Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Inspector_666 posted:

There are at least two other History majors where I work. I actually put a bit in my cover letter about how it was heartening to see on their "People" page.

History major #4 checking in :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dennyk posted:

In our weekly meeting this week our boss told those of us on going on vacation to remember to check our email at least three times a day. Guess it's a shame I won't have a computer or Internet access and my phone doesn't have my work email on it... :v:

If you are working on your vacation, its no longer a vacation day. I refuse to let anyone try to convince me otherwise. The people who bend on this gently caress themselves and the next guy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Dell business class computers and Lenovo's, in my experience, tend to be fairly rock solid. Lenovo though seems to have better support. Mostly they don't make me jump through hoops when I need warranty work or a replacement part.

We're a Dell shop and I'm a huge fan of their support. If you explain what you've done to troubleshoot hardware on a workstation they'll do a lot to work with you. For printers they hardly even ask questions before sending out a refurb.

edit: grammar

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 18, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
People still use Dell printers? Dell still makes printers?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell still buys printers from Lexmark and slaps their brand name on them before shipping them out, yes.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Having to deal with printer hardware from time to time, we have a handful of Dell 5100 color laser printers, and the great thing about them is that you can change most parts with zero tools in less than 60 seconds. Transfer rollers, fusers, etc.

Conversely, It took me almost all goddamned day yesterday to change the fuser in a HP 1320.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Dell still buys printers from Lexmark and slaps their brand name on them before shipping them out, yes.

We buy from them mostly for the support. Generally speaking all we have to deal with are consumables and initial troubleshooting. If there's a major issue they'll have a replacement or tech out within two days or so.

That being said we're pushing people toward bizhubs because then we don't even have to do that much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nerdrock posted:

Conversely, It took me almost all goddamned day yesterday to change the fuser in a HP 1320.

There is no chance that thing is worth your daily rate (plus the part cost, and the loss from you not being able to do anything else whilst changing the fuser). I had quite a lot of success at my last gig declaring things uneconomical to fix and chucking them out.

Re: Dell printers, some of their small all-in-ones are rebadged Samsungs, do they take the same toners as the Samsung models or are you limited to buying supplies through Dell?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Caged posted:

There is no chance that thing is worth your daily rate (plus the part cost, and the loss from you not being able to do anything else whilst changing the fuser). I had quite a lot of success at my last gig declaring things uneconomical to fix and chucking them out.

Re: Dell printers, some of their small all-in-ones are rebadged Samsungs, do they take the same toners as the Samsung models or are you limited to buying supplies through Dell?

Oh you're definitely right. We had one fuser kicking around, and I was kind of stalled with something I had going on waiting for someone else, so I just... did it.

The only Dells we have are the 5100cn, which is a rebadged Xerox Phaser 6300. We haven't even bothered to try to order anything but the official Dell toner.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fair enough, it can be quite relaxing to take a screwdriver to stuff after dealing with software for so long.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inspector_666 posted:

There are at least two other History majors where I work. I actually put a bit in my cover letter about how it was heartening to see on their "People" page.

History major #5 here. Do I get bonus points for being a licensed secondary Social Studies educator in my state?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Another vote for Dell. I find that they have less (and less difficult to remove) bloatware than Lenovo, too. I've also had bad experiences with Lenovo's customer service, and none with Dell's; then again, maybe it says something that we have 22 Dell computers and 2 Lenovos, and the Lenovos are the ones I've had to call customer service about.

Also, what's with all the history majors? Where are the rest of the Political Science majors? :-(

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Another vote for Dell. I find that they have less (and less difficult to remove) bloatware than Lenovo, too. I've also had bad experiences with Lenovo's customer service, and none with Dell's; then again, maybe it says something that we have 22 Dell computers and 2 Lenovos, and the Lenovos are the ones I've had to call customer service about.

Also, what's with all the history majors? Where are the rest of the Political Science majors? :-(

:hi5: fellow poli sci IT worker!

The only reason I'm not resentful over having spent 4 years and a lot of money on a useless degree is that everyone I know in IT who does't have one is struggling hard to fit classes into their schedule because of HR jerkiness at requiring (or strongly preferring) a four-year degree.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanatosian posted:

My area of concentration was the Middle East, so I dabbled a good bit in the political science-y/international relations side of things.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Nerdrock posted:

Having to deal with printer hardware from time to time, we have a handful of Dell 5100 color laser printers, and the great thing about them is that you can change most parts with zero tools in less than 60 seconds. Transfer rollers, fusers, etc.
Dell is pretty good about making their machines as easy as possible to work in. At least for business computers you can take out everything except the motherboard with no tools pretty quick, even in their smallest form factors. I remember when taking a hard drive out could take 10 minutes trying to unscrew everything, then crawling around trying to find the screw I dropped. In a Dell I can switch out a hard drive in under a minute. Their support is great too, they don't make you redo anything you say you've already done.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

All of our desktops are Dells and our laptops are a mix of Dell, Lenovo, and Asus. Dell's customer service/support with us has been pretty piss poor lately but our older Vostro 3550s and Precisions are absolutely great if you need to do any hardware work on. We have some N5050s (consumer grade but they were on the cheap which is what matters here) which are an absolute nightmare to work on and have been nothing but a huge headache.

The Lenovo laptops never give us any trouble. I didn't even know we had deployed some until a teacher brought one in for us to hold on to it over the summer. The Asus ones have been nothing but trouble since the day we got them in; they were a giant mistake.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Another vote for Dell. I find that they have less (and less difficult to remove) bloatware than Lenovo, too.

That's my experience with Lenovo too. gently caress all those lenovo apps they throw on every machine, trying to remove them always ends up with all sorts of weird poo poo happening.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Look at all these scrubs who don't flatten and reinstall every new computer that comes through the door.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

Look at all these scrubs who don't flatten and reinstall every new computer that comes through the door.

This. Old place was strictly Lenovo. All new machines with PXE boot and WDS would work it's magic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell are great, just buy Optiplex and above. Even without anything fancier than their standard support offering you could open a chat and say "I think the hard drive is dead, the OS doesn't boot, the BIOS complains about a hard drive error, and if I swap the drive everything works" and the next reply is confirming your address for a replacement.

They also changed from wanting to collect the busted parts at the same time as giving you a new one to letting you arrange the collection for the faulty part separately, so you don't need to be around when the UPS man arrives.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Moey posted:

This. Old place was strictly Lenovo. All new machines with PXE boot and WDS would work it's magic.

Speaking of which, this is another thing that is pretty good about recent Dells. You can grab the driver package in CAB format (From Here) which makes it incredibly easy to import into MDT.

I think someone else posted that link in the old thread. I can't remember whom, but Thank You, whomever you are. It's been incredibly helpful.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
English major with poli sci concentration, master's in library science, of course I do IT for a living!

Seriously, Lenovos have the best hardware I've worked with. I've seen them eat abuse that no machine should take and come out functional enough to do data recovery. Can't ask for better than that. (I have worked for some places with users who were absolute chimpanzees about loving up their poo poo.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanatosian posted:

Education major, here. My intention was to teach the next generation of poli-sci majors how to successfully switch careers :).

And now that I have done it myself, I'm even more qualified. Just less inclined to do so.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
uh... high school diploma with a cert or two? :smith:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

ConfusedUs posted:

Education major, here. My intention was to teach the next generation of poli-sci majors how to successfully switch careers :).

And now that I have done it myself, I'm even more qualified. Just less inclined to do so.

Justice Studies, here. I'd planned to become a lawyer, then I read an article about a kid from a much better school than I would have gotten into who ended up recycling cans as his primary source of income a year out of law school, and decided to stick with IT. So I grabbed my CCNA and off I went. I think maybe 1 in 10 guys I have met in IT have IT related degrees.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
IT trade school with a few certs. Still stuck on helldesk :smith:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blackswordca posted:

uh... high school diploma with a cert or two? :smith:

This is me. And that one cert I have is a lovely old A+ from 1998.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Coincidentally, my best friend was going to be a history teacher until grad school, when he learned he hated children. Years later he's re-enrolled in our local community college on his way to a CIS degree. I tried to talk him out of it, but it's currently better than what he does (deliver pizzas). Me : I'm rocking a 2 year "independent math and science" degree.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nerdrock posted:

Coincidentally, my best friend was going to be a history teacher until grad school, when he learned he hated children. Years later he's re-enrolled in our local community college on his way to a CIS degree. I tried to talk him out of it, but it's currently better than what he does (deliver pizzas). Me : I'm rocking a 2 year "independent math and science" degree.

I'm actually a student who gets his history degree in ~6 months (currently rocking a high-school diploma and zero non-expired certs!) so I can hopefully leave IT and go teach :negative:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

How does licensing work out in that scenario? I only bothered with imaging and sysprep once back around when XP was first released. (Setup a machine, sysprepped it, then copied the image to other machines. When booted each machine asked for the OEM key on the sticker and then booted to the desktop)

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 18, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

stevewm posted:

How does licensing work out in that scenario? I only bothered with imaging and sysprep once back around when XP was first released. (Setup a machine, sysprepped it, then copied the image to other machines. When booted each machine asked for the OEM key on the sticker and then booted to the desktop)

I have it setup to use a KMS for stationary units and MAK activation for notebooks. Its a government board so we have something like 8000 activations for our board alone. We have 74 users right now I think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a VL then you run a KMS server which handles it all for you. No idea how it works with OEM licensing, don't OEMs have generic keys that will get the OS installed that differ from the ones on the sticker?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen now you need to have a VLK/MAK key, which means buying OS licenses for computers that already come with OS licenses....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jedi425 posted:

I think maybe 1 in 10 guys I have met in IT have IT related degrees.

IT degree from a 4 year university here!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Jedi425 posted:

I think maybe 1 in 10 guys I have met in IT have IT related degrees.

Master of Software Systems here! It is a degree which you cannot fail, you just have to pay a lot to get one, it is for people without a CS undergrad I have a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm starting to add mobile devices to our Meraki MDM. It was the CFO's turn, with his Android phone. The process was cumbersome compared to an iPhone but I eventually got it sorted out. He came by my office to see the system and I got the feeling he was agitated that it can track the device. He immediately started asking questions about how to turn off wifi and GPS. :tinfoil:

Since another executive lost his drat phone this week and didn't have "find my iPhone" in place it's about time I had a way to track these things.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

stevewm posted:

By the EULA imaging with an OEM image is not allowed, neither is using the OEM key, the one that's baked into every computer for that OEM (magical jellybean key finder and the Internet told me this, multiple unimaged computers from Dell had the same key). The legal side never told the technical side though as they made it very easy to do this. The OEM key requires that a SLIC certificate be installed in the OS which talks to the BIOS or some such that let's it know it's on an OEM computer and that the OS is licensed to be on the computer.

What this means is you can take an OEM install, grab an image, and put it on any licensed computer from the same OEM. If you try to go from a Dell to an HP with the same image it won't work as activation will fail due to having both the wrong key and the wrong SLIC certificate.

What we do is use a technet key (keep reading before you gasp) on a VMed copy of Windows 7. Once the image is ready I take a snapshot, put in the Dell OEM key and the SLIC certificate(two slmgr commands) and grab the image and then revert the snapshot. I use the technet key as the Dell OEM key only works on Dells and tells me Windows is not genuine in a VM.

The short answer is legally you're not supposed to do it but the people that made Windows made it super easy by using two slmgr commands. In other words, another Microsoft licensing gently caress up.

Edit:

stevewm posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen now you need to have a VLK/MAK key, which means buying OS licenses for computers that already come with OS licenses....
This is correct. Also, there's certs for Microsoft licensing, I'm not joking, that's how complicated this poo poo is.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?id=70-671

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 18, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

This is what I understood as well, and as a small shop, we can't really afford to shell out an extra $250 on every new computer (especially since we run fairly low-end computers to begin with).

Honestly, I think Dell and Lenovo are probably pretty comparable, and a lot of it is down to personal preference; there's not going to be a tremendous gap in quality either way.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
And I guess I'm history degree number six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yaos posted:

Edit:

This is correct. Also, there's certs for Microsoft licensing, I'm not joking, that's how complicated this poo poo is.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?id=70-671

Yeah, that would never fly in my company.. It was hard enough getting approval to replace most of these computers.

Oh well, imaging wouldn't really save me any time anyways as I don't have any software that really needs to be installed. Our ERP/POS/EDI app is accessed over terminal services. We don't use MS Office at all. And since we use Google Apps, everyone uses the Gmail interface for email. The few things that do need to be installed can be rolled out via PDQ Deploy (LibreOffice, PDF reader, Flash) I can usually uninstall crapware the same way..

• Locked thread