Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I assume someone has PMed him already? I can if not, and if we think we should, before someone just up and reports him instead. I'd hate to see him get in poo poo over what's probably an innocent mistake, given how easy it is to get the two threads mixed up.

I unfortunately don't have plat, and there's really no good way to give him the high sign in the thread without calling attention to it. Hopefully he'll see us posting about it in here?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How has this not been posted?

Just noticed this picture and making the Cybermen act more like the Borg feels bizarrely ironic in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fungah! posted:

I unfortunately don't have plat, and there's really no good way to give him the high sign in the thread without calling attention to it. Hopefully he'll see us posting about it in here?

Well, we're at the top of a new page with it now so hopefully Neddy Seagoon will see and fix his spoiler posts in the non-spoiler thread. Everybody over there seems to just be glossing over it, at least, which is nice.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Just noticed this picture and making the Cybermen act more like the Borg feels bizarrely ironic in a lot of ways.

More like making the Cybermen act more like they did in Tomb of the Cybermen...

(Anyways, they already made them act more like the Borg in Nightmare in Silver)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

More like making the Cybermen act more like they did in Tomb of the Cybermen...

Egg all over my face right now, I tell you. At least it's still fairly ironic?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

thexerox123 posted:

A good opportunity to post this

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

As a discerning liker of things, I too anticipate not liking things a lot. I spend hours upon hours in the deepest contemplation of how very much I won't like upcoming things. And then I share my futuredislike with everyone I know because I understand how much they want to share in my anticipatory hatred of the things I like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That leak must be truer and worse than I thought to drag preemptive apologists out of the main thread. Do other spoiler threads get this pessimism shaming when a turd's on the horizon?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

That leak must be truer and worse than I thought to drag preemptive apologists out of the main thread. Do other spoiler threads get this pessimism shaming when a turd's on the horizon?

Other spoiler threads don't exist because the fan base are big babies who can't handle two months of preview news to "go in fresh".

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

moths posted:

Do other spoiler threads get this pessimism shaming when a turd's on the horizon?

You just earnestly used (and possibly created) the phrase "pessimism shaming." Perhaps it's time to step back from the computer and reevaluate what you're doing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Other spoiler threads don't exist because the fan base are big babies who can't handle two months of preview news to "go in fresh".

HAH! I just realized this is true; the only other spoiler thread that exists is for GoT and that's because of book readers who don't give a poo poo since they know the plot in advance.

I am not worried about the Christmas Special for a handful of reasons:

1) Plot synopses always sound loving ridiculous, especially for sci-fi, especially for Doctor Who
2) Matt Smith has been knocking it out of the loving park lately, and with this being his "last" life and taking place over 900 years I think we will get some cool scenes of him changing over the years
3) Capaldi seems awesome and even if the episode is poo poo everyone will forget that when he regenerates and we see his first moments as The Doctor
4) No River
5) We all know in advance that the 12 regeneration limit needs to be addressed eventually and that that particular story arch won't end with The Doctor dying permanently. Doing it now gets it out of the way so we don't have a whole season(s) of "oh no you guys now I seriously can't regenerate". Also, whatever B.S. hand-wavey sci-fi reason they come up with to give him more regenerations is not likely to be satisfying anyway so who cares if it is nano-machines or deus-ex machina or standing in line at the Time Lord equivalent of the DMV to apply for more lives.

I dunno. I guess I just don't see the point in going into something with poo poo expectations, I feel like when you do you go in with the attitude of picking things apart and so of course you won't enjoy it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Guy A. Person posted:

when he regenerates and we see his first moments as The Doctor

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.

Moffat and Coleman have both talked about Capaldi's first scene in interviews, I think, so we should see the man in action.

I'm a bit annoyed the Metacrisis Doctor wasted a regeneration (even if the idea of "wasting a regeneration" is kind of dumb in the first place, since it's a made-up restriction anyway that could be arbitrarily brought into play whenever they liked), but I'm fine with Moffat getting the regeneration limit thing off his chest now rather than leaving Capaldi brood and gloom about it for his whole run. If a stupid mess of a Christmas Special (is there any other kind?) is the price we have to pay for a clean start for Capaldi, I'm all for it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is why we can't go from too much of that synopsis, most of it seems like it's in the special, but, there's too much second-hand, confused information. There is no way a Doctor Who fan who has seen this thing or read a detailed synopsis and is the kind of person who spoils it online doesn't spoil the 11th Doctor's last words and the 12th Doctor's first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

HAH! I just realized this is true; the only other spoiler thread that exists is for GoT and that's because of book readers who don't give a poo poo since they know the plot in advance.

There's also the Walking Dead thread and there was the Dexter and Breaking Bad ones. TWD is also an adapted property though and the BB one never had info that was earlier than 12 hours in advance or so (and I'm pretty sure the Dexter one solely existed because the train wreck of spoilers turned out to be true).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On the other hand, Moffatt has already said that Capaldi makes his debut appearance in the Christmas special and that he apparently leaps around in a post-regeneration madness. gently caress knows how much screen time he'll get, but we'll definitely see him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

he apparently leaps around in a post-regeneration madness

I hope they mean this more in the Matt Smith way and less in the Colin Baker way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vorgen posted:

As a discerning liker of things, I too anticipate not liking things a lot. I spend hours upon hours in the deepest contemplation of how very much I won't like upcoming things. And then I share my futuredislike with everyone I know because I understand how much they want to share in my anticipatory hatred of the things I like.

Try not to get too offended at people spending a couple of minutes of their day making posts in the Doctor Who spoilers thread saying some terrible sounding Doctor Who spoilers sound terrible.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

I hope they mean this more in the Matt Smith way and less in the Colin Baker way.

In post-regeneration madness, the Doctor goes a minute back in time and strangles himself, causing his own regeneration.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

marktheando posted:

Try not to get too offended at people spending a couple of minutes of their day making posts in the Doctor Who spoilers thread saying some terrible sounding Doctor Who spoilers sound terrible.
I think people are more just bored about people complaining about their low expectations based on unverified spoilers rather than offended. I still haven't seen a single explanation as to why the spoilers are inherently terrible, but most criticism amongst fans just tends to be about pointing at things and going "isn't this poo poo?" and assuming everyone agrees with you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

I think people are more just bored about people complaining about their low expectations based on unverified spoilers rather than offended. I still haven't seen a single explanation as to why the spoilers are inherently terrible, but most criticism amongst fans just tends to be about pointing at things and going "isn't this poo poo?" and assuming everyone agrees with you.

Plus there's always the excitement to disappointment of seeing that there are 20 or so new posts and thinking "hey something cool might have been announced!" and then seeing that somebody has just finally gotten around to posting their opinion on how the thing announced/leaked a few weeks ago looks like total poo poo.

I am not saying the thread should be totally dead between announcements but things like speculation or smaller leaks/casting news/rumors are more interesting to read than trash talk.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's a case where if you need to have it explained, you can't understand it.

The positive side is that I'm sure you'll love the episode and I'm happy for you and that!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's BBC America's extended trailer for the special with some new stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlN-SPx1zAg

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Forktoss posted:

Here's BBC America's extended trailer for the special with some new stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlN-SPx1zAg

Getting pretty excited, a week away.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where the hell WAS her family before now? I just assumed they didn't exist.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Forktoss posted:

At 0:37, is that the shot of him opening his door in The God Complex? (Augh, please don't revisit that and ruin it.)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

chachu posted:

At 0:37, is that the shot of him opening his door in The God Complex? (Augh, please don't revisit that and ruin it.)

Yes, that is what it is. I don't know why it's there, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kevos Setzer posted:

Yes, that is what it is. I don't know why it's there, though.

Now that we know he's the final regeneration, maybe that's what he saw? Maybe when he opened that door, he saw 12 dead Doctors instead of 10, and that confirmed what he was afraid of, that he is the last one.

Just a shot in the dark.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just saw American Psycho: The Musical with Matt Smith as Patrick Bateman. Was more than a little disconcerting to be nose-to-nose with the Doctor as he sung electropop while skullfucking a corpse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just saw American Psycho: The Musical with Matt Smith as Patrick Bateman. Was more than a little disconcerting to be nose-to-nose with the Doctor as he sung electropop while skullfucking a corpse.

How was his American accent?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

How was his American accent?

Really good I thought, though I'm terrible at spotting bad accents.

Also FYI Matt Smith is buff as hell now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's great that he's not only finding work, but finding work that's vastly different from the iconic character he played for four seasons. It would be a shame if his excellent performance resulted in him not being able to grow as an actor.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I just hope theres another run on the show because its entirely sold out. Which is a shame, because I've always wanted to see Matt Smith skull loving a corpse while singing to electropop. I mean its on my bucket list.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My friend has been trying every day to get returns for that evening. :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

My friend has been trying every day to get returns for that evening. :(

There was a drat empty seat next to me! I spent ages scoring tickets for this too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There was a drat empty seat next to me! I spent ages scoring tickets for this too.

Maybe the empty seat was supposed to be for some poor chaps wife but she died before the show, did you ever think of that? And he went alone to honor her memory because that's how it's done.

Nah, just kidding. Some loser probably just couldn't find a date.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Paul Allen was sitting next to you.

hemp
Dec 18, 2008
I reckon that mysterious woman in the trailers is going to end up being a young Kovarian. Wait, is Kovarian even dead? The reality she got killed in was that weird 'all history at once' one. Huh.

Also: I've been following these threads for years and oh man goons will bitch about anything. "That's the worst thing I've ever heard, it's going to suck." "It's going to suck." "GODDAMMIT it's going to be just awful and nothing can persuade me otherwise!!!!" Then the episode in question airs and suddenly "Well I thought that was really enjoyable." Every single time.

Watch as Time of the Doctor becomes the best Christmas special we've had in years. :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

hemp posted:

Watch as Time of the Doctor becomes the best Christmas special we've had in years. :allears:

To be fair on me I often find something even shittier than I anticipated - I'm sure Time of the Doctor will be no different.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I don't think they'll let me and my friend share a seat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

hemp posted:

Also: I've been following these threads for years and oh man goons will bitch about anything. "That's the worst thing I've ever heard, it's going to suck." "It's going to suck." "GODDAMMIT it's going to be just awful and nothing can persuade me otherwise!!!!" Then the episode in question airs and suddenly "Well I thought that was really enjoyable." Every single time.
Just wait until Capaldi appears and you get a whole load of people complaining that he isn't what they imagined and that they are not convinced with him. And then they'll promptly shut up when he gets a full episode. I remember a lot of people who absolutely knew that Smith was going to just be a copy of Tennant except he says "geronimo" every thirty seconds, and uh...

• Locked thread