Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Got it working. All fears were assuaged as soon as Davesprite breaks the fourth wall and explains the game mechanics the first time you speak to him. Because he's a game sprite, you see.

I think to really enjoy this kind of thing, you've got to transcend many layers of irony back up to sincerity again. It's definitely something befitting the Strider household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the entire game summed up in one image

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kelp Plankton posted:

oh my gosh that's amazing

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Okay. I want all of you unsure about this game to look at that image.

just look at it.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I know most of you are probably initially interested in this for the Homestuck characters, but to be honest the Namco ones are more compelling to me. What a depressing crew of teen videogame misfits.

This is honestly Namco-Bandai Presents: The Breakfast Club, An Andrew Hussie Film.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm liking Namco High, and there's a lot of breadth (eighteen characters!) but it's a little short. It kinda makes sense that it is because, as stated, there are eighteen characters and they each have their own path, so that's a lot of content if you add it all up, but it can make each individual path feel a little perfunctory at the end.

So far I've done Taira, Aki, the Galaga ship, Davesprite, and Jane. Of those Davesprite's is probably the best; it loops around through sheer silliness to being genuinely touching in true Homestuck style, and it's also really funny. After that I'd probably rank them Taira, Aki, Galaga, Jane.

Jane's path is a bit disappointing and feels flat, her characterisation is mostly centred around her central (fairly boring) conflict of not believing all the crazy video game stuff around her is real, which they obviously pulled from early Act 6. The others I've played are uniformly funny and generally enjoyable, Taira in particular was kind of a dark horse on being hilarious and weirdly sweet. I'd really have liked just one more segment after the third bit, though, because all the paths except Davesprite's share a similar feeling of being cut off very quickly, and Davesprite's only doesn't because his plot involves lampshading how uniformly the game progresses.

What would also have been cool would have been some choices unrelated to who you pick, or dialogue choices beyond just do/don't hang out with this person. It's still fun though on the whole and has a lot of really funny dialogue in it!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Jane's path seemed really flat to me too. I think the only time I found it actually interesting was when Cousin and Jane both die during the battle with Evil Namco High, Jane is resurrected as a god tier, and the end art is god tier Jane and Cousin (cousin ascending to Heir of Heart).

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Evil Namco High

I thought you were making a joke, but I googled this on a whim and it's real.

:/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrBims posted:

I thought you were making a joke, but I googled this on a whim and it's real.

:/

If you've got a problem with this development then you and me are gonna have to take it to the roof, bub

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Jane's path seemed really flat to me too. I think the only time I found it actually interesting was when Cousin and Jane both die during the battle with Evil Namco High, Jane is resurrected as a god tier, and the end art is god tier Jane and Cousin (cousin ascending to Heir of Heart).

I've not played hardly any of this, but I'm having a hard time imagining how something that involves those spoilers ends up being 'flat'.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If only they did new/original art and spriting for this game like they did for Cousin. Then it'd be pretty cool, but as it is right now it really does remind me of a lovely Newgrounds game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

If only they did new/original art and spriting for this game like they did for Cousin. Then it'd be pretty cool, but as it is right now it really does remind me of a lovely Newgrounds game.

All of the art in this thing is new/original (except for Galaga, which is perfect just the way it is). A whole gaggle of webcomic artists were commissioned for the portraits.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

All of the art in this thing is new/original (except for Galaga, which is perfect just the way it is). A whole gaggle of webcomic artists were commissioned for the portraits.

Ohh. I thought they were all just ripped from their source games or something. They still don't really mesh with Cousin's sheet.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This is especially true with Mr. Driller. He just doesn't mesh with any of the other graphics at all. It's really jarring.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I personally would have preferred it if they standardized the art.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Pollyanna posted:

Ohh. I thought they were all just ripped from their source games or something. They still don't really mesh with Cousin's sheet.

Yeah, the point was to use differing art styles to emphasize the differences in their origins.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I personally would have preferred it if they standardized the art.

I think if whoever was in charge of this thing cared about what people personally preferred then they would've just set Namco's offices on fire.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
How are the Valkyrie and Blue Max paths? :) Is there remixed music from the original series?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I decided to try to sign up for Namco High, even though it doesn't look good, and wow. Random Japanese on the signup site, it refuses to aknowledge Norway in the region selection (I had to lie and pick the US) and some really annoying captchas.

Then I get the confirmation email, which is also in Japanese.

The game isn't even very good. It looks like somebody's first-time Ren'Py project, and the writing is uninspired at best.

e: It's even loaded with spelling errors!

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 18, 2013

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

How are the Valkyrie and Blue Max paths? :) Is there remixed music from the original series?

Sadly, there's no music remixes. Blue Max is kind of eccentric and his arc is more about him being wacky, so not that great. Aside from Max being in Millitary History Club, there's nothing tying him to the Skykid game or comic. Valkyrie's arc is an actual dating arc, which feels out of place for this game, somehow. It seems to fit with her character though, and isn't bad.

Val's arc is free, so she's worth checking out. You have to pay for Max but he's not really interesting enough to buy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zebia posted:

I completely forgot voices were a thing with the game. What do you mean by different?

Not literal auditory voice, but the way that GC's lines are written in the first few conversations.

For example.

quote:

GC: H3Y L4LOND3
GC: STOP CRY1NG 1N YOUR MOMS B3V3R4G3
GC: SH3 H4T3S YOU 4ND H4S L3FT YOU FOR3V3R
GC: H3H3H3H >8D

quote:

TT: Still not sure if I'm being courted or trolled here.
GC: 1M GO1NG TO GO W1TH TH3 LATT3R
GC: 1 H4T3 YOU 4LL QU1T3 4 LOT

It's odd, and doesn't really fit the way she writes later on. (Though I think I was wrong about Hussie not having decided her gender yet - I forgot how soon after WHY WOULD YOU L4UGH 4T 4 BL1ND G1RL was.)

Really, everything about her early hostility is a little bit off. It doesn't really mesh with what we learn about her character later in 5.1, or how she acts when we see the trolls first discovering the humans in 5.2...

Not an actual continuity error or anything, just the character not being fully developed yet by A.H., I think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Not literal auditory voice, but the way that GC's lines are written in the first few conversations.

For example.

It's odd, and doesn't really fit the way she writes later on. (Though I think I was wrong about Hussie not having decided her gender yet - I forgot how soon after WHY WOULD YOU L4UGH 4T 4 BL1ND G1RL was.)

Really, everything about her early hostility is a little bit off. It doesn't really mesh with what we learn about her character later in 5.1, or how she acts when we see the trolls first discovering the humans in 5.2...

Not an actual continuity error or anything, just the character not being fully developed yet by A.H., I think.

Well, it comes out later that Terezi is being so hostile in those conversations because she's going along with Karkat's plan to troll the humans. She doesn't actually bear them any real ill will, she's just having fun with it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I've not played hardly any of this, but I'm having a hard time imagining how something that involves those spoilers ends up being 'flat'.

It's because, as mentioned before, Jane's arc revolves almost entirely around the fact that she refuses to believe anything is non-human or supernatural at Namco High- for example, she tries to pull Terezi's horns off to prove her point, and when she can't says it must be because they're attached to her full-grey bodysuit. Repeat this, but with every other 'weird' thing about any of the other characters, even going so far as to refuse to believe Cousin isn't human. The end of it was literally the only interesting part.

e: this is a nice touch I think.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 18, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

As people said above the art was done by a bunch of webcomic artists which is why the styles clash so much. If your only Namco games ever played are like Pacman and Galaga it would make sense coming to this conclusion. Mr. Driller has a few poses that look totally traced and I'd be surprised if he was the only one.

Do they ever address Mr. Driller and Dig Dug's real names after the intro or is it like with Galaga where since it's old that is its name?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Haven't tried the game, but I recall Mr. Driller was gonna be drawn by Gigi digi?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pollyanna posted:

FYI: Valkyrie's original sprite looks 100% unlike Darwin Watterson.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

See I read that as Bill Watterson and got unnecessarily excited.

It's early for me :shobon:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
No lie, this game would be funnier if Calvin and Hobbes were involved somehow. Best we could hope to get is a reference, but that get some laughs in the right context.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Pollyanna posted:

You see Homestuck is totally a game now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

legendsuper posted:

You see Homestuck is totally a game now.

Theres been like a half dozen Homestuck flash games.

Checkmate:smugbert:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

They released LOFAM3. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but the stuff I've listened to is good.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Akett posted:

They released LOFAM3. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but the stuff I've listened to is good.

Well, Theme of the Slam Jam is the best Homestuck song ever made. Music over, Catboss wins.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What are you talking about, the best song on the album is clearly Warweary villein, a theme song for our glorious Mayor! :allears:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I really really want to like Infidels! because Iron Infidel is one of my favorite songs released, and the concept of a rock version of it is amazing, but the loving ragtime section in the middle is just so...out of place. It totally ruins the flow of the song and is just...there. Like, why did they bother putting it in in the first place other than that the songwriter really wanted to write a little rag piece but couldn't make a whole song out of it so they just threw it in for no reason?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zutaten posted:

Well, Theme of the Slam Jam is the best Homestuck song ever made. Music over, Catboss wins.

I don't even like any of those tracks :allears:

(with the exception of Unite Synchronization)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Angry Walrus posted:

So after doing the Galaga route like any sane person would rush, I decided to go the Davesprite route and holy poo poo is he just oversimplified to "very vocally hates himself and just needs someone to tell him everything's ok," so, uh, good job Namco High team on making sure he'll be even more a hit with the Tumblr crowd?

This may come as a shock, but…

Tumblr posted:

DO NOT PLAY NAMCO HIGH

DO NOT PICK DAVESPRITE

BECAUSE HE KNOWS

HE KNOWS HE ISN’T REAL AND HE KNOWS AFTER THE GAME IS DONE HE’LL JUST RESET AND HE’LL BE JUST AS LONELY AS BEFORE

WAS THIS REALLY NECESSARY

WAS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO MAKE A CHARACTER WHO KNEW HE WASN’T REAL AND WAS PROGRAMMED TO FEEL LIKE poo poo AND TO KNOW THAT IN THE END HE’D JUST DISAPPEAR OR GO BACK AROUND IN A CONSTANT LOOP OF DENIAL AND LIES AND SHORT BLOCKS OF DIALOGUE AND BIRDSEED

this really hurts.

You were totally right!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zutaten posted:

I wish I could empty quote this forever.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Statistically, you'll feel quite different about it once you finish catching up. Or maybe you won't, as an archival reader.

I actually do enjoy it. It's no masterpiece, and its pacing is poo poo (archives reading <3) but it's a really unique/interesting story.

Is there anyway to play Namco High without buying it? In that I want to test it out.

(also the red sun in the cherubs world was earth's sun right? That's why all the lovely statue of liberty jpg's were there?)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Six of the characters are free. I don't know which ones except not the Homestucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Is there anyway to play Namco High without buying it? In that I want to test it out.

The GALAGA route is free, and that's really the only one that matters.