Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don't all the cool people call themselves hackers nowadays?

Oh my god the headhunter job titles were nuts when I was looking 6 months ago..."Elite .NET Ninja wanted! Relaxed environment, Uber cool colleagues, and epic after hours game tournaments. Work with other SW Ninjas yatta yatta yatta..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

ranbo das posted:

So I'm working through a degree in Biomedical Engineering, with a pretty heavy EE bias. After attending an Engineering job fair my school put on and seeing most companies had no idea what Biomedical Engineering was, I'm getting a bit :ohdear: about my major, but a big part of that could be my location (East Coast, pretty much 0 biotech stuff happening in my state). Did I screw myself picking an Engineering degree in a smaller field?

No. Move to San Diego and work at one of our gazillion biomedical megacorps or startups.

Hologic (Genprobe)
Illumina
Alere
Nuvasive
Moog (not the synth company)
Carefusion
Practically every company located in La Jolla, Sorrento Valley, and Mira Mesa neighborhoods
Or get your PhD!

P.S. if any goon is starting his or her own beer brewing company, hire me, please. I can program your PLC system and also design the piping system and so forth.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2013

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

French Canadian posted:

No. Move to San Diego and work at one of our gazillion biomedical megacorps or startups.

Hologic (Genprobe)
Illumina
Alere
Nuvasive
Moog (not the synth company)
Carefusion
Practically every company located in La Jolla, Sorrento Valley, and Mira Mesa neighborhoods
Or get your PhD!

Very true. Seems like every technical person I meet down here either works in biomed or at Qualcomm. Plus the weather is decent and the "scenery" isn't too bad either.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

SeaBass posted:

Very true. Seems like every technical person I meet down here either works in biomed or at Qualcomm. Plus the weather is decent and the "scenery" isn't too bad either.

Don't forget our fellow defense contracting companies (gently caress them forever).

an skeleton posted:

Where's Software Engineers on that list--

Oh, right, we're not "real" engineers. :(

Qualcomm has a lot of "software engineer" but they don't exactly call them that, I think.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

French Canadian posted:

Don't forget our fellow defense contracting companies (gently caress them forever).
I'm trying to forget as I work for one and we recently went through a merger and reorganization. Our group went from 5 people to 2 people. They got rid of the support staff and left us engineers to take care of everything. Good times . . .

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2023

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Uhg. I've put in dozens of hours getting one-on-one help from my circuit analysis professor trying to keep an A in the class. Went into the final with an 89.9. Spent a ton of time studying, with the professor, doing practice problems, old tests, etc. Needed a 90.0 to bump it up.

Walked out of test feeling like I'd be lucky to have passed. oh well.

drat supernodes.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

KetTarma posted:

Uhg. I've put in dozens of hours getting one-on-one help from my circuit analysis professor trying to keep an A in the class. Went into the final with an 89.9. Spent a ton of time studying, with the professor, doing practice problems, old tests, etc. Needed a 90.0 to bump it up.

Walked out of test feeling like I'd be lucky to have passed. oh well.

drat supernodes.

Eh you've got internships right? I don't think grades above a B make a significant difference. Plus no matter the grade, you did all that studying so you probably learned a lot anyway which will become evident in the long run.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Anyone have a good resource for judging how much money I should be making? Next week my boss and I are going to talk about bringing me on full time and I am worried about undervaluing myself.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Glassdoor, or any of the other salary sites, should be able to give you a baseline. Also since you currently work for the company you may be able to find the salary ranges for your position as I know my company posts them along with the CoL adjustment.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

asur posted:

Glassdoor, or any of the other salary sites, should be able to give you a baseline. Also since you currently work for the company you may be able to find the salary ranges for your position as I know my company posts them along with the CoL adjustment.

Glassdoor has been a big help for salary range and now I am working on getting a feel for benefits. Its a very small company so I am prepared to ask for what I'm worth and then come down in exchange for cool benefits like paternity leave, vacation, flexible hours, etc, etc. Anyone have any opinions about negotiation resources?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
What's all this about software engineers not being engineers <:saddowns:>

At my work, systems and software engineering are one group and almost everyone was an aerospace major so maybe we're just weird or something.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

THE RED MENACE posted:

What's all this about software engineers not being engineers <:saddowns:>

At my work, systems and software engineering are one group and almost everyone was an aerospace major so maybe we're just weird or something.

The software/IT community is notorious for calling anyone remotely technical an engineer for credibility purposes. Some engineers who have earned the title take offense to that. I used to but then I realized how silly that was, plus the "Yeah, but I'm an engineer too!" types are fun to screw with.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

"You dont need a degree to be an engineer. You're wasting your time learning all of that stuff." is something I hear a lot from my military friends.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

KetTarma posted:

"You dont need a degree to be an engineer. You're wasting your time learning all of that stuff." is something I hear a lot from my military friends.

Your military frinds are loving morons. You can tell them that SeaBass the US Navy vet with a BSEE and PE and a guaranteed job said so.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I get into fights with them all the time about the value of their diploma mill degrees. One of them was just recently telling me that I was talking down to him for doing a bullshit degree program (90 credits for military experience) because he doesnt have time to go to a real school.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
They're kind of right inasmuch as most of what you learn in college is often useless in real world engineering, but I doubt that's what they mean.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

SeaBass posted:

The software/IT community is notorious for calling anyone remotely technical an engineer for credibility purposes. Some engineers who have earned the title take offense to that. I used to but then I realized how silly that was, plus the "Yeah, but I'm an engineer too!" types are fun to screw with.

People who actually study software engineering probably aren't going to be any better, if my school is any indication. They changed their program from computer science to software engineering to comply with abet guidelines for software engineering, and the end result is two extra classes on requirements specification and "design", with them having scrapped the algorithms class and the computer architecture class to make room.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm in my final year of a BEBB (bachelor of engineering and business, mechanical engineering and human resource management) at the university of Southern Queensland in Australia. Find it interesting but the gist I've got from graduates is that of the limited amount of work you use from the coursework. That being because most cad packages now do thermal and stress analyses, and some dynamics stuff. They teach this stuff incase the computers poo poo the bed and you have to work it out in a hurry or double check against a calculated value from the computers if it doesn't seem right.

The other gist I've gotten from friends who've graduated is that they use matlab if they're doing their EngD or research project work where it's needed, but most rarely use it. I'm aiming more toward automation, automotive and heavy industrial with most of my electives being electrical subjects like linear system design and such, so that there's knowledge in electrical wiring theory for any automation or hydraulic system requirements

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

KetTarma posted:

This is what people said before the 2008 crash and then proceeded to be unemployed for 4 years. You can get an engineering degree from a humble state school and put the time and dedication to become a professional engineer, and if you're not a scrub, work is absolutely guaranteed.

Listen to SeaBass, especially if you're in any branch of the service, a PE is the loving cat's pajamas for veterans.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Are there any Mechanical engineers who have taken the PE exam, and still have their review book? If so, any chance you would want to part with it? I was thinking about buying http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Engineering-Reference-Manual-Exam/dp/1591264146 but cannot come to terms with the price tag. Any experience buying an edition down and using it for the exam? I'm taking it this April in KY since they are now allowing people to take it before they have completed their four years of experience as long as they have a BS in Engineering and have passed the FE.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

60 semester hours left now that today is over. Whew.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

Halfway already?

I just reached the halfway point of my masters, woohoo! Still waiting for one of my profs to get off his rear end and grade my final project, but I'm pretty sure I did really well on it.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

nbakyfan posted:

Are there any Mechanical engineers who have taken the PE exam, and still have their review book? If so, any chance you would want to part with it? I was thinking about buying http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Engineering-Reference-Manual-Exam/dp/1591264146 but cannot come to terms with the price tag. Any experience buying an edition down and using it for the exam? I'm taking it this April in KY since they are now allowing people to take it before they have completed their four years of experience as long as they have a BS in Engineering and have passed the FE.

You can totally buy an old edition. I think a total of four people at my office have taken the exam with the same old rear end edition of the Lindbergh book.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KetTarma posted:

I was hoping to be halfway starting this year but I guess I'm on the three year plan because of the curriculum at my university. Five years isn't ideal, but if it means more chances to look for internships or do research for a possible shot at grad school, I guess worse things could have happened.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Done with the last exam before christmas, just 2.5 years until my bachelor degree! :toot:

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Any environmental engineers here? I am currently a meteorologist looking to get out of weather forecasting, and environmental engineering looked like it could be something somewhat related, but I would like some input from you all.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Shipon posted:

I was hoping to be halfway starting this year but I guess I'm on the three year plan because of the curriculum at my university. Five years isn't ideal, but if it means more chances to look for internships or do research for a possible shot at grad school, I guess worse things could have happened.

My school was the same way. The curriculum was not very flexible and graduating in 4 years was the exception, not the norm. Employers are more concerned with what you learned and how you can apply it rather than how long it took you to graduate.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
Does anyone have any insight into the NYC job market for mechanical engineers? I graduated in May and took a high paying software job for 6 months which I hated and left. I really want to get into a proper ME position but I don't have any local connections, so I'm just blindly applying at the moment which isn't necessarily the most effective method.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

MourningGlory posted:

Does anyone have any insight into the NYC job market for mechanical engineers? I graduated in May and took a high paying software job for 6 months which I hated and left. I really want to get into a proper ME position but I don't have any local connections, so I'm just blindly applying at the moment which isn't necessarily the most effective method.

What do you want to do? I am in NYC, and if you're into construction and such, you'll never be lacking work in the MEP field. It isn't glamorous or challenging necessarily, but it pays well and you get all sorts of additional income if you have a PE.

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
I just wrote my final exam for my degree :unsmith:. Only my thesis project left and I can call myself an engineer!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

What's it on? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

14 credit hours between me and my bachelor's now. And my department head just hinted about funding for a masters. This has been a good week.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Olothreutes posted:

14 credit hours between me and my bachelor's now. And my department head just hinted about funding for a masters. This has been a good week.

Don't be a fool, stay in school. The real world sucks balls.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

osker posted:

What do you want to do? I am in NYC, and if you're into construction and such, you'll never be lacking work in the MEP field. It isn't glamorous or challenging necessarily, but it pays well and you get all sorts of additional income if you have a PE.

Just PMed you, but I'm definitely interested in MEP stuff. I like infrastructure and construction.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SeaBass posted:

I got six figures that say otherwise.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SeaBass posted:

I'd gladly trade a year of six figure salary for another year of college partying. Ah, youth!

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Noctone posted:

I got six figures that say otherwise.

I guess I'm making my six figures the hard way, i.e. earning it. Congrats on the cushy gig.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Guys I think he means he has six pictorials explaining the merits of being a graduated engineer. Vector graphics I'd hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
Don't mind me I'm just pissed that our group went from 5 people to 2 people and I'm picking up the slack for two of the laid off folks.