with, that's good, otherwise there's one South Island company that manufactures a Manuka liquid smoke that might be worth investigating.

Hmm yeah I wondered how much effect the manuka might have, or seems to be the real deal for fish & other smokes. Might actually order something off these guys, get my fix, they look pretty cool if pricey : http://www.mikes-smokehouse.co.uk

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm going to do a pulled pork in the oven then finish it off on the grill.

Should I remove the skin on the joint when the meat is raw, then apply the rub, or should I leave the skin on and take it off after the meat is cooked but before I grill it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hollismason posted:

Kare kare. Invite over Filipinos for help.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/05/30/kare-kare-peanut-stew/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going to do a pulled pork in the oven then finish it off on the grill.

Should I remove the skin on the joint when the meat is raw, then apply the rub, or should I leave the skin on and take it off after the meat is cooked but before I grill it?

Why bother grilling it? TBH if you're not actually smoking it then you might as well try this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/ultra-crispy-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Because grilling it gets nice chewy charred bits which I don't think I could get out of the oven. Also I like messing about.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Ayem posted:

Stupid question: Oxtail has a season?

I was wondering about this as well.

And I use them (year-round) to make a sort of half-assed version of Pho. Not authentic or anything, but awesome.
This is the basic recipe I use, but I substitute a lot of poo poo that I don't have around usually (whole anise pods, the traditional toppings, etc.); the main source of its deliciousness is the long slow oxtail cook.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-pho/

I've also never even bothered with the beef knuckle. I bet it makes it even better, but mine is plenty delicious.

edit: Forgot I had an actual question:
I'm making a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner.

1. French or no French? I hate wasting meat so I'm thinking no French. Is there really a good reason to French, other than presentation?

2. Brown then roast or roast then brown? The internet seems pretty divided. I feel like I'll have better control if I sear it first. I was thinking I'd sear it in oil on the stove, but I also have a broiler oven and a charcoal grill.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2013

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

Pissflaps posted:

Because grilling it gets nice chewy charred bits which I don't think I could get out of the oven. Also I like messing about.

You'll get burnt ends just fine if you sear the butt on all sides before throwing it into the oven.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

rkl posted:

You'll get burnt ends just fine if you sear the butt on all sides before throwing it into the oven.

....but should i take the skin off before i apply the rub or after it's been in the oven??

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So...Vegetable Suet alternatives? I am not making a pudding, just a pie and the recipe calls for vegetable suet.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So...Vegetable Suet alternatives? I am not making a pudding, just a pie and the recipe calls for vegetable suet.

Isn't that just vegetable shortening? I'd say try vegetable shortening, but then again I've never used suet in anything so take that for what it's worth.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

Isn't that just vegetable shortening? I'd say try vegetable shortening, but then again I've never used suet in anything so take that for what it's worth.

I have no idea what vegetable suet is, I just learned about when I was looking at a recipe for christmas pie.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have no idea what vegetable suet is, I just learned about when I was looking at a recipe for christmas pie.

This is what it looks like:

It's a hard fat that you mix into your dry ingredients, so I don't think any kind of soft shortening would be a good replacement, unless maybe if you froze it and grated it into your mix?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

This is what it looks like:

It's a hard fat that you mix into your dry ingredients, so I don't think any kind of soft shortening would be a good replacement, unless maybe if you froze it and grated it into your mix?

Man I hope we have that here, cause otherwise I am stumped as to what to use.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Man I hope we have that here, cause otherwise I am stumped as to what to use.

Is it to make mincemeat for inside a pie?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Is it to make mincemeat for inside a pie?

No it's for the crust. They call it a "Hot Water Crust Pastry"
150ml water
115g vegetable suet
330g plain white flour
½ tsp salt

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

No it's for the crust. They call it a "Hot Water Crust Pastry"
150ml water
115g vegetable suet
330g plain white flour
½ tsp salt

Um, that's definitely going to be hard to replace with something else, the suet is an intrinsic thing in that type of pastry as far as I know.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Um, that's definitely going to be hard to replace with something else, the suet is an intrinsic thing in that type of pastry as far as I know.

Well if I can find it, would regular suet work as a replacement? Or should I just scrap that crust and go for something else?

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

Pissflaps posted:

....but should i take the skin off before i apply the rub or after it's been in the oven??

Don't take the skin off. Apply rub liberally, you want that fat to crisp up in the pan when youre searing it, it locks in juices. Sear on all sides, then throw into oven immediately.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Well if I can find it, would regular suet work as a replacement? Or should I just scrap that crust and go for something else?

Absolutely definitely, it's actually better and tastier but people tend to leave it out because saturates.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Did you at least look at that recipe I posted? Look at that amazing crispy skin you should be eating

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Absolutely definitely, it's actually better and tastier but people tend to leave it out because saturates.

They don't even have suet, what should I do now? Just scrap the christmas pie recipe or use a different crust? :negative:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They don't even have suet, what should I do now? Just scrap the christmas pie recipe or use a different crust? :negative:

I'd go with a different crust, like maybe a nice shortcrust?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd just cut in really cold lard.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pookah posted:

I'd go with a different crust, like maybe a nice shortcrust?

Thanks I will think over my options and come back after Christmas with the results.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

this is the best idea, probably turn out better than veg suet anyway.

maybe render some beef fat from marrow or fat trimmings? That will be more authentic probably.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

this is the best idea, probably turn out better than veg suet anyway.

maybe render some beef fat from marrow or fat trimmings? That will be more authentic probably.

Yeah I'll just cut in some lard instead of suet. So For that I can skip boiling the water step of this right?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Try one of these things - most PPK dessert recipes I've tried are good.

These look great, thanks. The chocolate cake might be what I need.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

30% less fat :staredog:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

30% less fat :staredog:

lol remember fat free oil? now with 100% more anal leakage

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Anybody here have recipe for the sauce for Ceasar salad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Guacamayo posted:

Anybody here have recipe for the sauce for Ceasar salad?

step two here has what you're looking for.