Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The Final Cut because of the incredible amount of love they put into it.

For example, there was a short scene where the dialogue didn't match up with Harrison Ford's lip movements because they changed the line with ADR. So they brought in Harrison Ford's son just so they could film him doing a reading of the line they changed. They then super imposed his mouth onto his dad's face in that one short scene so that everything now matches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

echoplex posted:

Final Cut for any number of reasons, but mainly so that you can see a film that looks as good as it is possible for a film to look. The treatment on that version is just beyond words.

Yeah I kinda prefer the Director's Cut as a movie but the Final Cut is definitely the best looking version.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I kinda prefer the Director's Cut as a movie but the Final Cut is definitely the best looking version.

Same here.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

For Mallrats is the theatrical or extended version recommended?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zogo posted:

For Mallrats is the theatrical or extended version recommended?

Theatrical is better, but I'd really recommend watching Chasing Amy instead.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Theatrical is better, but I'd really recommend watching Chasing Amy instead.

I was planning on watching those two along with Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back for completionism.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The extended edition of Mallrats didn't come out until 10 years later and most fans of that movies saw it became fans before then.

It's interesting mainly because Kevin Smith talked about it a lot and it was nice to see it finally.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Most of the stuff it adds is pretty bad though.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah the extended version really just exists an interesting curiosity. There's a gag or 2 that are funny but it's mostly pretty lame.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

wrong thread

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 15, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure even Kevin Smith thinks the theatrical is better, but I think the extended edition is the one with the commentary, which is interesting if only to hear Kevin Smith take the piss out of his own movie. A very different portrait of the director than the thin skinned drama queen we get nowadays.

I had a friend in high school who loved Mallrats, and had only seen the television edit, which is up there with Die Hard 2 in terms of bizarre over-dubbing.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
"Skinned Drama Queen"? What makes you say that? There's a good possibility I'm just out of the loop but I thought he had started to find a comfortable niche as "Kevin Smith: Guy who talks about stuff."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ninja Gamer posted:

"Skinned Drama Queen"? What makes you say that? There's a good possibility I'm just out of the loop but I thought he had started to find a comfortable niche as "Kevin Smith: Guy who talks about stuff."

Thin-skinned, like he doesn't take criticism very well. Nobody is accusing Kevin Smith of not actually having skin. Or being thin, for that matter.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Before you could do all editing on computers, how did you produce something like a fade cut?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DerLeo posted:

Before you could do all editing on computers, how did you produce something like a fade cut?
These things.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ninja Gamer posted:

He's now mainly Kevin Smith: Man who can't take criticism and loves to talk about his sex habits. He's making a comfortable living off it though, I'm just curious to see what happens when his audience dries up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While a lot of fades and dissolves were built into negatives from an optical printer, a lot of these functions were created when actually making the prints.

Most films shot on large format (65mm, VistaVision) had all fades and dissolves via A/B negatives. Basically, shots would alternate from reel to reel with black leader replacing a shot except where it would overlap. This way, there's no generation loss.

The opening scene of E.T. has a lot of long dissolves that were all printed directly to each 35mm print from the original negatives. The Godfather was also assembled this way. Most 16mm was also handled this way, which is why you generally see restoration notes indicating A/B negatives being used if it's 16mm.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Thin-skinned, like he doesn't take criticism very well. Nobody is accusing Kevin Smith of not actually having skin. Or being thin, for that matter.

Hmmm... I don't know how I missed the word "thin" but now that post makes a little more sense. Still don't really think of him as a drama queen but, again, I'm probably just not paying enough attention.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ninja Gamer posted:

Hmmm... I don't know how I missed the word "thin" but now that post makes a little more sense. Still don't really think of him as a drama queen but, again, I'm probably just not paying enough attention.

There was the time he had a hissy fit when he had to pay for two airplane tickets and the whole Red State stunt.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I don't think it's fair to go after him for the plane thing. The company embarrassed him in public and he lashed out. Small potatoes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hibernator posted:

I don't think it's fair to go after him for the plane thing. The company embarrassed him in public and he lashed out. Small potatoes.

I have a pretty great idea on how the whole issue can be avoided in the future if he's interested.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There was the time he had a hissy fit when he had to pay for two airplane tickets and the whole Red State stunt.

I swear I'm the only person in the world who actually thought Red State was okay and thought it was critical of everything I expected it to be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

I swear I'm the only person in the world who actually thought Red State was okay and thought it was critical of everything I expected it to be.

I am not talking about the movie itself. I am talking about him throwing a hissy fit after Cop out got bad reviews and then him saying that he was going to auction off Red State then decided he would do it himself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not talking about the movie itself. I am talking about him throwing a hissy fit after Cop out got bad reviews and then him saying that he was going to auction off Red State then decided he would do it himself.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. gently caress Kevin Smith.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
NueroticErotica got blocked by him on Twitter for earnestly asking who the protagonist of Red State was.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Friedpundit posted:

NueroticErotica got blocked by him on Twitter for earnestly asking who the protagonist of Red State was.

That's really funny. Although it's really obvious that the Red State itself is the protagonist. The movie is literally about the two sides of the conservative agenda clashing violently with america's youth caught in the middle.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
I'm trying to locate an opening title clip from a certain Japanese or Chinese production company

Its a shot of some waves crashing on rocks, and the title itself I think is a big white triangle with two japanese or chinese characters in it

Someone suggested they might have seen it on some early Jackie Chan stuff, possibly Drunken Master or Project A, but I don't have a copy of either to check. I was thinking it might have been on a big-budget anime release like Akira or Evangelion but I can't be sure

Any ideas?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

maxe posted:

Any ideas?
Toei.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yep, that is indisputably a description of the Toei production logo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz-bLMhEHvo

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
yes!

thanks

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Snak posted:

That's really funny. Although it's really obvious that the Red State itself is the protagonist. The movie is literally about the two sides of the conservative agenda clashing violently with america's youth caught in the middle.

I honestly don't believe that much thought was put into it.

You have to remember this is a film that's ending is the main conflict stopping, then cutting to somebody telling a story about some stuff that happened off screen.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
No Country for Old Men? :rimshot:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

NeuroticErotica posted:

I honestly don't believe that much thought was put into it.

You have to remember this is a film that's ending is the main conflict stopping, then cutting to somebody telling a story about some stuff that happened off screen.

It's not like it's subtle or deep. It's ultra-conservative church nuts verses post-9/11 over-zealous militaristic law enforcement. It definitely has it's flaws, but I thought that the cinematography especially worked very well for the movie. It maintained a sensation of tension, fear, and claustrophobia while inside the compound, and a constant sense of foreboding while following the law enforcement. Yeah it's got some dumb gimmicks in it, and the ending rubbed me the wrong way as well, but in general I found it to be a competently made, effective film.

I haven't considered myself a supported of Kevin Smith for many years. He had a decent amount of natural talent, and a pretty good sense of humor. Instead of striving to hone his skills and improve, he just road out his success and catered to the fans he already had, becoming increasingly more juvenile as he tried to validate the praised heaped on him by a dwindling few. Red State was a decent effort to break (somewhat) from his usual shtick, and if it he had made it ten years earlier than he did, it might have been a good sign of things to come.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think Smith was just crippled by the idea of doing something different and failing, so just went back to the well convinced that it was all he was good at. If he'd made more films like 'Chasing Amy' than 'Clerks' then things might've been different. I'm easier on 'Red State' than a lot of people are, but it still has its fair few problems. But there's stuff I definitely like. I thought Smith handled the violence really well, with his matter-of-fact approach to it selling it really well. And though I think Michael Park's speech in the middle goes on for far too long, I do like how Smith slowly reveals what's in the room.

Honestly I think 'Red State' would've benefited from another draft and a proper editor for once. He edited 'Clerks' out of necessity, but there's no reason he's had to do it himself since.

His whole stunt at Sundance or wherever it was about the rights to 'Red State' soured me the most. His sentiment wasn't all that bad, but he played it to the wrong room. There were small distribution folks there, people like Alamo Drafthouse who I think had only released 'Four Lions' at that point, and they have to listen to Smith lecturing them on what horrible people they are and how awesome he's going to be. You think Fox Searchlight and those folks really gave a poo poo? Companies like that had people bidding on rights everywhere, small independent companies didn't, and lost out to listen to Smith lecture them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And hasn't he said he's doing Clerks 3?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Yes. He's written it and Stan Lee has a part in it.

If Clerks was about getting out there and making movies... and Clerks 2 to was about realizing he was happy living his life and making mediocre movies, I wonder what will happen with Randal and Dante in Clerks 3 that would be a metaphor for transitioning to podcasts and live shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ninja Gamer posted:

Yes. He's written it and Stan Lee has a part in it.

If Clerks was about getting out there and making movies... and Clerks 2 to was about realizing he was happy living his life and making mediocre movies, I wonder what will happen with Randal and Dante in Clerks 3 that would be a metaphor for transitioning to podcasts and live shows.

Dante will realize that the things he learned in the events of the first two films make him good at giving life advice, and learn that his real talent is helping the people who come into his store with the problems in their lives.

edit: It will include a "self-aware" scene where Dante tells Silent Bob to stop hiding behind his shtick grow up.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Could anyone recommend some movies besides "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Juwanna Mann" that explore Trans* issues?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Narciss posted:

Could anyone recommend some movies besides "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Juwanna Mann" that explore Trans* issues?

Transamerica and Albert Nobbs are recent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

White Chicks.